Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF surgery 14 months ago and have traded one pain for another

Posted by Abby on 12/11/01 at 14:55 (066734)

Well I no longer have pain on the inside of my heel from my heel spur, I now have a burning, black and blue sensation on and around my inside ankle. The podiatrist that performed the EPF surgery x-rayed the ankle and found an ankle spur, which he suggested I have removed. I got a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle problems only and he did an MRI because he felt the spur was much too small to be giving me this much pain. The MRI didn't show anything significant. He's now suggested doing arthroscopic surgery to clean around the ankle joint. He told me that he doesn't do EPF surgery, he said it changes the whole dynamics of the foot. What does this mean? I forgot to ask this question. Also, what would arthroscopic surgery 'clean out' from my ankle joint? Would this remove the ankle spur? He did say something about scar tissue but doesn't surgery cause scar tissue eventually? Thanks for giving me your time. I'm going to ask more questions of my doctor but it's weeks before I can get another appointment.

Re: EPF surgery 14 months ago and have traded one pain for another

DR Zuckerman on 12/11/01 at 17:17 (066756)

Hi,
Very unusual for the pain to be on the inside of your ankle joint. What your orthopedic doctor is referring about epf changing the foot is due to the shifting of weight from the inside of the foot to the outside of the foot. The plantar fascia support the longitudinal arch and when it is cut it becomes weaken. In your case from my experience you had ankle problem-spur before the epf surgery. The surgery enhanced this condition. I have seen this with pf releases of all kinds. The cleaning out of the ankle or removal of the imflamed tissue will and should relieve your pain. May return down the road if the ankle is reinjured.

Abby on 12/12/01 at 20:56 (066863)

Hi Dr. Z. I did not have ankle pain before the surgery. It appeared about 2 months post-op. Will arthroscopic surgery remove the spur as well?

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/12/01 at 22:48 (066866)

They will remove the spur and in addition any tissue without the ankle joint that is diseased

DR Zuckerman on 12/11/01 at 17:17 (066756)

Hi,
Very unusual for the pain to be on the inside of your ankle joint. What your orthopedic doctor is referring about epf changing the foot is due to the shifting of weight from the inside of the foot to the outside of the foot. The plantar fascia support the longitudinal arch and when it is cut it becomes weaken. In your case from my experience you had ankle problem-spur before the epf surgery. The surgery enhanced this condition. I have seen this with pf releases of all kinds. The cleaning out of the ankle or removal of the imflamed tissue will and should relieve your pain. May return down the road if the ankle is reinjured.

Abby on 12/12/01 at 20:56 (066863)

Hi Dr. Z. I did not have ankle pain before the surgery. It appeared about 2 months post-op. Will arthroscopic surgery remove the spur as well?

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/12/01 at 22:48 (066866)

They will remove the spur and in addition any tissue without the ankle joint that is diseased