Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How often do you see your POD?

Posted by Kathy G on 12/11/01 at 16:51 (066751)

This is a really stupid question, I know, but how often do most of you go to your Podiatrist? It seems as though mine has done just about all he can do for me. I'm not a candidate for surgery and, after quitting my stand-up job, I was making progress until I sprained my ankle in early October.

He's a wonderful person and very supportive but I really can't see the sense in wasting his time, when he really has no answers for me, other than resting, stretching, icing, etc. I have custom orthotics and have been to PT. On the other hand, I haven't asked him about night splints because I'm a very light sleeper and I believe they would drive me crazy. My PF isn't worst in the morning; it's worst in the afternoon after I've been on my feet. He says it is, indeed, PF though. I mean, it hurts to walk in the morning, but nothing intolerable. It's on days like today, when I attempted to shop at the mall, that I wonder if I should be doing something more.

He's well-respected and has disussed my case with his partner, so I don't think another POD is the answer. I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself today, but I did wonder. Do others go every 6 months, every month, every year?

Re: How often do you see your POD?

JoAnn Fl on 12/11/01 at 21:22 (066778)

I've only been twice since I found out in Sept. I feel the same as you do......what more can they do? If it gets worse I'll have to go, but till then I'll just do what I can at home.

BrianG on 12/12/01 at 10:18 (066824)

Hi Kathy,

I'm almost in the same boat as you are. After 5 years, my Pod told me I was not a candidate for surgery, and there wasn't much more he could do for me. I could still see him if I wanted, but really, whats the use? He did refer me back to my GP, for treatment of pain. Do you tape your feet on a regular basis? That is the major thing I am doing now, while waiting for ESWT to come to my area. Good luck

BCG

Kathy G on 12/12/01 at 10:33 (066826)

Hi Brian,

I've tried the taping but it didn't seem to help. Of course, I am allergic to the tape, even dermoplast (I think that's what it is) so I'm not a great candidate for it. After 3 months of vigilant rest, icing, and taping, I was really making progress. Then I sprained my ankle. So, I'm going to be back at square-one until I can get out of this stupid air-cast.

Thanks for your input. Hang in there!

JoAnn Fl on 12/11/01 at 21:22 (066778)

I've only been twice since I found out in Sept. I feel the same as you do......what more can they do? If it gets worse I'll have to go, but till then I'll just do what I can at home.

BrianG on 12/12/01 at 10:18 (066824)

Hi Kathy,

I'm almost in the same boat as you are. After 5 years, my Pod told me I was not a candidate for surgery, and there wasn't much more he could do for me. I could still see him if I wanted, but really, whats the use? He did refer me back to my GP, for treatment of pain. Do you tape your feet on a regular basis? That is the major thing I am doing now, while waiting for ESWT to come to my area. Good luck

BCG

Kathy G on 12/12/01 at 10:33 (066826)

Hi Brian,

I've tried the taping but it didn't seem to help. Of course, I am allergic to the tape, even dermoplast (I think that's what it is) so I'm not a great candidate for it. After 3 months of vigilant rest, icing, and taping, I was really making progress. Then I sprained my ankle. So, I'm going to be back at square-one until I can get out of this stupid air-cast.

Thanks for your input. Hang in there!