Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back of the Heel Spur

Posted by James S on 12/11/01 at 20:34 (066775)

I have spurs on the back of both of my heels and have been in pain for the past year. (espically in the morning when I first wake up) My last visit to the docoter was in June of this year. He recomended streching and heel lifts. Ive been wearing the lifts ever since and have had very little relef. I recently began icing and a lot of streching throughout the day and it has helped a little but not much. Latley my ankles have been sore (maybe from streching so much) so I went out 3 days ago and bought some ACE Bandges for each ankle. I've been wraping my ankle and foot up for the last 3 nights and Its the best thing I have ever done. I have been PAIN FREE for the past 3 days.
I don't know why this has helped my pain or how long it will continue to but I just wanted to shre this with anyone who might be going through the same thing. I feel like running a few miles.

Re: Back of the Heel Spur

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 20:42 (066777)

James, I am glad you are feeling some relief from your pain!!! Even though you feel like running, I would suggest caution and resuming activities slowly. Then you will give yourself a better chance to heal.

I have no idea why the ace bandages worked either, but you must be doing something right. :)

Carole C

James S on 12/12/01 at 18:09 (066851)

Thanks for the reply, I will take your advice in resuming my activities slowly. Another day with the Ace bandages and still no pain. I have a feeling that it (the pain) will be back soon though.

Pam B on 12/21/01 at 21:15 (067621)

I have been suffering with these things since back surgery x2......this summer it began acting up again and by October, I was in the podiatrist office......I have had 5 cortisone shots, inserts in my shoes as well as heel cushions, taping foot,heel cups,as well as ace bandage, ice, celebrex, darvocet, ultrasound and ace bandages.......as of two weeks ago he casted me from the knee down in hopes it will relieve the pain.....this is a last ditch effort prior to surgery.......I asked him if he thought it would work and his answer was,he expects it will give me relief but he believes it will return......now with the right foot screwed up, the left one is becoming symptomatic again :( had to get a shot in that one last nite.......he is hoping it is only because of the way I have been walking for the past few months......so I guess what I am trying to say is that I would not get my hopes up for it to completly go away but if it keeps you from where I think I am headed, do it as long as you can stand it......good luck to you.........Pam

Carole C on 12/11/01 at 20:42 (066777)

James, I am glad you are feeling some relief from your pain!!! Even though you feel like running, I would suggest caution and resuming activities slowly. Then you will give yourself a better chance to heal.

I have no idea why the ace bandages worked either, but you must be doing something right. :)

Carole C

James S on 12/12/01 at 18:09 (066851)

Thanks for the reply, I will take your advice in resuming my activities slowly. Another day with the Ace bandages and still no pain. I have a feeling that it (the pain) will be back soon though.

Pam B on 12/21/01 at 21:15 (067621)

I have been suffering with these things since back surgery x2......this summer it began acting up again and by October, I was in the podiatrist office......I have had 5 cortisone shots, inserts in my shoes as well as heel cushions, taping foot,heel cups,as well as ace bandage, ice, celebrex, darvocet, ultrasound and ace bandages.......as of two weeks ago he casted me from the knee down in hopes it will relieve the pain.....this is a last ditch effort prior to surgery.......I asked him if he thought it would work and his answer was,he expects it will give me relief but he believes it will return......now with the right foot screwed up, the left one is becoming symptomatic again :( had to get a shot in that one last nite.......he is hoping it is only because of the way I have been walking for the past few months......so I guess what I am trying to say is that I would not get my hopes up for it to completly go away but if it keeps you from where I think I am headed, do it as long as you can stand it......good luck to you.........Pam