Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HERBAL COX-2

Posted by Ann F. on 12/12/01 at 19:29 (066857)

Does anyone have any information/input on 'Zyflamend'--a supplement which claims to be a HERBAL COX-2 INHIBITOR. I found this in my local health food store. The web site address for the company is http://www.new-chapter.com

I would be interested from input from anyone who has tried this as an anti-inflammatory for PF. My only connection to the company is as a purchaser of a single bottle of capsules. --Ann

Re: HERBAL COX-2

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/01 at 15:03 (067214)

Their web site lists the ingredients--herbs with anti-inflammatory effects.
Are they COX-2 specific? Hard to say. The preparation appears harmless, well though out and is definitely worth a try.
Ed

nancy w on 12/17/01 at 19:00 (067248)

I have tried the cream and found that it gave an unbearable burning sensation after a few hours. i haunt the health food stores thinking there has got to be a 'natural' cure for this miserable disorder, but haven't come up with anything yet, and I have tried some REALLY flaky things! But, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas!

John h on 12/18/01 at 17:23 (067347)

Have you tried Australian Oil of Euculyptus? Better yet: Time?

nancy w on 12/18/01 at 18:08 (067355)

No, I haven't tried the Australian thing, but I have tried, castoroil, flax seed oil, and some spice. Time has been the thing that I have tried the most and nothing is working. Any ideas? Nancy W

Barbara TX on 12/19/01 at 16:09 (067413)

Isn't that the 'active' ingredient in the Jade Balm, John. Are you still slathering up daily just like me? I am keeping up until some intelligent person tells me to quit it. I can't trust Dr. Z because he is too nice about it. He told me that my feet didn't look big at all (RIGHT). What is your pain level these days, JH? B.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/19/01 at 22:45 (067440)

I saw a bottle of Zyflamend at a local health supermarket yesterday and bought it. Gave a couple capsules to my wife who was not sure but thought that her back felt a bit better--she will have to try it longer. I popped a couple capsules on the way to work this morning--did not notice very much happening but I was not very sore. Lots of oil of oregano in it--burped it up a couple times, whew...had to make a run out of the treatment room for breath mints.
Ed

Re: tape

john h on 12/20/01 at 09:22 (067461)

Barbara: My pain level for the past 4 days has been one (1). It had jumped to a 2 because I did something stupid. Four days ago I started the two strip method of taping with 1 1/2' lueko tape, I think without question this helps my PF and I think everyone should give taping a try for at least a week. It is simple, inexpensive, and if you do it correctly is probably without any possible side effects. Last summer when I climbed up the mountain I taped my feet and had no bad effects at all from a climb up a steep mountain walking over big rocks most of the way. I sometimes suspect there are many of you out there who have not tried taping. Do not overlook this treatmen.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/01 at 15:03 (067214)

Their web site lists the ingredients--herbs with anti-inflammatory effects.
Are they COX-2 specific? Hard to say. The preparation appears harmless, well though out and is definitely worth a try.
Ed

nancy w on 12/17/01 at 19:00 (067248)

I have tried the cream and found that it gave an unbearable burning sensation after a few hours. i haunt the health food stores thinking there has got to be a 'natural' cure for this miserable disorder, but haven't come up with anything yet, and I have tried some REALLY flaky things! But, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas!

John h on 12/18/01 at 17:23 (067347)

Have you tried Australian Oil of Euculyptus? Better yet: Time?

nancy w on 12/18/01 at 18:08 (067355)

No, I haven't tried the Australian thing, but I have tried, castoroil, flax seed oil, and some spice. Time has been the thing that I have tried the most and nothing is working. Any ideas? Nancy W

Barbara TX on 12/19/01 at 16:09 (067413)

Isn't that the 'active' ingredient in the Jade Balm, John. Are you still slathering up daily just like me? I am keeping up until some intelligent person tells me to quit it. I can't trust Dr. Z because he is too nice about it. He told me that my feet didn't look big at all (RIGHT). What is your pain level these days, JH? B.

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/19/01 at 22:45 (067440)

I saw a bottle of Zyflamend at a local health supermarket yesterday and bought it. Gave a couple capsules to my wife who was not sure but thought that her back felt a bit better--she will have to try it longer. I popped a couple capsules on the way to work this morning--did not notice very much happening but I was not very sore. Lots of oil of oregano in it--burped it up a couple times, whew...had to make a run out of the treatment room for breath mints.
Ed

Re: tape

john h on 12/20/01 at 09:22 (067461)

Barbara: My pain level for the past 4 days has been one (1). It had jumped to a 2 because I did something stupid. Four days ago I started the two strip method of taping with 1 1/2' lueko tape, I think without question this helps my PF and I think everyone should give taping a try for at least a week. It is simple, inexpensive, and if you do it correctly is probably without any possible side effects. Last summer when I climbed up the mountain I taped my feet and had no bad effects at all from a climb up a steep mountain walking over big rocks most of the way. I sometimes suspect there are many of you out there who have not tried taping. Do not overlook this treatmen.