Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I tripped over a box, and wonder about less pain?

Posted by Tammie on 12/13/01 at 13:41 (066887)

Recently in the middle of the night I was rambling around trying to find some comfortable place for my troublesome foot and I tripped over a box.
This is really strange is why I am posting for some thoughts on it. My ankle was swollen and at first I thought maybe I might have broken it , but I think a slight twist more likly. But this is what is strange before this I could barely flex my toes up toward my body with out pain and pulling and now I can there is some pain but not as much as before. I wonder if I did something good in a round about way?

Now the nervy stuff is not gone darn it, cant have everything I suppose, but it is very strange that the pulling is gone. I have read here before about people who have ripped there pf? I just wondered if something like that could have happened? I had the surgery for it in April so wonder if this could even happen?I still have pain I am not saying it has gone and I do have swelling no bruising anymore but that particular tightness is gone. The lump is there that I have had and the other nervy stuff like i said unfortuantly but this has puzzeled me somewhat any ideas? I do see my pod tomorrow and will ask him about it while there. When I did it I thought I might die but it has lessoned somewhat the pain in that area. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Re: I tripped over a box, and wonder about less pain?

Laurie R on 12/13/01 at 15:40 (066898)

Dear Tammie , From what you are asking it shoulds like you ripped some scar tissue , which is a good thing . As long as your pain is less ,that is all that matters . One time I triped over the cat and I felt this huge rip and boy did it hurt , then in a few minutes it was gone and my foot felt better. I told my therapist what had happened and he said I ripped the scar tissue ... Just a thought . You do see your doctor tomarrow right ? You can mention it to him and see what he says .

How is your pain over all , do you feel any better or is it still really bad? I wish you only the best and I hope your pain is down today ....

Much love to you always ,Laurie R

BrianG on 12/13/01 at 16:05 (066899)

Yes, please let us know what your Pod thinks. If this works, I'm going to run arond the block as fast as I possibly can. Hey, I'm about to be pain free !!! :*)

BCG

Tammie on 12/13/01 at 16:57 (066905)

Heh I didnt say it cured everything lol only that the tightness is gone . Believe me the nerve stuff is still around ,and there is some pain in the arch area but there is also a noticable difference in how much I can flex foot up without the horrible stiffness and pain there. I will let u know his thought on the matter, if any. Do u think I am grasping? I am not sure really what happened just that I felt a ripping sensation and after the initial pain it actually felt like a relief in that area. So if is any significant will let u know. I know I am a bit on crazy side lately so hehe dont put to much into what i say. Who knows about the feet they are a mystery to me that is for sure. I will take any and all relief I can get , when I get it and enjoy for however long it lasts. Now wonder what I can do to scare the nervey stuff goodbye, maybe the mri lol. will post with pods thoughts maybe tomorrow.

Re: Ok pods verdict is in, does not recomend falling or tripping but hehe if it helps ,

Tammie on 12/14/01 at 18:46 (066991)

Ok , seen the pod man. I had a great appt. he took me as I walked in the door how was that for service first for everything! ( there christmas party was tonight wanted to get done lol) ! He was very happy get this did u hear this ( HAPPY) with my foot! He believes that I may have ripped some scar tissue away as I do have a lot more flexability. The swelling was down for once, tho I had the last two days off from work and have really been babying it.Yes there is allot of nervy stuff still but he insists this can take several months to heal. He told me this si the first positive apt. I have in months!

He told me he was sorry I tripped over boxes and the bruising is nothing to be concerned with as the little swelling in and around ankle area where bruising is. But he said this may have worked to your advantage in a round and about way! Also he thinks the injections he has been giving have done some good with whatever I have no clue as aI was on cloud 9 as it has been so very long since there was a shred of good news! He said dont get cocky and think this is healed and u can go jogging or mall walking YET, but there is hope that maybe things may come around if this nerve settles. I told him I have gotton some sleep with the help of meds he gave he was happy to hear that but disapointed that I still need them to help with the pain ( he does not like to hear pain at night) Not sure why but definetly figured this out as the frown appears and the tapping begins. So I am not sure where I am at or what next but see him in 2 weeks again , and the new dr. next week . Thought about canceling it but decided nope I still think I need to go . So this is my report and some maybe decent news for a change? Hugs to all.

Re: Ok pods verdict is in, does not recomend falling or tripping but hehe if it helps ,

Julie on 12/15/01 at 02:44 (067018)

It's great news, Tammie, it really is. Now don't go mad, don't push your luck, and watch your step. No more wandering around in the middle of the night tripping over boxes.

Keep healing. This is the best news for a long time.

Re: Ok now some realizations from within,

Tammie on 12/15/01 at 10:30 (067036)

Yes the news was good for me and was glad to have even a glimmer as been a long bumpy road. I was thinking maybe this was his gift to me for the holidays( the gift of hope) as I lie awake last night ,wondering if I was imagining that the swelling was back and that tho I can flex my foot without that stopping pull I still have the nervy stuff and what could I possibly do to fix it? I took some meds and went to sleep thinking that Tammie u know why it is like this what did u do right after going to the dr and after he warned u that it was not fixed.

I have to say I seem to be my worst enemy and I do know this as I have been watching and recording why and when things flare, and I did take my daughter to shop at none other then walmart, for some christmas gifts. And need I say more the lines and the people were long and unforgiving and anyone with feet trouble know this is not the answer. As I did the standing and well the child like wiggling as tho they have to use the restroom,I am sure people thought that was my trouble. I knew I was in trouble that night and yes I was.

I can admit and see that even being off 2 days work and tho I worked yesterday,cautious to stay off feet as much as I could.Since it was party most of day was pretty easy to do.So the foot was in good shape, I had iced thru out day and have been allot lately.Mostly due to my fall, I knew the treatment was the old R.I.C.E and imediatly followed it. I believe that this really helped my troubles .It was not a cure of all, as there seems to be the nervy stuff that never completly leaves.But actually does calm down to a degree when I behave.

I just thought, a bit of shopping with my daughter could not be to bad.I really feel badly that I can't do it with her like we used to. She had wanted the mall and I refrained from that. I told her no which for me is hard to do!I knew I would really pay the price . I had thought a few hours in walmart would not do to much harm, but it seemed to. I really did not realize it would. I knew I was in trouble, I knew it a short time into it and standing in line was for sure. I became grumpy and just wanted to go home. My poor daughter was mad because I cant do things with her. She was upset with me and angry. That made me feel like a faliure again,our time was always special. Now I felt again I failed her there. So with the feeling sorry for myself for failing my daughter, and her expectations I started thinking of life! All its lessons. You all have been so patient with me, so supportive trying to show me ways to help myself. I started thinking maybe this is a way to teach or help my daughter with lessons on life.

This morning I aploligized for not being able to do what she likes,knowing that I enjoy shopping also. I explained to her that does not mean I dont love her or want to do thease things like we have always done .But sometimes in life we have to improvise and change the ways we do them. Not that we can not do things but we must find ways that it will not hurt either of us. So I told her that we WOULD go to the mall and her dad will go with us. I still can be a part of each of there lives but a little bit less stress on my sick feet. The thought of being with dad is like oh no mom he will not be helpful, and be a pain,( she is 13) but we are going to try it tonight as we were going to dinner it was our 25 wedding aniv this week. He says he doesnt mind tho he is not a shopper!But he is a softie, she will enjoy it ! I can people watch at times as a rest.To be sure I listen as a reminder ,I am putting on my boot. That tends to instill that something is wrong with my foot, and I need to be aware of what I am doing to it. I do not like the boot it is heavy and hot and uncomfortable at times. But it also is a good rest for my foot and a big reminder to all that yes mom does have a real problem.The dr,has told me often to use it.But me the unhearing super person lol thinks I can do it with no help, then suffer and wonder why .I have got to start hearing and doing even a bit at a time!

I would have been better in a hard cast one that did not remove as then I would have had to leave on. I think in my case that should have been done as I am the bad one, who just does not listen to her body till it is way out of control. I have always been the one to work thru it and get on with it . U dont think about it , it isnt here sort. Unfortuantly that is not helping me and instead is making things worse. Ok now that i have spilled my guts and reasoned this out to my friends here , I reread this and c it is a way to put this on paper and make it all real, do u understand? For some reason when i see it and read it it makes it real and I seem to have to deal with things. I am not sure why this is . Also people here seem to have ways of helping me see things and making me realize that I need to work on ways to make what I want happen with some changes oh I hate that word did u know I am a person who absoulty hates any type of change lol,I have wore my hair the same way for gosh I dont know how many years, hmm maybe I should consider that as a start for change? Interesting but that is me. I have discovered I am not super woman or super mom or super wife, guess what It hurt to find this out, but I am dealing with it a bit at a time. And am keeping my appt. with the new dr. and that to is a change and I am not sure I like it either but will try it. So what do u think am I doing good? Heheh I feel like a child looking to see if I am on right track. I am sorry this is long but I just dont know how to change this either lol. A woman with alot of yap. Hugs to u all!That I will not change not even for my friend Elliot, I want to send him a extra cause gut tells me that he is struggling himself and could use it or maybe a smile ? Thanks for the help and encouragement and hope that someday sometime i can say I am no longer in pain and that my foot is healed, maybe will happen maybe not , but I will try very hard to do what I can to give the better chance for it. It is hard to see when u hurt or are so tired or in my case all above and being very stubborn !I hope that this might help someone else who may be similar and looking for answers and maybe not realizing like me we are are worst enemy.

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 14:59 (067059)

Hi Tammie,

I just read your letter and feel like crying! I think I'm alot like you. I ignored the pain for so long just hoping it would somehow clear up on its own. Of course it never did and now I'm having to make all kinds of changes. I went to Walmart and did the wheelchair thing. It wasn't too bad but I sure missed walking around. I think going early in the morning when there are fewer shoppers is a good thing. Could your daughter push you around? I felt funny walking in to the store and then getting into the wheelchair. I thought the people looking at me were wondering 'why is she getting in a wheelchair? She doesn't look like she needs one!' My daughter is having a hard time adjusting to my PF. She is 11 and wants to go go go... keeps asking when can we do this when can we do that why can't we do this... Funny I was thinking a new hair style might do me good right about now. I'd like something really easy and cute. But it will have to wait till after the Christmas holidays.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!!! Hope you had a wonderful time.
And hoping your feet get better soon!

rebecca

BrianG on 12/15/01 at 16:12 (067066)

Oh Tammie, those WalMart floors!!! Hard tile, covering about 2 feet of concrete. It doesn't get any worse than that, does it? I know you have to shop, but this is why they provide those little electric carts. If there isn't one available when you get in the store, wait for one. Or, why nor rent a nice, light weight wheel chair for the next couple of months. Not for work, just everything else.

Guess I'm going to hold off on 'running' around the block for now, but it's definatly in the back of my mind :*)

BCG

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 16:34 (067070)

Gee, my Walmart doesn't have those little electric carts. All they have is a couple of beat up non-electric wheelchairs.

Now I feel gypped! LOL For several years when my arthritis was so bad and before I was on Celebrex, I wasn't able to go into Walmart because they didn't have the little electric carts. So now I'm finding out that some of them have these electric carts??? GEE. I would have gone across town to another Walmart, had I known that!

In other words, thanks for mentioning this. It's helpful to know these things.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 16:47 (067072)

Don't feel bad about walking to a wheelchair. A lot of people do. I used to feel bad about parking in the handicapped spot and then walking to a wheelchair, until I realized that if I didn't, I'd not be able to walk. A big reason why wheelchairs etc are provided, is to keep people mobile. People who really can't walk at all, couldn't get to them anyway. They have their own wheelchairs; the store wheelchairs are for people who wouldn't go to that huge store without the public wheelchairs, even though they can walk a shorter distance.

People who would condemn you for this are ignorant of the purpose of those wheelchairs, and are not worth a second thought. You know that you won't be using the wheelchair when you are better, and I know you won't either. So, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Carole C

Laurie R on 12/15/01 at 20:39 (067081)

Dear Tammy , You sound like you are on the right track ... Remember everything takes time ... YOu have come a long way ... I really feel after your appointment next week you are going to feel so much better. I know you are scared to go , but it will all be worth it to get the help you need... We all need help at some point , and it is so ok to ask for it .. Sometimes we can't deal with things on are own ..... Hang in there and you know we are all here for you .....

Much love to you and here is a extra special hug for you tonight ...

((((((((((((((((((Tammy)))))))))))))))))))))

Also happy 25 th .......Your friend ,Laurie R

Ken A. on 1/09/02 at 19:55 (069414)

hey when i go to walmart, they have a scooter that i can ride around on...Its functional but not for hot wheelin'

Laurie R on 12/13/01 at 15:40 (066898)

Dear Tammie , From what you are asking it shoulds like you ripped some scar tissue , which is a good thing . As long as your pain is less ,that is all that matters . One time I triped over the cat and I felt this huge rip and boy did it hurt , then in a few minutes it was gone and my foot felt better. I told my therapist what had happened and he said I ripped the scar tissue ... Just a thought . You do see your doctor tomarrow right ? You can mention it to him and see what he says .

How is your pain over all , do you feel any better or is it still really bad? I wish you only the best and I hope your pain is down today ....

Much love to you always ,Laurie R

BrianG on 12/13/01 at 16:05 (066899)

Yes, please let us know what your Pod thinks. If this works, I'm going to run arond the block as fast as I possibly can. Hey, I'm about to be pain free !!! :*)

BCG

Tammie on 12/13/01 at 16:57 (066905)

Heh I didnt say it cured everything lol only that the tightness is gone . Believe me the nerve stuff is still around ,and there is some pain in the arch area but there is also a noticable difference in how much I can flex foot up without the horrible stiffness and pain there. I will let u know his thought on the matter, if any. Do u think I am grasping? I am not sure really what happened just that I felt a ripping sensation and after the initial pain it actually felt like a relief in that area. So if is any significant will let u know. I know I am a bit on crazy side lately so hehe dont put to much into what i say. Who knows about the feet they are a mystery to me that is for sure. I will take any and all relief I can get , when I get it and enjoy for however long it lasts. Now wonder what I can do to scare the nervey stuff goodbye, maybe the mri lol. will post with pods thoughts maybe tomorrow.

Tammie on 12/14/01 at 18:46 (066991)

Ok , seen the pod man. I had a great appt. he took me as I walked in the door how was that for service first for everything! ( there christmas party was tonight wanted to get done lol) ! He was very happy get this did u hear this ( HAPPY) with my foot! He believes that I may have ripped some scar tissue away as I do have a lot more flexability. The swelling was down for once, tho I had the last two days off from work and have really been babying it.Yes there is allot of nervy stuff still but he insists this can take several months to heal. He told me this si the first positive apt. I have in months!

He told me he was sorry I tripped over boxes and the bruising is nothing to be concerned with as the little swelling in and around ankle area where bruising is. But he said this may have worked to your advantage in a round and about way! Also he thinks the injections he has been giving have done some good with whatever I have no clue as aI was on cloud 9 as it has been so very long since there was a shred of good news! He said dont get cocky and think this is healed and u can go jogging or mall walking YET, but there is hope that maybe things may come around if this nerve settles. I told him I have gotton some sleep with the help of meds he gave he was happy to hear that but disapointed that I still need them to help with the pain ( he does not like to hear pain at night) Not sure why but definetly figured this out as the frown appears and the tapping begins. So I am not sure where I am at or what next but see him in 2 weeks again , and the new dr. next week . Thought about canceling it but decided nope I still think I need to go . So this is my report and some maybe decent news for a change? Hugs to all.

Julie on 12/15/01 at 02:44 (067018)

It's great news, Tammie, it really is. Now don't go mad, don't push your luck, and watch your step. No more wandering around in the middle of the night tripping over boxes.

Keep healing. This is the best news for a long time.

Tammie on 12/15/01 at 10:30 (067036)

Yes the news was good for me and was glad to have even a glimmer as been a long bumpy road. I was thinking maybe this was his gift to me for the holidays( the gift of hope) as I lie awake last night ,wondering if I was imagining that the swelling was back and that tho I can flex my foot without that stopping pull I still have the nervy stuff and what could I possibly do to fix it? I took some meds and went to sleep thinking that Tammie u know why it is like this what did u do right after going to the dr and after he warned u that it was not fixed.

I have to say I seem to be my worst enemy and I do know this as I have been watching and recording why and when things flare, and I did take my daughter to shop at none other then walmart, for some christmas gifts. And need I say more the lines and the people were long and unforgiving and anyone with feet trouble know this is not the answer. As I did the standing and well the child like wiggling as tho they have to use the restroom,I am sure people thought that was my trouble. I knew I was in trouble that night and yes I was.

I can admit and see that even being off 2 days work and tho I worked yesterday,cautious to stay off feet as much as I could.Since it was party most of day was pretty easy to do.So the foot was in good shape, I had iced thru out day and have been allot lately.Mostly due to my fall, I knew the treatment was the old R.I.C.E and imediatly followed it. I believe that this really helped my troubles .It was not a cure of all, as there seems to be the nervy stuff that never completly leaves.But actually does calm down to a degree when I behave.

I just thought, a bit of shopping with my daughter could not be to bad.I really feel badly that I can't do it with her like we used to. She had wanted the mall and I refrained from that. I told her no which for me is hard to do!I knew I would really pay the price . I had thought a few hours in walmart would not do to much harm, but it seemed to. I really did not realize it would. I knew I was in trouble, I knew it a short time into it and standing in line was for sure. I became grumpy and just wanted to go home. My poor daughter was mad because I cant do things with her. She was upset with me and angry. That made me feel like a faliure again,our time was always special. Now I felt again I failed her there. So with the feeling sorry for myself for failing my daughter, and her expectations I started thinking of life! All its lessons. You all have been so patient with me, so supportive trying to show me ways to help myself. I started thinking maybe this is a way to teach or help my daughter with lessons on life.

This morning I aploligized for not being able to do what she likes,knowing that I enjoy shopping also. I explained to her that does not mean I dont love her or want to do thease things like we have always done .But sometimes in life we have to improvise and change the ways we do them. Not that we can not do things but we must find ways that it will not hurt either of us. So I told her that we WOULD go to the mall and her dad will go with us. I still can be a part of each of there lives but a little bit less stress on my sick feet. The thought of being with dad is like oh no mom he will not be helpful, and be a pain,( she is 13) but we are going to try it tonight as we were going to dinner it was our 25 wedding aniv this week. He says he doesnt mind tho he is not a shopper!But he is a softie, she will enjoy it ! I can people watch at times as a rest.To be sure I listen as a reminder ,I am putting on my boot. That tends to instill that something is wrong with my foot, and I need to be aware of what I am doing to it. I do not like the boot it is heavy and hot and uncomfortable at times. But it also is a good rest for my foot and a big reminder to all that yes mom does have a real problem.The dr,has told me often to use it.But me the unhearing super person lol thinks I can do it with no help, then suffer and wonder why .I have got to start hearing and doing even a bit at a time!

I would have been better in a hard cast one that did not remove as then I would have had to leave on. I think in my case that should have been done as I am the bad one, who just does not listen to her body till it is way out of control. I have always been the one to work thru it and get on with it . U dont think about it , it isnt here sort. Unfortuantly that is not helping me and instead is making things worse. Ok now that i have spilled my guts and reasoned this out to my friends here , I reread this and c it is a way to put this on paper and make it all real, do u understand? For some reason when i see it and read it it makes it real and I seem to have to deal with things. I am not sure why this is . Also people here seem to have ways of helping me see things and making me realize that I need to work on ways to make what I want happen with some changes oh I hate that word did u know I am a person who absoulty hates any type of change lol,I have wore my hair the same way for gosh I dont know how many years, hmm maybe I should consider that as a start for change? Interesting but that is me. I have discovered I am not super woman or super mom or super wife, guess what It hurt to find this out, but I am dealing with it a bit at a time. And am keeping my appt. with the new dr. and that to is a change and I am not sure I like it either but will try it. So what do u think am I doing good? Heheh I feel like a child looking to see if I am on right track. I am sorry this is long but I just dont know how to change this either lol. A woman with alot of yap. Hugs to u all!That I will not change not even for my friend Elliot, I want to send him a extra cause gut tells me that he is struggling himself and could use it or maybe a smile ? Thanks for the help and encouragement and hope that someday sometime i can say I am no longer in pain and that my foot is healed, maybe will happen maybe not , but I will try very hard to do what I can to give the better chance for it. It is hard to see when u hurt or are so tired or in my case all above and being very stubborn !I hope that this might help someone else who may be similar and looking for answers and maybe not realizing like me we are are worst enemy.

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 14:59 (067059)

Hi Tammie,

I just read your letter and feel like crying! I think I'm alot like you. I ignored the pain for so long just hoping it would somehow clear up on its own. Of course it never did and now I'm having to make all kinds of changes. I went to Walmart and did the wheelchair thing. It wasn't too bad but I sure missed walking around. I think going early in the morning when there are fewer shoppers is a good thing. Could your daughter push you around? I felt funny walking in to the store and then getting into the wheelchair. I thought the people looking at me were wondering 'why is she getting in a wheelchair? She doesn't look like she needs one!' My daughter is having a hard time adjusting to my PF. She is 11 and wants to go go go... keeps asking when can we do this when can we do that why can't we do this... Funny I was thinking a new hair style might do me good right about now. I'd like something really easy and cute. But it will have to wait till after the Christmas holidays.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!!! Hope you had a wonderful time.
And hoping your feet get better soon!

rebecca

BrianG on 12/15/01 at 16:12 (067066)

Oh Tammie, those WalMart floors!!! Hard tile, covering about 2 feet of concrete. It doesn't get any worse than that, does it? I know you have to shop, but this is why they provide those little electric carts. If there isn't one available when you get in the store, wait for one. Or, why nor rent a nice, light weight wheel chair for the next couple of months. Not for work, just everything else.

Guess I'm going to hold off on 'running' around the block for now, but it's definatly in the back of my mind :*)

BCG

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 16:34 (067070)

Gee, my Walmart doesn't have those little electric carts. All they have is a couple of beat up non-electric wheelchairs.

Now I feel gypped! LOL For several years when my arthritis was so bad and before I was on Celebrex, I wasn't able to go into Walmart because they didn't have the little electric carts. So now I'm finding out that some of them have these electric carts??? GEE. I would have gone across town to another Walmart, had I known that!

In other words, thanks for mentioning this. It's helpful to know these things.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 16:47 (067072)

Don't feel bad about walking to a wheelchair. A lot of people do. I used to feel bad about parking in the handicapped spot and then walking to a wheelchair, until I realized that if I didn't, I'd not be able to walk. A big reason why wheelchairs etc are provided, is to keep people mobile. People who really can't walk at all, couldn't get to them anyway. They have their own wheelchairs; the store wheelchairs are for people who wouldn't go to that huge store without the public wheelchairs, even though they can walk a shorter distance.

People who would condemn you for this are ignorant of the purpose of those wheelchairs, and are not worth a second thought. You know that you won't be using the wheelchair when you are better, and I know you won't either. So, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Carole C

Laurie R on 12/15/01 at 20:39 (067081)

Dear Tammy , You sound like you are on the right track ... Remember everything takes time ... YOu have come a long way ... I really feel after your appointment next week you are going to feel so much better. I know you are scared to go , but it will all be worth it to get the help you need... We all need help at some point , and it is so ok to ask for it .. Sometimes we can't deal with things on are own ..... Hang in there and you know we are all here for you .....

Much love to you and here is a extra special hug for you tonight ...

((((((((((((((((((Tammy)))))))))))))))))))))

Also happy 25 th .......Your friend ,Laurie R

Ken A. on 1/09/02 at 19:55 (069414)

hey when i go to walmart, they have a scooter that i can ride around on...Its functional but not for hot wheelin'