Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

We decided surgery and my updated Pod appointment

Posted by Laurie R on 12/14/01 at 11:41 (066950)

Hello to Everyone , Yesterday I had my monthly appointment with my Pod . He had two of the reports from my PM doctor . We went over how the spinal injections helped with the RSD ... For thoes of you that don't know my story I will give you a little back round. I got PF first , I twisted my foot at work 2 and a half years ago . I have been a bartender my whole adult life ... I never had foot problems till then .. I did go to a doctor one day later . He said I had PF . I continued to work on my foot every night for three months. I might add that was the worse thing I could of ever done ... Now I have PF as well as TTS and Tenosynivitis in three tendons I think . I also have a pretty good size Fibroma on my fascia and RSD all in my right foot .

I have been off work now for over two years . I have tired most conservative treatments ... I have had MRI and X-rays , EMG testing , tenogram , PT lot's of hard cast with crutches , walking casts ,air cast , PT , and about 8 or 9 different doctors . Now I see a pain management doctor as well as my Pod .. I do biofeedback as well as I have had three spinal injections for the RSD .

Yesterday my Pod and I and my PM doctor decided to go ahead with surgery to help fix some of the problems . I know a lot of people on this board don't think that surgery is the best . But for me at this time I feel it is the right thing to do . I am in pain 24/7 . And it is only getting worse . Plus I don't just have PF ... My Pod made me wait all this time to see if any of the conservative treatment would help , he did not .

My Pod understands the pain I am in and he wants to help me .. He has always believed my pain and has always been open to any treatment to help me ...

He will take out the fibroma and open my ankle to clean out the tenosynivitis . He is not sure if he is going to do a tts release , he will see if I need it when he is in my ankle ... Then right after surgery I will have to go and have the spinal injections two times a week for the RSD. They have to be very careful with me due to the RSD . Surgery can make RSD worse ....

I am very comfotable with what I have decided . I can not live like this anymore . I think two and half years with conservative treatment is long enough ....

Everyone has a right to their own opinion ,as I did post this on the board . My opinion is I made the right choice .. I have a 100% faith in both my doctors . It is going to be a long road ahead , but I feel I will be healing and not like the way I am now....

I want to thank everyone from this board , your support means the world to me .

My Pod is scheduling my surgery now ,but of course I have to wait for workmans's comp to approve it first ... As soon as I find out I will let you know ...

My very best to all ..Laurie R

Re: We decided surgery and my updated Pod appointment

Carole C on 12/14/01 at 12:00 (066952)

Laurie, I would go for surgery too if I were in your situation. Two and a half years is awfully long, and it doesn't seem like you have improved during that time. You have a life to lead and maybe this will help.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I sure hope this helps. Is he going to do anything for the PF, or is it possible that all this other stuff he's going to do will help your PF?

I don't know what RSD is, really, but from what I've read on this board I know I don't want it! It sounds like he is doing everything he knows how to keep it from getting worse after surgery.

Good luck, and we are rooting for you!

Carole C

Re: Good luck

BrianG on 12/14/01 at 13:12 (066957)

Good luck Laurie. I believe you have done your homework and surgery is the next step for you. I'm sure you have lined up the very best surgeon in your area. And, most importantly, please REST for as long as it takes. I think my frend Tammie would agree :*) Go for it !!!

BCG

Barbara TX on 12/14/01 at 16:04 (066975)

GOOD FOR YOU BRAVE WOMAN! Sounds like a plan to me. You have suffered long enough. I hope that everything goes well. If feels great to have a plan, doesn't it? That gives much hope. B.

Necee on 12/14/01 at 16:11 (066979)

Laurie,

You are such a sweet and dear friend to me. I want whats best for you, and if your Dr's suggest surgery then I'm behind you 100%. I know this has been a very tough battle and I admire you so much for your strength and courage.
Hang in there and I will keep praying for you.
Love you,
Necee

Julie on 12/14/01 at 16:12 (066980)

Laurie, I totally support you in your decision to have surgery. I feel sure it is a good decision. You've waited a very long time to make it, you've tried everything else, and you have a good doctor not only cares about you but who has thought long and hard about the surgery. Everything is in your favour, and I pray that there will be no holdups, that you can have it done soon, and that it will be the answer to your pain.

Nancy N on 12/14/01 at 17:04 (066986)

Laurie--

Like others, I think you are doing the right thing. Those of us who have spoken out against surgery generally do so when the person in question only has PF, and hasn't tried everything else available, especially ESWT. You have such a combination of problems that I suspect ESWT could merely serve to aggravate them, if it did anything at all. So... you grit those teeth and be brave, and we will all keep our fingers crossed that you will get some relief from this surgery. You have a large 'family' out here, and we are all on your side.

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/14/01 at 17:07 (066988)

Hi,

I wish you all the best with your surgery and will alway be here or there to help you thru this . I agree that you can't live like this anymore

Re: Good luck, Brian has good advice

Tammie on 12/14/01 at 18:56 (066993)

Laurie, You know u have my support always! I know that u have struggled for some time with thease sorts of problems and I hope finally that maybe they can help u at least with some or a portion to give u some relief! I will always keep u in my prayers and my thoughts are with u and u know i am here for u as long as u need me!
P.S> Brian is right , I would recomend listening to your dr. with every ounce of patience u can muster and then some!!!!!! Do whatever he askes even if u cant stand to sit or prop your foot up any longer! I think if I had to do it again I would say sedate me as I am bad and I do not listen I push to the limit and then suffer for my uncontrolable urge to prove I am all better and life can move on like it used to be! So please dear friend take it little by little and do as u are asked to ! Dont be a fool like me , if u are going to do it do it the right way! Right Brian? Is this ok did I tell it right? LOL Hindsite is sometimes to late my friend so be good and do the right thing! (((((HUGS))))) to u !

BrianG on 12/14/01 at 21:04 (066997)

Well Tammie, calling yourself a fool might be a bit strong, maybe hard headed is a better word for it :*)
I am the fool for not going out of work 2 years ago when I had benefits. No, I had to continue on, with great pain, working until I had a job with no disabiity provisions. Now that is being a fool !!!!

BCG

Steve P on 12/14/01 at 21:52 (067001)

Laurie -- I always have the sense that you are a very thoughtful & mature person. I also have a very good feeling about your decision. You've taken a thorough & careful approach throughout. You've always done your homework. I share the feelings of all above, that this is the right thing.

Please keep us posted, friend.

Steve

Suzanne D on 12/14/01 at 22:23 (067006)

Laurie, I am with you all the way and will be keeping you in my prayers! You have had such a long road of pain and frustration; I sincerely hope that this surgery will bring very good results! Sometimes it seems to me that is the only answer, and your case would definitely qualify. Just having a plan I'm sure makes you feel better than waking up each day wondering if you will feel any better.

Take care, and God bless you! :-)

Laurie R on 12/15/01 at 00:36 (067015)

Oh my Goodness , Thank you all so much ... All I can say is WOW!!!!! YOu guys are all so very wonderful to me ... Like I have always said I will never give up , I have always been a fighter and I am not going to stop now ... I kept thinking in my mind that their was no way I could ever go through another surgery . I have had 7 on my stomach for endometriosis . But this is not my stomach and my way of thinking has changed a lot in these last few months ... I can not deal with the pain I have been in for much longer .. It is terrible and it is always there ...

I feel really good about the surgery . It will be a long road , but a healing road . So instead of me not healing like now , I feel I have a very good chance to get some relief . We knew it will not take all my pain away , but I will be happy with 50% ....I will still have the RSD to deal with . But I will go two times a week for the spinal injections to try to keep the RSD under some type of control ... I feel I have two wonderful doctors that are doing everything they know how to help me .

Thank you again everyone for all your support. I need you all now more then ever . I mean this from the bottom of my heart...

Much love to all , Laurie R

Beverly on 12/15/01 at 10:02 (067032)

Laurie,

I wish you the best best of luck with this surgery. You are brave to go into the unknown. I agree with you, I'd be happy if there were something out there to improve me by 50%. Fifty percent is a lot to a person in pain.
I'm hoping you get much more than 50%.
Keep us posted.
Lots of hugs,
Beverly

Re: Amazing strength

Carmen H on 12/15/01 at 11:41 (067041)

You have such amazing strength Laurie. As you know you are in my prayers.
Much love to you
Carmen

wendyn on 12/15/01 at 11:46 (067043)

I haven't been to the board much - so I missed your initial post.

Laurie, I am happy that they think they can get in there and start to fix things up.

As always, we will all be here for you every step of the way.

Any idea when it will happen?

Anthony P on 12/16/01 at 21:59 (067166)

Hi Laurie , I too just saw your post today. As always good luck to you and
I support you all the way that surgery will get you better.
My Prayers To You Your Friend Anthony P

Carole C on 12/14/01 at 12:00 (066952)

Laurie, I would go for surgery too if I were in your situation. Two and a half years is awfully long, and it doesn't seem like you have improved during that time. You have a life to lead and maybe this will help.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I sure hope this helps. Is he going to do anything for the PF, or is it possible that all this other stuff he's going to do will help your PF?

I don't know what RSD is, really, but from what I've read on this board I know I don't want it! It sounds like he is doing everything he knows how to keep it from getting worse after surgery.

Good luck, and we are rooting for you!

Carole C

Re: Good luck

BrianG on 12/14/01 at 13:12 (066957)

Good luck Laurie. I believe you have done your homework and surgery is the next step for you. I'm sure you have lined up the very best surgeon in your area. And, most importantly, please REST for as long as it takes. I think my frend Tammie would agree :*) Go for it !!!

BCG

Barbara TX on 12/14/01 at 16:04 (066975)

GOOD FOR YOU BRAVE WOMAN! Sounds like a plan to me. You have suffered long enough. I hope that everything goes well. If feels great to have a plan, doesn't it? That gives much hope. B.

Necee on 12/14/01 at 16:11 (066979)

Laurie,

You are such a sweet and dear friend to me. I want whats best for you, and if your Dr's suggest surgery then I'm behind you 100%. I know this has been a very tough battle and I admire you so much for your strength and courage.
Hang in there and I will keep praying for you.
Love you,
Necee

Julie on 12/14/01 at 16:12 (066980)

Laurie, I totally support you in your decision to have surgery. I feel sure it is a good decision. You've waited a very long time to make it, you've tried everything else, and you have a good doctor not only cares about you but who has thought long and hard about the surgery. Everything is in your favour, and I pray that there will be no holdups, that you can have it done soon, and that it will be the answer to your pain.

Nancy N on 12/14/01 at 17:04 (066986)

Laurie--

Like others, I think you are doing the right thing. Those of us who have spoken out against surgery generally do so when the person in question only has PF, and hasn't tried everything else available, especially ESWT. You have such a combination of problems that I suspect ESWT could merely serve to aggravate them, if it did anything at all. So... you grit those teeth and be brave, and we will all keep our fingers crossed that you will get some relief from this surgery. You have a large 'family' out here, and we are all on your side.

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/14/01 at 17:07 (066988)

Hi,

I wish you all the best with your surgery and will alway be here or there to help you thru this . I agree that you can't live like this anymore

Tammie on 12/14/01 at 18:56 (066993)

Laurie, You know u have my support always! I know that u have struggled for some time with thease sorts of problems and I hope finally that maybe they can help u at least with some or a portion to give u some relief! I will always keep u in my prayers and my thoughts are with u and u know i am here for u as long as u need me!
P.S> Brian is right , I would recomend listening to your dr. with every ounce of patience u can muster and then some!!!!!! Do whatever he askes even if u cant stand to sit or prop your foot up any longer! I think if I had to do it again I would say sedate me as I am bad and I do not listen I push to the limit and then suffer for my uncontrolable urge to prove I am all better and life can move on like it used to be! So please dear friend take it little by little and do as u are asked to ! Dont be a fool like me , if u are going to do it do it the right way! Right Brian? Is this ok did I tell it right? LOL Hindsite is sometimes to late my friend so be good and do the right thing! (((((HUGS))))) to u !

BrianG on 12/14/01 at 21:04 (066997)

Well Tammie, calling yourself a fool might be a bit strong, maybe hard headed is a better word for it :*)
I am the fool for not going out of work 2 years ago when I had benefits. No, I had to continue on, with great pain, working until I had a job with no disabiity provisions. Now that is being a fool !!!!

BCG

Steve P on 12/14/01 at 21:52 (067001)

Laurie -- I always have the sense that you are a very thoughtful & mature person. I also have a very good feeling about your decision. You've taken a thorough & careful approach throughout. You've always done your homework. I share the feelings of all above, that this is the right thing.

Please keep us posted, friend.

Steve

Suzanne D on 12/14/01 at 22:23 (067006)

Laurie, I am with you all the way and will be keeping you in my prayers! You have had such a long road of pain and frustration; I sincerely hope that this surgery will bring very good results! Sometimes it seems to me that is the only answer, and your case would definitely qualify. Just having a plan I'm sure makes you feel better than waking up each day wondering if you will feel any better.

Take care, and God bless you! :-)

Laurie R on 12/15/01 at 00:36 (067015)

Oh my Goodness , Thank you all so much ... All I can say is WOW!!!!! YOu guys are all so very wonderful to me ... Like I have always said I will never give up , I have always been a fighter and I am not going to stop now ... I kept thinking in my mind that their was no way I could ever go through another surgery . I have had 7 on my stomach for endometriosis . But this is not my stomach and my way of thinking has changed a lot in these last few months ... I can not deal with the pain I have been in for much longer .. It is terrible and it is always there ...

I feel really good about the surgery . It will be a long road , but a healing road . So instead of me not healing like now , I feel I have a very good chance to get some relief . We knew it will not take all my pain away , but I will be happy with 50% ....I will still have the RSD to deal with . But I will go two times a week for the spinal injections to try to keep the RSD under some type of control ... I feel I have two wonderful doctors that are doing everything they know how to help me .

Thank you again everyone for all your support. I need you all now more then ever . I mean this from the bottom of my heart...

Much love to all , Laurie R

Beverly on 12/15/01 at 10:02 (067032)

Laurie,

I wish you the best best of luck with this surgery. You are brave to go into the unknown. I agree with you, I'd be happy if there were something out there to improve me by 50%. Fifty percent is a lot to a person in pain.
I'm hoping you get much more than 50%.
Keep us posted.
Lots of hugs,
Beverly

Re: Amazing strength

Carmen H on 12/15/01 at 11:41 (067041)

You have such amazing strength Laurie. As you know you are in my prayers.
Much love to you
Carmen

wendyn on 12/15/01 at 11:46 (067043)

I haven't been to the board much - so I missed your initial post.

Laurie, I am happy that they think they can get in there and start to fix things up.

As always, we will all be here for you every step of the way.

Any idea when it will happen?

Anthony P on 12/16/01 at 21:59 (067166)

Hi Laurie , I too just saw your post today. As always good luck to you and
I support you all the way that surgery will get you better.
My Prayers To You Your Friend Anthony P