Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bought a shower stool today

Posted by Carole C on 12/14/01 at 12:21 (066954)

Today I went to look for a shower stool. This ought to help boost my morale! I like to feel clean.

The medical supply places in my neighborhood were out of business and gone, or looked too specialized and small, and a few I just could not find. So, I finally drove into Cadillac country and bought one at a medical supply place there.

They had exactly what I wanted. It's *extremely* sturdy (which is important for those of us who are less than svelte!), and it has metal legs with the medical nonslip type bottoms. Even though it's so sturdy, it probably doesn't weigh more than half a pound! The leg height is adjustable, and I had my choice in colors so I got bright blue.

It cost $50, which is more than I had planned on spending, but it seems like everything else for PF is over $100 anyway. When (not if!) I get over my PF, I can still use the stool. It is sturdy enough that I could stand on it and use it as a low stool around the house.

Carole C (going to take a LOOOOOOONG shower this afternoon!!!)

Re: Bought a shower stool today

Steve P on 12/14/01 at 21:54 (067002)

Carole -- Good for you. You'll be so glad you took this step. I wouldn't be without one!

rebecca h on 12/14/01 at 23:07 (067010)

Sounds like a good idea Carole. I'd like to get one too. Baths are okay but I do miss showers! I started using a bar stool next to the kitchen sink and the stove. That way I can still cook 'real' meals. We actually had a pretty good Italian dinner today! Every day I'm learning a little better how to rest my feet. I wish I could say I'm seeing some actual progress but so far they are only mildly better some days. Those are the days I tend to overdo it, they the next day my feet hurt hurt hurt and I am sad sad sad. Right now when I wear my orthotics my heels feel a little better but my forefeet still hurt bad. Then on rare occasions when I wear my Birkenstocks for a little while my forefeet feel better but my heels hurt!!! Ya just can't win!!! : ) (I'm not wearing the Birkenstocks much at all anymore because of trying to find out how the orthotics are really affecting my feet) Oh, and another thing. The orthotic on the left foot seems to be tilting my foot the right amount since it tends to tilt inward but my right foot is being forced to tilt outward to far and its making my ankle sore. I see the podiatrist in one week so I will talk to him about all this. He said he wanted me to wait a full three weeks since getting the orthotics to see how they really are doing. After two weeks I have some very definite opinions-they hurt! Okay , well, thanks for listening! Hope your day off work was restful and happy!

rebecca

Re: Mozart and PF

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 00:04 (067014)

By the way, Carole did you read the You know you have PF when... yet?
I have one to add to it. You know you have PF when you are listening to Mozart's Requiem Mass and you think to yourself 'Wow, he must have been SUFFERING WITH SERIOUS PF when he wrote that!'

Re: Rebecca, orthotics, stairs, and so on

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 09:01 (067027)

Wow!!! You are having a rough time with those orthotics, Rebecca. But then, you've been wearing them longer than I have, so maybe I will start having trouble with mine after a while too.

Are you doing your gentle stretching regularly? One thing I have found about my Birkenstocks, is that they have a very low heel and so they pull on my Achilles tendon and/or other tendons in the back of my heel. So maybe the gentle stretching would help a little in that regard, since you aren't wearing them. Where do your forefeet hurt? Under the arch kind of?

I think it's crummy that your right foot tilts outwards too much and hurts your ankle. He ought to adjust that when you go back, if it still hurts at that time. I thought my left shoe was doing that when she first made the orthotic, because my left heel was slipping leftwards inside the shoe. However she fixed it she swore it was correct. It didn't seem to help at the time, but hasn't bothered me since that day. I think maybe I tied my shoe tighter than she did, and that helped.

I think that is so great that you have a bar stool to use while cooking! It must be a tremendous morale boost to actually eat real, good food. I don't cook a lot, but what little I do is so important to my morale. I'll bet you can use a bar stool to brush your teeth and so on, too. I plan to get one or two bar stools on another outing, later on.

For me, just getting out of the bathtub would strain my feet too much, I think.

It sounds to me that you are on the 'roller coaster of PF', where you feel better some days and then overdo it on those days. I'm trying to rest my feet even on those days. It's hard to do that, though! There are so many things that just HAVE to be done, to live life. Like you, I can only do the best that I can to rest my feet. My pedorthist said that after my orthotics are broken in, I can do more as far as running errands and that type of thing, and judge for myself how much I can take.

My orthotics don't hurt, but if I do too much then my heels hurt (so I rest then). Maybe your podiatrist just doesn't understand how much a mother with so many young kids is used to doing!!!! I don't think I could do as much as you are doing, right now. Maybe after a few weeks. I've had them only five days now.

The other thing that helps me (physically, and makes it harder mentally) is that I had some very serious mobility problems due to my osteoarthritis, before my doctor put me on Celebrex. During that time before Celebrex, I was in a vicious circle where I could hardly move, so I gained weight, and that made it even harder to move. The improvement with Celebrex gave me hope, so I lost almost 80 pounds which helped too. I have only had the ability to go to WalMart, for example, during the past year and couldn't for the three years before because of my mobility problems. So, losing that degree of mobility when it was so precious to me is heartbreaking. But I have an easier time than most people physically because I had already done a lot of things to help myself. I have a handicap parking tag. I know what stores have the motorized wheelchair thingies, and I'm used to not doing my grocery shopping when the store is crowded, even if that would be the most convenient time for me.
I live on the first floor in an apartment that doesn't even have a front step, much less stairs. And my apartment is very well laid out, so that I don't need to walk far to do things. This was not because I like first floor apartments (especially in New Orleans where flooding is constantly on our minds, and where this type of apartment is rare) but because I had no choice. It's not easy to arrange life this way, and I know it usually takes years, but I had my mobility problems for years already. Hopefully all of us here will be mobile again before we need to take such drastic measures.

My day off work was what I needed, but I feel guilty for taking sick leave. I wasn't really sick, so much as sick of life and work in general. Well, maybe I was almost sick, because I feel a slight sore throat, too.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 09:04 (067028)

LOL!!!!!!!

Rebecca, I absolutely love Mozart (second only to Beethoven whose Pastorale Symphony is my all time favorite music and my secret weapon against depression!). And you could be right!

Carole

Re: How to use a shower stool correctly

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 10:15 (067033)

My pedorthist told me to use a shower stool in my shower/tub like this.

Start out standing naked in the bathroom in my Birks. Make sure the shower stool is placed correctly in your shower/tub and ready for use. Turn the water on. (I already had one of those shower massager thingies on the long cord, which she recommends, and I just let it hang from the cord while I get in).

With your Birks still on, and standing outside the shower/tub, carefully sit on the stool which is in the shower/tub. Then lift your feet and slip off the Birks, and carefully swivel on the seat until your feet are in the shower/tub. It's best to do this slowly and hold on to something that won't break off.

There! Now you are safely seated on your shower stool and didn't take even one step without your shoes.

She said this was very important for me, and I believe it! I think just one or two steps barefoot could negate many of the benefits from the shower stool.

I took another leisurely shower and washed my hair just now. My shower stool is as steady as a rock and twice as sturdy. I got nice and clean over just about my entire body, except a small part of I am sitting on. I feel great!

I might become a 'shower addict' at this rate! LOL

Carole C

Sherrie M. on 12/15/01 at 21:00 (067085)

Carole, this sounds like you have it down pat! You should see me getting in and out of the tub, it's hilarious.I like to take nice hot baths and try to loosen up my feet so I have my shower shoes that have an arch support in them,I sit on the side of the tub put my feet down and try to get in as soon as possible without hurting something else, then getting out is a real treat- I won't go there.Thanks for making me have a little chuckle, at my own expense! Sherrie

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 21:13 (067087)

LOL! Well at least you can DO it. One reason I hadn't tried a bath is I couldn't ever figure out how I could get out of a tub if I ever sat down in one. I mean really, the arthritis in my knees is better but still terribly bad, and then the PF in my feet... and despite losing weight I am still pretty heavy so I couldn't imagine flopping around in a slippery tub trying to stand up. I figure that I'd have to LEVITATE to get out of there! There's nothing I can put any strain on.

If I hadn't gotten stern instructions about how to use my shower stool, I never would have thought about it. I would have slipped out of my shoes, stepped into the tub barefoot, and then sat down. But if I had done that, I am convinced it would have injured my PF somewhat. So, I figured I'd pass on the technique to anybody who might not know.

You know, if you ever decided to get a shower stool, you can still close the drain and soak your feet in nice hot water while you sit on it. LOL I know, I probably sound like I sell them but I really don't! I'm just all delighted with my new purchase. :)

Carole C

Steve P on 12/14/01 at 21:54 (067002)

Carole -- Good for you. You'll be so glad you took this step. I wouldn't be without one!

rebecca h on 12/14/01 at 23:07 (067010)

Sounds like a good idea Carole. I'd like to get one too. Baths are okay but I do miss showers! I started using a bar stool next to the kitchen sink and the stove. That way I can still cook 'real' meals. We actually had a pretty good Italian dinner today! Every day I'm learning a little better how to rest my feet. I wish I could say I'm seeing some actual progress but so far they are only mildly better some days. Those are the days I tend to overdo it, they the next day my feet hurt hurt hurt and I am sad sad sad. Right now when I wear my orthotics my heels feel a little better but my forefeet still hurt bad. Then on rare occasions when I wear my Birkenstocks for a little while my forefeet feel better but my heels hurt!!! Ya just can't win!!! : ) (I'm not wearing the Birkenstocks much at all anymore because of trying to find out how the orthotics are really affecting my feet) Oh, and another thing. The orthotic on the left foot seems to be tilting my foot the right amount since it tends to tilt inward but my right foot is being forced to tilt outward to far and its making my ankle sore. I see the podiatrist in one week so I will talk to him about all this. He said he wanted me to wait a full three weeks since getting the orthotics to see how they really are doing. After two weeks I have some very definite opinions-they hurt! Okay , well, thanks for listening! Hope your day off work was restful and happy!

rebecca

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 00:04 (067014)

By the way, Carole did you read the You know you have PF when... yet?
I have one to add to it. You know you have PF when you are listening to Mozart's Requiem Mass and you think to yourself 'Wow, he must have been SUFFERING WITH SERIOUS PF when he wrote that!'

Re: Rebecca, orthotics, stairs, and so on

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 09:01 (067027)

Wow!!! You are having a rough time with those orthotics, Rebecca. But then, you've been wearing them longer than I have, so maybe I will start having trouble with mine after a while too.

Are you doing your gentle stretching regularly? One thing I have found about my Birkenstocks, is that they have a very low heel and so they pull on my Achilles tendon and/or other tendons in the back of my heel. So maybe the gentle stretching would help a little in that regard, since you aren't wearing them. Where do your forefeet hurt? Under the arch kind of?

I think it's crummy that your right foot tilts outwards too much and hurts your ankle. He ought to adjust that when you go back, if it still hurts at that time. I thought my left shoe was doing that when she first made the orthotic, because my left heel was slipping leftwards inside the shoe. However she fixed it she swore it was correct. It didn't seem to help at the time, but hasn't bothered me since that day. I think maybe I tied my shoe tighter than she did, and that helped.

I think that is so great that you have a bar stool to use while cooking! It must be a tremendous morale boost to actually eat real, good food. I don't cook a lot, but what little I do is so important to my morale. I'll bet you can use a bar stool to brush your teeth and so on, too. I plan to get one or two bar stools on another outing, later on.

For me, just getting out of the bathtub would strain my feet too much, I think.

It sounds to me that you are on the 'roller coaster of PF', where you feel better some days and then overdo it on those days. I'm trying to rest my feet even on those days. It's hard to do that, though! There are so many things that just HAVE to be done, to live life. Like you, I can only do the best that I can to rest my feet. My pedorthist said that after my orthotics are broken in, I can do more as far as running errands and that type of thing, and judge for myself how much I can take.

My orthotics don't hurt, but if I do too much then my heels hurt (so I rest then). Maybe your podiatrist just doesn't understand how much a mother with so many young kids is used to doing!!!! I don't think I could do as much as you are doing, right now. Maybe after a few weeks. I've had them only five days now.

The other thing that helps me (physically, and makes it harder mentally) is that I had some very serious mobility problems due to my osteoarthritis, before my doctor put me on Celebrex. During that time before Celebrex, I was in a vicious circle where I could hardly move, so I gained weight, and that made it even harder to move. The improvement with Celebrex gave me hope, so I lost almost 80 pounds which helped too. I have only had the ability to go to WalMart, for example, during the past year and couldn't for the three years before because of my mobility problems. So, losing that degree of mobility when it was so precious to me is heartbreaking. But I have an easier time than most people physically because I had already done a lot of things to help myself. I have a handicap parking tag. I know what stores have the motorized wheelchair thingies, and I'm used to not doing my grocery shopping when the store is crowded, even if that would be the most convenient time for me.
I live on the first floor in an apartment that doesn't even have a front step, much less stairs. And my apartment is very well laid out, so that I don't need to walk far to do things. This was not because I like first floor apartments (especially in New Orleans where flooding is constantly on our minds, and where this type of apartment is rare) but because I had no choice. It's not easy to arrange life this way, and I know it usually takes years, but I had my mobility problems for years already. Hopefully all of us here will be mobile again before we need to take such drastic measures.

My day off work was what I needed, but I feel guilty for taking sick leave. I wasn't really sick, so much as sick of life and work in general. Well, maybe I was almost sick, because I feel a slight sore throat, too.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 09:04 (067028)

LOL!!!!!!!

Rebecca, I absolutely love Mozart (second only to Beethoven whose Pastorale Symphony is my all time favorite music and my secret weapon against depression!). And you could be right!

Carole

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 10:15 (067033)

My pedorthist told me to use a shower stool in my shower/tub like this.

Start out standing naked in the bathroom in my Birks. Make sure the shower stool is placed correctly in your shower/tub and ready for use. Turn the water on. (I already had one of those shower massager thingies on the long cord, which she recommends, and I just let it hang from the cord while I get in).

With your Birks still on, and standing outside the shower/tub, carefully sit on the stool which is in the shower/tub. Then lift your feet and slip off the Birks, and carefully swivel on the seat until your feet are in the shower/tub. It's best to do this slowly and hold on to something that won't break off.

There! Now you are safely seated on your shower stool and didn't take even one step without your shoes.

She said this was very important for me, and I believe it! I think just one or two steps barefoot could negate many of the benefits from the shower stool.

I took another leisurely shower and washed my hair just now. My shower stool is as steady as a rock and twice as sturdy. I got nice and clean over just about my entire body, except a small part of I am sitting on. I feel great!

I might become a 'shower addict' at this rate! LOL

Carole C

Sherrie M. on 12/15/01 at 21:00 (067085)

Carole, this sounds like you have it down pat! You should see me getting in and out of the tub, it's hilarious.I like to take nice hot baths and try to loosen up my feet so I have my shower shoes that have an arch support in them,I sit on the side of the tub put my feet down and try to get in as soon as possible without hurting something else, then getting out is a real treat- I won't go there.Thanks for making me have a little chuckle, at my own expense! Sherrie

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 21:13 (067087)

LOL! Well at least you can DO it. One reason I hadn't tried a bath is I couldn't ever figure out how I could get out of a tub if I ever sat down in one. I mean really, the arthritis in my knees is better but still terribly bad, and then the PF in my feet... and despite losing weight I am still pretty heavy so I couldn't imagine flopping around in a slippery tub trying to stand up. I figure that I'd have to LEVITATE to get out of there! There's nothing I can put any strain on.

If I hadn't gotten stern instructions about how to use my shower stool, I never would have thought about it. I would have slipped out of my shoes, stepped into the tub barefoot, and then sat down. But if I had done that, I am convinced it would have injured my PF somewhat. So, I figured I'd pass on the technique to anybody who might not know.

You know, if you ever decided to get a shower stool, you can still close the drain and soak your feet in nice hot water while you sit on it. LOL I know, I probably sound like I sell them but I really don't! I'm just all delighted with my new purchase. :)

Carole C