Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Insurnce to pay for ossotron

Posted by John Melton on 12/14/01 at 13:37 (066960)

I live in Albq NM and am covered under a group run by Principal. I am the first to be approved by the company Surgery in 2 weeks. Will keep you posted

Re: Insurnce to pay for ossotron

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/16/01 at 00:03 (067097)

We are finding more insurance companies paying now. Sometimes it takes a lot of work from the patient getting involved and demanding they pay it.

Re: How long does it take

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/16/01 at 14:39 (067131)

Hi,

From your practice experience what is the average time for the patient's insurance to either pay or at least give approval for ESWT ossatron. We have found it to be very long sometimes up to 12 weeks in our area of the country

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/17/01 at 22:53 (067288)

Hi, we're finding it does take that long. Some cases have taken several months, but when the patient gets involved by contacting the insurance comissioner, their congressman, the insurance medical director, etc. it really makes a difference. We're also getting some insurance to come around, ie BCBS has approved a few, United Health Care, etc.

joel wilner dpm on 12/18/01 at 22:23 (067373)

as i have been doing orthotripsy here in NM for a year now and working with most major ins companies we have made inroads with insureds like principal about 3 months ago and are paying for treatment as are most other insurance companies here in NM good luck with your tx. it works very well if performed properly

Karen K on 12/19/01 at 07:41 (067388)

I have been rejected by my insurance and in the process of appeal where they want me to write a letter on why I should have special consideration and why I feel it should be covered. If anyone has any hints for me as to what to include in my letter of appeal I would greatly appreciate it.

KK

BrianG on 12/19/01 at 12:16 (067406)

Hi Karen,

I would tell the insurance company everything you have already tried to relieve your pain. Then ask them why they wouldn't want to give you a chance at being a productive member of society, instead of repeated visits to the doctor, for how long, probably a number of years? I'd also tell them how the PF has effected your life. Tell them the things you can no longer do, tell them about your pain. If your up 1/2 the nght in pain, tell them. Let them know all about you, and how the PF has effected your entire life, and that of your family also. Tell them that other insurance companies are paing for ESWT. I'm sure you can think of more. Good luck

BCG

Dr. Reid on 12/19/01 at 18:10 (067424)

Because the sucess rate is much higher then surgery and the complication rate is very, very low. Also because it does not require any additional treatments - physical therapy, x-rays, casts, etc. It lets you get back to work immediately. Good luck.

Wolfgang N. on 12/30/01 at 04:05 (068117)

Posted by Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/17/01 at 22:53
Hi, we're finding it does take that long. Some cases have taken several months, but when the patient gets involved by contacting the insurance comissioner, their congressman, the insurance medical director, etc. it really makes a difference. We're also getting some insurance to come around, ie BCBS has approved a few, United Health Care, etc.

Dr. Reid, can you please give me the names of the BCBS organizations that have approved payment of the ESWT therapy. I have been turned down by the Federal Health Insurance Plan (BCBS) Washington D.C. Your information would greatly help me in my appeal. Thanks for your help.

Re: ossotron (Follow-up) question for John

Ed C. on 1/02/02 at 08:24 (068424)

I see you were scheduled for Ossotron treatment around this time. Have you had it yet and can you provide some feedback on both the procedure and any early results? I am considering treatment for long standing PF.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/16/01 at 00:03 (067097)

We are finding more insurance companies paying now. Sometimes it takes a lot of work from the patient getting involved and demanding they pay it.

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/16/01 at 14:39 (067131)

Hi,

From your practice experience what is the average time for the patient's insurance to either pay or at least give approval for ESWT ossatron. We have found it to be very long sometimes up to 12 weeks in our area of the country

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/17/01 at 22:53 (067288)

joel wilner dpm on 12/18/01 at 22:23 (067373)

as i have been doing orthotripsy here in NM for a year now and working with most major ins companies we have made inroads with insureds like principal about 3 months ago and are paying for treatment as are most other insurance companies here in NM good luck with your tx. it works very well if performed properly

Karen K on 12/19/01 at 07:41 (067388)

I have been rejected by my insurance and in the process of appeal where they want me to write a letter on why I should have special consideration and why I feel it should be covered. If anyone has any hints for me as to what to include in my letter of appeal I would greatly appreciate it.

KK

BrianG on 12/19/01 at 12:16 (067406)

Hi Karen,

I would tell the insurance company everything you have already tried to relieve your pain. Then ask them why they wouldn't want to give you a chance at being a productive member of society, instead of repeated visits to the doctor, for how long, probably a number of years? I'd also tell them how the PF has effected your life. Tell them the things you can no longer do, tell them about your pain. If your up 1/2 the nght in pain, tell them. Let them know all about you, and how the PF has effected your entire life, and that of your family also. Tell them that other insurance companies are paing for ESWT. I'm sure you can think of more. Good luck

BCG

Dr. Reid on 12/19/01 at 18:10 (067424)

Because the sucess rate is much higher then surgery and the complication rate is very, very low. Also because it does not require any additional treatments - physical therapy, x-rays, casts, etc. It lets you get back to work immediately. Good luck.

Wolfgang N. on 12/30/01 at 04:05 (068117)

Posted by Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/17/01 at 22:53

Dr. Reid, can you please give me the names of the BCBS organizations that have approved payment of the ESWT therapy. I have been turned down by the Federal Health Insurance Plan (BCBS) Washington D.C. Your information would greatly help me in my appeal. Thanks for your help.

Re: ossotron (Follow-up) question for John

Ed C. on 1/02/02 at 08:24 (068424)

I see you were scheduled for Ossotron treatment around this time. Have you had it yet and can you provide some feedback on both the procedure and any early results? I am considering treatment for long standing PF.