Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Athletic shoes

Posted by Raine S. on 12/14/01 at 23:25 (067012)

I need some information and this looks like a good place to find it.

I need to know the main foot problems that are caused or irritated by badly fitting shoes. If someone would be kind enough to give me a detailed list of the main ones only and a little history/information about each one.

I would also like to have some guidelines on fitting athletic shoes. Do the guidlines differ between sports?

One final thing, I would be so greatful if someone could tell me if the atheletic brand names (Adidas, Nike, Filas, etc) if their shoes actually have benefits, or if their claims are simply for sales purposes. Which, out of all the brand names would have the best overall shoe for athletics?

Thank you so much.

~Charlotte Sully
(email removed) if possible, please reply here. thanks!

Re: Athletic shoes

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/01 at 15:08 (067215)

Road Runner Sports of San Diego publishes the best slection chart for running shoes I have seen. The chart is in each of their printed catalogs. I am not sure it they have it online. http://www.roadrunnersports.com

Different foot types require different needs so there is not one shoe or brand of shoe best for everyone. Generally speaking, Nike and Reebok tend to make very soft, cushioned shoes better for underpronators and people with higher arches. Pronators tend to do better with some of the anti-pronation shoes made by New Balance and Brooks.
Ed

Re: Athletic shoes

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/17/01 at 15:08 (067215)

Road Runner Sports of San Diego publishes the best slection chart for running shoes I have seen. The chart is in each of their printed catalogs. I am not sure it they have it online. http://www.roadrunnersports.com

Different foot types require different needs so there is not one shoe or brand of shoe best for everyone. Generally speaking, Nike and Reebok tend to make very soft, cushioned shoes better for underpronators and people with higher arches. Pronators tend to do better with some of the anti-pronation shoes made by New Balance and Brooks.
Ed