Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question about night splints and insurance

Posted by rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 10:52 (067037)

someone suggested to me that insurance might cover the ice night splints that scott sells. How does this work exactly. Do I go to my podiatrist and say 'I think this might help' and he says 'yes it might' and I say 'would you prescribe them for me?' and he says 'yes' and writes a prescription and then I send it to scott with a check and then I send the receipt to the insurance co? It is Blue Cross. somebody help me out. I am confused how it all works. Thanks!

rebecca h

Re: question about night splints and insurance

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/15/01 at 11:16 (067038)

I would call your insurance company and ask them to tell you what you need to do. My guess off the top of my head is that you will need a HCFA form with the diagnosis, treatment. You will need the CPT code or the code for durable medical device. In conclusion the time and effort isn't worth it for you . Just buy nite splint, but if you want to try you will need codes and a hcfa form not just a recipt

Re: question about night splints and insurance

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/15/01 at 11:16 (067038)

I would call your insurance company and ask them to tell you what you need to do. My guess off the top of my head is that you will need a HCFA form with the diagnosis, treatment. You will need the CPT code or the code for durable medical device. In conclusion the time and effort isn't worth it for you . Just buy nite splint, but if you want to try you will need codes and a hcfa form not just a recipt