Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie

Posted by Carmen H on 12/15/01 at 11:53 (067047)

Julie~

I wanted to tell you that since I have been doing the hamstring stretches, calf stretches etc. my flexibility is sooo much better! My pelvic joints don't hurt anymore, my glutes aren't sore at all anymore (for TWO years I have suffered with that pain), no more piriformus or sciatica....
It's really made a difference. Do you recommend a yoga tape for beginners? I know there is one guy my mom uses all his stuff and he is wonderful...but Ican't remember his name.
Thanks for any suggestions Julie!!
WE are getting a Bowflex in January and I want to add yoga to my routine since we don't belong to the gym anymore.
I am getting weak....time to get back in shape on the floor if I have to!!!
:-)
Carm

Re: Carmen

Julie on 12/15/01 at 16:33 (067069)

Carmen, sorry: I'm not the right person to ask about tapes. If you're interested in practising yoga, the way to do it is to find a good teacher who can instruct you properly and correct you when you need correcting. Then you can practise at home what you learn in the class. Tapes and videos aren't very useful: they can't see you! And you'd always be doing the same routine at the same pace, so it becomes automatic - which yoga never should be. There should be plenty of teachers and classes in Atlanta - why not have a look around?

I am so glad that you're improving and that that rogue piriformis of yours is behaving itself!

What's a Bowflex?

Re: Julie

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 07:23 (067111)

Dear Carmen,
SO GLAD to hear that you are feeling better!!! :-)

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 17:03 (067138)

It's a home gym that practices resistance with 'bow' type weights instead of the 'Plates ' you see on cable machines at the gym. Think of a bow and arrow...if you pull back on the bow with your finger....and 'resist' the springing back of the string you'll feel your nmuscles contract while they are trying to hold the string in place. Does that make sense? It's safer than the weight plates and it folds and stores pretty conveniently and has LOTS of exercises you can do on it. Since I love exercise and I work at home I am pretty strong willed to stick to a program so we're excited!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions on the yoga...My new house is kinda out in the sticks a little but I'll keep my eyes open for a nearby yoga class.

Re: Suzanne

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 17:04 (067139)

Thank you. :-) and how are YOU???? How are those kids? Getting excited about Christmas? How much time do you get out of school? My mother in law is a kindergarten teacher...cute age and cute kids!

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 20:03 (067158)

Dear Carmen,
I am doing pretty well; thanks for asking! Friday my feet hurt more than they have in some time, but then today they seem back to the more improved level of pain which I had been experiencing. So for that I am thankful! I had to do too much Thursday, including standing on a desk...it's a long story, but I unwisely stepped down (too hard) on my worst foot, and I think that did it!

But I made it through my neice's wedding last night and my daughter's ballet recital today wearing my Anapolis Birkenstocks (Mary Jane style). They weren't as dainty looking as I might have liked, but they were alright, and I did fine with the standing and walking required. (Who am I kidding? NO shoes of mine look dainty as I wear an 11!) :-)

Friday was our last day of school until January 2nd. Yes, the children were QUITE excited as I'm sure your mother-in-law's class is! As much as I need the rest and will enjoy the break, I already miss the kids!

Take care, and I hope you are continuing to feel better each day!

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 07:22 (067175)

Suzanne, you know, I'm sure that standing on a desk isn't in your job description! (Just joking! But it hurts to even think what that must have felt like)

I hope your feet feel better by Christmas. I'm sure your Birkenstocks were just fine for the wedding and recital, and now maybe you can put your feet up and rest them!

Carole

Julie on 12/15/01 at 16:33 (067069)

Carmen, sorry: I'm not the right person to ask about tapes. If you're interested in practising yoga, the way to do it is to find a good teacher who can instruct you properly and correct you when you need correcting. Then you can practise at home what you learn in the class. Tapes and videos aren't very useful: they can't see you! And you'd always be doing the same routine at the same pace, so it becomes automatic - which yoga never should be. There should be plenty of teachers and classes in Atlanta - why not have a look around?

I am so glad that you're improving and that that rogue piriformis of yours is behaving itself!

What's a Bowflex?

Re: Julie

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 07:23 (067111)

Dear Carmen,
SO GLAD to hear that you are feeling better!!! :-)

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 17:03 (067138)

It's a home gym that practices resistance with 'bow' type weights instead of the 'Plates ' you see on cable machines at the gym. Think of a bow and arrow...if you pull back on the bow with your finger....and 'resist' the springing back of the string you'll feel your nmuscles contract while they are trying to hold the string in place. Does that make sense? It's safer than the weight plates and it folds and stores pretty conveniently and has LOTS of exercises you can do on it. Since I love exercise and I work at home I am pretty strong willed to stick to a program so we're excited!!!!
Thanks for the suggestions on the yoga...My new house is kinda out in the sticks a little but I'll keep my eyes open for a nearby yoga class.

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 17:04 (067139)

Thank you. :-) and how are YOU???? How are those kids? Getting excited about Christmas? How much time do you get out of school? My mother in law is a kindergarten teacher...cute age and cute kids!

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 20:03 (067158)

Dear Carmen,
I am doing pretty well; thanks for asking! Friday my feet hurt more than they have in some time, but then today they seem back to the more improved level of pain which I had been experiencing. So for that I am thankful! I had to do too much Thursday, including standing on a desk...it's a long story, but I unwisely stepped down (too hard) on my worst foot, and I think that did it!

But I made it through my neice's wedding last night and my daughter's ballet recital today wearing my Anapolis Birkenstocks (Mary Jane style). They weren't as dainty looking as I might have liked, but they were alright, and I did fine with the standing and walking required. (Who am I kidding? NO shoes of mine look dainty as I wear an 11!) :-)

Friday was our last day of school until January 2nd. Yes, the children were QUITE excited as I'm sure your mother-in-law's class is! As much as I need the rest and will enjoy the break, I already miss the kids!

Take care, and I hope you are continuing to feel better each day!

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 07:22 (067175)

Suzanne, you know, I'm sure that standing on a desk isn't in your job description! (Just joking! But it hurts to even think what that must have felt like)

I hope your feet feel better by Christmas. I'm sure your Birkenstocks were just fine for the wedding and recital, and now maybe you can put your feet up and rest them!

Carole