Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Facts

Posted by Carmen H on 12/15/01 at 12:10 (067048)

http://www.apma.org/faqgeneral.html

Re: Foot Facts

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:11 (067049)

Very interesting, Carmen! Thanks.

This source says 'Podiatric physicians provide treatment for 82 percent of corn and callus problems, 65 percent of toenail problems, 63 percent of bunion problems, 46 percent of flat feet or fallen arches problems, and 43 percent of toe/joint deformities.'

Lots of neat statistics on this page.

So many of us here seem to have the heelspurs/PF type problems. I wonder if this type of thing fall in the category of 'flat feet or fallen arches problems'. If it does, then I'm so surprised that a smaller percentage of those with our problems go to a podiatrist than the percent with toenail problems or corn and callus problems. To me, PF is a pretty big deal because of the degree of pain and disability, and length of time before healing.

But then, despite the seriousness with which I regard my PF, I haven't been to a podiatrist yet either. Just my rheumatologist and the pedorthist he recommended (who seems Heaven sent! She is so good). I do not plan to see my rheumatologist for this again but I do plan to see a podiatrist at some point (assuming my PF does not miraculously vanish). I am already looking around for one at a leisurely pace.

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 13:41 (067052)

Hi Carmen!

That was an interesting site. Funny they seemed to blame women's foot problems partly on high heels. I've never worn high heels ! I think its more likely, at least as far as PF goes that gaining weight quickly through pregnancy OR the lower center of gravity thing is to blame.

Those stretches you were talking about in another thread sounded helpful. Where is there a description of how to do them?

Hope you have a Good Foot Day!

rebecca

Re: Any other neat websites, anyone?

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:51 (067053)

I'm a little bored, and I'm trying to stay off of my feet by surfing the net for a while.

Anybody know of any other interesting websites related to feet or shoes? Thanks.

BrianG on 12/15/01 at 14:59 (067060)

Hi Carole,

If your really bored, try the search engine:
http://www.google.com
and type in: 'plantar fasciitis'
You'll get 18,400 hits :*)

Good luck
BCG

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 15:07 (067062)

LOL! well that is sort of what I've been doing (though using the altavista search engine). I just thought that maybe some of the really good sites were pretty far down on that list. But thanks for the thought, Brian!

Carole C

Julie on 12/16/01 at 08:39 (067113)

Rebecca, I think wearing high heels is a major contributory cause of PF: it shortens the achilles tendon and the calf muscles.

Carole - I'm glad you're considering going to a podiatrist. A good one will be able to evaluate your biomechanics and help you put a comprehensive treatment programme in place. Don't delay. Orthotics are important if you have biomechanical faults, but aren't necessarily the whole story.

Re: heels and podiatrist

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 11:27 (067118)

Julie, thanks for the advise which is much appreciated. I have already started checking out the podiatrists in my local area. My orthotics sure feel good, and I'd like to believe that they will be 'the answer' for me, but one thing I'm learning about PF is that it's difficult to cure.

Like Rebecca, I do not wear heels. I even wore flats to my own wedding in 1975. I feel self conscious about being 5'9', which seems very tall sometimes, so I prefer feeling a little shorter.

HOWEVER... my infamous inexpensive sandals by Natural Sport that may have precipitated my difficulty were an exception. They have a wedge that is nearly 2'. I didn't believe it until I measured it just now! Besides having a heel, the shape of the sandals is very foreign to my feet, somehow.

I stopped wearing them after one week and I will not wear them again.

Carole C

Re: Rebecca

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 16:59 (067137)

Which Stretches are you speaking of and I'll try to help.
:-)
Carm

Beverly on 12/16/01 at 17:58 (067143)

A favorite of mine is http://www.footsmart.com.. . I've found several shoes there I found helpful.
Beverly

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 18:10 (067145)

Thanks, Beverly. I'll check it out. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 12:12 (067195)

Would you believe that after 3 days of staying off my feet completely, not even going to the grocery store, today at work we had a fire and I had to walk down 3 flights of stairs? Actually I ran down because there was a pack of about twenty students behind me going pretty fast that would have run over me if I hadn't. I'm lucky that I work on the 3rd floor of a high rise rather than higher up. I think it didn't hurt me too much though (but I'm not sure yet). I feel a new strain in my right foot plantar fascia but my left foot seems to have escaped being reinjured and it is the foot that has been hurting the most until now.

After they put the fire out, they told us we have to go back to work. Oh well! LOL

Otherwise, my feet feel GREAT from the three days rest. I plan to rest them again over Christmas.

Carole

Carmen on 12/17/01 at 16:13 (067224)

Glad to hear you are feeling better!! Tomorrow and the next day should tell the tale on your trip down the stairs...it will take a day or two to set in if anything was done. You might ICE tonight to make sure you cover all bases.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:33 (067258)

Oh THANK YOU for reminding me! I forgot to ice it down. Will do! Great idea.

Carole

Re: Carman

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 23:39 (067297)

The hamstring and calf stretches. Especially calf. Mine seem like they could use it. I've been reading about how the calf muscles affect the plantar fascia tightness and thought maybe thats part of my solution.
But apparantly the wall stretches my first doctor told me to do aren't helping and might be making things worse!!!
Thanks for any help! : )
rebecca

Re: icing

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:21 (067506)

I have recently been trying the icing method someone mentioned here. I take two trays of ice and dump them into a bucket with cold water and soak my feet. It is so c-c-c-ooooold but ! my feet do feel great afterwards.

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:11 (067049)

Very interesting, Carmen! Thanks.

This source says 'Podiatric physicians provide treatment for 82 percent of corn and callus problems, 65 percent of toenail problems, 63 percent of bunion problems, 46 percent of flat feet or fallen arches problems, and 43 percent of toe/joint deformities.'

Lots of neat statistics on this page.

So many of us here seem to have the heelspurs/PF type problems. I wonder if this type of thing fall in the category of 'flat feet or fallen arches problems'. If it does, then I'm so surprised that a smaller percentage of those with our problems go to a podiatrist than the percent with toenail problems or corn and callus problems. To me, PF is a pretty big deal because of the degree of pain and disability, and length of time before healing.

But then, despite the seriousness with which I regard my PF, I haven't been to a podiatrist yet either. Just my rheumatologist and the pedorthist he recommended (who seems Heaven sent! She is so good). I do not plan to see my rheumatologist for this again but I do plan to see a podiatrist at some point (assuming my PF does not miraculously vanish). I am already looking around for one at a leisurely pace.

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/15/01 at 13:41 (067052)

Hi Carmen!

That was an interesting site. Funny they seemed to blame women's foot problems partly on high heels. I've never worn high heels ! I think its more likely, at least as far as PF goes that gaining weight quickly through pregnancy OR the lower center of gravity thing is to blame.

Those stretches you were talking about in another thread sounded helpful. Where is there a description of how to do them?

Hope you have a Good Foot Day!

rebecca

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 13:51 (067053)

I'm a little bored, and I'm trying to stay off of my feet by surfing the net for a while.

Anybody know of any other interesting websites related to feet or shoes? Thanks.

BrianG on 12/15/01 at 14:59 (067060)

Hi Carole,

If your really bored, try the search engine:
http://www.google.com
and type in: 'plantar fasciitis'
You'll get 18,400 hits :*)

Good luck
BCG

Carole C on 12/15/01 at 15:07 (067062)

LOL! well that is sort of what I've been doing (though using the altavista search engine). I just thought that maybe some of the really good sites were pretty far down on that list. But thanks for the thought, Brian!

Carole C

Julie on 12/16/01 at 08:39 (067113)

Rebecca, I think wearing high heels is a major contributory cause of PF: it shortens the achilles tendon and the calf muscles.

Carole - I'm glad you're considering going to a podiatrist. A good one will be able to evaluate your biomechanics and help you put a comprehensive treatment programme in place. Don't delay. Orthotics are important if you have biomechanical faults, but aren't necessarily the whole story.

Re: heels and podiatrist

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 11:27 (067118)

Julie, thanks for the advise which is much appreciated. I have already started checking out the podiatrists in my local area. My orthotics sure feel good, and I'd like to believe that they will be 'the answer' for me, but one thing I'm learning about PF is that it's difficult to cure.

Like Rebecca, I do not wear heels. I even wore flats to my own wedding in 1975. I feel self conscious about being 5'9', which seems very tall sometimes, so I prefer feeling a little shorter.

HOWEVER... my infamous inexpensive sandals by Natural Sport that may have precipitated my difficulty were an exception. They have a wedge that is nearly 2'. I didn't believe it until I measured it just now! Besides having a heel, the shape of the sandals is very foreign to my feet, somehow.

I stopped wearing them after one week and I will not wear them again.

Carole C

Re: Rebecca

Carmen H on 12/16/01 at 16:59 (067137)

Which Stretches are you speaking of and I'll try to help.
Carm

Beverly on 12/16/01 at 17:58 (067143)

A favorite of mine is http://www.footsmart.com.. . I've found several shoes there I found helpful.
Beverly

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 18:10 (067145)

Thanks, Beverly. I'll check it out. :)

Carole

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 12:12 (067195)

Would you believe that after 3 days of staying off my feet completely, not even going to the grocery store, today at work we had a fire and I had to walk down 3 flights of stairs? Actually I ran down because there was a pack of about twenty students behind me going pretty fast that would have run over me if I hadn't. I'm lucky that I work on the 3rd floor of a high rise rather than higher up. I think it didn't hurt me too much though (but I'm not sure yet). I feel a new strain in my right foot plantar fascia but my left foot seems to have escaped being reinjured and it is the foot that has been hurting the most until now.

After they put the fire out, they told us we have to go back to work. Oh well! LOL

Otherwise, my feet feel GREAT from the three days rest. I plan to rest them again over Christmas.

Carole

Carmen on 12/17/01 at 16:13 (067224)

Glad to hear you are feeling better!! Tomorrow and the next day should tell the tale on your trip down the stairs...it will take a day or two to set in if anything was done. You might ICE tonight to make sure you cover all bases.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:33 (067258)

Oh THANK YOU for reminding me! I forgot to ice it down. Will do! Great idea.

Carole

Re: Carman

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 23:39 (067297)

The hamstring and calf stretches. Especially calf. Mine seem like they could use it. I've been reading about how the calf muscles affect the plantar fascia tightness and thought maybe thats part of my solution.
But apparantly the wall stretches my first doctor told me to do aren't helping and might be making things worse!!!
Thanks for any help! : )
rebecca

Re: icing

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:21 (067506)

I have recently been trying the icing method someone mentioned here. I take two trays of ice and dump them into a bucket with cold water and soak my feet. It is so c-c-c-ooooold but ! my feet do feel great afterwards.