Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suzanne D (and all other friends here!)! Got my mail?!

Posted by clara on 12/16/01 at 11:48 (067122)

Hi Suzanne - how are you?? Have you checked the mailbox yet? I just wanted to know if you got it, I sent it to a couple a days ago. Plz let me know, either I will share all details about me and Sweden on this board.....! (heheh) ;-)
I don´t know if all folks here may not be up to that?!
It´s a looooooong (boring? you know about our 'smorgasboard', 'meatballs' and stuff like that, and how we people in Sweden are, and uuuughh what an awful, (maybe funny?) english .....
But try to tell me something in another language than you have, then I maybe can laugh for a while, and forget those feet... !
Hugs!
//Clara
from Sweden

Re: Suzanne D (and all other friends here!)! Got my mail?!

Julie on 12/16/01 at 12:30 (067124)

Clara, if you still have your email about Christmas, do copy it into a response box here - I'm sure people would love to hear about Christmas in Sweden. I would!

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 19:24 (067151)

Dear Clara,
No, I am so sorry; I have not received your e-mail. I don't know what went wrong. We DID have problems a few days ago with the e-mail, but then it was fixed, so I don't know if perhaps it got 'lost' during that time! I would love to read about it here on the board! I am just sorry that you spent the time writing it, and we did not receive it. I thank you again for taking the time to do so.

My children at school learned some about Christmas in Sweden and made a headband with paper candles to wear as they learned the basics of Santa Lucia Day. We ate sweet rolls that day although I know they were not the special kind you have. I found the sheet music for a song which begins 'Wake up, Lucia comes today. O be glad!...' I played it for them and sang the words.

But it is not too late! Even though Friday was our last day of school until January 2, I will still read anything you write about your Christmas to share with the children when we return to school. I will give them some time to tell about their Christmas, and we could share it at that time!

And, believe me, you would not be able to understand ANYTHING if I tried to write in another language! I think you do very well, so don't ever apologize for your English!! You could really have a laugh and get your mind off your feet if you heard my southern/country accent! :-) (For anyone reading this who ever saw the show on the Disney Channel called The Torkelson's, I sound just like the mom on that show! (And both my daughters have double names like her children did on that show!)

Have a good Christmas, Clara!

Re: Suzanne D (and all other friends here!)! Here it is!Merry Christmas!

clara on 12/17/01 at 03:19 (067171)

Hi! I just do like this, I paste the text here and do not laught too much!!! Heheh! No, Suzanne, I am not feel ashamed, I know it´s not easy to learn another language, but here in Sweden we learn to talk english from 9 years age and up, so I think I really should do better... and in my job I have to read and talk lots of english too. And Suzanne again, it doesn´t matter at all, it was fun writing this!!! Im so sorry that you didn´t get it. Maybe I wrote the wrong e-mailadress. I hope you´ll understand SOMETHING - it´s rather difficult to explain Swedish people.. it´s kind of complex. But here´s a try! (funny with the story about Santa Lucia- you told us about Suzanne, On dec. 13 I saw at least 4 Lucia-processions.... Lovely! When I was a little girl I was Lucia a couple of times. My boys uses to be 'little santas', or 'Staffan Stalledräng' = the boys have a 'cone' on their heads, white nightgown, and a golden star on a stick. I use to cry a little and am very, very proud, like mothers are!

This will be a loooooong letter, and Scott, the square is to little, so I put the text in a new post underneeth. Maybe I will need to do two or three posts this time!

And I wrote not ONLY about Christmas, it is more about how we are 'in common' here in Sweden, and something about the country.
Have a nice (!?) read and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!!

//Clara

Re: Mail to you all about Sweden! Merry Christmas!

clara on 12/17/01 at 03:34 (067172)

Hej! (that´s hi there! in Swedish)

My name i Clara and I live in Sweden. I am 36 years old and I am living in Orebro, the first letter you don´t have, its an O whith two dots on it. It pronounced Oerebro. I am married and have 2 boys, Emanuel, he is 9 years old and Joseph, 2½ years. I have always been living in Sweden, and have only been abroad a couple of times, in France and England. Never in the U.S.A. My husband, however, have been touring 'round the world' when he was younger. I work as a librarian at our public library in Orebro. I love my work! It took me for about 5 years at the university in Orebro and Boras to get my degree. Well, about Sweden and the swedish people. I think we are a very friendly people in common. Maybe a little naive, I think, we have not have any wars since the 15:th century. We don´t love our country like you do (well I do!) I mean like this, we are not at all 'patriotic', is that spelled rigth?? You see, here in Sweden we have a crazy unspoken 'law', It is common known here, but we hardly never talk about it, we call it the 'Luther Law'. It like that: 'You should NOT think that you ARE somebody, or BETTER than anybody'. It´s rather strange, but everybody knows about it. (Not foreighers perhaps!) And it´s no good, either. I can´t explain it, it´s a feeling. Maybe we are a little cold on the inside (towards our selves, if you understand what I mean.) It is cold here, too! In the winters, brrrrrrrrrr! But in the summers, it can be rather hot, and its very pretty, in the North you can see the sun during the day AND night in june-july !!! So, probably you know that Sweden is large at the area. However, we aren´t that many here, 'only' 9 million people. Sweden is mostly trees, trees and more trees....... But we have many immigrants here in Sweden, that´s good to our culture. Maybe we need more warmness, and temperamentness(right?) too, if you understand what I mean. Many of us are a little booooring, I think. We need other 'better' cultures, 'inner-laws' like 'Love yourself' and so on! I think I´m lucky. We study a lot english in scool, for about 7 years (believe it or not!!!) I don´t talk that much english, so I haven´t got any practice in real life, but little every day on my job, AND on the 'board' I have learned a lot lately. And got many friends! Soon it´ll be Christmas and I´m sure you know that we eat smorgasboard here, it´s from Sweden, and one of the dishes is meatballs. We give eachother Christmaspresents not on Christmas Day, but on dec.24! Gosh its lots to tell you but now I will stop, either I will go on and on and on.... It was fun telling you about Sweden. If you want, plz tell me something about your country and what you do, and so on. It would be fun! If you want to know more about Sweden, you can go in on the following site and get more statistics and so on about Sweden http://www.sweden.com or http://www.sweden.se and mail me if you want to know something more about Sweden. I hope you have got something (to laugh about, too, perhaps!!!) ....! Take care! And:

GOD JUL OCH GOTT NYTT AR!!!! (that´s Merry Christmas ad a happy New Year in Swedish!!!) /Clara

Julie on 12/17/01 at 05:20 (067173)

Hej Clara!

As we're up and conscious and writing at the same time on the 'other' side of the ocean, while everyone else is asleep, I'll be the first to thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful post about Sweden and the Swedish character. Having lived all my life in countries where patriotism (US) and 'national pride' (UK) I'm only too conscious of the pitfalls of both. I can only try to imagine what it must be like to live in a country where the 'Luther Law' prevails and people are discouraged from thinking they are 'somebody' or 'better than others'. But I would like it. You sound a bit apologetic about it, but to me it sounds completely civilized. And I guess it's the reason you've had no wars for 600 years.

It's good and right to love one's country - I love both of mine - but it's dangerous to think it better than other countries. Just my -lifelong - opinion.

All the best to you for Christmas - I know you'll have a happy one.

Julie

Clara on 12/17/01 at 07:53 (067178)

Hi Julie!

Thanks for your wonderful posts, I haven´t thought in that way... funny, how different people are thinking. But I understand what you mean, and that is magnificent that you sharing your life-experience, I already (by your postings, and your book) have understood that.

Of course I love my country, very much indeed, it isn´t that. Maybe it is hard for non-Swedish people to understand, this 'Law' we have here.. crazy, sad, but it is true. I think, like you Julie that it ísn´t only sad, we have no war for that long time, maybe that´s why!

Loving thoughts

from Clara

Re: to Julie

Clara on 12/17/01 at 09:22 (067183)

Hi again! Sorry Julie, I just read my post I wrote before, it was very crazy spelled, almost all the words was wrong, But I´m totally sure that you know what I mean. I´m at work now and my brain (not only my feet!) is a little overworked..

//Clara

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 10:56 (067188)

Dear Clara,
THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing about your country and your Christmas celebrations!! I so enjoyed reading what you wrote. I printed your messages out and will put them in my box of Christmas Around the World materials to keep and read to students every year. It is neat to think about your boys being the 'little Santas'. I had read about the boys wearing the cone shaped hats and being called 'star boys'. The boys in my room thought that was 'cool' and that they would like to do that. All the girls wanted to be Lucia! That will be special to them to know that you did that while growing up.
And I find it refreshing to read how other people in different areas think and feel about life. There are many things common to all of us, and in our differences, there are good things we can learn from each other! When you spoke about the Luther Law, it made me think of a line from a musical called 'Oklahoma!'. My daughter participates in a Youth Theater here and they performed it this past summer. In a scene where the ranchers and the cowboys are competing for the land before Oklahoma became a state in our country, the older aunt in the story sings a part which says, 'I don't think I'm no better than anybody else, but I'll be danged if I ain't just as good!' I guess there is a lesson in that. I was taught to never think (or act) as if I was any better than anyone, for in God's eyes we are all equal. I was also taught to not put myself down and feel inferior (although that lesson was harder for me to learn, and I still tend to do that!).
Whenever I go to a smorgasbord, I will think of you, Clara! Again, thanks for writing about your country and customs! I enjoyed it so much. You take care!

JudyS on 12/17/01 at 13:40 (067204)

Clara what a delight it is to read about your homeland from your perspective! It's quite a treat at this time of year. A hobby of mine is making 'real' bread from scratch and I make many different kinds. One of my favorites is (hope I get this spelling right) Santa Lucia or St. Lucia - do I remember correctly that there is traditionally a small 'treat' in the middle of the loaf?

clara on 12/18/01 at 03:57 (067302)

Hi all folks!

Nice that you enjojed my letter about Sweden, and I am very very happy that you understood what i wrote about my country. It was kind of hard to explain us people here in Sweden. Suzanne D I will check on the webb if I can find a picture on a 'Lucia-procession'.

That´s right, Judy, its kind of a round loaf of bread, created like a 8!! And with raisins in it. The bread is baked with saffron, and it´s very delicius, and with that we drink a cup of mulled wine (well, the adults do!) and a cookie called 'peppar-cookie'. It is a (mosly) heart-formed cake with for example ginger, syrup and the spice clove.

But we don´t give eachother something? I don´t know what you mean with:
'there is traditionally a small 'treat' in the middle of the loaf? ' I looked up the words in a dictionary but didn´t find it out.
Did you perhaps mean the small raisins? Sometimes I don´t get the english words right ..! ;-)
But I really do the best I can and I feel that you´ll understand me anyway. Well now, that´s something!! I really have learned a lot this year, not only by having PF, if you understand what I mean. I REALLY DO THINK SO!!

I´m so happy I´ve found you on this board! Thank you for that!!!!

Hugs to you all

/clara

Ps we call it 'Sankta Lucia' here in Sweden. But the other spellings is also right.
DS

Julie on 12/16/01 at 12:30 (067124)

Clara, if you still have your email about Christmas, do copy it into a response box here - I'm sure people would love to hear about Christmas in Sweden. I would!

Suzanne D on 12/16/01 at 19:24 (067151)

Dear Clara,
No, I am so sorry; I have not received your e-mail. I don't know what went wrong. We DID have problems a few days ago with the e-mail, but then it was fixed, so I don't know if perhaps it got 'lost' during that time! I would love to read about it here on the board! I am just sorry that you spent the time writing it, and we did not receive it. I thank you again for taking the time to do so.

My children at school learned some about Christmas in Sweden and made a headband with paper candles to wear as they learned the basics of Santa Lucia Day. We ate sweet rolls that day although I know they were not the special kind you have. I found the sheet music for a song which begins 'Wake up, Lucia comes today. O be glad!...' I played it for them and sang the words.

But it is not too late! Even though Friday was our last day of school until January 2, I will still read anything you write about your Christmas to share with the children when we return to school. I will give them some time to tell about their Christmas, and we could share it at that time!

And, believe me, you would not be able to understand ANYTHING if I tried to write in another language! I think you do very well, so don't ever apologize for your English!! You could really have a laugh and get your mind off your feet if you heard my southern/country accent! :-) (For anyone reading this who ever saw the show on the Disney Channel called The Torkelson's, I sound just like the mom on that show! (And both my daughters have double names like her children did on that show!)

Have a good Christmas, Clara!

Re: Suzanne D (and all other friends here!)! Here it is!Merry Christmas!

clara on 12/17/01 at 03:19 (067171)

Hi! I just do like this, I paste the text here and do not laught too much!!! Heheh! No, Suzanne, I am not feel ashamed, I know it´s not easy to learn another language, but here in Sweden we learn to talk english from 9 years age and up, so I think I really should do better... and in my job I have to read and talk lots of english too. And Suzanne again, it doesn´t matter at all, it was fun writing this!!! Im so sorry that you didn´t get it. Maybe I wrote the wrong e-mailadress. I hope you´ll understand SOMETHING - it´s rather difficult to explain Swedish people.. it´s kind of complex. But here´s a try! (funny with the story about Santa Lucia- you told us about Suzanne, On dec. 13 I saw at least 4 Lucia-processions.... Lovely! When I was a little girl I was Lucia a couple of times. My boys uses to be 'little santas', or 'Staffan Stalledräng' = the boys have a 'cone' on their heads, white nightgown, and a golden star on a stick. I use to cry a little and am very, very proud, like mothers are!

This will be a loooooong letter, and Scott, the square is to little, so I put the text in a new post underneeth. Maybe I will need to do two or three posts this time!

And I wrote not ONLY about Christmas, it is more about how we are 'in common' here in Sweden, and something about the country.
Have a nice (!?) read and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!!

//Clara

clara on 12/17/01 at 03:34 (067172)

Hej! (that´s hi there! in Swedish)

My name i Clara and I live in Sweden. I am 36 years old and I am living in Orebro, the first letter you don´t have, its an O whith two dots on it. It pronounced Oerebro. I am married and have 2 boys, Emanuel, he is 9 years old and Joseph, 2½ years. I have always been living in Sweden, and have only been abroad a couple of times, in France and England. Never in the U.S.A. My husband, however, have been touring 'round the world' when he was younger. I work as a librarian at our public library in Orebro. I love my work! It took me for about 5 years at the university in Orebro and Boras to get my degree. Well, about Sweden and the swedish people. I think we are a very friendly people in common. Maybe a little naive, I think, we have not have any wars since the 15:th century. We don´t love our country like you do (well I do!) I mean like this, we are not at all 'patriotic', is that spelled rigth?? You see, here in Sweden we have a crazy unspoken 'law', It is common known here, but we hardly never talk about it, we call it the 'Luther Law'. It like that: 'You should NOT think that you ARE somebody, or BETTER than anybody'. It´s rather strange, but everybody knows about it. (Not foreighers perhaps!) And it´s no good, either. I can´t explain it, it´s a feeling. Maybe we are a little cold on the inside (towards our selves, if you understand what I mean.) It is cold here, too! In the winters, brrrrrrrrrr! But in the summers, it can be rather hot, and its very pretty, in the North you can see the sun during the day AND night in june-july !!! So, probably you know that Sweden is large at the area. However, we aren´t that many here, 'only' 9 million people. Sweden is mostly trees, trees and more trees....... But we have many immigrants here in Sweden, that´s good to our culture. Maybe we need more warmness, and temperamentness(right?) too, if you understand what I mean. Many of us are a little booooring, I think. We need other 'better' cultures, 'inner-laws' like 'Love yourself' and so on! I think I´m lucky. We study a lot english in scool, for about 7 years (believe it or not!!!) I don´t talk that much english, so I haven´t got any practice in real life, but little every day on my job, AND on the 'board' I have learned a lot lately. And got many friends! Soon it´ll be Christmas and I´m sure you know that we eat smorgasboard here, it´s from Sweden, and one of the dishes is meatballs. We give eachother Christmaspresents not on Christmas Day, but on dec.24! Gosh its lots to tell you but now I will stop, either I will go on and on and on.... It was fun telling you about Sweden. If you want, plz tell me something about your country and what you do, and so on. It would be fun! If you want to know more about Sweden, you can go in on the following site and get more statistics and so on about Sweden http://www.sweden.com or http://www.sweden.se and mail me if you want to know something more about Sweden. I hope you have got something (to laugh about, too, perhaps!!!) ....! Take care! And:

GOD JUL OCH GOTT NYTT AR!!!! (that´s Merry Christmas ad a happy New Year in Swedish!!!) /Clara

Julie on 12/17/01 at 05:20 (067173)

Hej Clara!

As we're up and conscious and writing at the same time on the 'other' side of the ocean, while everyone else is asleep, I'll be the first to thank you for your very interesting and thoughtful post about Sweden and the Swedish character. Having lived all my life in countries where patriotism (US) and 'national pride' (UK) I'm only too conscious of the pitfalls of both. I can only try to imagine what it must be like to live in a country where the 'Luther Law' prevails and people are discouraged from thinking they are 'somebody' or 'better than others'. But I would like it. You sound a bit apologetic about it, but to me it sounds completely civilized. And I guess it's the reason you've had no wars for 600 years.

It's good and right to love one's country - I love both of mine - but it's dangerous to think it better than other countries. Just my -lifelong - opinion.

All the best to you for Christmas - I know you'll have a happy one.

Julie

Clara on 12/17/01 at 07:53 (067178)

Hi Julie!

Thanks for your wonderful posts, I haven´t thought in that way... funny, how different people are thinking. But I understand what you mean, and that is magnificent that you sharing your life-experience, I already (by your postings, and your book) have understood that.

Of course I love my country, very much indeed, it isn´t that. Maybe it is hard for non-Swedish people to understand, this 'Law' we have here.. crazy, sad, but it is true. I think, like you Julie that it ísn´t only sad, we have no war for that long time, maybe that´s why!

Loving thoughts

from Clara

Re: to Julie

Clara on 12/17/01 at 09:22 (067183)

Hi again! Sorry Julie, I just read my post I wrote before, it was very crazy spelled, almost all the words was wrong, But I´m totally sure that you know what I mean. I´m at work now and my brain (not only my feet!) is a little overworked..

//Clara

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 10:56 (067188)

Dear Clara,
THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing about your country and your Christmas celebrations!! I so enjoyed reading what you wrote. I printed your messages out and will put them in my box of Christmas Around the World materials to keep and read to students every year. It is neat to think about your boys being the 'little Santas'. I had read about the boys wearing the cone shaped hats and being called 'star boys'. The boys in my room thought that was 'cool' and that they would like to do that. All the girls wanted to be Lucia! That will be special to them to know that you did that while growing up.
And I find it refreshing to read how other people in different areas think and feel about life. There are many things common to all of us, and in our differences, there are good things we can learn from each other! When you spoke about the Luther Law, it made me think of a line from a musical called 'Oklahoma!'. My daughter participates in a Youth Theater here and they performed it this past summer. In a scene where the ranchers and the cowboys are competing for the land before Oklahoma became a state in our country, the older aunt in the story sings a part which says, 'I don't think I'm no better than anybody else, but I'll be danged if I ain't just as good!' I guess there is a lesson in that. I was taught to never think (or act) as if I was any better than anyone, for in God's eyes we are all equal. I was also taught to not put myself down and feel inferior (although that lesson was harder for me to learn, and I still tend to do that!).
Whenever I go to a smorgasbord, I will think of you, Clara! Again, thanks for writing about your country and customs! I enjoyed it so much. You take care!

JudyS on 12/17/01 at 13:40 (067204)

Clara what a delight it is to read about your homeland from your perspective! It's quite a treat at this time of year. A hobby of mine is making 'real' bread from scratch and I make many different kinds. One of my favorites is (hope I get this spelling right) Santa Lucia or St. Lucia - do I remember correctly that there is traditionally a small 'treat' in the middle of the loaf?

clara on 12/18/01 at 03:57 (067302)

Hi all folks!

Nice that you enjojed my letter about Sweden, and I am very very happy that you understood what i wrote about my country. It was kind of hard to explain us people here in Sweden. Suzanne D I will check on the webb if I can find a picture on a 'Lucia-procession'.

That´s right, Judy, its kind of a round loaf of bread, created like a 8!! And with raisins in it. The bread is baked with saffron, and it´s very delicius, and with that we drink a cup of mulled wine (well, the adults do!) and a cookie called 'peppar-cookie'. It is a (mosly) heart-formed cake with for example ginger, syrup and the spice clove.

But we don´t give eachother something? I don´t know what you mean with:
'there is traditionally a small 'treat' in the middle of the loaf? ' I looked up the words in a dictionary but didn´t find it out.
Did you perhaps mean the small raisins? Sometimes I don´t get the english words right ..! ;-)
But I really do the best I can and I feel that you´ll understand me anyway. Well now, that´s something!! I really have learned a lot this year, not only by having PF, if you understand what I mean. I REALLY DO THINK SO!!

I´m so happy I´ve found you on this board! Thank you for that!!!!

Hugs to you all

/clara

Ps we call it 'Sankta Lucia' here in Sweden. But the other spellings is also right.
DS