Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Follow up to Targas shoes

Posted by Larry P on 12/16/01 at 12:47 (067125)

It has been about three weeks since I purchased and started to wear my Targas shoes, and they have been great on my feet. Most shoes take awhile to break in, but with these, I was wearing them all the time after a two day break in. My orthodics fit perfectly under the pad that came with the shoes.

Also, I did change a couple of my nightly routines. I read a post from a women who used an ace bandage and her orthodics to make a custom night splint. As with many others on this board, I found the hard 'ski boot type' of night splint to be too uncomfortable to sleep at night, so I gave the custom night splint a try. First I used athletic tape to hold my othodics to my feet, but the tape was horrible to remove in the morning. I am still regrowing hair on the top of my feet. LOL The ace bandage is much better, and one can leave them on when you take a shower in the morning. Just take them off and hang them to dry during the day.

I am planing on seeing my doctor after the new year, and asking him if I should have my heel spur removed. I don't want to go the surgury route, but am interested in the shockwave approach. Right now the only real pain I have in my heel is when I sqeeze my heel slightly long ways, so I am wondering if I should have the spur removed.

Thanks for all help and insight. Larry

Re: Follow up to Targas shoes

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 13:18 (067126)

Larry, I'm glad your Targas shoes are working so well for you.

It sounds like you are recovering quite well using conservative treatments. Maybe you will not need to have your heel spurs removed at all!

Carole

Julie on 12/16/01 at 14:05 (067127)

Larry, I'm so pleased to hear that you and your North Face Targas are still getting on fine! I love mine, and bless the day I found them.

If your heel pain has diminished to such an extent, your plantar fascia is healing. Heel spurs are very rarely the cause of the PF heel pain (Dr Ed Davis has posted his doubts as to whether they exist at all) so I'm sure your doctor will say that there is no need for you to undergo surgery to have them removed.

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 18:08 (067243)

where did you find the Targas, Larry?

rebecca

Larry P on 12/17/01 at 19:04 (067250)

I purchased my North face Targas at a store here in Montana called Gart Sports. If you got to the North Face web page, the have a search area to find vendors in your hometown. I believe it is http://www.thenorthface.com , or try a search through yahoo for the north face.

nancy s. on 12/18/01 at 05:32 (067304)

hmm ... i've scrutinized the north face website and don't find any reference to targas shoes. there are other shoes and boots, but with different names. a few stores somewhat near me carry north face footwear, so i guess i'll just stop over and see how they feel.

does anyone know if the other styles are as good as the targas?

nancy

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 17:36 (067350)

I saw the Targa shoes on the Northface website. They are under the mens shoes.

Carole

Carole C on 12/16/01 at 13:18 (067126)

Larry, I'm glad your Targas shoes are working so well for you.

It sounds like you are recovering quite well using conservative treatments. Maybe you will not need to have your heel spurs removed at all!

Carole

Julie on 12/16/01 at 14:05 (067127)

Larry, I'm so pleased to hear that you and your North Face Targas are still getting on fine! I love mine, and bless the day I found them.

If your heel pain has diminished to such an extent, your plantar fascia is healing. Heel spurs are very rarely the cause of the PF heel pain (Dr Ed Davis has posted his doubts as to whether they exist at all) so I'm sure your doctor will say that there is no need for you to undergo surgery to have them removed.

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 18:08 (067243)

where did you find the Targas, Larry?

rebecca

Larry P on 12/17/01 at 19:04 (067250)

I purchased my North face Targas at a store here in Montana called Gart Sports. If you got to the North Face web page, the have a search area to find vendors in your hometown. I believe it is http://www.thenorthface.com , or try a search through yahoo for the north face.

nancy s. on 12/18/01 at 05:32 (067304)

hmm ... i've scrutinized the north face website and don't find any reference to targas shoes. there are other shoes and boots, but with different names. a few stores somewhat near me carry north face footwear, so i guess i'll just stop over and see how they feel.

does anyone know if the other styles are as good as the targas?

nancy

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 17:36 (067350)

I saw the Targa shoes on the Northface website. They are under the mens shoes.

Carole