Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suzanne -- I found Ashokan Farewell!

Posted by Rebecca H on 12/17/01 at 09:49 (067184)

Suzanne--
Below is the site where you can hear the Ashokan farewell done by the man who originally composed it.

http://www.dancingontheair.com/civilwar.asp

Hope you're having a good foot day!

Rebecca

Re: Suzanne -- I found Ashokan Farewell!

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 11:07 (067189)

THANK YOU, Rebecca!! I am not the best on computers, and I have tried but can't get the song to play. I believe I have to install something to be able to hear it. As soon as my family returns later this afternoon, I will get one of them to look at this site and help me. I am looking forward to hearing it! Thanks again for posting this!

I am resting my feet more today with it being our first day out of school for Christmas vacation. I am trying to catch up on laundry and a few other things while resting in between. You have a nice day! :-)

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 13:58 (067208)

sounds like we're doing the same thing today- Laundry! My sweet husband has been carrying it up and down the basement stairs (thats where the washer and dryer are) and parking it in the kitchen. I fold it sitting down at our big kitchen table. Then the children help get it upstairs to their bedrooms. Oh, by the way, thats five (not six) kids! LOL My oldest son is 15, then I have a daughter-11, and three more boys-9,6 and 2 The 2yrold is more work than all the others put together!!!! He is a smart, fast, strong-willed little guy. But the other children are helping out alot with him as well as learning some new chores to help keep me off my feet. My six year old is learning to read. He is catching on to books like Go Dog Go. I read a page, then he reads a page and so on. It seems a little hard for him still but he seems to be making progress. Do you have any suggestions for books he might enjoy? My daughter has strep throat. So we've been going throught the movies today. First it was Scrooge, now its Fiddler on the Roof. I hope the rest of the family doesn't get it! But you know with strep we probably will. Oh well! We'll face that when it comes!!

your pf friend,
rebecca

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 14:33 (067210)

Hi, Rebecca! Hope your laundry is going well. My washer and dryer are also in the basement, and I am the only one home now, so I go down to the basement, then rest awhile...My daughter came home from college, so the laundry has piled up!

Go, Dog, Go! is a great choice for your little 6 year old. That, and any of the other Dr. Seuss Beginning Reader series (not all written by Dr. Seuss but easily recognizable by the Cat in the Hat picture on the spine)are very good as they have limited vocabulary but high interest and are funny - much more so than books with pages that read 'See the van. It is big and red. See the big, red van.' Some other titles are Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, and one for us here at Heelspurs.com - The FEET Book! :-) Actually books have improved in that area a great deal in recent years. Most of those books can also be bought with an accompanying audio cassette tape so that a child can listen and follow along. But, no one can overestimate the value of doing what you described: sitting with him and taking turns reading! The emotional support of that is invaluable. There is a Scholastic Book series that I have recommended to parents that can be bought through book orders. Libraries are good resources as well as the children's sections of bookstores. Of course you know this already! Sorry...get me on the subject of children and reading and I take off...:-)

I sympathize about the strep throat. My daughters used to get that SO often. Take care, and I hope the rest of you stay well! Happy reading and washing!

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 18:37 (067245)

Suzanne's answer about books was terrific! Suzanne, I can tell already you are a wonderful teacher.

Rebecca, is your daughter on antibiotics? I hope you don't all come down with strep for Christmas! If you do, that would be awful. You would probably feel more like 'Poor Pitiful Pearl' than I do. Anybody else here remember that doll? It was popular back around 1960, and had the most PITIFUL sad-pouty-orphan look on her face. My best friend had one. Poor Pitiful Pearl probably was modeled after someone that had strep on Christmas. (grin)

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 18:40 (067246)

I haven't been able to get it to play either, but I'm still trying. I'll let you know if I figure it out. I have 'Real Player' and I downloaded the song to my desktop, but 'Real Player' doesn't seem to like it so far.

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 19:03 (067249)

yep. Just got her first dose. Now she's watching Little House on the Prairie. She's a trooper. She's been eating ice chips, getting chloriseptic spray and children's motrin too.

Well, at least if we get sick we will know what it probably is and get to the doc quick.

By, the way, want to come have Christmas with us?!!!! LOL
Seriously, if you could beam yourself up here (northern Illinois) we would love to have you. We could sit around and talk about our feet!!!!!
Its my favorite subject. But most people I try to talk to about it have this tendency to glaze over pretty quick! I think I need to make up some extremely interesting story about How I Injured Them like maybe I had a fight with a Grizzly bear while saving a drowning child or something like that. It sounds better than 'I wore bad shoes alot' ha ha ha

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 19:09 (067252)

that's funny, real player worked for me. Hope you can get it. It really is a beautiful melody. It goes like this: da da daaaaaa da da da da, da da daaa da da da daaaa daaaa.....LOL

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:18 (067254)

I wish I could! Thanks for the invitation, and for caring. I am one of those who is terrified to fly since Sept. 11th, so I'm not going to appear on your doorstep. Still, I appreciate the thought. :)

How about 'It's an athletic injury... in addition to raising five children, teaching piano, and being a good wife, I run marathons and got one of those repetitive sports injuries; you know, plantar fasciitis!' Well, even if you don't really run *official* marathons, I think with five kids you probably cover twice the territory every day, so it would not be entirely made up. LOL

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:19 (067255)

LOL... I will keep trying. My real player has given me this same trouble with other files. Maybe I need to download a newer version.

Carole C

Re: I heard it! Beautiful!!!

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 19:59 (067265)

Dear Rebecca,
My husband installed a newer version of Real Player, and I just heard Ashokan Farewell! As soon as I heard it begin, I realized I remembered hearing it when my husband has watched the Civil War documentaries. And it IS hauntingly beautiful!! Thank you very much for sending it! Where did you say you found the piano music for it? If I couldn't play it, my daughter could! My husband also remembered other songs on the site and listened to 'Tenting on the Old Campground'. We will save that site as a favorite and enjoy the music many times. Thank you again!!

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 20:00 (067266)

My husband installed Real Player 8, Carole, and we got to hear it. Maybe you could download a newer version, as you said.

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:42 (067273)

for the sheet music check out http://www.jayandmolly.com/ashokanfaq.html
There are two piano arrangements. One is easy in the key of C. The other one is in the key of D. I bet your daughter would like the D one. It is 3.95. By the way, I am in no way related to or have any connection to jay and molly! : )

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:46 (067274)

my husband is also loves history and has a special interest in the Civil War. One of our favorite movies is Gettysburg. Based on the book 'The Killer Angels'

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:55 (067275)

I like that 'Athletic Injury' idea. I really used to run triathlons. Well, make that ONE triathlon. And it was a MINI triathlon. The swimming part was 1/2 mile, the running part was 3 miles and the biking 12 miles. That was loooooonggggg ago. Back when I was 22! The peak of my athletic career! : ) In the past few years I've been a walker. Our home is about a mile from lake Michigan so I used to walk down there LONG ago like last JULY!!!! It seems long ago. I think time slows way down when you get pf. Must be the PF TIME WARP. Well, I'm getting a little goofy, sooo
guess I better get off this computer and get those young'uns to bed. (can you tell I'm from the South?) bye for now

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 23:52 (067298)

Thank you! I installed it too, just now. It is so beautiful. I think the way it is played is a lot of it. It's played with a lot of feeling.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 11:07 (067189)

THANK YOU, Rebecca!! I am not the best on computers, and I have tried but can't get the song to play. I believe I have to install something to be able to hear it. As soon as my family returns later this afternoon, I will get one of them to look at this site and help me. I am looking forward to hearing it! Thanks again for posting this!

I am resting my feet more today with it being our first day out of school for Christmas vacation. I am trying to catch up on laundry and a few other things while resting in between. You have a nice day! :-)

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 13:58 (067208)

sounds like we're doing the same thing today- Laundry! My sweet husband has been carrying it up and down the basement stairs (thats where the washer and dryer are) and parking it in the kitchen. I fold it sitting down at our big kitchen table. Then the children help get it upstairs to their bedrooms. Oh, by the way, thats five (not six) kids! LOL My oldest son is 15, then I have a daughter-11, and three more boys-9,6 and 2 The 2yrold is more work than all the others put together!!!! He is a smart, fast, strong-willed little guy. But the other children are helping out alot with him as well as learning some new chores to help keep me off my feet. My six year old is learning to read. He is catching on to books like Go Dog Go. I read a page, then he reads a page and so on. It seems a little hard for him still but he seems to be making progress. Do you have any suggestions for books he might enjoy? My daughter has strep throat. So we've been going throught the movies today. First it was Scrooge, now its Fiddler on the Roof. I hope the rest of the family doesn't get it! But you know with strep we probably will. Oh well! We'll face that when it comes!!

your pf friend,
rebecca

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 14:33 (067210)

Hi, Rebecca! Hope your laundry is going well. My washer and dryer are also in the basement, and I am the only one home now, so I go down to the basement, then rest awhile...My daughter came home from college, so the laundry has piled up!

Go, Dog, Go! is a great choice for your little 6 year old. That, and any of the other Dr. Seuss Beginning Reader series (not all written by Dr. Seuss but easily recognizable by the Cat in the Hat picture on the spine)are very good as they have limited vocabulary but high interest and are funny - much more so than books with pages that read 'See the van. It is big and red. See the big, red van.' Some other titles are Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, and one for us here at Heelspurs.com - The FEET Book! :-) Actually books have improved in that area a great deal in recent years. Most of those books can also be bought with an accompanying audio cassette tape so that a child can listen and follow along. But, no one can overestimate the value of doing what you described: sitting with him and taking turns reading! The emotional support of that is invaluable. There is a Scholastic Book series that I have recommended to parents that can be bought through book orders. Libraries are good resources as well as the children's sections of bookstores. Of course you know this already! Sorry...get me on the subject of children and reading and I take off...:-)

I sympathize about the strep throat. My daughters used to get that SO often. Take care, and I hope the rest of you stay well! Happy reading and washing!

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 18:37 (067245)

Suzanne's answer about books was terrific! Suzanne, I can tell already you are a wonderful teacher.

Rebecca, is your daughter on antibiotics? I hope you don't all come down with strep for Christmas! If you do, that would be awful. You would probably feel more like 'Poor Pitiful Pearl' than I do. Anybody else here remember that doll? It was popular back around 1960, and had the most PITIFUL sad-pouty-orphan look on her face. My best friend had one. Poor Pitiful Pearl probably was modeled after someone that had strep on Christmas. (grin)

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 18:40 (067246)

I haven't been able to get it to play either, but I'm still trying. I'll let you know if I figure it out. I have 'Real Player' and I downloaded the song to my desktop, but 'Real Player' doesn't seem to like it so far.

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 19:03 (067249)

yep. Just got her first dose. Now she's watching Little House on the Prairie. She's a trooper. She's been eating ice chips, getting chloriseptic spray and children's motrin too.

Well, at least if we get sick we will know what it probably is and get to the doc quick.

By, the way, want to come have Christmas with us?!!!! LOL
Seriously, if you could beam yourself up here (northern Illinois) we would love to have you. We could sit around and talk about our feet!!!!!
Its my favorite subject. But most people I try to talk to about it have this tendency to glaze over pretty quick! I think I need to make up some extremely interesting story about How I Injured Them like maybe I had a fight with a Grizzly bear while saving a drowning child or something like that. It sounds better than 'I wore bad shoes alot' ha ha ha

rebecca h on 12/17/01 at 19:09 (067252)

that's funny, real player worked for me. Hope you can get it. It really is a beautiful melody. It goes like this: da da daaaaaa da da da da, da da daaa da da da daaaa daaaa.....LOL

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:18 (067254)

I wish I could! Thanks for the invitation, and for caring. I am one of those who is terrified to fly since Sept. 11th, so I'm not going to appear on your doorstep. Still, I appreciate the thought. :)

How about 'It's an athletic injury... in addition to raising five children, teaching piano, and being a good wife, I run marathons and got one of those repetitive sports injuries; you know, plantar fasciitis!' Well, even if you don't really run *official* marathons, I think with five kids you probably cover twice the territory every day, so it would not be entirely made up. LOL

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 19:19 (067255)

LOL... I will keep trying. My real player has given me this same trouble with other files. Maybe I need to download a newer version.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 19:59 (067265)

Dear Rebecca,
My husband installed a newer version of Real Player, and I just heard Ashokan Farewell! As soon as I heard it begin, I realized I remembered hearing it when my husband has watched the Civil War documentaries. And it IS hauntingly beautiful!! Thank you very much for sending it! Where did you say you found the piano music for it? If I couldn't play it, my daughter could! My husband also remembered other songs on the site and listened to 'Tenting on the Old Campground'. We will save that site as a favorite and enjoy the music many times. Thank you again!!

Suzanne D on 12/17/01 at 20:00 (067266)

My husband installed Real Player 8, Carole, and we got to hear it. Maybe you could download a newer version, as you said.

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:42 (067273)

for the sheet music check out http://www.jayandmolly.com/ashokanfaq.html
There are two piano arrangements. One is easy in the key of C. The other one is in the key of D. I bet your daughter would like the D one. It is 3.95. By the way, I am in no way related to or have any connection to jay and molly! : )

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:46 (067274)

my husband is also loves history and has a special interest in the Civil War. One of our favorite movies is Gettysburg. Based on the book 'The Killer Angels'

rebecca on 12/17/01 at 20:55 (067275)

I like that 'Athletic Injury' idea. I really used to run triathlons. Well, make that ONE triathlon. And it was a MINI triathlon. The swimming part was 1/2 mile, the running part was 3 miles and the biking 12 miles. That was loooooonggggg ago. Back when I was 22! The peak of my athletic career! : ) In the past few years I've been a walker. Our home is about a mile from lake Michigan so I used to walk down there LONG ago like last JULY!!!! It seems long ago. I think time slows way down when you get pf. Must be the PF TIME WARP. Well, I'm getting a little goofy, sooo
guess I better get off this computer and get those young'uns to bed. (can you tell I'm from the South?) bye for now

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 23:52 (067298)

Thank you! I installed it too, just now. It is so beautiful. I think the way it is played is a lot of it. It's played with a lot of feeling.

Carole C