Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does your arch support seem to high????

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 12/17/01 at 13:46 (067205)

I am working on another 'study' like the one from the treatment board with Mike, C.Ped. I remember many of you stating that the arch area in your orthosis seemed very high. I wanted to find out if this is still the case with any of you. Also, let me know how the impression of your feet were taken, ex: slipper cast, impression foam, etc, as well as your foot type, high, low or medium arch.

Much appreciated!!!
Richard

Re: Does your arch support seem to high????

nancy s. on 12/17/01 at 15:21 (067219)

hi richard,
i never completely adjusted to my good orthotics, made over a year ago, because of the arch. they really are good, and in many ways seemed like they were going to help, but i couldn't continue to wear them because of pain in my arches. (i can wear them for an hour at most and then have to change.) i had a couple of adjustments done, but then the orthotist was reluctant to take out any more, because he said the orthotics would not be doing what they're made to do (i hyperpronate).
my arches appear normal until i stand, and then they flatten out to almost nothing. pancakes.
the orthotics were cast via the foam impression method -- and i remember being pleased because he did it exactly as you were doing it at that time. it all made perfect sense ... except that i can't wear them for long!
nancy

JudyS on 12/17/01 at 21:17 (067279)

Dear Orthodude - yes, that was always my sense through three pair of 'custom' orthotics. The first was from a plaster mold taken while I was up in a chair with my foot extended and held at neutral - they were 3/4 length hard, white plastic.
The second two were Footmaxx, taken from an image collected in a stroll across a computerized mat. The second of those two sets was made as a result of me telling them the first was just too rigid.
I have very high and 'tight' arches, and no matter what kind of inserts I've ever used, they always seemed to put too much pressure on the arch which caused problems in addition to PF. Now I don't use any.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 22:01 (067281)

My arch height in my orthotic is PERFECT. It is high but that is what I need. Today was my 9th day wearing it, and it feels wonderful. It is a higher arch than my Birkenstock classic footbed, and I crave that higher arch.

She took the impression using FOAM. After they were made, she didn't like the way one of them came out (though I couldn't tell there was anything wrong) so she re-did that one and then she was satisfied.

She says I have a very HIGH ARCH.

I don't know anything else about my foot type except the big toe is not the longest, my foot is about a 9 1/2 B or C, and I have heelspurs and PF.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 22:13 (067282)

Oh, and like Nancy my arches flatten out like pancakes when I stand on them. When my pedorthist told me I had very high arches, I said, 'HUH???' because I thought I had flat feet!

But felt my arches carefully and insisted that they are very high.

Beverly on 12/18/01 at 18:12 (067356)

My first two sets of orthodics were too high in the arch and that was why I couldn't wear them even after adjustments. They were made from plaster casts... the first from a seated position with the doctor holding my foot and the second with me on my stomach and my foot put in neutral.

I wasn't until I moved to a different city and went to a place that uses the foam box I stepped into that I found the right match for my arches. I know the foam box is often considered inferior to being cast in nuetral but for me, I like it better. I've been in my orthodics since late Spring. They have not solved all of my problems, but they have greatly alleviated the PTT pain. And the arch no longer bothers me.

I have an average arch. It used to be high but over time, it has gone down.

Beverly

nancy s. on 12/17/01 at 15:21 (067219)

hi richard,
i never completely adjusted to my good orthotics, made over a year ago, because of the arch. they really are good, and in many ways seemed like they were going to help, but i couldn't continue to wear them because of pain in my arches. (i can wear them for an hour at most and then have to change.) i had a couple of adjustments done, but then the orthotist was reluctant to take out any more, because he said the orthotics would not be doing what they're made to do (i hyperpronate).
my arches appear normal until i stand, and then they flatten out to almost nothing. pancakes.
the orthotics were cast via the foam impression method -- and i remember being pleased because he did it exactly as you were doing it at that time. it all made perfect sense ... except that i can't wear them for long!
nancy

JudyS on 12/17/01 at 21:17 (067279)

Dear Orthodude - yes, that was always my sense through three pair of 'custom' orthotics. The first was from a plaster mold taken while I was up in a chair with my foot extended and held at neutral - they were 3/4 length hard, white plastic.
The second two were Footmaxx, taken from an image collected in a stroll across a computerized mat. The second of those two sets was made as a result of me telling them the first was just too rigid.
I have very high and 'tight' arches, and no matter what kind of inserts I've ever used, they always seemed to put too much pressure on the arch which caused problems in addition to PF. Now I don't use any.

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 22:01 (067281)

My arch height in my orthotic is PERFECT. It is high but that is what I need. Today was my 9th day wearing it, and it feels wonderful. It is a higher arch than my Birkenstock classic footbed, and I crave that higher arch.

She took the impression using FOAM. After they were made, she didn't like the way one of them came out (though I couldn't tell there was anything wrong) so she re-did that one and then she was satisfied.

She says I have a very HIGH ARCH.

I don't know anything else about my foot type except the big toe is not the longest, my foot is about a 9 1/2 B or C, and I have heelspurs and PF.

Carole C

Carole C on 12/17/01 at 22:13 (067282)

Oh, and like Nancy my arches flatten out like pancakes when I stand on them. When my pedorthist told me I had very high arches, I said, 'HUH???' because I thought I had flat feet!

But felt my arches carefully and insisted that they are very high.

Beverly on 12/18/01 at 18:12 (067356)

My first two sets of orthodics were too high in the arch and that was why I couldn't wear them even after adjustments. They were made from plaster casts... the first from a seated position with the doctor holding my foot and the second with me on my stomach and my foot put in neutral.

I wasn't until I moved to a different city and went to a place that uses the foam box I stepped into that I found the right match for my arches. I know the foam box is often considered inferior to being cast in nuetral but for me, I like it better. I've been in my orthodics since late Spring. They have not solved all of my problems, but they have greatly alleviated the PTT pain. And the arch no longer bothers me.

I have an average arch. It used to be high but over time, it has gone down.

Beverly