Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does this sound like a good plan and am I missing anything important?

Posted by rebecca on 12/18/01 at 11:43 (067327)

My Foot Plan:

1. Stretching (non weight bearing)
2. Icing (soft gel pacs)
3. Taping
4. Vitamins (especially B and C)
5. anti inflamatory
6. REST
7. lose weight
8. pray
9. accept help, ask for help
10. keep a positive attitude (or at least try!!!)
11. keep working with podiatrist on getting custom orthotics right
12. ask for MRI for forefoot pain
13. get night splints as soon as possible

Re: Does this sound like a good plan and am I missing anything important?

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 12:59 (067331)

looks like you've got all the important things covered... I know you know the following, too:

14. Never stand or walk barefoot, even for one step
15. gentle massage
16. Elevation

Carole

Julie on 12/19/01 at 01:42 (067381)

Hi Rebecca

I'm impressed! This sounds like an excellent plan, a good balance of the practical and the spiritual. Give number 9 extra attention - say to yourself 9 times every day 'It's my turn to practice the generosity of receiving'.

Lots and lots of 8.

Maybe don't insist on 10 too much. PF is a bugger (as we say here) and it's ok to be negative about it and cry when you feel like it.

With this comprehensive healing plan in place you can't fail to heal.

And you will.

rebecca h on 12/19/01 at 11:49 (067400)

Thanks Julie,

I was glad when I saw your answer. I know you know alot about all this foot stuff from your well-thought-out answers to everyone. I was wondering how long you had PF and is it better now?

rebecca

Julie on 12/19/01 at 16:13 (067415)

Hi Rebecca

I'm glad my answer made you glad. All I know about 'foot stuff' specifically is from my own experience of PF, but I have a basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology because I've taught yoga and trained yoga teachers for some years. I know something about exercise and have always had a personal as well as a professional interest in it. I try to pass that on as appropriate on the board.

Here's my PF story. It came on suddenly and painfully in August 2000, triggered by a minor back injury, which was the final straw - on top of my flat pronated feet, and my age (65 at the time). I found heelspurs.com almost immediately and self-diagnosed it; the podiatrist I saw agreed, and helped me get started on a treatment plan. By January 2001 I was 95% better, and have been ok since then. Those five months seemed like a long time at the time, but I know it was nothing compared to what others have experienced. I feel sure that the fact that I started dealing with it quickly was a, if not the, major factor in my relatively quick and straightforward healing. I find it heartbreaking that so many people wait so long to address it because they simply don't know about it, and my Christmas wish is that everyone who is stricken with it is led by magic to this website, which has helped so many people.

Rest, taping, heelspurs.com, custom orthotics, Birkenstocks, and my yoga foot exercises were the mainstays of my treatment. And learning some patience.

I'm fine now, and have been for a year, but I've accepted that once you've had PF you need to be vigilant: it does recur, as we know. I think of my insertion point as a 'weak spot' that will always need me to be attentive to whatever it tells me, so I am. I don't go barefoot, I always wear my Targas with my orthotics (outdoors) or my Birks (indoors) and I keep the tape handy just in case. The occasional twinges that I get are useful reminders of the need to stay alert. I would rather think of myself as 'in remission' than as 'cured'. It seems safer!

You've made a really good start, and I am sure that you will be all right. Be patient and hopeful, and get all the help you can with the chores that don't absolutely require your personal attention. I know it seems now as though PF will never end - but it will!

Re: Julie

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 16:56 (067417)

Wow! What a neat surprise. I had imagined you as 38-40, Julie, not someone over 65. You are a delightful and mentally energetic person. I'm 53 so I'm getting to the age where I'm pleasantly surprised when anybody is older than me, these days.

If/when I go 'into remission', I hope I can put these huge unisex SAS shoes in the back of the closet, temporarily, and put my orthotics in some other high quality tie-up shoes that are of a more normal size. I prefer to look like I am wearing shoes rather than wearing the boxes the shoes came in! (just joking) However the SAS shoes do seem to be wonderfully protective of my feet and helpful during healing. I truly feel my feet are beginning to improve each day, something that I didn't feel was the case before the orthotic-inside-SAS-shoe combination.

Alternately, maybe when I'm in remission I will get some of the high-arch Tatami Birkenstocks fitted to me at a Birkenstock store, and wear those. I got to the point where I sort of like the way my Birks look, after wearing them a while. They just don't help me as much as the custom orthotics.

I really hope that at some point I am able to take a normal, standing shower again, though! Meanwhile, the shower stool has been one of the most helpful aspects of my regimen. I would also like to be able to go to the grocery store and Walmart on the same day, and then being able to walk around the mall the next day. I am not really a shopping addict, but I enjoy being able to walk about that much and it made me feel very proud for the few months when I could.

It took me a month to find heelspurs.com, and another month before I was diagnosed and got my orthotics, but I am hoping to find my way out of this labyrinth as quickly as possible too.

Carole

Re: Thanks, Carole!

Julie on 12/20/01 at 02:24 (067448)

Hi Carole

Thank you for the lovely compliment. Well, they say you're as old as you feel and I guess I'm still waiting to grow up. No, seriously: it surprises me too that I've gotten to be so old. I certainly don't feel it - yet. I spend much of my time with my students, who are mostly very much younger than me; my husband, who is older, has been telling me for the past 40 years that I'll always be 'the youngest'. I suppose that's a good age-forgetting combination.

Enough about me. Here are some predictions for you.

You WILL have a Real Shower again.

You WILL go to Walmart and the grocery store on the same day.

You WILL walk around the mall the next day. Or maybe even the same day.

You WILL be able to wear shoes that don't look more like the boxes they came in (I loved this!)

Try to believe it, and look forward to it. And enjoy every little bit of improvement along the way.

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 05:45 (067451)

Wow!!!!!! Oh good, I sure hope you are right! My idea of a perfect day would be to take a real shower and walk through WalMart and Circuit City or other equally large establishments.

I am enjoying the improvement so far. Yesterday we were allowed to go home early, at 2 PM. After arriving at home I took out several bags of trash, and actually managed to mop the kitchen floor! Now bear in mind, this is the small floor of the kitchen in my apartment, only perhaps 30-40 square feet. Nevertheless, I felt quite triumphant because so far my mopping activity did not seem to further damage my PF. I have not been doing this type of thing at all, recently, because until yesterday I wouldn't have 'gotten away with it'.

Up until now I have been resting my feet almost totally, even though I've been so tempted to do more. As an example of how much I've been resting, my washer/dryer is in the kitchen but the clean clothes haven't gotten past the living room, where the laundry basket sits by the sofa just a few feet from the kitchen. To spare my feet I haven't tried to carry them back to the bedroom area and put them away. Instead, I dress in the living room, for now. But now I am feeling so improved that gradually I am starting to do the little things (like putting away my laundry) that make my life more normal. It will be wonderful when eventually I am no longer living in PF chaos.

Carole

Carole C on 12/18/01 at 12:59 (067331)

looks like you've got all the important things covered... I know you know the following, too:

14. Never stand or walk barefoot, even for one step
15. gentle massage
16. Elevation

Carole

Julie on 12/19/01 at 01:42 (067381)

Hi Rebecca

I'm impressed! This sounds like an excellent plan, a good balance of the practical and the spiritual. Give number 9 extra attention - say to yourself 9 times every day 'It's my turn to practice the generosity of receiving'.

Lots and lots of 8.

Maybe don't insist on 10 too much. PF is a bugger (as we say here) and it's ok to be negative about it and cry when you feel like it.

With this comprehensive healing plan in place you can't fail to heal.

And you will.

rebecca h on 12/19/01 at 11:49 (067400)

Thanks Julie,

I was glad when I saw your answer. I know you know alot about all this foot stuff from your well-thought-out answers to everyone. I was wondering how long you had PF and is it better now?

rebecca

Julie on 12/19/01 at 16:13 (067415)

Hi Rebecca

I'm glad my answer made you glad. All I know about 'foot stuff' specifically is from my own experience of PF, but I have a basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology because I've taught yoga and trained yoga teachers for some years. I know something about exercise and have always had a personal as well as a professional interest in it. I try to pass that on as appropriate on the board.

Here's my PF story. It came on suddenly and painfully in August 2000, triggered by a minor back injury, which was the final straw - on top of my flat pronated feet, and my age (65 at the time). I found heelspurs.com almost immediately and self-diagnosed it; the podiatrist I saw agreed, and helped me get started on a treatment plan. By January 2001 I was 95% better, and have been ok since then. Those five months seemed like a long time at the time, but I know it was nothing compared to what others have experienced. I feel sure that the fact that I started dealing with it quickly was a, if not the, major factor in my relatively quick and straightforward healing. I find it heartbreaking that so many people wait so long to address it because they simply don't know about it, and my Christmas wish is that everyone who is stricken with it is led by magic to this website, which has helped so many people.

Rest, taping, heelspurs.com, custom orthotics, Birkenstocks, and my yoga foot exercises were the mainstays of my treatment. And learning some patience.

I'm fine now, and have been for a year, but I've accepted that once you've had PF you need to be vigilant: it does recur, as we know. I think of my insertion point as a 'weak spot' that will always need me to be attentive to whatever it tells me, so I am. I don't go barefoot, I always wear my Targas with my orthotics (outdoors) or my Birks (indoors) and I keep the tape handy just in case. The occasional twinges that I get are useful reminders of the need to stay alert. I would rather think of myself as 'in remission' than as 'cured'. It seems safer!

You've made a really good start, and I am sure that you will be all right. Be patient and hopeful, and get all the help you can with the chores that don't absolutely require your personal attention. I know it seems now as though PF will never end - but it will!

Re: Julie

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 16:56 (067417)

Wow! What a neat surprise. I had imagined you as 38-40, Julie, not someone over 65. You are a delightful and mentally energetic person. I'm 53 so I'm getting to the age where I'm pleasantly surprised when anybody is older than me, these days.

If/when I go 'into remission', I hope I can put these huge unisex SAS shoes in the back of the closet, temporarily, and put my orthotics in some other high quality tie-up shoes that are of a more normal size. I prefer to look like I am wearing shoes rather than wearing the boxes the shoes came in! (just joking) However the SAS shoes do seem to be wonderfully protective of my feet and helpful during healing. I truly feel my feet are beginning to improve each day, something that I didn't feel was the case before the orthotic-inside-SAS-shoe combination.

Alternately, maybe when I'm in remission I will get some of the high-arch Tatami Birkenstocks fitted to me at a Birkenstock store, and wear those. I got to the point where I sort of like the way my Birks look, after wearing them a while. They just don't help me as much as the custom orthotics.

I really hope that at some point I am able to take a normal, standing shower again, though! Meanwhile, the shower stool has been one of the most helpful aspects of my regimen. I would also like to be able to go to the grocery store and Walmart on the same day, and then being able to walk around the mall the next day. I am not really a shopping addict, but I enjoy being able to walk about that much and it made me feel very proud for the few months when I could.

It took me a month to find heelspurs.com, and another month before I was diagnosed and got my orthotics, but I am hoping to find my way out of this labyrinth as quickly as possible too.

Carole

Julie on 12/20/01 at 02:24 (067448)

Hi Carole

Thank you for the lovely compliment. Well, they say you're as old as you feel and I guess I'm still waiting to grow up. No, seriously: it surprises me too that I've gotten to be so old. I certainly don't feel it - yet. I spend much of my time with my students, who are mostly very much younger than me; my husband, who is older, has been telling me for the past 40 years that I'll always be 'the youngest'. I suppose that's a good age-forgetting combination.

Enough about me. Here are some predictions for you.

You WILL have a Real Shower again.

You WILL go to Walmart and the grocery store on the same day.

You WILL walk around the mall the next day. Or maybe even the same day.

You WILL be able to wear shoes that don't look more like the boxes they came in (I loved this!)

Try to believe it, and look forward to it. And enjoy every little bit of improvement along the way.

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 05:45 (067451)

Wow!!!!!! Oh good, I sure hope you are right! My idea of a perfect day would be to take a real shower and walk through WalMart and Circuit City or other equally large establishments.

I am enjoying the improvement so far. Yesterday we were allowed to go home early, at 2 PM. After arriving at home I took out several bags of trash, and actually managed to mop the kitchen floor! Now bear in mind, this is the small floor of the kitchen in my apartment, only perhaps 30-40 square feet. Nevertheless, I felt quite triumphant because so far my mopping activity did not seem to further damage my PF. I have not been doing this type of thing at all, recently, because until yesterday I wouldn't have 'gotten away with it'.

Up until now I have been resting my feet almost totally, even though I've been so tempted to do more. As an example of how much I've been resting, my washer/dryer is in the kitchen but the clean clothes haven't gotten past the living room, where the laundry basket sits by the sofa just a few feet from the kitchen. To spare my feet I haven't tried to carry them back to the bedroom area and put them away. Instead, I dress in the living room, for now. But now I am feeling so improved that gradually I am starting to do the little things (like putting away my laundry) that make my life more normal. It will be wonderful when eventually I am no longer living in PF chaos.

Carole