Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rebecca-Calf stretches

Posted by Carmen H on 12/18/01 at 15:06 (067336)

Hi there! That post below was getting a bit mixed up so I just directed a new one to you....
As far as the calf stretches are concerned that was a MAJOR problem for me and my feet. I have been stretching them daily and nightly and I think that contributes to my success in feeling better. Not the whole story but some of it. I have a Step n Stretch I bought off the internet but Scott offers something similar here. I HIGHLY recommend it for calf tightness and hamstring tightness too. You wouldn't believe the difference after using it.
Scott's is called the Pro Stretch.
Also one thing I do is to put my toes on a ledge or wall and the heel stays on the floor and lean gently forward. This feels really good and I do it while I am out and don't have my step n stretch. I have also really worked the hamstring stretches and that has helped tremendously as well with loosening everything in the lower extremities. Also putting my toes on a stair and gently (KEY word here GENTLY) drop my heel down so I feel a slight stretch in the calf. This one you have to be careful with I have read some people have done damage with it and I think that depends on the severity of your case too.
with all the exercises I have been doing (stretching of course no real exercise with these feet of mine)I have increased flexibility and stopped using the towel stretch under the foot and started using my hand. I have more control on the pull of the stretch when I use my own hand to pull my toes up. I hope this helps some...Good luck.

Re: Carmen

rebecca h on 12/19/01 at 11:46 (067398)

Carmen,

Thank you for your message. I think I have been way to aggressive with my stretching-especially the stand on the stairs and the wall stretch. I thought if a little was good alot must be better. But I'm learning now that gentleness is good for PF. I like the hand stretch you mentioned.

You seem like a really caring and intelligent person--very helpful and concerned for people on these boards. Also sounds like you have really been through alot with your health. Hope you are improving and getting answers.

rebecca

Re: Rebecca

Carmen H on 12/19/01 at 11:50 (067401)

Thank you for yoru compliments and your well wishes. I always tell my husband if there was a way to make money by just giving comfort and advice I would want that job! I used to volunteer and do it for free for Aids patients but I have to help support our family and do my part and although volunteering fills the spirit it doesn't fill the wallet. I know that what you give out comes back to you if you give sincerely and I know some day when we are financially more stable I will be able to get back to the volunteer work again.
I vertainly hope you as well find some relief....I am definitely feeling better. I can't explain it (maybe it's the combination of NST treatments, stretching, natural anti inflammatories, and just listening to my body) but I am at a 2 pain lever 90% of the time.
Hopefully...just getting bettter by the say. :-)
Well wishes to you too Rebecca....I'm happy to help!

Re: Carmen

rebecca h on 12/19/01 at 11:46 (067398)

Carmen,

Thank you for your message. I think I have been way to aggressive with my stretching-especially the stand on the stairs and the wall stretch. I thought if a little was good alot must be better. But I'm learning now that gentleness is good for PF. I like the hand stretch you mentioned.

You seem like a really caring and intelligent person--very helpful and concerned for people on these boards. Also sounds like you have really been through alot with your health. Hope you are improving and getting answers.

rebecca

Re: Rebecca

Carmen H on 12/19/01 at 11:50 (067401)

Thank you for yoru compliments and your well wishes. I always tell my husband if there was a way to make money by just giving comfort and advice I would want that job! I used to volunteer and do it for free for Aids patients but I have to help support our family and do my part and although volunteering fills the spirit it doesn't fill the wallet. I know that what you give out comes back to you if you give sincerely and I know some day when we are financially more stable I will be able to get back to the volunteer work again.
I vertainly hope you as well find some relief....I am definitely feeling better. I can't explain it (maybe it's the combination of NST treatments, stretching, natural anti inflammatories, and just listening to my body) but I am at a 2 pain lever 90% of the time.
Hopefully...just getting bettter by the say. :-)
Well wishes to you too Rebecca....I'm happy to help!