Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur removal,tarsal tunnel surgery,plantar fascia release

Posted by Linda on 12/19/01 at 08:57 (067389)

I had surgery on December 14, and my foot still has a little pain, but feels so much better. I had pain 24 hours a day. What i was wondering is how much physical therapy is involved, and will the numbness in my foot go away,or will it always be numb? I am glad i went thru with it, but i know it's too early to get too excited.

Re: Heel spur removal,tarsal tunnel surgery,plantar fascia release

DW on 12/19/01 at 09:22 (067391)

My surgery was on December 10th, and I'm amazed at how fast things seem to be healing. I can balance myself by putting my whole foot down, even the heel, but can't actually put weight on it yet. I'm doing some GENTLE stretching each day by pulling my toes up. I'm not even having any pain in the suture area anymore at night when I go to bed, and I've been off the pain meds for almost a week. My toes and the top of my foot were numb after surgery, but that went away in just a few days. I did not have numbness before the surgery,tho, just 'spidering' and jolts. I still get the 'spidering' at night when I'm in bed, but it seems to be subsiding a little more each night, too. I get the stitches out in 2 more weeks and can go back to work then. I hope to be in the walking-cam with maybe just one crutch by then, but I don't want to rush things. I'm so pleased with how things are going, I refuse to do anything that may mess it up.

I haven't heard anything about PT yet, so I'll be interested to see what others say. Good luck on your healing....isn't this a lovely time to be stuck in the house? I'm not real broken up about missing the hectic crowds, but I sure wish I could've gotten all the holiday shopping done beforehand. My husband, God love'em, looks a little more shell-shocked each day at what ELSE I put on his *to-do-please list*. :)
Dona

Re: Don't go back too soon !

BrianG on 12/19/01 at 19:45 (067428)

Hi Dona,

I forgot if you ever mentioned what you did for work? Going back within a month might be OK, if you have a job where you mostly sit. If not, be honest with your doc, and take your time. This is a very critical time of your healing, don't push it. Just because someone says that you 'should' be able to go back to work, doesn't mean it's right for you. 'Listen' to your feet, they will tell you if your ready for work. There are a whole bunch of us here that went back too early, could be why we're still here! Good luck

BCG

PS I'm glad I don't have your 'honey do' list. Mine is bad enough :*)

Damon on 12/19/01 at 22:43 (067439)

Hello, please listen to those of us who pushed it too much. Don't start walking on it too soon.
I just had my second foot done and since I have not been as eager to get back on it like I was with the first I feel like it is healing faster..

Re: Brian and Damon.....AND another question

DW on 12/20/01 at 08:39 (067458)

Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to take it easy, and stayed completely off my feet for the first week. I put no weight on it even for the second week. I'm thinking next week I might try a little weight, but I'll still be relying mostly on the crutches. Even this week, I can tell when I've been up too long and need to get back to the chair to elevate and ice, which I do. It's difficult with the holiday prep to stay down as much as I probably should, but I'm doing better than I usually do when told to 'stay put.' Having 10 yr old and 15 yr old go-fers helps quite a bit too. :) I work in a special ed preschool and can have my students brought to my area, so I won't be walking much at all when I go back, and I have a great bunch of co-workers who will make sure I stay off my feet as I should.
Now, for the question: how long before you could drive again? I'm not in any hurry for these first 2.5 weeks, but I'm going to have to make arrangements if I still can't drive by January 2nd. It's my right foot that had surgery, but I was driving with my left even before then due to pain. I just draped my right leg over the console to keep it out of the way. How long does one usually go before they are able to start driving again? And I will be careful about this too...I promise. :)
Dona

BrianG on 12/20/01 at 16:13 (067498)

Hi Dona,

If you have an automatic, it should be easier than driving a standard shift. Do you have a padded, removable boot cast? If so, I think you'll find you can drive pretty easily with it. I also use a piece of pretty dense foam on the floor of my vehicle. I use the cruise control as often as I can, getting my heel off the floor of the truck. I kind of pull the right foot back from the accelerator and try to find a comfertable spot to rest it. Again, try driving and see how it feels. If your in too much pain, it's time to back off some. I had to sell my vehicle with a standard transmission for an automatic 1.5 years ago, the stick was just too painful to drive. I think the boot cast allowed me to get behind the wheel quicker after my surgery, than if I didn't have one. Everyone is different, let your foot tell you how it's feeling. Good luck

BCG

Tammie on 12/20/01 at 20:50 (067532)

They are so right , take your time with the healing dont rush back as u will find it may be to much to quick and find yourself in a set back! I am only offering this advice from my own expierance! Sometimes we tend to try and be super woman , supermom, superworker, superwife, just super everything. Our poor feet are the ones to suffer,we tend to think we can do everything often finding out that we should have just been a bit more patient.

You have gone thru alot with surgery and now u need to give the proper amount of time for healing whatever your feet need, they will let you know if you choose to hear them talk to u heheh! Please dont choose to have a deaf ear,as you may have a much longer and harder recovery ! Pre schoolers sound like a lot of foot work but I am unsure of really what u are expected to do, so be sure to talk with your dr.

I drove pretty quickly but I had on the walking boot thing, it was not a problem but then it was my left foot so couldnt really tell u , I would say again ask your dr. see what they think.

Good luck and keep the faith and post and let us keep up with your progress! Patience that is your big Key!

Linda C on 12/25/01 at 15:55 (067790)

Well, it's been 11 days since i had my surgery, and i am still numb. I tripped on water in my bathroom,and came down on my toes of my foot i had surgery in.............and now i have a huge bruise on the bottom of my foot,right at the arch. Thankfully i didn't mess up my stitches. I get them out friday. gosh, i am so sick of taking showers with a bag on my foot. It is so nice to have someone waiting on me for a change. I think my husband is realizing how much i really do around my house. I am getting sick of staying in.........cabin fever is killing me. I can't wait to go to the doctor friday to see what my next step in healing is.
gosh, I haven't gone the gym in a month and it is making me so moody. I miss working out. If it wasn't my right foot, i probably would go and do weighlifting...etc, but unfortunately it's my right foot..........ugh!!!!!!!!!!!
Will I ever be able to do Kickboxing again??? :o(
Well, time to go down stairs. (on my butt, of course)
Linda

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 09:14 (067881)

Ouch!! It had to be the same fooot, right! I had surgery a couple years ago, but it was PF release only. Since you also had the TTS, I would think that is why your foot is still numb. When it comes to nerves, it could probably be a lot worse, like if you had unrelenting nerve pain, like others here. Please let us know what your doctor has to say about it. Did he cut the nerve? Good luck tomorrow, and remember, your cabin fever will pay off big time in the long run. Your doing the right thing by staying off your feet.

BCG

Linda C. on 12/28/01 at 10:16 (067976)

well , i went to the doctor today. I got my stitches out,and he told me i had tarsal tunnel in the main nerves in my foot,as well as nerve entrapment under my heel spur. He said i should get most of the feeling back, but there was one nerve that was destroyed which i will never get feeling back. At least i won't have pain in that spot. He said i am doing really well, and told me i have to use the crutches 2 more weeks,and he wants me to start trying to put pressure when it feels ok to do so. i feel so much better. It is so great to be pain free. He also told me i can't go back to my vigorous exercise for another 6 weeks or more.
That is the only part that stinks. I guess i won't be snowboarding anytime soon. (gee, i wonder if that includes sledding???) (lol)
I also told him that a few times in my sleep, i wake up with pain shooting down to my toes. he told me that is common in nerve repair. he said it will happen for a while, but will totally go away.
all in all, i am still happy that i got my surgery.

Linda

BrianG on 12/28/01 at 12:03 (067988)

Hi Linda,

It sounds like cutting the nerve was a blessing in disguise. I would think you'll get used to the numb feeling soon, and it shouldn't be much of a problem. There are probably a lot of us that would rather be numb, than in pain. Good luck, and keep on healing.

BCG

PS No winter sports this year!! :*)

Donna W. on 12/28/01 at 21:08 (068032)

Hi Guys,
I just found this site and it is so interesting!I had heel spur surgery and Plantar fascia release on april 6,2000 on my right foot and again on june 22,2000 on my left foot.My surgery was a insision about 4in. long on the side of my heels.The surgery was the best thing i could have ever done..nothing else worked.I work on my feet 8 hrs a day on a wood floor in a warehouse,believe me I did NOT rush the process,I did not return to work till sept.19,2000,(thank God for L.T.D. insurance)till I felt I was ready and my doctor was behind me all the way..he was great!Even after i went back to work my left foot still hurt some but it was not the same pain,it was a healing pain.Now it has been a total of 20 mos. since the first one and the results are incredible,I credit alot of that to not rushing things.I stayed on crutches not bearing any wieght at all for 5 wks,then 'walking' with crutches and my 'wooden shoe' for two more weeks.At 7 wks. doc had me put my shoe on and begin putting full wieght on it and walking.I am not going to say all foot pain is gone,i would be lying if i did,but it is not the same pain,it is a 'my feet are tired hurt'.Well i have talked long enough,hope everyone has good results.
Happy New Year!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 01:02 (068049)

Donna, thanks for posting your encouraging story. It's good to hear a surgery success story for a change, and I'm sure what you've shared will give others hope. It's wonderful that you've been able to return to your job, and I know you're right to credit your progress to not rushing things. Very good advice!

Congratulations, and I hope your almost-pain-free state continues.

Linda C. on 12/30/01 at 10:44 (068131)

I have a little pain now that i started walking on my toes. I am not putting full pressure, but just enough to put my toes on the ground. I don't know how the doctor thinks i will be off crutches in 2 weeks. Maybe i will be, but right now i don't think so. I put weight on my heel for one second, and thought i was going to die!~ Oh well, hopefully i will be off crutches in 2 weeks. The good side of crutches is i don't have to shave my armpits. (ouch!, the chaffing kills)
I'll keep you guys updated. I just have this fear of ever walking on my heel again. I don't want pain, and i am just hoping i don't have any when the time comes to walk normal again.

DW on 12/30/01 at 18:00 (068145)

Hi Linda! Glad to hear things are going fairly well for you too. I was also worried about putting weight on my heel. I couldn't even get the walking-cam on coz it hurt to stretch out the foot enough to get the heel in where it should be. It does, however, get a little better each and every day. I got the cam on comfortably 4 days ago and can actually put a little more weight on my foot each day. I can put my foot down on the floor when I sit without pain in the heel now. I can hobble pretty good thru the kitchen and to the bathroom with just one crutch, but if I go out or will be on my feet for any length of time, I go right back to two crutches. I have to take the cam off and ice/elevate several times each day, as I'm still having swelling in the entire foot (poor venous return, Dr. Z mentioned) and the sutures start feeling stretched and pulled. The swelling doesn't come from walking on it, but from just having it NOT elevated. That should improve, I've been told. I'm really pleased with how things are progressing, even though it seems slow to my husband. :) My ankle is the sorest part of the foot right now. It feels locked up and VERY sore when I don't have the cam-walker on. BUT...it's definitely a little better each day, and I'm taking things nice and slow. I'm just so happy to be without most of the pain. You seem to be about a week behind me, so next week things should be looking even better for you! Good luck!
Dona

Linda C. on 12/31/01 at 07:27 (068189)

Dona,
Your news is encouraging. My foot still has swelling, also.
The doc told me to elevate it as much as possible. That's easy to say when you are not home all day with 2 kids fighting. My husband has been great, though. He told me he'll always appreciate stay at home moms. He works about 60 hours a week, and then comes home to cook,clean...etc.
thank you for your encouragement. It gives me a little more confidence.
Linda

DW on 12/19/01 at 09:22 (067391)

My surgery was on December 10th, and I'm amazed at how fast things seem to be healing. I can balance myself by putting my whole foot down, even the heel, but can't actually put weight on it yet. I'm doing some GENTLE stretching each day by pulling my toes up. I'm not even having any pain in the suture area anymore at night when I go to bed, and I've been off the pain meds for almost a week. My toes and the top of my foot were numb after surgery, but that went away in just a few days. I did not have numbness before the surgery,tho, just 'spidering' and jolts. I still get the 'spidering' at night when I'm in bed, but it seems to be subsiding a little more each night, too. I get the stitches out in 2 more weeks and can go back to work then. I hope to be in the walking-cam with maybe just one crutch by then, but I don't want to rush things. I'm so pleased with how things are going, I refuse to do anything that may mess it up.

I haven't heard anything about PT yet, so I'll be interested to see what others say. Good luck on your healing....isn't this a lovely time to be stuck in the house? I'm not real broken up about missing the hectic crowds, but I sure wish I could've gotten all the holiday shopping done beforehand. My husband, God love'em, looks a little more shell-shocked each day at what ELSE I put on his *to-do-please list*. :)
Dona

BrianG on 12/19/01 at 19:45 (067428)

Hi Dona,

I forgot if you ever mentioned what you did for work? Going back within a month might be OK, if you have a job where you mostly sit. If not, be honest with your doc, and take your time. This is a very critical time of your healing, don't push it. Just because someone says that you 'should' be able to go back to work, doesn't mean it's right for you. 'Listen' to your feet, they will tell you if your ready for work. There are a whole bunch of us here that went back too early, could be why we're still here! Good luck

BCG

PS I'm glad I don't have your 'honey do' list. Mine is bad enough :*)

Damon on 12/19/01 at 22:43 (067439)

Hello, please listen to those of us who pushed it too much. Don't start walking on it too soon.
I just had my second foot done and since I have not been as eager to get back on it like I was with the first I feel like it is healing faster..

DW on 12/20/01 at 08:39 (067458)

Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to take it easy, and stayed completely off my feet for the first week. I put no weight on it even for the second week. I'm thinking next week I might try a little weight, but I'll still be relying mostly on the crutches. Even this week, I can tell when I've been up too long and need to get back to the chair to elevate and ice, which I do. It's difficult with the holiday prep to stay down as much as I probably should, but I'm doing better than I usually do when told to 'stay put.' Having 10 yr old and 15 yr old go-fers helps quite a bit too. :) I work in a special ed preschool and can have my students brought to my area, so I won't be walking much at all when I go back, and I have a great bunch of co-workers who will make sure I stay off my feet as I should.
Now, for the question: how long before you could drive again? I'm not in any hurry for these first 2.5 weeks, but I'm going to have to make arrangements if I still can't drive by January 2nd. It's my right foot that had surgery, but I was driving with my left even before then due to pain. I just draped my right leg over the console to keep it out of the way. How long does one usually go before they are able to start driving again? And I will be careful about this too...I promise. :)
Dona

BrianG on 12/20/01 at 16:13 (067498)

Hi Dona,

If you have an automatic, it should be easier than driving a standard shift. Do you have a padded, removable boot cast? If so, I think you'll find you can drive pretty easily with it. I also use a piece of pretty dense foam on the floor of my vehicle. I use the cruise control as often as I can, getting my heel off the floor of the truck. I kind of pull the right foot back from the accelerator and try to find a comfertable spot to rest it. Again, try driving and see how it feels. If your in too much pain, it's time to back off some. I had to sell my vehicle with a standard transmission for an automatic 1.5 years ago, the stick was just too painful to drive. I think the boot cast allowed me to get behind the wheel quicker after my surgery, than if I didn't have one. Everyone is different, let your foot tell you how it's feeling. Good luck

BCG

Tammie on 12/20/01 at 20:50 (067532)

They are so right , take your time with the healing dont rush back as u will find it may be to much to quick and find yourself in a set back! I am only offering this advice from my own expierance! Sometimes we tend to try and be super woman , supermom, superworker, superwife, just super everything. Our poor feet are the ones to suffer,we tend to think we can do everything often finding out that we should have just been a bit more patient.

You have gone thru alot with surgery and now u need to give the proper amount of time for healing whatever your feet need, they will let you know if you choose to hear them talk to u heheh! Please dont choose to have a deaf ear,as you may have a much longer and harder recovery ! Pre schoolers sound like a lot of foot work but I am unsure of really what u are expected to do, so be sure to talk with your dr.

I drove pretty quickly but I had on the walking boot thing, it was not a problem but then it was my left foot so couldnt really tell u , I would say again ask your dr. see what they think.

Good luck and keep the faith and post and let us keep up with your progress! Patience that is your big Key!

Linda C on 12/25/01 at 15:55 (067790)

Well, it's been 11 days since i had my surgery, and i am still numb. I tripped on water in my bathroom,and came down on my toes of my foot i had surgery in.............and now i have a huge bruise on the bottom of my foot,right at the arch. Thankfully i didn't mess up my stitches. I get them out friday. gosh, i am so sick of taking showers with a bag on my foot. It is so nice to have someone waiting on me for a change. I think my husband is realizing how much i really do around my house. I am getting sick of staying in.........cabin fever is killing me. I can't wait to go to the doctor friday to see what my next step in healing is.
gosh, I haven't gone the gym in a month and it is making me so moody. I miss working out. If it wasn't my right foot, i probably would go and do weighlifting...etc, but unfortunately it's my right foot..........ugh!!!!!!!!!!!
Will I ever be able to do Kickboxing again??? :o(
Well, time to go down stairs. (on my butt, of course)
Linda

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 09:14 (067881)

Ouch!! It had to be the same fooot, right! I had surgery a couple years ago, but it was PF release only. Since you also had the TTS, I would think that is why your foot is still numb. When it comes to nerves, it could probably be a lot worse, like if you had unrelenting nerve pain, like others here. Please let us know what your doctor has to say about it. Did he cut the nerve? Good luck tomorrow, and remember, your cabin fever will pay off big time in the long run. Your doing the right thing by staying off your feet.

BCG

Linda C. on 12/28/01 at 10:16 (067976)

well , i went to the doctor today. I got my stitches out,and he told me i had tarsal tunnel in the main nerves in my foot,as well as nerve entrapment under my heel spur. He said i should get most of the feeling back, but there was one nerve that was destroyed which i will never get feeling back. At least i won't have pain in that spot. He said i am doing really well, and told me i have to use the crutches 2 more weeks,and he wants me to start trying to put pressure when it feels ok to do so. i feel so much better. It is so great to be pain free. He also told me i can't go back to my vigorous exercise for another 6 weeks or more.
That is the only part that stinks. I guess i won't be snowboarding anytime soon. (gee, i wonder if that includes sledding???) (lol)
I also told him that a few times in my sleep, i wake up with pain shooting down to my toes. he told me that is common in nerve repair. he said it will happen for a while, but will totally go away.
all in all, i am still happy that i got my surgery.

Linda

BrianG on 12/28/01 at 12:03 (067988)

Hi Linda,

It sounds like cutting the nerve was a blessing in disguise. I would think you'll get used to the numb feeling soon, and it shouldn't be much of a problem. There are probably a lot of us that would rather be numb, than in pain. Good luck, and keep on healing.

BCG

PS No winter sports this year!! :*)

Donna W. on 12/28/01 at 21:08 (068032)

Hi Guys,
I just found this site and it is so interesting!I had heel spur surgery and Plantar fascia release on april 6,2000 on my right foot and again on june 22,2000 on my left foot.My surgery was a insision about 4in. long on the side of my heels.The surgery was the best thing i could have ever done..nothing else worked.I work on my feet 8 hrs a day on a wood floor in a warehouse,believe me I did NOT rush the process,I did not return to work till sept.19,2000,(thank God for L.T.D. insurance)till I felt I was ready and my doctor was behind me all the way..he was great!Even after i went back to work my left foot still hurt some but it was not the same pain,it was a healing pain.Now it has been a total of 20 mos. since the first one and the results are incredible,I credit alot of that to not rushing things.I stayed on crutches not bearing any wieght at all for 5 wks,then 'walking' with crutches and my 'wooden shoe' for two more weeks.At 7 wks. doc had me put my shoe on and begin putting full wieght on it and walking.I am not going to say all foot pain is gone,i would be lying if i did,but it is not the same pain,it is a 'my feet are tired hurt'.Well i have talked long enough,hope everyone has good results.
Happy New Year!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 01:02 (068049)

Donna, thanks for posting your encouraging story. It's good to hear a surgery success story for a change, and I'm sure what you've shared will give others hope. It's wonderful that you've been able to return to your job, and I know you're right to credit your progress to not rushing things. Very good advice!

Congratulations, and I hope your almost-pain-free state continues.

Linda C. on 12/30/01 at 10:44 (068131)

I have a little pain now that i started walking on my toes. I am not putting full pressure, but just enough to put my toes on the ground. I don't know how the doctor thinks i will be off crutches in 2 weeks. Maybe i will be, but right now i don't think so. I put weight on my heel for one second, and thought i was going to die!~ Oh well, hopefully i will be off crutches in 2 weeks. The good side of crutches is i don't have to shave my armpits. (ouch!, the chaffing kills)
I'll keep you guys updated. I just have this fear of ever walking on my heel again. I don't want pain, and i am just hoping i don't have any when the time comes to walk normal again.

DW on 12/30/01 at 18:00 (068145)

Hi Linda! Glad to hear things are going fairly well for you too. I was also worried about putting weight on my heel. I couldn't even get the walking-cam on coz it hurt to stretch out the foot enough to get the heel in where it should be. It does, however, get a little better each and every day. I got the cam on comfortably 4 days ago and can actually put a little more weight on my foot each day. I can put my foot down on the floor when I sit without pain in the heel now. I can hobble pretty good thru the kitchen and to the bathroom with just one crutch, but if I go out or will be on my feet for any length of time, I go right back to two crutches. I have to take the cam off and ice/elevate several times each day, as I'm still having swelling in the entire foot (poor venous return, Dr. Z mentioned) and the sutures start feeling stretched and pulled. The swelling doesn't come from walking on it, but from just having it NOT elevated. That should improve, I've been told. I'm really pleased with how things are progressing, even though it seems slow to my husband. :) My ankle is the sorest part of the foot right now. It feels locked up and VERY sore when I don't have the cam-walker on. BUT...it's definitely a little better each day, and I'm taking things nice and slow. I'm just so happy to be without most of the pain. You seem to be about a week behind me, so next week things should be looking even better for you! Good luck!
Dona

Linda C. on 12/31/01 at 07:27 (068189)

Dona,
Your news is encouraging. My foot still has swelling, also.
The doc told me to elevate it as much as possible. That's easy to say when you are not home all day with 2 kids fighting. My husband has been great, though. He told me he'll always appreciate stay at home moms. He works about 60 hours a week, and then comes home to cook,clean...etc.
thank you for your encouragement. It gives me a little more confidence.
Linda