Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

john h --- orththotic and birkenstock experience

Posted by rebecca h on 12/19/01 at 11:37 (067397)

John,

on another thread you had mentioned your experience with othotics and then birkenstocks... Would you mind going into a little more detail? I'm frustrated with my orthotics so far and still determined to work with the podiatrist to get them right but I keep looking longingly at these Arizonas I bought and wondering if they will be the answer for my feet.

How long did it take you to get used to your Arizonas? Did they make your feet and legs sore at first?

Also how are your feet now? Would you say you are cured or is it something that you still deal with?

Thanks!
rebecca

Re: john h --- orththotic and birkenstock experience

Necee on 12/20/01 at 00:30 (067445)

Hi Rebecca,
I hope you don't mind me butting in here. I've got to tell you my experience with Birks.
I was diagnosed with a heelspur back in March, as things gradually got worse I decided to try Birks since all other treatments failed. Well I bought my first pair in July, and I must tell you if it were not for these shoes I probably wouldn't be walking at all. The moment I first tried them on I could feel the difference. I literally limped into the shoe store and walked out in my new Birks with no limp whatsoever.
I wore mine for about 2 hrs that first day simply because they felt so good. The next day I wore them for about 30 min and the same amount thereafter for about 5 days. I was told by the saleslady that it would take about a month for the shoes to get broke in good. They never made my feet or legs sore at all. I must admit that my pain hasn't left completely, but it's so much better than it was. My job requires me to be on my feet about 8 hrs a day, so I know without a doubt that if I didn't wear these shoes I wouldn't be working at all.
Please keep in mind that we all have different situations with our feet, but as for me, Birks were the answer.
My cousin had foot surgery over 2 years ago, she suffers to this day with her feet, saying all the time that she wished she had never had surgery. Well I talked her into buying a pair of Birks. Today she was able to work a full day without much pain.
So thats my testimony, I do hope that you can find what works best for you and I do wish you all the best with whatever you decide.
Happy Trails....
Necee

john h on 12/20/01 at 09:44 (067464)

Rebecca: I had my Airizona birks for nearly a year and during that time I would wear them for a few days and they would hurt and then I would wait a month and do the same thing. There came a time when I just decided to try them for a month. Before the month was over I had become accustomed to them and think for me they have been one of the most efftive ways to treat my PF. They would almost qualify as an orthotic in that the foot bed has very good arch support and the sole is very stiff. For what ever reason I think the Airizona is very popular in that it does not restrict your foot as a shoe with laces (opinion only). The Airizona also functions as a good bedroom shoe, pool shoe, and I even mow the yard in them on occasion (not very safe for that). It takes a while to get used to them so be patient. Today I am operating at a pain level of one (1).

Necee on 12/20/01 at 00:30 (067445)

Hi Rebecca,
I hope you don't mind me butting in here. I've got to tell you my experience with Birks.
I was diagnosed with a heelspur back in March, as things gradually got worse I decided to try Birks since all other treatments failed. Well I bought my first pair in July, and I must tell you if it were not for these shoes I probably wouldn't be walking at all. The moment I first tried them on I could feel the difference. I literally limped into the shoe store and walked out in my new Birks with no limp whatsoever.
I wore mine for about 2 hrs that first day simply because they felt so good. The next day I wore them for about 30 min and the same amount thereafter for about 5 days. I was told by the saleslady that it would take about a month for the shoes to get broke in good. They never made my feet or legs sore at all. I must admit that my pain hasn't left completely, but it's so much better than it was. My job requires me to be on my feet about 8 hrs a day, so I know without a doubt that if I didn't wear these shoes I wouldn't be working at all.
Please keep in mind that we all have different situations with our feet, but as for me, Birks were the answer.
My cousin had foot surgery over 2 years ago, she suffers to this day with her feet, saying all the time that she wished she had never had surgery. Well I talked her into buying a pair of Birks. Today she was able to work a full day without much pain.
So thats my testimony, I do hope that you can find what works best for you and I do wish you all the best with whatever you decide.
Happy Trails....
Necee

john h on 12/20/01 at 09:44 (067464)

Rebecca: I had my Airizona birks for nearly a year and during that time I would wear them for a few days and they would hurt and then I would wait a month and do the same thing. There came a time when I just decided to try them for a month. Before the month was over I had become accustomed to them and think for me they have been one of the most efftive ways to treat my PF. They would almost qualify as an orthotic in that the foot bed has very good arch support and the sole is very stiff. For what ever reason I think the Airizona is very popular in that it does not restrict your foot as a shoe with laces (opinion only). The Airizona also functions as a good bedroom shoe, pool shoe, and I even mow the yard in them on occasion (not very safe for that). It takes a while to get used to them so be patient. Today I am operating at a pain level of one (1).