Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New orthotics

Posted by Nicole K. on 12/19/01 at 19:34 (067426)

Well, so I got some new orthotics last week. Sorry, Bill D, I have not had the chance to e-mail you back as I am only just back online today and have been very busy. I had some serious transition probs. with @home. So, last week I had two appointments. One of which was to meet with Dr. Shapow here in LA, who does ESWT. The second was to get my new orthotics. So, I got my new orthotics from someone who specializes in making them. Apparently they have only given me the 'skeleton' of it. It's hard material, I think plastic. I guess I'm supposed to be wearing these all the time, but they aren't very comfortable. I guess I was expecting more. .. I was hopeful because the doc. had taped up my foot so I didn't feel any pain for a few days. I've had my foot taped before, but I alwasy had pain. When he taped it and I felt no pain, he put some adhesive padding on the top part of my foot. I was so excited I called him to tell him I felt no pain! This to me, was like a light at the end of the tunnel. Five years of this crap! ick. Well, anyways, I have been working very hard, on my feet, so *maybe* they'll give me improvement when I get to rest. I've since also had my other foot flare up, which I've never had happen. They also did some x-rays, and I have a small spur in the other foot. My already bad foot, my doc told me that I have one of the biggest spurs he's seen, and I definitely have the biggest spur he's seen for my someone my size (petite). Well, I've worked very hard at it, you know. Oh, sorry, that's my sarcasm coming through. Anyways, I'm not as thrilled as I thought I was going to be with the new orthotics.

So, on to the ESWT appt. I get there, have to deal with this major traffic jam in the parking lot because they are in the same parking structure as a hospital. I'm all roadraged and pissed off and I get to the office and the Dr. Shapow isn't even there! I knew something was up when I gave the people in front my name and they asked me who booked my appt. So 2 min. later the woman comes out and says she tried reaching him on his cell phone and couldn't and that he went out for an emergency meeting and has his cell phone off. Yeah, right! An emergency golf game is probably more like it. So, she says we can reschedule and I proceed to say there's no way I'm coming back. I can't believe they didn't even call me to cancel or anything! If I'm going to spend $2000 for something I want a doctor who's actually going to show up for appointments! ! :(

Anyways, thanks for letting me rant. I'll let you know if I have any improvement from the new orthotics.

Re: temperamental foot guru's

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 20:23 (067430)

Well I guess it is POSSIBLE that he had a genuine emergency to attend to. Is he supposed to be pretty good? Sometimes it's worth putting up with temperamental doctors if they get especially good results.

When I got my orthotics, I got them from the pedorthist that was strongly recommended by my doctor. He said, 'Don't accept any substitute, get HER'. First I had to wait 2 weeks in hideous pain for the appointment. It seemed like 2 years. Then I got there an hour early and waited. When the time came for my appointment, she wasn't there. They didn't even give me an excuse at all! I waited several hours longer. Her assistants all eagerly offered to help me, and acted miffed that I wouldn't let them. I just sat there obstinately, with my feet up and with tears leaking out of my eyes and sniffling for over two hours until she finally showed up.

She was very apologetic, and told me she'd spend the rest of the day with me if she had to in order to make sure I was well taken care of. She did spend nearly four hours with me, giving me a tremendous amount of useful information as well as very carefully fitting my custom orthotics and new shoes to put them in.

As inconvenient as it was, so far (after ten days) I still feel like my orthotics are absolutely perfect for me, and from what I gather on this board that is unusual.

So is this guy the best? Or is there another doctor who might be both good and also someone you can rely on to attend his appointments?

Carole C

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 12:28 (067482)

Actually, the doc who made my orthotics was there for my appt, it was the doc who does ESWT who didn't show. Sorry if this was unclear. btw, your pedorthist sounds GREAT! I am jealous. What city is she in? Soo, my point being that I simply am not going to spend $2000 for ESWT with a doc who doesn't show. I have no idea what this guy's reputation is/ if he has one. I would rather go to Canada than go through that ordeal again! Did I mention it took me an hour to drive there and an hour back? Anyhoo, so yeah, I know what you are talking about with temperamental foot gurus. One of the orthopods I used to see was very popular and saw the LA Lakers. Every time I went to his office I had to wait no less than 2hrs. to see him. I knew this, so I always brought stuff with me! If I had known that doc. was going to pull a no show, I wouldn't have wasted my time!

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 16:27 (067501)

She's in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans. Orthotics and shoes aren't cheap either and it cost me $371.51 plus an entire day off of work before I got out of there! By the way, I saw a post about a doctor in Vancouver that's supposed to be pretty good on the ESWT message board on this site. If he really IS good, it sounds easy to just hop on a plane from LAX to Vancouver, get the ESWT done there, and fly back in time for dinner. I guess it depends on how you feel about having medical procedures done in a foreign country. That would bother me.

I think it's really smart to take something with you. I usually do when I go to doctors offices or medical labs, but I was anticipating this appointment so much, and I was in so much pain, that I forgot! I guess I figured that since I had to wait two weeks to even see her, that she'd be on time. No such luck. Next time I will take my iPAQ pocket PC and play games or read e-books or the news while I wait.

She was DEFINITELY worth the wait and the money several times over, in my opinion.

Carole C

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:16 (067504)

Yeah, well it depends on which foreign country. Canada, though, I'm not bothered by. I am seriously considering the Vacouver option, although I am not too sure about the Sonocur since it's low voltage. I think I need the voltage! ha! I don't know really. Still waiting to see he makes out from it. I'm thinking of combining it with a vaca of sort. Seattle/Vancouver. They said they could do the treatment every other day 3 times, and I may need the follow up which they do some weeks later.

Re: guru in Vancouver

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 19:14 (067512)

That's a beautiful area and one that I plan to visit, some day. I can hardly think of a better area for a vacation! The photos that I have seen of the coast in that northwestern region are quite spectacular. If you like seafood, I have heard that it is truly top notch in Vancouver.

I don't know about the Sonocur vs the other one. I have only had PF for three months, and I have a lot of basic stretching, icing, rest, and so on to do before I even think about proceeding to that next step. I'm hoping that it will not be necessary for me.

Carole

wendyn on 12/20/01 at 19:55 (067513)

Oh Carole.

Vancouver Canada - a foreign country?

That hurts!!!!

I think!?

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 20:12 (067520)

Well, gee! I've never been to Canada. Canadians online are always complaining about their health care system. But what do I know about Canadian health care, really, nothing actually! LOL I haven't even been in the northern US, much less Canada.

Carole

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 08:05 (067564)

Carole, consider this my personal invitation! I think that's funny that you consider us a 'foreign' country although I suppose it's technically true.

Few people know that we do not live in igloos, and contrary to what John H will try to tell you, our police do not ride around on horses in the funny red suits.

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 11:41 (067571)

I would LOVE to come to Canada some day. Actually, it's number one on my list of places that I want to visit, in a few years when I build up some vacation time and the money to travel. I have perused photos of Canada on the internet, places like Nova Scotia and Vancouver and other places in between, and I think I would enjoy it very much. Plus, as you point out, Canada is our neighbor and not 'as foreign' as some countries.

I was pretty amazed, as were some Canadians, when Bush apparently forgot to mention Canada's help in our time of national tragedy when he addressed Congress not long after Sept 11th. The fact that this was such a glaring omission only underscores how close our countries have been, and still are and probably always will be.

I hope I didn't insult you by my comments about your health system! All I know about it is the complaints of some Canadians that I read on the internet a few years ago. They were enough to make anybody feel insecure! LOL

Carole

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/21/01 at 18:10 (067605)

I drove up to Vancouver last week with Glenn, who posts here--see his post. We were impressed with the Sonocur people and the price was very good.
The lower power but higher frequency seems to make sense. It will probably be a while before we have good comparative studies.
Ed

Re: Carole

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 20:00 (067613)

Carole, no offense taken...

Many Canadians (myself included) believe that the Bush ommission was not an oversight...but was in fact a message (heard loud and clear). My government was very slow to show the public support that most Canadians displayed, and I think there was a message there for our Prime Minister. None of us failed to notice that Mr. Tony Blair made it all the way across the ocean to that address - but our country's leader was no where to be seen. He (the Prime Minister) took a lot of grief over his lack of action, and believe me - not one Canadian failed to noticed Mr. Bush not mentioning Canada in his speech.

Our health care system is very expensive (and in Debt), and we wait a long time...BUT I cannot complain about the care. The education our doctors and nurses receive is parallel to your health care workers. In fact, many doctors and nurses leave here to work in the States because the money is better.

BG CPed on 12/23/01 at 22:26 (067709)

Is it not also fact that for breakfast you guys eat back bacon that still has the skin and fur on it? and instead of orange juice you have warm Labatts or Molson? Good Day Eh!

Re: BG CPed

wendyn on 12/23/01 at 23:02 (067712)

Take off eh.

BG CPed on 12/24/01 at 15:22 (067755)

Wendy I wasnt sure if you guys have Christmas in Canada. If you do, have a merry one.

wendyn on 12/26/01 at 12:47 (067822)

BGCped, I can no longer tell if you are trying to get on my nerves (WHICH YOU ARE!) of if you really have no idea what goes on here.

Of course we have Christmas.

We have Monday's too.

And we sleep in beds.

We have flush toilets.

And cars.

And X-Boxes

And DVD's

And digital cameras

And the internet

And people who ANNOY us on purpose on the INTERNET!

BG CPed on 12/27/01 at 19:05 (067931)

Wendy, I guess that means I shouldnt ask you to go outside and take a picture of a polar bear or harp seal frolicking on an iceberg?

Ok that was the last one, Canada is cool

wendyn on 12/27/01 at 20:36 (067934)

The polar bears are very camera shy...and the seals aren't around that much this time of year.

The musk ox and the penguins though....now those I have right on my front door step.

Carole C on 12/19/01 at 20:23 (067430)

Well I guess it is POSSIBLE that he had a genuine emergency to attend to. Is he supposed to be pretty good? Sometimes it's worth putting up with temperamental doctors if they get especially good results.

When I got my orthotics, I got them from the pedorthist that was strongly recommended by my doctor. He said, 'Don't accept any substitute, get HER'. First I had to wait 2 weeks in hideous pain for the appointment. It seemed like 2 years. Then I got there an hour early and waited. When the time came for my appointment, she wasn't there. They didn't even give me an excuse at all! I waited several hours longer. Her assistants all eagerly offered to help me, and acted miffed that I wouldn't let them. I just sat there obstinately, with my feet up and with tears leaking out of my eyes and sniffling for over two hours until she finally showed up.

She was very apologetic, and told me she'd spend the rest of the day with me if she had to in order to make sure I was well taken care of. She did spend nearly four hours with me, giving me a tremendous amount of useful information as well as very carefully fitting my custom orthotics and new shoes to put them in.

As inconvenient as it was, so far (after ten days) I still feel like my orthotics are absolutely perfect for me, and from what I gather on this board that is unusual.

So is this guy the best? Or is there another doctor who might be both good and also someone you can rely on to attend his appointments?

Carole C

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 12:28 (067482)

Actually, the doc who made my orthotics was there for my appt, it was the doc who does ESWT who didn't show. Sorry if this was unclear. btw, your pedorthist sounds GREAT! I am jealous. What city is she in? Soo, my point being that I simply am not going to spend $2000 for ESWT with a doc who doesn't show. I have no idea what this guy's reputation is/ if he has one. I would rather go to Canada than go through that ordeal again! Did I mention it took me an hour to drive there and an hour back? Anyhoo, so yeah, I know what you are talking about with temperamental foot gurus. One of the orthopods I used to see was very popular and saw the LA Lakers. Every time I went to his office I had to wait no less than 2hrs. to see him. I knew this, so I always brought stuff with me! If I had known that doc. was going to pull a no show, I wouldn't have wasted my time!

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 16:27 (067501)

She's in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans. Orthotics and shoes aren't cheap either and it cost me $371.51 plus an entire day off of work before I got out of there! By the way, I saw a post about a doctor in Vancouver that's supposed to be pretty good on the ESWT message board on this site. If he really IS good, it sounds easy to just hop on a plane from LAX to Vancouver, get the ESWT done there, and fly back in time for dinner. I guess it depends on how you feel about having medical procedures done in a foreign country. That would bother me.

I think it's really smart to take something with you. I usually do when I go to doctors offices or medical labs, but I was anticipating this appointment so much, and I was in so much pain, that I forgot! I guess I figured that since I had to wait two weeks to even see her, that she'd be on time. No such luck. Next time I will take my iPAQ pocket PC and play games or read e-books or the news while I wait.

She was DEFINITELY worth the wait and the money several times over, in my opinion.

Carole C

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:16 (067504)

Yeah, well it depends on which foreign country. Canada, though, I'm not bothered by. I am seriously considering the Vacouver option, although I am not too sure about the Sonocur since it's low voltage. I think I need the voltage! ha! I don't know really. Still waiting to see he makes out from it. I'm thinking of combining it with a vaca of sort. Seattle/Vancouver. They said they could do the treatment every other day 3 times, and I may need the follow up which they do some weeks later.

Re: guru in Vancouver

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 19:14 (067512)

That's a beautiful area and one that I plan to visit, some day. I can hardly think of a better area for a vacation! The photos that I have seen of the coast in that northwestern region are quite spectacular. If you like seafood, I have heard that it is truly top notch in Vancouver.

I don't know about the Sonocur vs the other one. I have only had PF for three months, and I have a lot of basic stretching, icing, rest, and so on to do before I even think about proceeding to that next step. I'm hoping that it will not be necessary for me.

Carole

wendyn on 12/20/01 at 19:55 (067513)

Oh Carole.

Vancouver Canada - a foreign country?

That hurts!!!!

I think!?

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 20:12 (067520)

Well, gee! I've never been to Canada. Canadians online are always complaining about their health care system. But what do I know about Canadian health care, really, nothing actually! LOL I haven't even been in the northern US, much less Canada.

Carole

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 08:05 (067564)

Carole, consider this my personal invitation! I think that's funny that you consider us a 'foreign' country although I suppose it's technically true.

Few people know that we do not live in igloos, and contrary to what John H will try to tell you, our police do not ride around on horses in the funny red suits.

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 11:41 (067571)

I would LOVE to come to Canada some day. Actually, it's number one on my list of places that I want to visit, in a few years when I build up some vacation time and the money to travel. I have perused photos of Canada on the internet, places like Nova Scotia and Vancouver and other places in between, and I think I would enjoy it very much. Plus, as you point out, Canada is our neighbor and not 'as foreign' as some countries.

I was pretty amazed, as were some Canadians, when Bush apparently forgot to mention Canada's help in our time of national tragedy when he addressed Congress not long after Sept 11th. The fact that this was such a glaring omission only underscores how close our countries have been, and still are and probably always will be.

I hope I didn't insult you by my comments about your health system! All I know about it is the complaints of some Canadians that I read on the internet a few years ago. They were enough to make anybody feel insecure! LOL

Carole

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/21/01 at 18:10 (067605)

I drove up to Vancouver last week with Glenn, who posts here--see his post. We were impressed with the Sonocur people and the price was very good.
The lower power but higher frequency seems to make sense. It will probably be a while before we have good comparative studies.
Ed

Re: Carole

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 20:00 (067613)

Carole, no offense taken...

Many Canadians (myself included) believe that the Bush ommission was not an oversight...but was in fact a message (heard loud and clear). My government was very slow to show the public support that most Canadians displayed, and I think there was a message there for our Prime Minister. None of us failed to notice that Mr. Tony Blair made it all the way across the ocean to that address - but our country's leader was no where to be seen. He (the Prime Minister) took a lot of grief over his lack of action, and believe me - not one Canadian failed to noticed Mr. Bush not mentioning Canada in his speech.

Our health care system is very expensive (and in Debt), and we wait a long time...BUT I cannot complain about the care. The education our doctors and nurses receive is parallel to your health care workers. In fact, many doctors and nurses leave here to work in the States because the money is better.

BG CPed on 12/23/01 at 22:26 (067709)

Is it not also fact that for breakfast you guys eat back bacon that still has the skin and fur on it? and instead of orange juice you have warm Labatts or Molson? Good Day Eh!

wendyn on 12/23/01 at 23:02 (067712)

Take off eh.

BG CPed on 12/24/01 at 15:22 (067755)

Wendy I wasnt sure if you guys have Christmas in Canada. If you do, have a merry one.

wendyn on 12/26/01 at 12:47 (067822)

BGCped, I can no longer tell if you are trying to get on my nerves (WHICH YOU ARE!) of if you really have no idea what goes on here.

Of course we have Christmas.

We have Monday's too.

And we sleep in beds.

We have flush toilets.

And cars.

And X-Boxes

And DVD's

And digital cameras

And the internet

And people who ANNOY us on purpose on the INTERNET!

BG CPed on 12/27/01 at 19:05 (067931)

Wendy, I guess that means I shouldnt ask you to go outside and take a picture of a polar bear or harp seal frolicking on an iceberg?

Ok that was the last one, Canada is cool

wendyn on 12/27/01 at 20:36 (067934)

The polar bears are very camera shy...and the seals aren't around that much this time of year.

The musk ox and the penguins though....now those I have right on my front door step.