Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Allergies related to feet?

Posted by Gregg W on 12/20/01 at 12:26 (067481)

I've had moderate PF for 3 years. Now I also have some forefoot pain due to taping and shearing the muscle in that area I believe.

At any rate, every week or so I'll have a 'bad feet' day when the entire sole of my feet are very sensitive, burning and feel slightly swollen. I stay off my feet as much as possible on these days.

The bad feet days do not seem to be related to my activity the day or two before. I wear either custom orthotics or clogs. My local Podiatrist has done Tinel's test for TTS, but that's all.

Could these days be related to my mold (or maybe different) allergies? I stopped taking claritin a few weeks ago (because I ran out) and had 2 bad feet days right afterward. I had the perscription refilled, but cannot say that taking claritin again helped my feet.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: a guess

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 16:07 (067494)

I am not a foot doctor. This is in the realm of a guess, but if it is true it could explain what you are observing:

As I recall, claritin is an antihistimine and histamine is a chemical produced by the body that causes swelling and water retention, among other things. Perhaps you have some general swelling and water retention due to your allergies that is alleviated by claritin, and perhaps claritin decreases swelling in your feet a little (and in other parts of your body too). If they are less swelled up, your feet would hurt less.

Then when you stopped taking claritin, maybe your feet began to swell a little bit with water because you weren't pumping that water out with an antihistimine. Being more swelled, they would hurt more.

I don't know if any of this is actually TRUE... what I have noticed is that when I retain water, I experience the following. I unexpectely gain 3-4 pounds on my scales that day; My feet and ankles swell up; and my PF is AWFUL. Then when I move on to a condition where I'm not retaining water any more, the reverse happens and my feet feel much better.

For me the cause of water retention is just hormonal and temporary.

Carole C

Re: a guess

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 16:07 (067494)

I am not a foot doctor. This is in the realm of a guess, but if it is true it could explain what you are observing:

As I recall, claritin is an antihistimine and histamine is a chemical produced by the body that causes swelling and water retention, among other things. Perhaps you have some general swelling and water retention due to your allergies that is alleviated by claritin, and perhaps claritin decreases swelling in your feet a little (and in other parts of your body too). If they are less swelled up, your feet would hurt less.

Then when you stopped taking claritin, maybe your feet began to swell a little bit with water because you weren't pumping that water out with an antihistimine. Being more swelled, they would hurt more.

I don't know if any of this is actually TRUE... what I have noticed is that when I retain water, I experience the following. I unexpectely gain 3-4 pounds on my scales that day; My feet and ankles swell up; and my PF is AWFUL. Then when I move on to a condition where I'm not retaining water any more, the reverse happens and my feet feel much better.

For me the cause of water retention is just hormonal and temporary.

Carole C