Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Poem I wrote

Posted by Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 14:50 (067489)

I have been dealing with this chronic pain for 5 yrs. now. I have found that making art about it is helpful for me to deal with the pain and is also a powerful place to make art from. I have done photos, sculptures, web pieces about it. Here is a poem I wrote a while ago I thought I'd share with you:

TO MY LEFT FOOT:

Ach! This chronic pain in my heel!

One day I know you'll feel like new again,
but for now you make my soul ache,
I would just like to know if and when,
and exactly what it will take.

I want to shed you from the rest of me.

You are interfering with my otherwise perfect health;
Why can't you just let me be?!!?

If only I could buy a new foot with loaned wealth.

I close my eyes and pray for this nightmare to end,
But I wake up in the morning and you're even worse.

Why can't my body let itself mend?

You probably don't even realize it,
but you've changed my life,

So that every day I feel like sh*t.

Sometimes I feel like cutting you off with a knife.

Is this just a freak thing or is it in my fate?
Is this just some karmic manifestation of hate?

Re: Poem I wrote

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 15:47 (067492)

Nicole, I can relate to this poem!

I especially like the first line. It hits you in the face, sharp and abrupt, just like the pain in my left heel.

Also, with the amount that I have paid just in two months for four pairs of shoes, heel pads, orthotics, shower stool, and on and on, I might as well have bought new feet. It would have been cheaper!

(Dreaming of being the bionic woman, with bionic feet.... :)

Carole

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:17 (067505)

thanks for your reply. Yes, um, is it possible to buy new feet? :P

Suzanne D on 12/20/01 at 20:27 (067523)

This expresses quite well the FRUSTRATIONS felt by so many of us, Nicole! Thanks for sharing it with us. It helps sometimes just to express our feelings, doesn't it?

You inspired me to write a poem! Check on the Social/Support page on this board for my PF version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas'. Hope you enjoy it! :-)

Best wishes!

Tammie on 12/20/01 at 20:34 (067527)

Nicole, thanks for sharing the thoughts that many of us here have had at least a time or two! Sad to admit but all to true! I am glad that u have found a way to help deal with the pain and frustration, while dealing with this horrible afliction! Continued luck and hope that u soon find some long needed relief!

Carole C on 12/20/01 at 15:47 (067492)

Nicole, I can relate to this poem!

I especially like the first line. It hits you in the face, sharp and abrupt, just like the pain in my left heel.

Also, with the amount that I have paid just in two months for four pairs of shoes, heel pads, orthotics, shower stool, and on and on, I might as well have bought new feet. It would have been cheaper!

(Dreaming of being the bionic woman, with bionic feet.... :)

Carole

Nicole K. on 12/20/01 at 17:17 (067505)

thanks for your reply. Yes, um, is it possible to buy new feet? :P

Suzanne D on 12/20/01 at 20:27 (067523)

This expresses quite well the FRUSTRATIONS felt by so many of us, Nicole! Thanks for sharing it with us. It helps sometimes just to express our feelings, doesn't it?

You inspired me to write a poem! Check on the Social/Support page on this board for my PF version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas'. Hope you enjoy it! :-)

Best wishes!

Tammie on 12/20/01 at 20:34 (067527)

Nicole, thanks for sharing the thoughts that many of us here have had at least a time or two! Sad to admit but all to true! I am glad that u have found a way to help deal with the pain and frustration, while dealing with this horrible afliction! Continued luck and hope that u soon find some long needed relief!