Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sandals for inserts?

Posted by Betsy W on 12/20/01 at 18:12 (067511)

Another PF sufferer here.

I've been wearing the 'Superfeet' shoe inserts, they fit me quite well, I like them a lot, have one in
all my shoes now. But now it is winter. Soon I will need sandals. I've worn nothing but sandals (Birkenstocks) for over 20 years, now what do I do? (Birks are too hard-heeled, and I have a very high arch, so they no longer work for me.)

I'd like to find some brand that has a removable insole, like my other shoes, so I can put one of these Superfeet in instead. Does anyone know of a brand like this? I'm not too picky about appearance. My daily shoe now is Merrill's Primo Breeze, very comfortable. Merrill said they have no sandals w/ removable insoles. Superfeet claims to have something for shoes w/ non-removable insoles, but I can't find them except on-line, and it seems like they'd slip around if not held in by a 'lip'.

Thanks,
Betsy

Re: I don't know but...

Suzanne D on 12/20/01 at 20:31 (067526)

Betsy, if you have worn Birkenstocks for years, then I am sure you know much more about them than I do! But, have you tried the soft-bed kind? They really are much softer than the regular footbed. I understand that at least some of the Tatami line have higher arches than the other types.

Just some thoughts...

Best wishes to you! :-)

Re: sandals for inserts?

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/21/01 at 18:05 (067604)

One option is to go with custom Birkenstocks. A mold is made of the foot and sent to an orthotic lab which makes a cork foot bed bonded to the Birkenstock. Benefoot orthotic lab started the service.
Ed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/21/01 at 19:09 (067611)

We've actually had poor success with the custom birks, not sure why, but many people have not liked them.

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 19:49 (067612)

I have custom Birks made somewhere in New York. I LOVE THEM.

BG CPed on 12/23/01 at 22:38 (067710)

Bikenstock does make a few sandals with removable inserts. We also carry a line made by AMFIT folks that make the digital foot scanner and milling machine. I also had the same complaint as Dr Reid,I used to make custom birk sandals from scratch (way toooooo much time)I was excited to see the lab making them until I got a few and had to send them back to be re-done.

The were not sized very well and for the over pronator they didnt havethe ability to provide enough correction. They wee esentially forming 4 mm cork over a sandal that was already formed. If you had flat feet the heel would slide onto lateral border of heel cup.

They may be better now I think they got a huge response and were caught off gaurd and didnt have enough good techs to do them right

Beverly on 12/26/01 at 12:56 (067824)

Ambulator makes sandals that are orthodics friendly. They have a removable insert. I got mine from footsmart.com. They enclose the heel with an open toe.

Do you think the problem with custom Birks might be that your foot still flops around since most Birks are open back heels? I had to give up my Birks, because I developed achilles tendonitis and needed at least a small heel.

Footsmart.com has some other sandals that have removable inserts to accomodate orthodics. Don't know their brand names.

Ambulators won't win any beauty contest, but I have liked mine for wearing with dresses. They are stylish enough for that. Course' my whole concept of style has changed post PF and ankle troubles.
Beverly

Betsy W on 12/27/01 at 14:07 (067900)

Thanks everyone who responded to my query. I have several good leads now. Evidently, stores start stocking sandals in quantity in February or so. Therefore, I'll wait until then and strt trying out some types locally. But now I know some types to ask for.

I hadn't considered custom Birks, sop that's another option, but they also have some styles w/ removable insoles that I want to look at first. At these prices, I only want to buy one pair!

Thanks for all your advice.
betsy

Re: I don't know but...

Suzanne D on 12/20/01 at 20:31 (067526)

Betsy, if you have worn Birkenstocks for years, then I am sure you know much more about them than I do! But, have you tried the soft-bed kind? They really are much softer than the regular footbed. I understand that at least some of the Tatami line have higher arches than the other types.

Just some thoughts...

Best wishes to you! :-)

Ed Davis, DPM on 12/21/01 at 18:05 (067604)

One option is to go with custom Birkenstocks. A mold is made of the foot and sent to an orthotic lab which makes a cork foot bed bonded to the Birkenstock. Benefoot orthotic lab started the service.
Ed

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/21/01 at 19:09 (067611)

We've actually had poor success with the custom birks, not sure why, but many people have not liked them.

wendyn on 12/21/01 at 19:49 (067612)

I have custom Birks made somewhere in New York. I LOVE THEM.

BG CPed on 12/23/01 at 22:38 (067710)

Bikenstock does make a few sandals with removable inserts. We also carry a line made by AMFIT folks that make the digital foot scanner and milling machine. I also had the same complaint as Dr Reid,I used to make custom birk sandals from scratch (way toooooo much time)I was excited to see the lab making them until I got a few and had to send them back to be re-done.

The were not sized very well and for the over pronator they didnt havethe ability to provide enough correction. They wee esentially forming 4 mm cork over a sandal that was already formed. If you had flat feet the heel would slide onto lateral border of heel cup.

They may be better now I think they got a huge response and were caught off gaurd and didnt have enough good techs to do them right

Beverly on 12/26/01 at 12:56 (067824)

Ambulator makes sandals that are orthodics friendly. They have a removable insert. I got mine from footsmart.com. They enclose the heel with an open toe.

Do you think the problem with custom Birks might be that your foot still flops around since most Birks are open back heels? I had to give up my Birks, because I developed achilles tendonitis and needed at least a small heel.

Footsmart.com has some other sandals that have removable inserts to accomodate orthodics. Don't know their brand names.

Ambulators won't win any beauty contest, but I have liked mine for wearing with dresses. They are stylish enough for that. Course' my whole concept of style has changed post PF and ankle troubles.
Beverly

Betsy W on 12/27/01 at 14:07 (067900)

Thanks everyone who responded to my query. I have several good leads now. Evidently, stores start stocking sandals in quantity in February or so. Therefore, I'll wait until then and strt trying out some types locally. But now I know some types to ask for.

I hadn't considered custom Birks, sop that's another option, but they also have some styles w/ removable insoles that I want to look at first. At these prices, I only want to buy one pair!

Thanks for all your advice.
betsy