Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arthritis or Lupus as a cause of ankle pain?

Posted by Abby on 12/20/01 at 22:32 (067545)

Still experiencing ankle pain - actually I notice it less when I've been on my feet awhile. Have noticed similar, not quite as severe, pain on the inside ankle of my other foot. I know that I have a heel spur on the inside of this heel as well and when I've been on my feet alot, I still experience PF symptoms. I have read that arthritis or Lupus sometimes shows up in the ankle joint. Has any of you ever heard of this?

Re: Arthritis or Lupus as a cause of ankle pain?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/21/01 at 00:06 (067550)

It is VERY common to have inflammation in the ankle joint and the surrounding tissues within the ankle. X-rays would likely come up negative. In our practice, we do a lot of ankle arthroscopy for this inflammed tissue problem and people do really great. The symptoms are similar to PF: pain in the am and after rest and it decreases as you walk, except if you are on them a lot. This is because it is an inflammation problem. Sometimes an injection in the ankle can indicate if this is the source of your pain.

Carmen H on 12/21/01 at 07:11 (067561)

Search http://www.google.com and put in 'Symptoms of Lupus'
Lupus characteristically brings a rash acorss the face (like a butterfly)....not ALL the time but mostly.
The best thing to do is to research it and put your mind at ease.
Not a doc but I hope that helps.

Tariq Mian on 12/26/01 at 16:40 (067838)

Dr Sir, My uric acid is high from last three years and my both arms joints and left foot joints are freezed and not moving easily, I got some treatments but so far I am not fit, may I have some treatment recommendations or advices, I am 44 years male and living in Lahore Pakistan

DR Zuckerman on 12/26/01 at 16:51 (067839)

There is a form of arthritis called gouty arthritis. This could be your problem. Medication such as zyloprim, nsaid or local steriod injections may be needed. x-rays should be taken to evauate the condition of the joints

Dr. Marlene Reid on 12/21/01 at 00:06 (067550)

It is VERY common to have inflammation in the ankle joint and the surrounding tissues within the ankle. X-rays would likely come up negative. In our practice, we do a lot of ankle arthroscopy for this inflammed tissue problem and people do really great. The symptoms are similar to PF: pain in the am and after rest and it decreases as you walk, except if you are on them a lot. This is because it is an inflammation problem. Sometimes an injection in the ankle can indicate if this is the source of your pain.

Carmen H on 12/21/01 at 07:11 (067561)

Search http://www.google.com and put in 'Symptoms of Lupus'
Lupus characteristically brings a rash acorss the face (like a butterfly)....not ALL the time but mostly.
The best thing to do is to research it and put your mind at ease.
Not a doc but I hope that helps.

Tariq Mian on 12/26/01 at 16:40 (067838)

Dr Sir, My uric acid is high from last three years and my both arms joints and left foot joints are freezed and not moving easily, I got some treatments but so far I am not fit, may I have some treatment recommendations or advices, I am 44 years male and living in Lahore Pakistan

DR Zuckerman on 12/26/01 at 16:51 (067839)

There is a form of arthritis called gouty arthritis. This could be your problem. Medication such as zyloprim, nsaid or local steriod injections may be needed. x-rays should be taken to evauate the condition of the joints