Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have tried everything, HELP!

Posted by Christine F on 12/21/01 at 21:11 (067620)

I have had plantar f. pain for 5 months (Aug 2001) I have been diagnosed and doing physical therapy twice a week with taping, daily icing, streching of an avarage 10 times a day, for about 3 months.I have been told I have p.f because of excesive running and trama to both feet. I have had orthodics made for my shoes and I have extremly high arches. The pain is becomming unbareable, I think I may have to quite my (mostly) stand up job. Can someone plese give me some advice of anything else that may help? The podiatrist said that he cannot give me cortizone injections because there are so many different parts in my two feet that heve been effected, not just one particular spot. Not only is this starting to effect my daily life of just taking a strole around town, I am starting to become depresed because of so little activity and such excruciating pain. Please HELP!

Re: I have tried everything, HELP!

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:00 (067626)

Christine, I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I think all of us here understand the depression, exhaustion, and discouragement you are feeling because we have felt it too. We do care!!!

Are you being very careful NEVER to go barefoot, not even for one step or when you shower? I got a shower stool and I sit on it with my Birkenstocks on, then slip them off and get my feet in the shower, so that I don't even take one step barefoot. Believe it or not... this can make a BIG difference for me. Before I was taking sponge baths and occasionally a 30 second shower barefoot. That 30 second shower would cause great pain for 2-3 days or more afterwards.

Are you wearing your orthotics all the time? It is best to wear something with arch support every second when you are not lying down. I wear my Birkenstocks when I'm not wearing my orthotics.

How about massage? This isn't a great help, but it helps a little. Try some lotion, too. It feels good.

Your job is mostly stand up... could you sit more, or bring a stool, maybe?

I would also suggest that you do not walk or run or even stand on your feet except when it is absolutely necessary, and elevate your feet when you are at home.

I hope that you feel better soon!!!

Carole C

Julie on 12/22/01 at 01:55 (067638)

Christine, there's one important thing you haven't tried: changing your job. There's no doubt whatever that it is making you worse, and you're very unlikely to get better while you're on your feet most of the time.

You yourself raised the possibility of quitting your job, so that obviously doesn't frighten you and therefore I feel I can make the suggestion!

PF is an injury, and like any other injury it needs rest in order to heal.

What is your work? Whatever it is, it's really vital that you get off your feet, either by arranging a shift of duties within your present job situation so that you can sit down most of the time, or by finding a sit-down job somewhere else. If the pain is really that bad, you probably ought to take some time off work altogether - weeks, not days - to give your healing a head start.

The bottom line is that all the treatments in the world aren't going to do the trick if you keep re-injuring your plantar fascia, which is what is happening when you're on your feet all day.

I'm sure you aren't running now, but if and when you return to running you'll have to be careful about your shoes.

Read the heel pain book (click on the blue link right here) for as much information as you could want about PF and conservative treatments for it.

I suggest you start to investigate ESWT, also on this site. Electronic Shock Wave Therapy is a non-invasive treatment for PF that is replacing surgery when conservative treatments have failed.

I wish you well in your healing. There are many people here who have been through what you are going through, and can help you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/22/01 at 08:19 (067641)

If there are alot of different areas of pain in your foot and your podiatrist feels that steriod medications may help then you an use a medrol dose packet. Have they done an arthrtic evaluation ( blood testing). Any other joints starting to hurt you.

Christine F on 12/25/01 at 17:56 (067792)

No I have not had a blood test, what would that tell me? No, no other joints are hurting me. What is a medrol dose packet? I am taking reflean the 3 day treatment,....3 days on....3 days off ect....

DR Zuckerman on 12/25/01 at 20:03 (067794)

A medrol dose packet is the oral form of a steriod. I like to use it when the area of pain or swelling is diffuse

Christine F on 12/27/01 at 09:30 (067882)

I am returning to the podiatrist for a fourth time in two months, maybe I will ask about that. What do you think about getting a second opinon? I unfortunatly live in such a small town (Aspen)that all of the 3-5 podiatrists work pretty closly together. Have you heard of Dr.Stedman in Vail? Should I travel to see him? I have been off my feet for three days (I am visiting my family for the holidays) and I still have unbareable pain, why don't I feel better with all the resting, streching, and no bare feet????

Julie on 12/27/01 at 10:45 (067886)

Christine, I wonder if you saw my post a couple of days ago. If you ignored it because I am not a doctor, that's fine, but in case you just didn't see it, I'm writing this in the hope that you'll go back to it. It's a few posts above yours on this thread.

One reason that you don't feel better is that you're on your feet all the time, putting weight on your injured plantar fascia. It can't heal, and you won't feel better, unless you change that situation. Three days off work isn't going to make much difference.

Another clue to why you don't feel better could be the stretching you are doing. Certain kinds of stretches, and stretching too enthusiastically, can do more harm than good. Possibly, as you're a keen athlete, you're doing that without realizing. If you'll tell us what you're doing, and how much (be specific, please) we may be able to help you.

A good rule of thumb is (I'm quoting Scott here, in the heel pain book, which I hope you have read or will read) ...

'If something you're doing hurts, it's re-injuring.' This applies to one's work, to one's exercise, and indeed to anything at all. Listen to what your feet are telling you.

Christine F on 12/27/01 at 21:24 (067937)

Julie, I am not ignoring your respond because you are not a doctor, the fact is I trust someone who has gone through this horrable experience nearly as much as someone who studies it. I am looking for a sitdown job at the moment, it is a little had to find in a resort town with so many hotels and resturants (typicaly standing jobs)and the money is never is good, I don't have a whole lot of experfience in office jobs, but I am sure I will be able to find somehting. When it comes down to it my feet come first, and my current employer does not understand what I am going through, I bring my prostrecher to work everyday, but the stool thing just won't fly. Right now I cannot afford to quite without having another job lined up. I am not doing the streches on the stairs (my pt advised againt that) I do wall streches and prostrecher, and most of the time I just sit down with my legs in front of me and reach for my feet. (is this specific enough?) Yes I have read the heel pain book
I am listening to my feet
How long have you had pf?
What do you think of the boot that the podiatrist gives to sleep in? It doesn't do a damn thing for me, just makes my feet go numb, and they don't stay in the flexed posistion unless I am keeping them flexed myself.
It is extreamly hard for me to stay off my feet, I was a very active 22 year old, please tell me I won't have this for years, I don't think I can bear being so emoble for so long

Julie on 12/28/01 at 03:10 (067952)

Christine, I'm very glad to hear that your feet come first with you! That's a good start. If you give your feet the rest they need now, you will probably heal - but it will take time. There's no answer to the question how much time - but the more rest you get now, the less time it will take. As you've had it for five months without respite, I think you'll have to reckon on months rather than weeks. You need, like all of us, to learn patience (that was the big 'lesson' for me - my PF took six months to get better).

If you don't get that rest, though, there's no telling.

I know this sounds harsh. But if you were to read through all the past posts here, you would find the same story told again and again and again: by folks who simply haven't taken it seriously enough at the start, and walked, ran, or worked through the pain, and ended up with a long-term chronic condition.

If there is any possibility of a job that does not involve standing (I see the problem in your town) go for it, even if it means much less money. Take some sick leave now and use it to bone up on your office skills so that you have more to offer a prospective employer.

What shoes are you wearing? Are you sure they are the right size? Do they give your feet good support? Did your podiatrist advise you on footgear? This is just as important as orthotics, which are only as good as the shoes you put them in.

When you were running, did you change your shoes often enough? Did you have orthotics then, or only after you got PF? When you return to running (yes, I did say 'when', not 'if') you'll need to address all these questions.

The night splint is not supposed to keep your foot strongly dorsiflexed. It's supposed to keep it from plantar flexing, which is what feet naturally do when we lie down at night. If it makes you go numb there is something wrong - perhaps it's too tight. Perhaps you should investigate the N'ice Stretch on this website - many people have said it is the most comfortable and effective night splint.

I would be very careful with the wall stretches. Any weight-bearing exercise can irritate the fascia, and the wall stretches, if not done correctly, can do more harm than good. (And it isn't easy to do them correctly, with the whole body in good alignment). How are you doing them, and how often, and for how long?

If you are doing weight-bearing stretches and not improving, there is a good chance that the stretching isn't helping you. I prefer non weight-bearing exercise, and feel that for many if not most PF sufferers, it is safer and better. Here is a post I made a week or so ago and that I had the foresight to copy into my desktop file.

No, come to think of it, I'll copy it into another post. This one is already too long. I hope some of it is useful.

What did you learn from the heel pain book?

All the best, Julie

Re: Yoga exercises for the feet

Julie on 12/28/01 at 03:12 (067953)

These are simple yoga exercises for the feet. They're part of a series for all the joints called Pawanmuktasana. That means 'energy-releasing exercises', and they release energy by speeding the removal of toxins from the joints. They work systematically and precisely on the joints and on their associated muscles, tendons and ligaments. They can be done sitting on the floor with the legs outstretched (a difficult position to hold, especially for people with low back problems), or lying down, or sitting in a chair, or standing on alternate legs (a non-no for folks with PF). Sitting in a chair and lying down are best.

TOE BENDING AND STRETCHING

This one works the toe joints (all 28 of them) while holding a gentle stretch through the achilles tendons and calf muscles; and works the entire musculature of the feet.

Extend one heel forward and hold this gentle stretch while working on your toes.

Curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. (Don't do this so enthusiastically that you give yourself a cramp.)

Then stretch the toes and spread them: make spaces between them.

Do this nine times, breathing out as you curl the toes, and breathing in as you stretch them.

Repeat with the other foot, then with both feet.

ANKLE BENDING

This one works on the ankle joints and on the achilles/soleus/ gastrocnemuis complex. It helps to increase ankle dorsiflexion, the essential thing for PF-ers who are generally tight in this area.

Bend the feet forwards at the ankles, and then bend them back, one at a time, then together.

Do each nine times on each foot, then both feet, breathing out as you bend forwards, in as you bend back.

ANKLE ROTATIONS

Circle the feet at the ankles, slowly and carefully, nine times in each direction, first one foot, then the other, then both. Breathe freely.

If you co-ordinate your movements with your breath it increases their effectiveness because it (a) slows you down and (b) makes you more aware of what you're doing.

I've practised and taught these exercises for many years. They are effective and powerful, and useful for people with PF because they're both non- weight-bearing and specific. And they're very energizing.

I do them in the morning before I get out of bed, and would recommend this to anyone with PF to help avoid the 'first step' pain.

They can be done as many times a day as you like: the more the better.

Christine F on 12/28/01 at 12:02 (067987)

Julie, thanks for the streching advise, I do do the laying down ankle bends with one leg in the air and one down on the bed giving my calf a strech in the mornings, I will definatly try the others as well :) 6 months for you huh?!?! That is amazing! I do wear good shoes, I have been maining wearing my New Balance since this problem started, and they are new, I understand the importance, can you suggest something else? I always wear my orthodix in them, but I only got a pair after diagnosed with pf, I don't think I will ever not have them now, they give high arches so much more support, I also like when I get taped by pt,I am learning so I can do it on my own as well, I again makes my arches feeel more supported. I have been told and read I shouldn't even be riding a bike, what to you think? I still lift weights 3 times a week, but I need more excersise, what did you do? Or anyone who reads this post that may have a suggestion, please let me know, I am currtly tring to afford a gym membership somewhere with a pool.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 16:12 (068014)

Hi Christine

I'm not sure about the bike. Some people here have found it ok, and some not. I think you have to trust your feet to tell you whether they like it or not. Just make sure you listen to what they tell you. I think it's particularly hard for keen active athletes to slow down and listen - but you've really got to.

Swimming is great aerobic non-weight-bearing exercise and I've heard of nobody who has had problems with it, so go for it if you can.

My exercise? I practise and teach yoga. I also love walking (which I couldn't and didn't do when I had PF) and swimming (which I could and did do). WHen I was a lot younger (your age and well into my 30s) I was an exercise addict, and I know PF would have been very difficult for me to deal with then, so I think I can understand how you feel.

Have a look at the taping section in part 2 of the heel pain book. If the taping your PT does helps you, you should go on with it, and the simple techniques described in the book are just as effective (so I found) as the complicated tape-intensive ones the professionals use (as well as cheaper and quicker!). Worth looking into.

Ellen J. on 12/29/01 at 22:47 (068113)

Hi Christine
I am a P.F. sufferer who has had it for 2 years. I ran 3 miles a day and lifted weights, hiked, etc. I had P.F. for 2 weeks before I realized what was wrong with my feet and immediately stopped running. I have tried a few other exercises in an effort to maintain some level of fitness and it can be difficult, esp. since I have chondromalacia too. I have discovered that a stationary bike is better than a regular road bike because I'm not tempted to try and climb those really steep hills. I set the bike at a comfortable level and stick with it as long as my feet (and knees) don't hurt. If I push too hard, like setting the level too high, my P.F. can get worse. I use pain as a guide. I position my feet on the pedals in such a way that the pressure doesn't irritate the fascia. I also use the stair climbing machine, but with care. I keep my feet FLAT on the pedals and try to avoid the temptation to really go at it hard. My plan is to gradually increase the levels as long as my feet (and knee) don't end up sore the day after each episode. I gave myself a long term goal of trying my first run in the spring so that I don't get tempted to try and run too soon. Each person is different, so I don't know if what works for me will work for you. I wish you and everyone on this list lots of luck and patience. I'm so glad this website was created, as it gives me renewed hope when I can get more information on this issue.
Ellen J.

Christine F on 1/01/02 at 17:38 (068377)

Ellen, thank you for your comments and sugestions, are you still suffering from pf? If so how can you run? I tried to do the eliptical trainer yesterday, and for that I suffered tremendously last night and could not even go out, I crawled around the house, needless to say I think biking is my only option. Good luck on your recovery, I pray everynight that I will be better soon, maybe I should start pray for others as well. What is chondromalacia?

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:00 (067626)

Christine, I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I think all of us here understand the depression, exhaustion, and discouragement you are feeling because we have felt it too. We do care!!!

Are you being very careful NEVER to go barefoot, not even for one step or when you shower? I got a shower stool and I sit on it with my Birkenstocks on, then slip them off and get my feet in the shower, so that I don't even take one step barefoot. Believe it or not... this can make a BIG difference for me. Before I was taking sponge baths and occasionally a 30 second shower barefoot. That 30 second shower would cause great pain for 2-3 days or more afterwards.

Are you wearing your orthotics all the time? It is best to wear something with arch support every second when you are not lying down. I wear my Birkenstocks when I'm not wearing my orthotics.

How about massage? This isn't a great help, but it helps a little. Try some lotion, too. It feels good.

Your job is mostly stand up... could you sit more, or bring a stool, maybe?

I would also suggest that you do not walk or run or even stand on your feet except when it is absolutely necessary, and elevate your feet when you are at home.

I hope that you feel better soon!!!

Carole C

Julie on 12/22/01 at 01:55 (067638)

Christine, there's one important thing you haven't tried: changing your job. There's no doubt whatever that it is making you worse, and you're very unlikely to get better while you're on your feet most of the time.

You yourself raised the possibility of quitting your job, so that obviously doesn't frighten you and therefore I feel I can make the suggestion!

PF is an injury, and like any other injury it needs rest in order to heal.

What is your work? Whatever it is, it's really vital that you get off your feet, either by arranging a shift of duties within your present job situation so that you can sit down most of the time, or by finding a sit-down job somewhere else. If the pain is really that bad, you probably ought to take some time off work altogether - weeks, not days - to give your healing a head start.

The bottom line is that all the treatments in the world aren't going to do the trick if you keep re-injuring your plantar fascia, which is what is happening when you're on your feet all day.

I'm sure you aren't running now, but if and when you return to running you'll have to be careful about your shoes.

Read the heel pain book (click on the blue link right here) for as much information as you could want about PF and conservative treatments for it.

I suggest you start to investigate ESWT, also on this site. Electronic Shock Wave Therapy is a non-invasive treatment for PF that is replacing surgery when conservative treatments have failed.

I wish you well in your healing. There are many people here who have been through what you are going through, and can help you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/22/01 at 08:19 (067641)

If there are alot of different areas of pain in your foot and your podiatrist feels that steriod medications may help then you an use a medrol dose packet. Have they done an arthrtic evaluation ( blood testing). Any other joints starting to hurt you.

Christine F on 12/25/01 at 17:56 (067792)

No I have not had a blood test, what would that tell me? No, no other joints are hurting me. What is a medrol dose packet? I am taking reflean the 3 day treatment,....3 days on....3 days off ect....

DR Zuckerman on 12/25/01 at 20:03 (067794)

A medrol dose packet is the oral form of a steriod. I like to use it when the area of pain or swelling is diffuse

Christine F on 12/27/01 at 09:30 (067882)

I am returning to the podiatrist for a fourth time in two months, maybe I will ask about that. What do you think about getting a second opinon? I unfortunatly live in such a small town (Aspen)that all of the 3-5 podiatrists work pretty closly together. Have you heard of Dr.Stedman in Vail? Should I travel to see him? I have been off my feet for three days (I am visiting my family for the holidays) and I still have unbareable pain, why don't I feel better with all the resting, streching, and no bare feet????

Julie on 12/27/01 at 10:45 (067886)

Christine, I wonder if you saw my post a couple of days ago. If you ignored it because I am not a doctor, that's fine, but in case you just didn't see it, I'm writing this in the hope that you'll go back to it. It's a few posts above yours on this thread.

One reason that you don't feel better is that you're on your feet all the time, putting weight on your injured plantar fascia. It can't heal, and you won't feel better, unless you change that situation. Three days off work isn't going to make much difference.

Another clue to why you don't feel better could be the stretching you are doing. Certain kinds of stretches, and stretching too enthusiastically, can do more harm than good. Possibly, as you're a keen athlete, you're doing that without realizing. If you'll tell us what you're doing, and how much (be specific, please) we may be able to help you.

A good rule of thumb is (I'm quoting Scott here, in the heel pain book, which I hope you have read or will read) ...

'If something you're doing hurts, it's re-injuring.' This applies to one's work, to one's exercise, and indeed to anything at all. Listen to what your feet are telling you.

Christine F on 12/27/01 at 21:24 (067937)

Julie, I am not ignoring your respond because you are not a doctor, the fact is I trust someone who has gone through this horrable experience nearly as much as someone who studies it. I am looking for a sitdown job at the moment, it is a little had to find in a resort town with so many hotels and resturants (typicaly standing jobs)and the money is never is good, I don't have a whole lot of experfience in office jobs, but I am sure I will be able to find somehting. When it comes down to it my feet come first, and my current employer does not understand what I am going through, I bring my prostrecher to work everyday, but the stool thing just won't fly. Right now I cannot afford to quite without having another job lined up. I am not doing the streches on the stairs (my pt advised againt that) I do wall streches and prostrecher, and most of the time I just sit down with my legs in front of me and reach for my feet. (is this specific enough?) Yes I have read the heel pain book
I am listening to my feet
How long have you had pf?
What do you think of the boot that the podiatrist gives to sleep in? It doesn't do a damn thing for me, just makes my feet go numb, and they don't stay in the flexed posistion unless I am keeping them flexed myself.
It is extreamly hard for me to stay off my feet, I was a very active 22 year old, please tell me I won't have this for years, I don't think I can bear being so emoble for so long

Julie on 12/28/01 at 03:10 (067952)

Christine, I'm very glad to hear that your feet come first with you! That's a good start. If you give your feet the rest they need now, you will probably heal - but it will take time. There's no answer to the question how much time - but the more rest you get now, the less time it will take. As you've had it for five months without respite, I think you'll have to reckon on months rather than weeks. You need, like all of us, to learn patience (that was the big 'lesson' for me - my PF took six months to get better).

If you don't get that rest, though, there's no telling.

I know this sounds harsh. But if you were to read through all the past posts here, you would find the same story told again and again and again: by folks who simply haven't taken it seriously enough at the start, and walked, ran, or worked through the pain, and ended up with a long-term chronic condition.

If there is any possibility of a job that does not involve standing (I see the problem in your town) go for it, even if it means much less money. Take some sick leave now and use it to bone up on your office skills so that you have more to offer a prospective employer.

What shoes are you wearing? Are you sure they are the right size? Do they give your feet good support? Did your podiatrist advise you on footgear? This is just as important as orthotics, which are only as good as the shoes you put them in.

When you were running, did you change your shoes often enough? Did you have orthotics then, or only after you got PF? When you return to running (yes, I did say 'when', not 'if') you'll need to address all these questions.

The night splint is not supposed to keep your foot strongly dorsiflexed. It's supposed to keep it from plantar flexing, which is what feet naturally do when we lie down at night. If it makes you go numb there is something wrong - perhaps it's too tight. Perhaps you should investigate the N'ice Stretch on this website - many people have said it is the most comfortable and effective night splint.

I would be very careful with the wall stretches. Any weight-bearing exercise can irritate the fascia, and the wall stretches, if not done correctly, can do more harm than good. (And it isn't easy to do them correctly, with the whole body in good alignment). How are you doing them, and how often, and for how long?

If you are doing weight-bearing stretches and not improving, there is a good chance that the stretching isn't helping you. I prefer non weight-bearing exercise, and feel that for many if not most PF sufferers, it is safer and better. Here is a post I made a week or so ago and that I had the foresight to copy into my desktop file.

No, come to think of it, I'll copy it into another post. This one is already too long. I hope some of it is useful.

What did you learn from the heel pain book?

All the best, Julie

Julie on 12/28/01 at 03:12 (067953)

These are simple yoga exercises for the feet. They're part of a series for all the joints called Pawanmuktasana. That means 'energy-releasing exercises', and they release energy by speeding the removal of toxins from the joints. They work systematically and precisely on the joints and on their associated muscles, tendons and ligaments. They can be done sitting on the floor with the legs outstretched (a difficult position to hold, especially for people with low back problems), or lying down, or sitting in a chair, or standing on alternate legs (a non-no for folks with PF). Sitting in a chair and lying down are best.

TOE BENDING AND STRETCHING

This one works the toe joints (all 28 of them) while holding a gentle stretch through the achilles tendons and calf muscles; and works the entire musculature of the feet.

Extend one heel forward and hold this gentle stretch while working on your toes.

Curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. (Don't do this so enthusiastically that you give yourself a cramp.)

Then stretch the toes and spread them: make spaces between them.

Do this nine times, breathing out as you curl the toes, and breathing in as you stretch them.

Repeat with the other foot, then with both feet.

ANKLE BENDING

This one works on the ankle joints and on the achilles/soleus/ gastrocnemuis complex. It helps to increase ankle dorsiflexion, the essential thing for PF-ers who are generally tight in this area.

Bend the feet forwards at the ankles, and then bend them back, one at a time, then together.

Do each nine times on each foot, then both feet, breathing out as you bend forwards, in as you bend back.

ANKLE ROTATIONS

Circle the feet at the ankles, slowly and carefully, nine times in each direction, first one foot, then the other, then both. Breathe freely.

If you co-ordinate your movements with your breath it increases their effectiveness because it (a) slows you down and (b) makes you more aware of what you're doing.

I've practised and taught these exercises for many years. They are effective and powerful, and useful for people with PF because they're both non- weight-bearing and specific. And they're very energizing.

I do them in the morning before I get out of bed, and would recommend this to anyone with PF to help avoid the 'first step' pain.

They can be done as many times a day as you like: the more the better.

Christine F on 12/28/01 at 12:02 (067987)

Julie, thanks for the streching advise, I do do the laying down ankle bends with one leg in the air and one down on the bed giving my calf a strech in the mornings, I will definatly try the others as well :) 6 months for you huh?!?! That is amazing! I do wear good shoes, I have been maining wearing my New Balance since this problem started, and they are new, I understand the importance, can you suggest something else? I always wear my orthodix in them, but I only got a pair after diagnosed with pf, I don't think I will ever not have them now, they give high arches so much more support, I also like when I get taped by pt,I am learning so I can do it on my own as well, I again makes my arches feeel more supported. I have been told and read I shouldn't even be riding a bike, what to you think? I still lift weights 3 times a week, but I need more excersise, what did you do? Or anyone who reads this post that may have a suggestion, please let me know, I am currtly tring to afford a gym membership somewhere with a pool.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 16:12 (068014)

Hi Christine

I'm not sure about the bike. Some people here have found it ok, and some not. I think you have to trust your feet to tell you whether they like it or not. Just make sure you listen to what they tell you. I think it's particularly hard for keen active athletes to slow down and listen - but you've really got to.

Swimming is great aerobic non-weight-bearing exercise and I've heard of nobody who has had problems with it, so go for it if you can.

My exercise? I practise and teach yoga. I also love walking (which I couldn't and didn't do when I had PF) and swimming (which I could and did do). WHen I was a lot younger (your age and well into my 30s) I was an exercise addict, and I know PF would have been very difficult for me to deal with then, so I think I can understand how you feel.

Have a look at the taping section in part 2 of the heel pain book. If the taping your PT does helps you, you should go on with it, and the simple techniques described in the book are just as effective (so I found) as the complicated tape-intensive ones the professionals use (as well as cheaper and quicker!). Worth looking into.

Ellen J. on 12/29/01 at 22:47 (068113)

Hi Christine
I am a P.F. sufferer who has had it for 2 years. I ran 3 miles a day and lifted weights, hiked, etc. I had P.F. for 2 weeks before I realized what was wrong with my feet and immediately stopped running. I have tried a few other exercises in an effort to maintain some level of fitness and it can be difficult, esp. since I have chondromalacia too. I have discovered that a stationary bike is better than a regular road bike because I'm not tempted to try and climb those really steep hills. I set the bike at a comfortable level and stick with it as long as my feet (and knees) don't hurt. If I push too hard, like setting the level too high, my P.F. can get worse. I use pain as a guide. I position my feet on the pedals in such a way that the pressure doesn't irritate the fascia. I also use the stair climbing machine, but with care. I keep my feet FLAT on the pedals and try to avoid the temptation to really go at it hard. My plan is to gradually increase the levels as long as my feet (and knee) don't end up sore the day after each episode. I gave myself a long term goal of trying my first run in the spring so that I don't get tempted to try and run too soon. Each person is different, so I don't know if what works for me will work for you. I wish you and everyone on this list lots of luck and patience. I'm so glad this website was created, as it gives me renewed hope when I can get more information on this issue.
Ellen J.

Christine F on 1/01/02 at 17:38 (068377)

Ellen, thank you for your comments and sugestions, are you still suffering from pf? If so how can you run? I tried to do the eliptical trainer yesterday, and for that I suffered tremendously last night and could not even go out, I crawled around the house, needless to say I think biking is my only option. Good luck on your recovery, I pray everynight that I will be better soon, maybe I should start pray for others as well. What is chondromalacia?