Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I give up

Posted by rebecca h on 12/21/01 at 21:29 (067622)

went to podiatrist this morning. He adjusted the $500 orthotics. They are worse than ever. I cannot wear them for even five minutes now. He did more xrays but wouldn't do the MRI or bone scan because he said there was no real reason to. I told him about my forefeet really really really really hurting. He didn't seem real concerned. Said the pain was because I was compensating for the heel pain. I thought he was on my side. Now I'm having my doubts. Does anyone know of a really good podiatrist, pedorthist , or other kind of professional medical person in the far North corner of Illinois next to Lake Michigan? Or the far south east corner of Wisconsin. I have a killer headache. I'm going to go ice my feet AND my head.

Re: ATTN: ANYBODY KNOW A N.ILLINOIS/SE WISCONSIN PODIATRIST OR PEDORTHIST?

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 21:41 (067624)

Oh Rebecca!!! (hugs) {{{{{Rebecca}}}}}}

I am so sorry it worked out like this! I was hoping he would do something. I don't know anybody up there but I think that by looking for another opinion you are doing the right thing. You have been feeling a LOT of pain for a long time, and this podiatrist doesn't seem to be bending over backwards to help.

Hope the ice helps for tonight.

Carole C

Re: I give up

Laurie R on 12/21/01 at 22:09 (067627)

Dear Rebecca , I am so very sorry about your appointment today .. I know you wanted some answers today ... I wish I could do or say something to make you feel better. I know how it is to find a great doctor .. Please don't give up their are many wonderful doctor's we just have to find them .

Do you take any type of pain meds ? If not I would ask your doctor for something , I know they don't take the pain away but the edge would be nice..

I hope you have a merry Christmas .. I feel very sad for you ... Keep the faith , that is something no one can take from you ..

Here is a big hug for you ..

((((((((((((((((((((((Rebecca))))))))))))))))))

Laurie R

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:37 (067629)

Well, just in case nobody posts about a particular podiatrist in your area that's especially good, here's where you can at least find one in your area. Go to

http://www.apma.org/

And click on 'find a podiatrist' in the upper left part of the screen.

Maybe you can get your husband to take the kids somewhere for a while, for 'quality time', while you rest your feet. Are you on an anti-inflammatory or pain medication? That might help.

Sympathetically,

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/21/01 at 22:41 (067630)

I am sorry, Rebecca, and I DO understand! I just wish that all of us could find someone as capable as the doctors who post on this board and the one Carole has found. She seems to be making such progress, and I am SO happy for her! But some of us are not as lucky with the doctors we find. And insurance and referrals make it even harder to deal with. I hope your headache is better soon! I have migraines, and I DO sympathize with anyone who has headaches!

I wish I could help you, but I DO send you my good wishes and sympathy!

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:59 (067631)

Thank you, Suzanne. I still am guardedly happy, because I think I'm probably on the upswing of the PF roller coaster rather than out of the woods. (Sorry about the mixed metaphors! I know those drive teachers up a wall LOL)

And yes, I think I was very very lucky and that is all. My rheumatologist (who I really dislike because he doesn't even remember my case from one minute to the next) recommended my pedorthist to me, and it looks like for once he was right about something. I never even heard of pedorthists until then. Although my BC/BS health insurance didn't cover the pedorthist, I am saving my receipts and maybe I can write it off on my taxes.

Poor Rebecca! She waited so long for this appointment which makes it doubly disappointing.

Well, I'm off to ice my feet a little on bags of mixed veggies. That will feel nice. :)

Carole C

Re: Don't give up

Julie on 12/22/01 at 02:04 (067639)

Rebecca, this is ridiculous. $500 for orthotics that hurt, and a podiatrist who won't listen to you and won't order the tests you need? You've got to find another, and quickly.

Re-post your question on the Ask the Doctors board (they don't always read this one). Drs Reid and Kosova are in Chicago - I'm not sure exactly where you are, but it would be worth a journey or two to see them.

I suggest you also post about the orthotics on the Inserts/Orthotics/Shoes board. Richard or Brian should be able to give you some pointers on dealing with a guy who makes $500 inserts that he can't get right.

DON'T give up.

Re: Don't give up, they will win!

BrianG on 12/22/01 at 09:03 (067642)

Hi Rebecca,

How long have you had the orthotics? If you can't wear them, why not try to return them for cash. I don't think I would want to take a chance of another set from the same company. I made that mistake early on. Two sets from the same company, both ice scrapers, both to hard to wear.

If they refuse to give a refund, you could try your state house. They usually have a consumer dept. that will try to help you. I'd also like to put in a plug for the orthotics that I've had since May, Sporthotics. Made by The Langer Biomechanics Group, Inc. They are semi-rigid, 3/4, and actually feel good. They haven't cured me, but I have no trouble wearing them, and the break in time was fairly short. I hope you get this taken care of soon, I know how frustrating it can be, believe me. Good luck

BCG

Re: YES ---- Dr. Marlene Reid is an excellent suggestion

Steve P on 12/22/01 at 10:52 (067644)

Dr. Marlene Reid & Dr. Kosova (forget his first name) are in the Chicago area & have posted on this board. Consider checking them out.

Best......Steve

Re: You are right I won't give up. EVER

rebecca on 12/23/01 at 14:24 (067693)

because I need my feet.

Julie on 12/24/01 at 02:45 (067725)

Good! I was really glad to see your post to Dr Reid and the exchange. Do go and see her. You need to be examined and advised and treated by a top class podiatrist.

I wish you luck and as happy a holiday season as possible.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/24/01 at 07:51 (067733)

Two suggestions: I know a C.Ped in Milwaukee, Dennis Janisse. His whole staff is very good. He is one of the pedorthists that taught me.

You can also go over to my web site at:

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SupportSt/metatarsalgia/

Scroll down to the links section and look for the link titled 'locate a c.ped'. Then follow the instructions.
Good Luck!!
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/24/01 at 07:52 (067734)

Good Lord!! Did you say $500.00??????
Richard

Re: Richard and Brian--please look at this:

rebecca h on 12/24/01 at 14:34 (067751)

Yes. They are called DynaSport. The Foot and Ankle Health Center to which I went has a 'Foot Orthotic Agreement' which reads like this:

Patient Name______________________________________

The fee for orthotic devices is $527.00. A deposit of $75.00 is required before the impressions are sent to the laboratory for construchtion.

This fee for the orthotic devices includes the following:
1. Casting.
2. Biomechanical Evaluation.
3. Laboratory fee for the construction of the device.
4. Proper fitting of the device.
5. Adjustment of the orthotic.
6. Follow-up examination for 1 (one) year
7. Proper foot support as needed until orthotics are dispensed.
8. Does Not include initial examination, x-rays or previous foot care.

The orthotics are your financial responsibility . If you have insurance, we will gladly submit the cahrges to them. Any insurance payments made will be applied to your account.

It takes approximately 2-4 weeks for the laboratory to construcht the orthotics, which are custom made specifically for your feet. We will contact you when the orthotics are completed so you can arrange for an appointment to have the orthotics fitted by the doctor. Directions for the proper use and care of the orthotics will be dispensed at that time also.

When you choose to have orthotics made, you are agreeing to the above terms.
I have been completely informed of the charges resulting form the casting, and I completely understand the fees and terms quoted to me.

PATIENT'S SIGNATURE____________________________________
WITNESS_________________________________DATE

Well, that's about it. I signed it and maybe its not a bad deal considering the adjustment and follow up???? I have no idea. I FEEL like I am legally bound to keep the orthotics and work with the doctor to get them right! (but at this point I would rather have the money!!!) I WOULD REALLY VALUE YOUR OPINION!

Thanks,
rebecca h

Re: Oh, one more question...

rebecca h on 12/24/01 at 14:43 (067752)

Do you have to be sent to a C.Ped. by a Podiatrist? Or can you just go?

Nancy N on 12/24/01 at 15:58 (067756)

Rebecca--

This is just my experience; the particulars may vary by state. I am in New Jersey.

I got my first pair of orthotics from my podiatrist. He sent them out to a lab and what I got for my money (which I didn't need to pay and should have been covered by insurance, and they still haven't reimbursed me for--don't get me started!) was unmitigated crap. 3/4 length, hard as rocks, and made my feet feel even worse than they did before.

So... after going in and having them give me another set of injections, supposedly to help me adjust (!), tape stuff to the bottom of the orthotics to raise them, etc... they told me I would have to have surgery because it was the only thing left (this was in the spring of 2000, and when I mentioned ESWT, they looked at me like I had six heads). I tried an orthopedist and got much the same reaction there, which was incredibly frustrating. This board was the only thing that had me convinced I wasn't nuts and didn't want surgery by the fall, when I got into the FDA study for the OrthoWave (and got the placebo).

All this is by way of giving you a brief sense of my history. I wanted to get orthotics during the study, which lasted for six months, but wasn't allowed to because it would have made my participation difficult to gauge. I wasn't convinced that orthotics would do much for my feet but since I do overpronate, I was worried about long-term effects on my knees/hips/back/etc. But I had no podiatrist to work with (having summarily ditched the first outfit after the first orthotic experience).

I went to Richard's page in February of this year and found a local CPed, because I was convinced that I was never going to get anything that was right if I went through the Pods office (obviously, this varies by podiatrist, but once was enough for me!). I called him up and we discussed the particulars for a while, and he told me that the state of New Jersey requires a prescription before he is allowed to mold any part of the body. I asked him if I could go to my PCP and get one, and he said that would be fine, so that's what I did. I briefly explained the situation and she did look slightly confused about why I wasn't going through a pods office, but she wrote me the prescription, which only had to say 'Custom orthotics.'

After that, it's all been worked out between me, and the CPed, who has been fantastic to me. And his orthotics worked wonders for my feet. It was essentially a matter of me just taking control of the situation and doing what I needed to do to get what I needed. I may just have been lucky, I don't know. I don't know what other states require. But I would definitely recommend finding a good CPed (and I would take along Richard's list of questions before going ahead with the process--I gave my CPed 'the quiz' and when he passed, I knew I had a good shot at success and was willing to take the risk. And I'm really glad I did.

So--I would find out who's in your area, and then get in touch with them. Richard has a link on his page that lets you search, I think by Zip code. If you find someone, give them a call and see if they pass the quiz, and find out if you need a prescription or not.

Good luck to you!!

Nancy

DR Zuckerman on 12/24/01 at 16:42 (067758)

This might not be a bad deal if the follow up visits are included for one year. The problem is that your insurance may not cover the orthosis but they will cover the follow up visits and adjustment visits. So ask the doctor to bill the insurance company for each visit that you go to their office. The average office visit is $45. This may cover the entire pair of orthosis. In addition alot of insurance companies pay for the casting . That is another $50-$100 dollars

Re: Consumer protection #'s

BrianG on 12/24/01 at 20:43 (067765)

That #4 on your contract doesn't seem to have been met, does it. I went to a search engine and typed in 'Illinois Consumer Protection'. I found these numbers, which are out of the IL Attorney General's Office. I think if you give them a call, they can advise you about getting your money back. Take your choice:
Chicago - 800-386-5438
Springfield - 800-243-0618
Carbondale - 800-243-0607

If they can't give you an answer, I'm sure they can refer you. What the heck, it's a free call !!! Good luck

BCG

DR Zuckerman on 12/24/01 at 21:30 (067766)

Why don't you just ask the podiatrist to refund your money and that you can't wear the inserts. In the state of New Jersey the complaint form asks you what you have done to resolve the problem. They may just say hey you aren't happy here is your money or they may say ok lets try another type of orthosis.

If you report the podiatrist's office he is then going to get very defensive and you then may have to sue him and then the money will go to the lawyers. So try a common sense approach first.

I have a form in my office that states there is no guarantee that you will get relief from the orthosis. I still refund the orthosis if patients can't weart them . With orthosis there are going to be some pateints that just can't be helped with orthosis. This is one of the reason they are so expensive there is a mark up to allow for either a refund or making a second pair or at least that they way I think it should be.

Good luck .

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 00:28 (067770)

I don't want to sue anyone. (Never have, never will.) Conflict wears me down and stresses me out.... I just want my feet to stop hurting, that's all..... I'm so very tired of being in constant pain. I am going to re-read everything and think carefully and talk to my husband before my next move. Seems like I've got alot of options. It's a bit confusing.

(And the podiatrist may be a pretty good one who is helping alot of people's feet feel better. But not mine. Not yet anyway. Maybe he hasn't seen a case like mine and doesn't understand how much I'm hurting.)

Thank you Brian, Dr. Zuckerman and everyone for your concern. And Brian-thank you for looking up those numbers.

Re: Nancy

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 00:32 (067771)

I sure appreciate your sharing your story with me. Richard told me about a good Pedorthist in Milwaukee. Now I have to decide whether to go to him or to go to Dr. Reid first. She's about 2 hours south of me. Milwaukee is about an hour north.

Re: Rebecca

Julie on 12/25/01 at 02:28 (067772)

Rebecca, in case it helps you to make a decision, this is what I think.

You may or may not need a pedorthist: as Dr Z says, some people and some conditions are not going to be helped by orthosis. Even when orthotics are helpful, they are just one aspect of a comprehensive healing plan.

You do need a podiatrist, because you need a proper diagnosis.You have a couple of things going on with your feet and you need to be examined, evaluated and correctly diagnosed so that their cause(s) can be identified and then addressed. You haven't had a proper diagnosis: your pod says 'PF', but doesn't know why you have forefoot pain and doesn't seem to be interested in finding out why.

So I think you should go to Dr Reid first and get going on a comprehensive treatment plan that is right for you. If you also need to see a pedorthist, she will tell you.

As for the unsatisfactory orthotics you now have, I think Dr Z and Brian have given you very good advice.

Merry Christmas, and a foot-happy 2002. (It has to be a good year: it's a palindrome, and there won't be another until 2112.)

Nancy N on 12/25/01 at 06:37 (067773)

Rebecca--

I agree with what Julie has said here. Certainly, if you end up with a good diagnosis you are armed with good information, and that is the thing you need most. I had been dealing with PF for almost two years when I went out on my own in search of good orthotics, and I had also discussed it with the orthopedist I saw for the OrthoWave study.

So--don't be afraid to go do what you need to do when you get to that point. But you may not be to that point yet, so do see what you can learn from Dr. Reid, and then go from there.

Good luck!

Nancy

BrianG on 12/25/01 at 10:19 (067777)

Hi Rebecca,

I'm not suggesting you sue, or report anyone. I'm just thinking you could make a phone call to find out what your rights are. And Dr Z. is correct, It probably would be good to go through the Pod first. I would just be careful about ordering another pair, by the same manufacturer. I hate legal action, just as much as the next person.

Merry Christmas
BCG

PS Have you talked to your Pod, of family doc about how much pain your in? There is so much available to help you. If you have time, take a look at this site: http://www.pain.com

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 15:01 (067787)

Wow, cool website, Brian. I think this will help me communicate better, because within a 24 hour period and depending on how much ibuprofen or viox, the pain can range from quite tolerable (sitting with feet up just after a good foot massage and ice) to severe (having just taken a few steps a little too fast to catch a two-year old :-) who is escaping out the front door!)

Richard, C.Ped on 12/26/01 at 09:28 (067807)

Hi Rebecca...
You can just go to the pedorthist, but almost always, we will ask that you see a physician before we dispense anything. I compare a pedorthist to a pharmacist. They will not give you certain medications without a prescription. We will not either (some do, but they are the bad seeds).

A script for over the counter stuff is not needed. If I think there is a serious medical condition going on, I will not give someone an OTC product. I will refer them to their doctor and give the doc notes about what I found in their exam. I feel it is my job to supply the best possible device to relieve the pain.

Even though the docs around here trust our judgement, I would rather go ahead and have the patient see them first instead of just making the orthosis for them.

Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/26/01 at 09:35 (067809)

Rebecca...
I am not one for confrontation either, but when I pay for a service, I expect to receive the best possible service.

Example: If you go out to eat, and the food is bad, wouldn't you want your money back? I would. Same thing here. You paid money for a product that does not seem to be working.

I have some people that just can get used to their orthosis. I work with them until the device works. You have to look at more than their arch pain. You have to know where the pain is coming from and how to adjust that area.

Richard

rebecca h on 12/26/01 at 11:03 (067815)

You're right Richard. Funny thing is, if my children or husband or friend is being unfairly treated I can be a fightin' tiger for them. Just have a hard time doing it for myself.

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 21:41 (067624)

Oh Rebecca!!! (hugs) {{{{{Rebecca}}}}}}

I am so sorry it worked out like this! I was hoping he would do something. I don't know anybody up there but I think that by looking for another opinion you are doing the right thing. You have been feeling a LOT of pain for a long time, and this podiatrist doesn't seem to be bending over backwards to help.

Hope the ice helps for tonight.

Carole C

Laurie R on 12/21/01 at 22:09 (067627)

Dear Rebecca , I am so very sorry about your appointment today .. I know you wanted some answers today ... I wish I could do or say something to make you feel better. I know how it is to find a great doctor .. Please don't give up their are many wonderful doctor's we just have to find them .

Do you take any type of pain meds ? If not I would ask your doctor for something , I know they don't take the pain away but the edge would be nice..

I hope you have a merry Christmas .. I feel very sad for you ... Keep the faith , that is something no one can take from you ..

Here is a big hug for you ..

((((((((((((((((((((((Rebecca))))))))))))))))))

Laurie R

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:37 (067629)

Well, just in case nobody posts about a particular podiatrist in your area that's especially good, here's where you can at least find one in your area. Go to

http://www.apma.org/

And click on 'find a podiatrist' in the upper left part of the screen.

Maybe you can get your husband to take the kids somewhere for a while, for 'quality time', while you rest your feet. Are you on an anti-inflammatory or pain medication? That might help.

Sympathetically,

Carole C

Suzanne D on 12/21/01 at 22:41 (067630)

I am sorry, Rebecca, and I DO understand! I just wish that all of us could find someone as capable as the doctors who post on this board and the one Carole has found. She seems to be making such progress, and I am SO happy for her! But some of us are not as lucky with the doctors we find. And insurance and referrals make it even harder to deal with. I hope your headache is better soon! I have migraines, and I DO sympathize with anyone who has headaches!

I wish I could help you, but I DO send you my good wishes and sympathy!

Carole C on 12/21/01 at 22:59 (067631)

Thank you, Suzanne. I still am guardedly happy, because I think I'm probably on the upswing of the PF roller coaster rather than out of the woods. (Sorry about the mixed metaphors! I know those drive teachers up a wall LOL)

And yes, I think I was very very lucky and that is all. My rheumatologist (who I really dislike because he doesn't even remember my case from one minute to the next) recommended my pedorthist to me, and it looks like for once he was right about something. I never even heard of pedorthists until then. Although my BC/BS health insurance didn't cover the pedorthist, I am saving my receipts and maybe I can write it off on my taxes.

Poor Rebecca! She waited so long for this appointment which makes it doubly disappointing.

Well, I'm off to ice my feet a little on bags of mixed veggies. That will feel nice. :)

Carole C

Re: Don't give up

Julie on 12/22/01 at 02:04 (067639)

Rebecca, this is ridiculous. $500 for orthotics that hurt, and a podiatrist who won't listen to you and won't order the tests you need? You've got to find another, and quickly.

Re-post your question on the Ask the Doctors board (they don't always read this one). Drs Reid and Kosova are in Chicago - I'm not sure exactly where you are, but it would be worth a journey or two to see them.

I suggest you also post about the orthotics on the Inserts/Orthotics/Shoes board. Richard or Brian should be able to give you some pointers on dealing with a guy who makes $500 inserts that he can't get right.

DON'T give up.

Re: Don't give up, they will win!

BrianG on 12/22/01 at 09:03 (067642)

Hi Rebecca,

How long have you had the orthotics? If you can't wear them, why not try to return them for cash. I don't think I would want to take a chance of another set from the same company. I made that mistake early on. Two sets from the same company, both ice scrapers, both to hard to wear.

If they refuse to give a refund, you could try your state house. They usually have a consumer dept. that will try to help you. I'd also like to put in a plug for the orthotics that I've had since May, Sporthotics. Made by The Langer Biomechanics Group, Inc. They are semi-rigid, 3/4, and actually feel good. They haven't cured me, but I have no trouble wearing them, and the break in time was fairly short. I hope you get this taken care of soon, I know how frustrating it can be, believe me. Good luck

BCG

Re: YES ---- Dr. Marlene Reid is an excellent suggestion

Steve P on 12/22/01 at 10:52 (067644)

Dr. Marlene Reid & Dr. Kosova (forget his first name) are in the Chicago area & have posted on this board. Consider checking them out.

Best......Steve

rebecca on 12/23/01 at 14:24 (067693)

because I need my feet.

Julie on 12/24/01 at 02:45 (067725)

Good! I was really glad to see your post to Dr Reid and the exchange. Do go and see her. You need to be examined and advised and treated by a top class podiatrist.

I wish you luck and as happy a holiday season as possible.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/24/01 at 07:51 (067733)

Two suggestions: I know a C.Ped in Milwaukee, Dennis Janisse. His whole staff is very good. He is one of the pedorthists that taught me.

You can also go over to my web site at:

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SupportSt/metatarsalgia/

Scroll down to the links section and look for the link titled 'locate a c.ped'. Then follow the instructions.
Good Luck!!
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/24/01 at 07:52 (067734)

Good Lord!! Did you say $500.00??????
Richard

rebecca h on 12/24/01 at 14:34 (067751)

Yes. They are called DynaSport. The Foot and Ankle Health Center to which I went has a 'Foot Orthotic Agreement' which reads like this:

Patient Name______________________________________

The fee for orthotic devices is $527.00. A deposit of $75.00 is required before the impressions are sent to the laboratory for construchtion.

This fee for the orthotic devices includes the following:
1. Casting.
2. Biomechanical Evaluation.
3. Laboratory fee for the construction of the device.
4. Proper fitting of the device.
5. Adjustment of the orthotic.
6. Follow-up examination for 1 (one) year
7. Proper foot support as needed until orthotics are dispensed.
8. Does Not include initial examination, x-rays or previous foot care.

The orthotics are your financial responsibility . If you have insurance, we will gladly submit the cahrges to them. Any insurance payments made will be applied to your account.

It takes approximately 2-4 weeks for the laboratory to construcht the orthotics, which are custom made specifically for your feet. We will contact you when the orthotics are completed so you can arrange for an appointment to have the orthotics fitted by the doctor. Directions for the proper use and care of the orthotics will be dispensed at that time also.

When you choose to have orthotics made, you are agreeing to the above terms.
I have been completely informed of the charges resulting form the casting, and I completely understand the fees and terms quoted to me.

PATIENT'S SIGNATURE____________________________________
WITNESS_________________________________DATE

Well, that's about it. I signed it and maybe its not a bad deal considering the adjustment and follow up???? I have no idea. I FEEL like I am legally bound to keep the orthotics and work with the doctor to get them right! (but at this point I would rather have the money!!!) I WOULD REALLY VALUE YOUR OPINION!

Thanks,
rebecca h

rebecca h on 12/24/01 at 14:43 (067752)

Do you have to be sent to a C.Ped. by a Podiatrist? Or can you just go?

Nancy N on 12/24/01 at 15:58 (067756)

Rebecca--

This is just my experience; the particulars may vary by state. I am in New Jersey.

I got my first pair of orthotics from my podiatrist. He sent them out to a lab and what I got for my money (which I didn't need to pay and should have been covered by insurance, and they still haven't reimbursed me for--don't get me started!) was unmitigated crap. 3/4 length, hard as rocks, and made my feet feel even worse than they did before.

So... after going in and having them give me another set of injections, supposedly to help me adjust (!), tape stuff to the bottom of the orthotics to raise them, etc... they told me I would have to have surgery because it was the only thing left (this was in the spring of 2000, and when I mentioned ESWT, they looked at me like I had six heads). I tried an orthopedist and got much the same reaction there, which was incredibly frustrating. This board was the only thing that had me convinced I wasn't nuts and didn't want surgery by the fall, when I got into the FDA study for the OrthoWave (and got the placebo).

All this is by way of giving you a brief sense of my history. I wanted to get orthotics during the study, which lasted for six months, but wasn't allowed to because it would have made my participation difficult to gauge. I wasn't convinced that orthotics would do much for my feet but since I do overpronate, I was worried about long-term effects on my knees/hips/back/etc. But I had no podiatrist to work with (having summarily ditched the first outfit after the first orthotic experience).

I went to Richard's page in February of this year and found a local CPed, because I was convinced that I was never going to get anything that was right if I went through the Pods office (obviously, this varies by podiatrist, but once was enough for me!). I called him up and we discussed the particulars for a while, and he told me that the state of New Jersey requires a prescription before he is allowed to mold any part of the body. I asked him if I could go to my PCP and get one, and he said that would be fine, so that's what I did. I briefly explained the situation and she did look slightly confused about why I wasn't going through a pods office, but she wrote me the prescription, which only had to say 'Custom orthotics.'

After that, it's all been worked out between me, and the CPed, who has been fantastic to me. And his orthotics worked wonders for my feet. It was essentially a matter of me just taking control of the situation and doing what I needed to do to get what I needed. I may just have been lucky, I don't know. I don't know what other states require. But I would definitely recommend finding a good CPed (and I would take along Richard's list of questions before going ahead with the process--I gave my CPed 'the quiz' and when he passed, I knew I had a good shot at success and was willing to take the risk. And I'm really glad I did.

So--I would find out who's in your area, and then get in touch with them. Richard has a link on his page that lets you search, I think by Zip code. If you find someone, give them a call and see if they pass the quiz, and find out if you need a prescription or not.

Good luck to you!!

Nancy

DR Zuckerman on 12/24/01 at 16:42 (067758)

This might not be a bad deal if the follow up visits are included for one year. The problem is that your insurance may not cover the orthosis but they will cover the follow up visits and adjustment visits. So ask the doctor to bill the insurance company for each visit that you go to their office. The average office visit is $45. This may cover the entire pair of orthosis. In addition alot of insurance companies pay for the casting . That is another $50-$100 dollars

BrianG on 12/24/01 at 20:43 (067765)

That #4 on your contract doesn't seem to have been met, does it. I went to a search engine and typed in 'Illinois Consumer Protection'. I found these numbers, which are out of the IL Attorney General's Office. I think if you give them a call, they can advise you about getting your money back. Take your choice:
Chicago - 800-386-5438
Springfield - 800-243-0618
Carbondale - 800-243-0607

If they can't give you an answer, I'm sure they can refer you. What the heck, it's a free call !!! Good luck

BCG

DR Zuckerman on 12/24/01 at 21:30 (067766)

Why don't you just ask the podiatrist to refund your money and that you can't wear the inserts. In the state of New Jersey the complaint form asks you what you have done to resolve the problem. They may just say hey you aren't happy here is your money or they may say ok lets try another type of orthosis.

If you report the podiatrist's office he is then going to get very defensive and you then may have to sue him and then the money will go to the lawyers. So try a common sense approach first.

I have a form in my office that states there is no guarantee that you will get relief from the orthosis. I still refund the orthosis if patients can't weart them . With orthosis there are going to be some pateints that just can't be helped with orthosis. This is one of the reason they are so expensive there is a mark up to allow for either a refund or making a second pair or at least that they way I think it should be.

Good luck .

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 00:28 (067770)

I don't want to sue anyone. (Never have, never will.) Conflict wears me down and stresses me out.... I just want my feet to stop hurting, that's all..... I'm so very tired of being in constant pain. I am going to re-read everything and think carefully and talk to my husband before my next move. Seems like I've got alot of options. It's a bit confusing.

(And the podiatrist may be a pretty good one who is helping alot of people's feet feel better. But not mine. Not yet anyway. Maybe he hasn't seen a case like mine and doesn't understand how much I'm hurting.)

Thank you Brian, Dr. Zuckerman and everyone for your concern. And Brian-thank you for looking up those numbers.

Re: Nancy

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 00:32 (067771)

I sure appreciate your sharing your story with me. Richard told me about a good Pedorthist in Milwaukee. Now I have to decide whether to go to him or to go to Dr. Reid first. She's about 2 hours south of me. Milwaukee is about an hour north.

Julie on 12/25/01 at 02:28 (067772)

Rebecca, in case it helps you to make a decision, this is what I think.

You may or may not need a pedorthist: as Dr Z says, some people and some conditions are not going to be helped by orthosis. Even when orthotics are helpful, they are just one aspect of a comprehensive healing plan.

You do need a podiatrist, because you need a proper diagnosis.You have a couple of things going on with your feet and you need to be examined, evaluated and correctly diagnosed so that their cause(s) can be identified and then addressed. You haven't had a proper diagnosis: your pod says 'PF', but doesn't know why you have forefoot pain and doesn't seem to be interested in finding out why.

So I think you should go to Dr Reid first and get going on a comprehensive treatment plan that is right for you. If you also need to see a pedorthist, she will tell you.

As for the unsatisfactory orthotics you now have, I think Dr Z and Brian have given you very good advice.

Merry Christmas, and a foot-happy 2002. (It has to be a good year: it's a palindrome, and there won't be another until 2112.)

Nancy N on 12/25/01 at 06:37 (067773)

Rebecca--

I agree with what Julie has said here. Certainly, if you end up with a good diagnosis you are armed with good information, and that is the thing you need most. I had been dealing with PF for almost two years when I went out on my own in search of good orthotics, and I had also discussed it with the orthopedist I saw for the OrthoWave study.

So--don't be afraid to go do what you need to do when you get to that point. But you may not be to that point yet, so do see what you can learn from Dr. Reid, and then go from there.

Good luck!

Nancy

BrianG on 12/25/01 at 10:19 (067777)

Hi Rebecca,

I'm not suggesting you sue, or report anyone. I'm just thinking you could make a phone call to find out what your rights are. And Dr Z. is correct, It probably would be good to go through the Pod first. I would just be careful about ordering another pair, by the same manufacturer. I hate legal action, just as much as the next person.

Merry Christmas
BCG

PS Have you talked to your Pod, of family doc about how much pain your in? There is so much available to help you. If you have time, take a look at this site: http://www.pain.com

rebecca h on 12/25/01 at 15:01 (067787)

Wow, cool website, Brian. I think this will help me communicate better, because within a 24 hour period and depending on how much ibuprofen or viox, the pain can range from quite tolerable (sitting with feet up just after a good foot massage and ice) to severe (having just taken a few steps a little too fast to catch a two-year old :-) who is escaping out the front door!)

Richard, C.Ped on 12/26/01 at 09:28 (067807)

Hi Rebecca...
You can just go to the pedorthist, but almost always, we will ask that you see a physician before we dispense anything. I compare a pedorthist to a pharmacist. They will not give you certain medications without a prescription. We will not either (some do, but they are the bad seeds).

A script for over the counter stuff is not needed. If I think there is a serious medical condition going on, I will not give someone an OTC product. I will refer them to their doctor and give the doc notes about what I found in their exam. I feel it is my job to supply the best possible device to relieve the pain.

Even though the docs around here trust our judgement, I would rather go ahead and have the patient see them first instead of just making the orthosis for them.

Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/26/01 at 09:35 (067809)

Rebecca...
I am not one for confrontation either, but when I pay for a service, I expect to receive the best possible service.

Example: If you go out to eat, and the food is bad, wouldn't you want your money back? I would. Same thing here. You paid money for a product that does not seem to be working.

I have some people that just can get used to their orthosis. I work with them until the device works. You have to look at more than their arch pain. You have to know where the pain is coming from and how to adjust that area.

Richard

rebecca h on 12/26/01 at 11:03 (067815)

You're right Richard. Funny thing is, if my children or husband or friend is being unfairly treated I can be a fightin' tiger for them. Just have a hard time doing it for myself.