Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

just wondering....

Posted by DW on 12/22/01 at 10:50 (067643)

I seem to have had a slight setback the last couple days. Pain is back in the suture area and in the heel/outer edge, but I think it might be because I was up too much, trying to get things done for Chrismtas. I 'listened' and took the last 2 days VERY easy....lots of time in the chair with ice and a book. What I'm wondering is....whenever I have my foot NOT elevated, sitting at the table, going from one room to another, it feels very 'stretched' and slightly swollen and red, I'm sure from blood circulation. Is this fairly normal in the course of recovery? And how long til the foot can just be down for any part of the day without my toes looking like little sausages? It seems I've always got to get it elevated quickly to get rid of the tight, uncomfortable feeling. It's been 12 days since surgery now, and I'm still not putting weight on it. I cut back on the stretching too, once the pain started up again.
Thanks for all your help on this board. Recovery is a pain, in and of itself, but I still think I did the right thing. I just need to cultivate a little more patience......something that's VERY hard for me. :)
Dona

Re: just wondering....

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/22/01 at 11:38 (067645)

The red could nothing or it could be an infection. When was the last time your surgeon take a look at your foot and the sutures. Have someone take a look to be on the safe side

DW on 12/23/01 at 11:41 (067684)

Thanks, Dr. Z.....no, no redness at the incision, itself. That's not infected. The whole foot feels *full* and flushes a dull red whenever it's not elevated. It's kind of uncomfortable, and is quickly eliminated by elevating the foot again. I'm assuming it's due to circulation, and was just curious as to if this is a natural part of the healing and when I can expect to be able to have my foot down without the puffiness/redness. I saw the surgeon this last Monday (1 week post-surgery) and go back Jan. 3rd to have stitches removed.
Thanks again.
Dona

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/23/01 at 12:34 (067686)

Ok now I know what you are talking about. I have seen this. It is part of healing. If you have poor venous return you tend to see this longer and more oftern. May need to wear support stockings to help the viens get the edema out of the foot. Does get less and less with time but talk to your doctor about support stockings.

Julie on 12/23/01 at 13:48 (067690)

Dona, if slow venous return is the problem, you could try elevating not just your feet, but your the whole of your legs. This speeds the return of the blood through the veins back to the heart, and could help to reduce the edema.

Lie side on to a wall, with your hip up against it to it as possibl.
Swing your legs up to rest on the wall while moving your torso so that it's now at right angles to the wall.

Relax in the position for as long as you're comfortable (at least ten minutes at a time, as many times a day as you like).

To come out, bend your knees and roll over onto your side.

cindyp on 12/23/01 at 21:00 (067706)

I had that problem and mine took almost a month. TIme and patience and setting the leg itself up. Pain I know. Got on my nerves .

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/22/01 at 11:38 (067645)

The red could nothing or it could be an infection. When was the last time your surgeon take a look at your foot and the sutures. Have someone take a look to be on the safe side

DW on 12/23/01 at 11:41 (067684)

Thanks, Dr. Z.....no, no redness at the incision, itself. That's not infected. The whole foot feels *full* and flushes a dull red whenever it's not elevated. It's kind of uncomfortable, and is quickly eliminated by elevating the foot again. I'm assuming it's due to circulation, and was just curious as to if this is a natural part of the healing and when I can expect to be able to have my foot down without the puffiness/redness. I saw the surgeon this last Monday (1 week post-surgery) and go back Jan. 3rd to have stitches removed.
Thanks again.
Dona

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/23/01 at 12:34 (067686)

Ok now I know what you are talking about. I have seen this. It is part of healing. If you have poor venous return you tend to see this longer and more oftern. May need to wear support stockings to help the viens get the edema out of the foot. Does get less and less with time but talk to your doctor about support stockings.

Julie on 12/23/01 at 13:48 (067690)

Dona, if slow venous return is the problem, you could try elevating not just your feet, but your the whole of your legs. This speeds the return of the blood through the veins back to the heart, and could help to reduce the edema.

Lie side on to a wall, with your hip up against it to it as possibl.
Swing your legs up to rest on the wall while moving your torso so that it's now at right angles to the wall.

Relax in the position for as long as you're comfortable (at least ten minutes at a time, as many times a day as you like).

To come out, bend your knees and roll over onto your side.

cindyp on 12/23/01 at 21:00 (067706)

I had that problem and mine took almost a month. TIme and patience and setting the leg itself up. Pain I know. Got on my nerves .