Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post plantar fasciotomy foot pain

Posted by Gwen R. on 12/22/01 at 16:22 (067651)

I had plantar fassciotomy (open) with heel spur resection in Jsn 2001. I developed pain the the lateral aspect of my foot and hve had this pain now for about 9 months. My podiatrist sent me for P.T., took NSAIDS, night splint, and a cam-walker for 6-8 weeks. She also injected the lateral aspect of my foot. My orthotics have been readjusted may times. None of the above procedures has helped me. I am over weight by 55 lbs; my job demands long hours on my feet. Needless to say I am miserable. I can't believe I'll have to live with this forever, because I sure don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. My family Dr. recommended accupuncture and gave me a referral (my appt. is in Jan). My podiatrist thinks I should have an EMG of the affected lower extremity (my appt is in Feb).Is there any other help out there for me? I think my podiatrist has given up on me, she told me that most pt's respond quickly to this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: post plantar fasciotomy foot pain

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/22/01 at 17:07 (067653)

Is this pain on the lateral band of the plantar fascia. Is there any significant pain on the top of the foot or at the base of the peroneal brevis tendon. Need to know more specific information where the pain is ?

Gwen R. on 12/26/01 at 09:21 (067806)

Thank you for your response. The pain I have in the lateral aspect of my foot starts at the bony area and also involves the top of the foot. I also have arch pain on 'take-off' when I walk. This pain used to cause me a lot of deep muscle pain in my calf, but that has subsided.

Sandra T. on 12/31/01 at 17:47 (068267)

Gwen, I had the same surgery 4 yrs ago and as a result I had extreme pain along the outer, lateral aspect of my foot as well as pain just as severe on the top,starting at the base of my fourth toe. My doctor told me the top was tendonitis and that it would just take the other a long time to go away. He never offered me any other approach to it.
It took 2 yrs, but it did go away except on rare occasions. My arch still aches from time to time and the tendonitis flares up, too, but now I'm glad I had the surgery as I was in so much pain and on a constant basis prior to this. I had gone through multiple therapies with no relief. I was not into computers at that time. It would have benefited me had I been. I now have the other foot affected.
Good luck to you.
Sandra T

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/22/01 at 17:07 (067653)

Is this pain on the lateral band of the plantar fascia. Is there any significant pain on the top of the foot or at the base of the peroneal brevis tendon. Need to know more specific information where the pain is ?

Gwen R. on 12/26/01 at 09:21 (067806)

Thank you for your response. The pain I have in the lateral aspect of my foot starts at the bony area and also involves the top of the foot. I also have arch pain on 'take-off' when I walk. This pain used to cause me a lot of deep muscle pain in my calf, but that has subsided.

Sandra T. on 12/31/01 at 17:47 (068267)

Gwen, I had the same surgery 4 yrs ago and as a result I had extreme pain along the outer, lateral aspect of my foot as well as pain just as severe on the top,starting at the base of my fourth toe. My doctor told me the top was tendonitis and that it would just take the other a long time to go away. He never offered me any other approach to it.
It took 2 yrs, but it did go away except on rare occasions. My arch still aches from time to time and the tendonitis flares up, too, but now I'm glad I had the surgery as I was in so much pain and on a constant basis prior to this. I had gone through multiple therapies with no relief. I was not into computers at that time. It would have benefited me had I been. I now have the other foot affected.
Good luck to you.
Sandra T