Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

discard the orthotics?

Posted by Ellen J. on 12/22/01 at 22:35 (067667)

Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions from all of us P.F. sufferers!
I've had P.F. for 2 yrs., seen doctors, had P.Therapy, gotten custom orthotics, etc. Recently I had a bad experience trying some very 'arch-supportive' sandals and my P.F. foot got so sore from the arch support that I could hardly walk (previously I had been almost pain free).I put my regular shoes back on but still had residual pain from the sandal episode. After a couple of days of pain I took off my shoes and walked around on the wood floors in the house in my socks only. The pain magically disappeared.
I found that if I allowed my over-pronating flat feet to do their over-pronating thing, that my feet actually felt much better.
Am I dreaming, or should I stop with the foot support? I cannot wear heels at all by the way, as the downward pressure on the ball of the foot bows the fascia area and creates pain. I think a combination of squatiing many times a day to get into a bin along with wearing my favorite 1.5 inch heel boots caused the problem in the first place.
Mainly, my question is: Is there such a thing as 'no support' being the cure?
Thanks for any help.
Ellen Jareckie

PS. I was a runner until all this happened and hope to go back to my 3 mile runs.

Re: discard the orthotics?

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/23/01 at 09:44 (067676)

The answer to your question is yes. Sometimes it is better to not correct the over pronation in your feet. Especially since the pain has resolved. Be very careful with going back to running too soon. Are you sure the running didn't cause this. Stretching before and afte running is in important. I would go back to running until I am pain free for 4 weeks.

Avoid hills and uneven surfaces Good luck and Merry Christmas

Re: discard the orthotics?

Dr. Zuckeman on 12/23/01 at 09:44 (067676)

The answer to your question is yes. Sometimes it is better to not correct the over pronation in your feet. Especially since the pain has resolved. Be very careful with going back to running too soon. Are you sure the running didn't cause this. Stretching before and afte running is in important. I would go back to running until I am pain free for 4 weeks.

Avoid hills and uneven surfaces Good luck and Merry Christmas