Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesmoiditis-What are the options?

Posted by Barry R. on 12/25/01 at 20:36 (067795)

I was diagnosed with Sesmoiditis about 5 years ago. I was first given shoe inserts, which did nothing. Three months ago I started therapy. It seemed to be helping, but when I was not able to make an appointment for three weeks, the swelling and the pain returned. It bothers me most when I'm driving ( to the point that I often remove my shoes). Is surgery the next step?

Re: sesmoiditis-What are the options?

DR Zuckerman on 12/26/01 at 06:35 (067803)

Is the bone broken? A local steriod injection with off weight bearing inserts or paddding is very effective. If no relief then then removal of the bone is the best course of treatment. How did this happen.

BG CPed on 12/27/01 at 07:08 (067877)

you may also ask if you have a plantarflexed 1st metatarsal head. Many times that is very pronounced and hit the ground too early and leaves too late so it takes a beating. Did your orthotics have a circle cut out with softer material behind your big toe?. I would also got to a good athletic shoe or pedorthic shoe store and have them measure your arch length to see if it varies from the size shoe you have been buying. See lots of sesamoid probs in a shoe that is bending and widest point 1 to 2 sizes off from arch measurment.

It can feel like having a pebble in your shoe. good luck

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 09:27 (067965)

Good suggestions Brian...
I have had wonderful success with full length orthosis along with visco elastic polymer unter the first met.
Richard

DR Zuckerman on 12/26/01 at 06:35 (067803)

Is the bone broken? A local steriod injection with off weight bearing inserts or paddding is very effective. If no relief then then removal of the bone is the best course of treatment. How did this happen.

BG CPed on 12/27/01 at 07:08 (067877)

you may also ask if you have a plantarflexed 1st metatarsal head. Many times that is very pronounced and hit the ground too early and leaves too late so it takes a beating. Did your orthotics have a circle cut out with softer material behind your big toe?. I would also got to a good athletic shoe or pedorthic shoe store and have them measure your arch length to see if it varies from the size shoe you have been buying. See lots of sesamoid probs in a shoe that is bending and widest point 1 to 2 sizes off from arch measurment.

It can feel like having a pebble in your shoe. good luck

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 09:27 (067965)

Good suggestions Brian...
I have had wonderful success with full length orthosis along with visco elastic polymer unter the first met.
Richard