Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

despite good plans... Christmas did me in!

Posted by Beverly on 12/26/01 at 12:49 (067823)

Hi gang,

Despite my stratagies for simplifying the Christmas dinner, I am totally done in. By the time my family left, I wanted to break down and cry in the middle of the floor.

I ordered the dinner take out style, but it came in plastic containers that had to be transferred to tin pans to reheat. Well, you know Christmas comes with plenty of food: dressing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, vegetable, wild rice,rolls, pie, cranberry sause... half of this I can't eat since I'm allergic to sugar and yeast, but the men of my family were happy. (Not married but I have a Dad and brother who don't know what the kitchen is. I'm the only woman.)

And there was setting the table, even with disposables. Men who don't think to take their plates to the kitchen. ...

I was doing ok until we got to dessert. Dad did dutifully take out the trash. Without his 'special' knife, carving the turkey was like something out of the three stooges. It went like this: 'What do I put the meat on?' Dad, here's a carving board.'
'Beverly, this board isn't big enough.'
Well, Dad, here's a plate.'
'Where do I put the skin?'
'In the trash. Here is the trash can.'

Bless his heart. He was trying but it's just not his forte. So, I might as well have just carved the thing myself.

After they left, I was barely walking. I didn't want to ruin Christmas; so I didn't tell them I was done it. I mean, by the time I realized it we were already to dessert.

So, I'm back on ice... Did the dishes sitting on a stool. I'm glad Christmas is over. I wish more places were open Christmas day for lunch.

How did the rest of you survive the feast?
Beverly

Re: despite good plans... Christmas did me in!

nancy s. on 12/26/01 at 14:28 (067828)

beverly, if you host christmas again, you've got to lay down the law, woman! the guys do the work, including cleaning up; you just provide the dining room and call the caterer. wear two night splints the whole time the guys are there.
i hope your setback is short, bev.
nancy

john h on 12/26/01 at 14:55 (067831)

Did I hear someone call my name? 'the guys do the work'! Hire me I work for free and am good company. Just throw me a bone and let me watch football is all I ask.

Laurie R on 12/26/01 at 15:55 (067836)

Dear Beverly , Frist off , I am so sorry you are in bad pain again . Your dad sounds so sweet , maybe he just wanted to make sure he was doing everything right .. I miss my dad everyday , but around the holidays of course is the hardest for me . He passed away 11 years ago in the month of Nov .... He cooked and cleaned like you would not believe ... He is the one that taught me to cook .... His whole family was from Italy ... Oh how I miss him.... He is always in my heart .... When you were talking about your dad , it just warmed my heart..

I agree with Nancy , you are going to have to let them do everything next time ... Put thoes night splints on and just lay there ... I love that one Nancy , and it would work ...

I also over did it , but this time it was well worth it , just to see my kids so very happy ,and Rico too. This has been such a very hard year for my family , but things are getting better .... Rico is in the middle of treatment for a medical problem and he is doing wonderful .. That alone made my Christmas ... The best gifts in life do not come in a box ...

I hope you get the rest your poor feet need ... I with ya right along side . We just finished cleaning the mess up from yesterday . My house is all in order now , just the way I like it ... Everyone helped . I did way to much , but it is my time to rest now and it is all done ...

I hope you feel better soon Beverly ...

Laurie R

Beverly on 12/26/01 at 16:38 (067837)

You all are a hoot! I can just see myself lounging on the sofa next year wearing nightsplints! Nancy, you always know how to make me laugh, and John, if you really do help in the kitchen, you are a rare babyboomer guy!

Laurie, you are right about missing parents who have gone on to be with God at Christmastime. Mother passed away in 1996, and there are so many things I wish I'd gotten to share with her. That's why I hosted Christmas dinner - to have that time with Dad. He's 79.

It may be that next year I get Dad to have it at his house. I think in his own kitchen, he would have been fine heating up the takeout. Dad has been so supportive to me throughtout the PF/PTT/AT. He pays for half my massage and way too many shoes. My choices would be much more limited without his help. More than that, he's listened to me on down days.

I am recouping with a paper turner triology... historical fiction set in 18th century Scotland... time travel twist. A real 'bodice ripper!' It's the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. Each book is over 700 pages and there are four in the series. That should keep me occupied for awhile.

Thanks for all your warm words.
Beverly

nancy s. on 12/26/01 at 17:19 (067841)

actually, beverly, if john speaks the truth he not only does the kitchen work but everything else that needs doing in the house (laundry, vacuuming, changing kitty litter box, knocking down intruders, giving his wife fifty credit cards to shop with, etc.). i say invite him next year and pay his way -- he'll be well worth it!
nancy

Suzanne D on 12/26/01 at 17:26 (067844)

Dear Beverly,

I am sorry that you are in worse pain right now. I hope the rest and relaxation while reading will fix you right up!

I am finding out that it doesn't take much out of the usual routine to 'do me in' - somewhat of a surprise although I don't know why it should have caught me off guard! I guess we always tend to think that if we just try hard enough we can do whatever we set our minds to do! Then reality sets in... :-)

I am glad you were able to enjoy the day with your father. I've said it in too many posts now (sorry), but both my parents are dead, and I DO miss them. I am happy to hear anyone be able to have a nice holiday with their loved ones! And your father sounds like a caring and compassionate man to support you in your 'foot troubles'. I am sure he was proud to come share Christmas with you!

Get plenty of rest, and I hope to hear that soon you are feeling much better! Take care...

Re: Outlander

wendyn on 12/26/01 at 20:51 (067857)

Beverly - my favorite series!

I am working on the Fiery Cross right now.

Diana Gabaldon will be in our City in about 2 weeks, some friends and I are going to a reading and book signing.

Which book are you working on?

Sweet dreams of tall read headed men in kilts....(sigh)

Necee on 12/26/01 at 23:31 (067862)

Hi Beverly,

I'm so sorry that you had a hectic Christmas day. I do hope that by now you have recovered and are taking care of those feet. I decided way before Christmas that I wasn't getting all involved in the 'cooking thing'.
I wanted to rest my feet as much as possible, so I didn't cook except for what I took to my brothers house Christmas day.

Take time to rest Beverly and hopefully you'll be feeling better real soon.
I wish you all the best.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: LETS ALL GO TO JOHN'S HOUSE NEXT YEAR!!!!

Necee on 12/26/01 at 23:38 (067864)

I suggest that all us gals head to John's house next year for Christmas!
We sure wouldn't mind letting 'Mrs Doubtfire' do the cooking and cleaning! Wouldn't that be great?
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Beverly on 12/27/01 at 12:59 (067894)

Wendy,

I'm reading 'Dragonfly in Amber.' Got out of sequence by accident and read 'Vogager' after 'Outlander.'
If you like the Outlander series, you might like 'Knight Errant.' It's a time travel set in the late middle ages in England.
If I could find more books this good, I'd never mind being stuck in the house.
It sure would make a great movie, but I can't think of any current star who could carry off Jamie's role.

See ya,
Beverly

wendyn on 12/27/01 at 14:09 (067901)

There is ONE that I know of.

Can't remember his name but he used to play the bar tender on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:27 (067908)

yes indeed Beverly John does all Nancy says I do and then some. Probably a lot of military training behind all this. My bed is still made in a military manner (some of you nurses would call it a hospital bed).All my shoes are lined up neatly and shinned and all my clothes are spaced neatly and properly in the closet, Mary made me throw away my white gloves for dust inspections a long time ago and said if you want to do it then do it. So I made my own bed and now must sleep in it.

nancy s. on 12/26/01 at 14:28 (067828)

beverly, if you host christmas again, you've got to lay down the law, woman! the guys do the work, including cleaning up; you just provide the dining room and call the caterer. wear two night splints the whole time the guys are there.
i hope your setback is short, bev.
nancy

john h on 12/26/01 at 14:55 (067831)

Did I hear someone call my name? 'the guys do the work'! Hire me I work for free and am good company. Just throw me a bone and let me watch football is all I ask.

Laurie R on 12/26/01 at 15:55 (067836)

Dear Beverly , Frist off , I am so sorry you are in bad pain again . Your dad sounds so sweet , maybe he just wanted to make sure he was doing everything right .. I miss my dad everyday , but around the holidays of course is the hardest for me . He passed away 11 years ago in the month of Nov .... He cooked and cleaned like you would not believe ... He is the one that taught me to cook .... His whole family was from Italy ... Oh how I miss him.... He is always in my heart .... When you were talking about your dad , it just warmed my heart..

I agree with Nancy , you are going to have to let them do everything next time ... Put thoes night splints on and just lay there ... I love that one Nancy , and it would work ...

I also over did it , but this time it was well worth it , just to see my kids so very happy ,and Rico too. This has been such a very hard year for my family , but things are getting better .... Rico is in the middle of treatment for a medical problem and he is doing wonderful .. That alone made my Christmas ... The best gifts in life do not come in a box ...

I hope you get the rest your poor feet need ... I with ya right along side . We just finished cleaning the mess up from yesterday . My house is all in order now , just the way I like it ... Everyone helped . I did way to much , but it is my time to rest now and it is all done ...

I hope you feel better soon Beverly ...

Laurie R

Beverly on 12/26/01 at 16:38 (067837)

You all are a hoot! I can just see myself lounging on the sofa next year wearing nightsplints! Nancy, you always know how to make me laugh, and John, if you really do help in the kitchen, you are a rare babyboomer guy!

Laurie, you are right about missing parents who have gone on to be with God at Christmastime. Mother passed away in 1996, and there are so many things I wish I'd gotten to share with her. That's why I hosted Christmas dinner - to have that time with Dad. He's 79.

It may be that next year I get Dad to have it at his house. I think in his own kitchen, he would have been fine heating up the takeout. Dad has been so supportive to me throughtout the PF/PTT/AT. He pays for half my massage and way too many shoes. My choices would be much more limited without his help. More than that, he's listened to me on down days.

I am recouping with a paper turner triology... historical fiction set in 18th century Scotland... time travel twist. A real 'bodice ripper!' It's the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon. Each book is over 700 pages and there are four in the series. That should keep me occupied for awhile.

Thanks for all your warm words.
Beverly

nancy s. on 12/26/01 at 17:19 (067841)

actually, beverly, if john speaks the truth he not only does the kitchen work but everything else that needs doing in the house (laundry, vacuuming, changing kitty litter box, knocking down intruders, giving his wife fifty credit cards to shop with, etc.). i say invite him next year and pay his way -- he'll be well worth it!
nancy

Suzanne D on 12/26/01 at 17:26 (067844)

Dear Beverly,

I am sorry that you are in worse pain right now. I hope the rest and relaxation while reading will fix you right up!

I am finding out that it doesn't take much out of the usual routine to 'do me in' - somewhat of a surprise although I don't know why it should have caught me off guard! I guess we always tend to think that if we just try hard enough we can do whatever we set our minds to do! Then reality sets in... :-)

I am glad you were able to enjoy the day with your father. I've said it in too many posts now (sorry), but both my parents are dead, and I DO miss them. I am happy to hear anyone be able to have a nice holiday with their loved ones! And your father sounds like a caring and compassionate man to support you in your 'foot troubles'. I am sure he was proud to come share Christmas with you!

Get plenty of rest, and I hope to hear that soon you are feeling much better! Take care...

wendyn on 12/26/01 at 20:51 (067857)

Beverly - my favorite series!

I am working on the Fiery Cross right now.

Diana Gabaldon will be in our City in about 2 weeks, some friends and I are going to a reading and book signing.

Which book are you working on?

Sweet dreams of tall read headed men in kilts....(sigh)

Necee on 12/26/01 at 23:31 (067862)

Hi Beverly,

I'm so sorry that you had a hectic Christmas day. I do hope that by now you have recovered and are taking care of those feet. I decided way before Christmas that I wasn't getting all involved in the 'cooking thing'.
I wanted to rest my feet as much as possible, so I didn't cook except for what I took to my brothers house Christmas day.

Take time to rest Beverly and hopefully you'll be feeling better real soon.
I wish you all the best.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: LETS ALL GO TO JOHN'S HOUSE NEXT YEAR!!!!

Necee on 12/26/01 at 23:38 (067864)

I suggest that all us gals head to John's house next year for Christmas!
We sure wouldn't mind letting 'Mrs Doubtfire' do the cooking and cleaning! Wouldn't that be great?
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Beverly on 12/27/01 at 12:59 (067894)

Wendy,

I'm reading 'Dragonfly in Amber.' Got out of sequence by accident and read 'Vogager' after 'Outlander.'
If you like the Outlander series, you might like 'Knight Errant.' It's a time travel set in the late middle ages in England.
If I could find more books this good, I'd never mind being stuck in the house.
It sure would make a great movie, but I can't think of any current star who could carry off Jamie's role.

See ya,
Beverly

wendyn on 12/27/01 at 14:09 (067901)

There is ONE that I know of.

Can't remember his name but he used to play the bar tender on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:27 (067908)

yes indeed Beverly John does all Nancy says I do and then some. Probably a lot of military training behind all this. My bed is still made in a military manner (some of you nurses would call it a hospital bed).All my shoes are lined up neatly and shinned and all my clothes are spaced neatly and properly in the closet, Mary made me throw away my white gloves for dust inspections a long time ago and said if you want to do it then do it. So I made my own bed and now must sleep in it.