Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur surgery

Posted by Rhonda on 12/26/01 at 21:17 (067859)

I am scheduled for heel spur surgery next week and am a little nervous a about it. My biggest fear is the anesthesia. I am not going to have general but local and still a bit nervous moreso about that than the actual surgery. WIll the actual surgery last more than a couple hours? My doctor has answered my concerns but I would like to hear from someone who has actuall had heel spur surgery.

Re: Local, it's a good way to go !

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 18:39 (067927)

Hi Rhonda,

I had EPF surgery with a local. The surgery lasted about .5 hour, and I never felt a thing for about 18 hours. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll feel your leg being plulled a little as they move it, but no pain. I also had a little IV Valium and Versed just before the local injection. I never felt the needle stick!

I'd be more concerned about possible pain 'after' the local wears off. I asked my doc for a script for pain meds well in advance. I filled it the day before the surgery, which was smart thinking. If you do take some pain meds, try to start taking them before the local wears off. Then take them every 4-6 hours once you start, for as long as the doctor allows it. It's much easier to keep the pain under control this way, rather than letting the pain spike up, then trying to get it back down. You'll do fine, not to worry.

BCG

Re: Local, it's a good way to go !

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 18:39 (067927)

Hi Rhonda,

I had EPF surgery with a local. The surgery lasted about .5 hour, and I never felt a thing for about 18 hours. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll feel your leg being plulled a little as they move it, but no pain. I also had a little IV Valium and Versed just before the local injection. I never felt the needle stick!

I'd be more concerned about possible pain 'after' the local wears off. I asked my doc for a script for pain meds well in advance. I filled it the day before the surgery, which was smart thinking. If you do take some pain meds, try to start taking them before the local wears off. Then take them every 4-6 hours once you start, for as long as the doctor allows it. It's much easier to keep the pain under control this way, rather than letting the pain spike up, then trying to get it back down. You'll do fine, not to worry.

BCG