Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is working today

Posted by john h on 12/27/01 at 09:40 (067884)

From time to time different things help PF while at others the same thing has no effect. This week I have been taping my feet with the simple two strip taping method (devised by scott and pushed by julie) and my feet have been at a pain level of 1 or less. I no longer try to figure out why but just take what ever falls in my lap. I surely do recommed the Lueko Tape. Have been walking about 2 miles. Local TV showed a patient receiving a treatment with the Ossatron and discussed this new treatment. I noticed the patient had a lot of grease like substance on their foot. What is this all about? Is this part of the protocol?

Re: What is working today

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/27/01 at 10:52 (067888)

It is ultrasound gel. It is needed to transmit the mechanical energy from the membrane into the foot.

Julie on 12/27/01 at 10:55 (067889)

John, one of the many things I love about you is your long memory - you always give credit where it's due! If I really pushed you into taping, and it has helped, I am delighted. Scott probably is too - I seem to recall a cry of woe from him (I think in one of the earlier incarnations of the heel pain book) that as much as he tried to encourage people to tape, hardly anyone did.

Yes, it's more trouble than popping a pill or sitting with your foot on a bag of frozen peas, but it really can help.

Maybe if you and I keep harping on about it others will be tempted to try this simple and effective healing-as-well-as-pain-relieving technique.

nancy s. on 12/27/01 at 14:45 (067902)

julie and john, this is going to sound ridiculous, but for months (or years?) i've been reading your posts about taping with my eyes glazed over, since for some martian reason i thought taping would never apply to me.
and maybe it doesn't, since i'm much better -- but i'm not perfect (no, really!!!) -- and today for the first time it hit me that perhaps taping would help a situation that still bothers me.
i wear my nb athletic shoes for walks, and they feel absolutely great as long as i keep on walking and do it at a good (energetic) pace. but if i stop and talk to someone, or come home and instead of changing to birks keep the nb's on and do chores that make me walk more slowly, my heels get sore and fragile-feeling -- that 'about-to-break glass' feeling. so i do always get back into the blessed birks, but there are times i'd like to stay in the nb's (e.g., i know i'd like to wear them when i set up my shop and go up and down ladders, etc.).
do you think taping before putting on my athletic shoes would allow me to wear them for a longer time and for less energetic back-and-forth walking?
can you believe i'm asking this after all this time? and if you guys say yes it might help, i wonder which of your five hundred helpful posts about your simple taping method i can go back to and study (instead of asking you to repeat it Again).
thanks for your thoughts!
nancy the ninny. and oh yes, i'd need to get that leuko tape too.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:10 (067905)

Julie: it now takes me about two minutes to apply the tape to both feet. It is so simple my guess is many people are using methods that take a long time and which are easy to tire of. I really think the quality of the tape matters also. The Leuko goes on and comes off easy without much residue. I am beging to rank the taping right up there with birks as something that helps. If you try to do some elaborate tape job I would think you could possible make your feet hurt more. Keep it simple as you say.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:19 (067906)

Nancy: as i type i have my New Balance 853's on with tape. As to the method: run one strip of 1 1/2' tape from the base of your big toe straight back to the heel. The edge of my tape actually barely goes around the inside edge of the foot. Run the tape up the back of the heel perhaps 1/2'. Run one more strip of tape from the base of the little toe straight back to the heel and just up the back of the heel about 1/2'. This strip will be touching or just around the outside of the foot. Since you are using 1 1/2' tape when the strips reach the heel they will almost cover the entire heel. I apply my tape with my foot just slightly dorsiflexed. You will need to experiment to see whether you want to apply it with your foot in neutral position or slightly dorsiflexed as this will create more or less tension on the tape.

Julie on 12/27/01 at 15:51 (067913)

Nancy, try it! It can't hurt, and it might help. (I too find standing and walking slowly a trial sometimes, even now - that's why I still keep a pair of Birks in my teaching room.)

Try the two-strip method as described by John. I would suggest you start with your foot in neutral. You may find, as I do, that with the foot dorsiflexed even slightly there is too much tension in the tape when you stand up. (Our John is a big strong he-man and can probably take a bit more tension than we can.) Anyway - neutral is the best place to start. You can always tighten up a bit if it's too loose. When you stand, there needs to be enough tension in the tape to provide support (you'll feel that instantly if it's right) but not so much that it's painful (you'll know how that feels right away too).

Get the Leuko tape. It IS good: strong, and keeps its tension. John likes the flesh-coloured tape; I've never seen it and have always used the white. (I wish you lived next door so I could give you one of the rolls I stocked up on just before I realized I didn't need it any more!) I remember Scott saying the tape he used loses its tension after half an hour of walking - Leuko tape doesn't. It's lasted me for hours of walking - sometimes a full day. It does leave residue (at least I found it did) but that is easily removed with cotton and lighter fluid. There are sprays you can spray on before applying the tape that may help with that as well as with better adhering.

It would be good to get used to taping now (if it helps) before you open the shop - when you're likely to be standing a lot more than you have been.

John, I agree. People don't realize how simple it can be. When they see the word ' taping' their minds automatically go to the way their pods encased their feet in yards of tape - a suit of foot-armour that they probably kept on for a week and that stank when they took it off or it fell off. Effective, yes - but expensive, difficult, time-consuming, and ultimately off-putting.

Listen everybody. Taping can be SIMPLE and QUICK! Try it.

EOM

Re: Medical deduction?

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 17:40 (067924)

I've been meaning to ask this question or a while now. Here in the US, can we take the tape off our income taxes, add it in to our medical deductions? I know I can add it, but is it legal? :*)

BCG

John h on 12/27/01 at 18:58 (067929)

Brian: It takes a lot of deductions to reach the point where the medical deduction kicks in (based on your income). I am no CPA but I deduct such items as tape for medical purposes and if the IRS questions it I will abide by their decision.

DR Zuckerman on 12/27/01 at 21:10 (067936)

Ok,

I have played lawyer, podiatrist and now accountant. I think it is anything over 7.5% of your gross earning. Translation alot of money has to be spent to get this deduction.

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 21:54 (067938)

Unfortunatly I should hit the 7.5% pretty easily. I have crummy medical and dental insurance, plus I only worked 10 months this year. Only thing is, I didn't save any reciepts for tape this year. I bet I spent at least $100, or more, on tape in 2001.

I will save ALL receipts in 02, from tape, to laxatives (suggested by my doctor to conteract the pain meds side effects :*) And what about all those athletic shoes we all have to buy? And all the OTC orthotics, pain pills, lotions and rubs? My word, does it ever end!

BCG

nancy s. on 12/28/01 at 09:12 (067962)

thank you, john and julie. you're so nice to repeat these things and not even sound like i'm a pain in the neck! i'm going to try it, and i'll let you know how it works out. i do need simple, and it sounds as though it couldn't be any simpler.
thanks again,
nancy

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:35 (067967)

You? A pain in the neck? What's got into you, Nancy!? I'd repeat it again for you if you asked. Actually, I'm on a soapbox as regards taping, as I guess you know by now after x thousand repeats. But I don't care how like a broken record I sound, I'd like everyone to give it a go, because it can be SO helpful. And the simple method really is simple.

Happy taping, and I hope it helps you.

john h on 12/28/01 at 09:45 (067971)

Dr. Z: If you have a couple of Ossatron treatments that are not covered by insurance you will pass that threshold even if you make a lot of money.

DR Zuckerman on 12/28/01 at 17:12 (068018)

Boy how true !!!

pam s on 1/07/02 at 21:49 (069138)

would taping also help Post Tib tendonitis?
Pam

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/27/01 at 10:52 (067888)

It is ultrasound gel. It is needed to transmit the mechanical energy from the membrane into the foot.

Julie on 12/27/01 at 10:55 (067889)

John, one of the many things I love about you is your long memory - you always give credit where it's due! If I really pushed you into taping, and it has helped, I am delighted. Scott probably is too - I seem to recall a cry of woe from him (I think in one of the earlier incarnations of the heel pain book) that as much as he tried to encourage people to tape, hardly anyone did.

Yes, it's more trouble than popping a pill or sitting with your foot on a bag of frozen peas, but it really can help.

Maybe if you and I keep harping on about it others will be tempted to try this simple and effective healing-as-well-as-pain-relieving technique.

nancy s. on 12/27/01 at 14:45 (067902)

julie and john, this is going to sound ridiculous, but for months (or years?) i've been reading your posts about taping with my eyes glazed over, since for some martian reason i thought taping would never apply to me.
and maybe it doesn't, since i'm much better -- but i'm not perfect (no, really!!!) -- and today for the first time it hit me that perhaps taping would help a situation that still bothers me.
i wear my nb athletic shoes for walks, and they feel absolutely great as long as i keep on walking and do it at a good (energetic) pace. but if i stop and talk to someone, or come home and instead of changing to birks keep the nb's on and do chores that make me walk more slowly, my heels get sore and fragile-feeling -- that 'about-to-break glass' feeling. so i do always get back into the blessed birks, but there are times i'd like to stay in the nb's (e.g., i know i'd like to wear them when i set up my shop and go up and down ladders, etc.).
do you think taping before putting on my athletic shoes would allow me to wear them for a longer time and for less energetic back-and-forth walking?
can you believe i'm asking this after all this time? and if you guys say yes it might help, i wonder which of your five hundred helpful posts about your simple taping method i can go back to and study (instead of asking you to repeat it Again).
thanks for your thoughts!
nancy the ninny. and oh yes, i'd need to get that leuko tape too.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:10 (067905)

Julie: it now takes me about two minutes to apply the tape to both feet. It is so simple my guess is many people are using methods that take a long time and which are easy to tire of. I really think the quality of the tape matters also. The Leuko goes on and comes off easy without much residue. I am beging to rank the taping right up there with birks as something that helps. If you try to do some elaborate tape job I would think you could possible make your feet hurt more. Keep it simple as you say.

john h on 12/27/01 at 15:19 (067906)

Nancy: as i type i have my New Balance 853's on with tape. As to the method: run one strip of 1 1/2' tape from the base of your big toe straight back to the heel. The edge of my tape actually barely goes around the inside edge of the foot. Run the tape up the back of the heel perhaps 1/2'. Run one more strip of tape from the base of the little toe straight back to the heel and just up the back of the heel about 1/2'. This strip will be touching or just around the outside of the foot. Since you are using 1 1/2' tape when the strips reach the heel they will almost cover the entire heel. I apply my tape with my foot just slightly dorsiflexed. You will need to experiment to see whether you want to apply it with your foot in neutral position or slightly dorsiflexed as this will create more or less tension on the tape.

Julie on 12/27/01 at 15:51 (067913)

Nancy, try it! It can't hurt, and it might help. (I too find standing and walking slowly a trial sometimes, even now - that's why I still keep a pair of Birks in my teaching room.)

Try the two-strip method as described by John. I would suggest you start with your foot in neutral. You may find, as I do, that with the foot dorsiflexed even slightly there is too much tension in the tape when you stand up. (Our John is a big strong he-man and can probably take a bit more tension than we can.) Anyway - neutral is the best place to start. You can always tighten up a bit if it's too loose. When you stand, there needs to be enough tension in the tape to provide support (you'll feel that instantly if it's right) but not so much that it's painful (you'll know how that feels right away too).

Get the Leuko tape. It IS good: strong, and keeps its tension. John likes the flesh-coloured tape; I've never seen it and have always used the white. (I wish you lived next door so I could give you one of the rolls I stocked up on just before I realized I didn't need it any more!) I remember Scott saying the tape he used loses its tension after half an hour of walking - Leuko tape doesn't. It's lasted me for hours of walking - sometimes a full day. It does leave residue (at least I found it did) but that is easily removed with cotton and lighter fluid. There are sprays you can spray on before applying the tape that may help with that as well as with better adhering.

It would be good to get used to taping now (if it helps) before you open the shop - when you're likely to be standing a lot more than you have been.

John, I agree. People don't realize how simple it can be. When they see the word ' taping' their minds automatically go to the way their pods encased their feet in yards of tape - a suit of foot-armour that they probably kept on for a week and that stank when they took it off or it fell off. Effective, yes - but expensive, difficult, time-consuming, and ultimately off-putting.

Listen everybody. Taping can be SIMPLE and QUICK! Try it.

EOM

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 17:40 (067924)

I've been meaning to ask this question or a while now. Here in the US, can we take the tape off our income taxes, add it in to our medical deductions? I know I can add it, but is it legal? :*)

BCG

John h on 12/27/01 at 18:58 (067929)

Brian: It takes a lot of deductions to reach the point where the medical deduction kicks in (based on your income). I am no CPA but I deduct such items as tape for medical purposes and if the IRS questions it I will abide by their decision.

DR Zuckerman on 12/27/01 at 21:10 (067936)

Ok,

I have played lawyer, podiatrist and now accountant. I think it is anything over 7.5% of your gross earning. Translation alot of money has to be spent to get this deduction.

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 21:54 (067938)

Unfortunatly I should hit the 7.5% pretty easily. I have crummy medical and dental insurance, plus I only worked 10 months this year. Only thing is, I didn't save any reciepts for tape this year. I bet I spent at least $100, or more, on tape in 2001.

I will save ALL receipts in 02, from tape, to laxatives (suggested by my doctor to conteract the pain meds side effects :*) And what about all those athletic shoes we all have to buy? And all the OTC orthotics, pain pills, lotions and rubs? My word, does it ever end!

BCG

nancy s. on 12/28/01 at 09:12 (067962)

thank you, john and julie. you're so nice to repeat these things and not even sound like i'm a pain in the neck! i'm going to try it, and i'll let you know how it works out. i do need simple, and it sounds as though it couldn't be any simpler.
thanks again,
nancy

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:35 (067967)

You? A pain in the neck? What's got into you, Nancy!? I'd repeat it again for you if you asked. Actually, I'm on a soapbox as regards taping, as I guess you know by now after x thousand repeats. But I don't care how like a broken record I sound, I'd like everyone to give it a go, because it can be SO helpful. And the simple method really is simple.

Happy taping, and I hope it helps you.

john h on 12/28/01 at 09:45 (067971)

Dr. Z: If you have a couple of Ossatron treatments that are not covered by insurance you will pass that threshold even if you make a lot of money.

DR Zuckerman on 12/28/01 at 17:12 (068018)

Boy how true !!!

pam s on 1/07/02 at 21:49 (069138)

would taping also help Post Tib tendonitis?
Pam