Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

this appears to be working

Posted by Adam J. on 12/27/01 at 12:46 (067892)

I have been battling with plantar faciitis for more than 9 months. Had a series of shots, gotten prescription orthodics, taken a vast pahrmacy of anti - inflamitories, all to very little effect. Then I got one of those 'Rigid Black Boots', with the velcro straps and metal struts that immobilize the ankle and foot. This is having quite a positive effect on my symptoms. For the first time in a long time I've been pain free for several hours at a time. I Sleep with the boot on, and wear it when I'm not at work. (My job requires me to wear steel toes). The boot seems to redirect the force from off my heel and foot to my calf. The down side is a bruised and fatigued calf, so I keep my walking about with the boot to a minimum. What the heck... If I have the surgery done - I've already got the boot. But perhaps this will stave off the need for surgery.
Talk to your doc., Mabey he/she'll go for it.
Good Luck

Re: this appears to be working

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 17:27 (067921)

Hi Adam,

I agree the removable boot cast can be a big help, especially if you are able to drive with it on. I wore mine pretty steady for about a year, including work (lots of walking). It changed my gait and I developed pain in my knee and hip on the opposite side. Had to give up wearing it most of the time. I still wear it if I have to drive more than the regular, daily trips.

The people at PT wanted to give me a size L, which was black. I opted for the greenish one, M, which is about 1/2' too short. They almost wouldn't give it to me, they were afraid I'd stub my toes. I told them the Large was too wide to drive with, so I ended up with the Medium.

They are a good deal if you don't try to rely on them everyday. Anything to put off surgery !!

BCG

Margo K on 1/02/02 at 21:50 (068485)

Brian:

I did not know that the removable boot could be worn during the day. I thought it was only for sleeping.

I developed plantar's f (?) about two months ago and I'm still in pain. I've been wearing a boot I borrowed from a friend (but it is a large and I probably need a medium).

Please let me know more about the boot.

Thanks,

Margo

E-mail me at (email removed).

Paula L. on 1/06/02 at 08:37 (068908)

Where would I look for one of these 'boots'? I am in NC, in the US-and my pain is debilitating. I would truly love to feel painfree for just an hour a day!

Where can I find one, and what is the approximate cost of one?

-Paula L.

BrianG on 12/27/01 at 17:27 (067921)

Hi Adam,

I agree the removable boot cast can be a big help, especially if you are able to drive with it on. I wore mine pretty steady for about a year, including work (lots of walking). It changed my gait and I developed pain in my knee and hip on the opposite side. Had to give up wearing it most of the time. I still wear it if I have to drive more than the regular, daily trips.

The people at PT wanted to give me a size L, which was black. I opted for the greenish one, M, which is about 1/2' too short. They almost wouldn't give it to me, they were afraid I'd stub my toes. I told them the Large was too wide to drive with, so I ended up with the Medium.

They are a good deal if you don't try to rely on them everyday. Anything to put off surgery !!

BCG

Margo K on 1/02/02 at 21:50 (068485)

Brian:

I did not know that the removable boot could be worn during the day. I thought it was only for sleeping.

I developed plantar's f (?) about two months ago and I'm still in pain. I've been wearing a boot I borrowed from a friend (but it is a large and I probably need a medium).

Please let me know more about the boot.

Thanks,

Margo

E-mail me at (email removed).

Paula L. on 1/06/02 at 08:37 (068908)

Where would I look for one of these 'boots'? I am in NC, in the US-and my pain is debilitating. I would truly love to feel painfree for just an hour a day!

Where can I find one, and what is the approximate cost of one?

-Paula L.