Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Suzanne Re: Birds

Posted by Necee on 12/28/01 at 00:45 (067945)

I love your idea about putting the tree outside your window and teaching the children about birds.

If you put a small feeder with some wildseed, and a Suet feeder you should get a variety of birds. It might take a while, but be patient. Once the birds find the food they will keep coming back.
Are there other trees in the area? If so then you should begin viewing birds right away, if not it will take longer for them to find the feed.
You'll probably have better luck putting out several different types of food for the birds, my feathered friends here love apple slices, and sunflower seeds as well as wildseed.
I enjoy watching birds, we have so many at home and at the ranch, of course I have feeders out everywhere! We have about 30 Ringneck Doves that feed around our cabin, along with Carninals, Mockingbirds and Bluebirds.
I raised a Cardinal once. It fell from a tree and I couldn't find the nest so I hand fed it. She was the sweetest little thing, it didn't take long for her to think I was her mother! I named her Tinker.
I also raised Morning Doves that were orphaned. One was named Boomer (short for Boomerang) cause it got out of its cage one time and flew off, I was sitting on my deck the next morning looking for him and he flew down out of a tree and landed on my shoulder. After that I'd let him out of his cage and he would perch on my shoulder, he followed me everywhere even into the shower one night!
People are always bringing me injured birds to raise as well as other 'critters', thats where I get the nickname Ellemae, if your familiar with the Beverly Hillbillys then you understand why.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling.....good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.
Happy Trails,
Necee

Re: To Suzanne Re: Birds

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 13:03 (067993)

Thanks, Necee, for all your tips!! I will remember them, and I do appreciate what you wrote. I know very little about birds, and so I will be learning along with the children which is fun for me, too! I will follow your suggestions for various foods to attract different birds.

We DO have trees around - not too far away - being out in the country. My room has windows which face the back side of our building. We normally have nothing to look at but the dumpsters, trucks coming in and out to the lunchroom, and the music/art trailer, along with some trees behind that.

Yes, I remember well the Beverly Hillbillies and Ellie Mae being so kind to all the 'critters'!

I enjoyed the 'rambling' although I wouldn't call it that! Thanks again, and I am sure I will be asking your advice again in the future about this project!

Re: Canadian Geese

Necee on 12/28/01 at 15:34 (068008)

Oh Suzanne I just wanted to mention.....
The Canadian Geese, and Wild Ducks are now migrating and we have watched them fly over our farm for many winters now. They are such beautiful birds. The Canadian Snow Geese, winter all around us, hundreds of them and when they are feeding in the fields it looks like snow! If I can't have real snow then I guess thats the next best thing. Thats one of my favorite things about winter, being able to observe them.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:24 (068029)

That must be an awesome sight! The only thing I have ever seen that would come close to the sight you described was something I was privileged to see last March with my daughter. She and I traveled to Mexico for a week during spring break to visit a longtime college friend who went there as a missionary right after college. I have never been able to visit many places, and so the whole trip was amazing to me! And then, as a highlight, we were able to see the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary at the very time they were all stirring and beginning to make their trip back north. Thousands and thousands of butterflies hanging on tree limbs as thick as leaves and thousands more swirling through the air. You can imagine how many times I have been grateful that my PF did not appear until about 8 weeks after that trip! We had to climb a mountain to get to where the butterflies were...

Well, this is off the subject of the birds, but it came to my mind as I read your message! :-)

Take care! I enjoy reading your posts!

nancy s. on 12/29/01 at 07:48 (068057)

hi suzanne, it's wonderful that you got to see the monarch butterflies in mexico. your post certainly caught my eye, because a year ago my husband and i drove from maine to mexico (i don't fly). seeing the monarchs was one of the main things we wanted to do.

while looking for angangueo (the town at the bottom of the mountain) we actually ended up, in the van, at the base of the climb to see the monarchs. i don't know if you remember that road, but it was quite an adventure to say the least -- i thought the van was going to fall apart. i still had pf and tendonitis, and realized there that i was not going to be able to make it up that mountain. so we drove back down and finally found angangueo, where we stayed the night. the next morning my husband rode with a bunch of people in a truck-for-hire up to the hiking point, and then walked with the others up to see the monarchs. he said it was an exhilarating, spiritual experience. he took some pictures, so i was able to see them that way. there's really no way to describe how incredibly many there are and how thickly they rest, is there? i'm so glad you hadn't gotten pf yet and were able to see them in person.

it was my first trip to mexico, and i loved it and want to go back. where did you stay? we stayed mostly in san miguel de allende and in patzcuaro.

nancy

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 12:18 (068077)

Oh, Nancy, I wrote a LONG (probably TOO much so!) post in answer to this, and then the computer acted up and I LOST it! Now I must go to town, but I will try again later!

I'm so glad your husband got to see the butterflies and take pictures and so sorry you didn't get to hike up to see them. But I know I couldn't now, either. Hearing his account was the next best thing.

I'll write again later!

Re: Mexico...for Nancy S

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 14:21 (068087)

I'll try again here and hope this computer cooperates!

You would have to know me to know what an adventure the whole Mexico trip really was! I have never been many places at all, and previously had only flown to Orlando. My daughter and I flew from Louisville, KY to Mexico City by way of Houston, TX. That in itself was an adventure! I was so nervous about customs, etc. and all the prescription medicine which my daughter has to take for asthma, allergies, migraines, etc. I kept trying to talk to the flight attendant about what to declare on the form (since it mentioned prescription medicine)we had to fill out on the flight to Mexico City. She advised me to talk to the gate agent when we got there since we had more than 3 or 4 medicines. The only people we saw at midnight when we arrived spoke Spanish. After trying to talk to two or three, my daughter grabbed my arm and said, 'Mama - come on and walk like you know what you're doing! If you keep acting so worried and nervous, we're going to end up in jail!' I followed her then, and it all worked out. Finally someone spoke English and he said, 'Oh, PERSONAL!' in regard to the medicine, and it was no big deal.

My daughter had wanted to go on a missions trip, and I had suggested she contact my friend there. They were happy to have her and then invited me to come along! She did hours of volunteer church work in Toluca (40 miles west of Mexico City), and I helped by administering achievement tests to my friend's high school children and 2 other missionary children, all who were home-schooled. The tests had to be given by a certified teacher, so I helped them that way. The rest of the time we enjoyed some sight-seeing, with the butterflies being the highlight of that part!

I well remember the road to the hiking point! I kept hoping my friend's car would make it, but we did! On the way back, a little boy no more than 8 years old (unknown I think to the driver) hitched a ride on the back of a paneled truck in front of us. He was literally hanging on for dear life the whole way down, and my heart was in my throat as we watched! He made it, and was covered with thick dust and mud when he hopped off!

It was an incredible sight, as I am sure your husband would agree. I am so glad he could tell you about the butterflies first hand. Our guide was kind, speaking only Spanish, but my friend translated. Of course he needed no English to see that I was the slowest hiker and handed me his walking stick! I managed to say 'Gracias' and appreciated the help! (And this was BEFORE PF!) :-)

Well, I could go on and on - and I already have! - but I will stop for now. It was nice to share this with someone who has been there!

nancy s. on 12/30/01 at 10:10 (068127)

nice to hear your story, suzanne. i can just imagine the 'adventure' of flying into mexico city. i was afraid to go there by car, too, and so didn't! i haven't been many places outside the u.s. either, so i'm with you on how adventurous it is to go anywhere new.
i will never forget THAT road! (and a few others we hit along the way too.)
nancy

Re: Mexico...

Necee on 12/31/01 at 10:57 (068212)

Enjoyed reading all the post about Mexico adventures.
I have traveled there many times by car. We have driven over the Sierra Madres Mountains to the ocean, wow that was trip! And rode the train going through the mountains (Copper Canyon) to the ocean. This canyon is awesome. Its bigger than our Grand Canyon in Arizona and the only way to get there is by train. This was several years ago and I remember departing Los Moches by train early one morning the views were fantastic, there were tunnels going through the mountains and around every bend were waterfalls. Going through the small mountain villages brought all the children to the side of the tracks, that was an image I'll always remember. Little children dirty, and barefooted begging for anything we could throw them.
Another trip to Mexico several years back took us to Horsetail Falls, I think it was near Monterrey. To get a view of the Falls you had to ride Donkeys, the mountain trail was long and narrow. I can remember my Uncle Bill riding a donkey that was so small his feet we dragging the ground!
Oh just thinking about those trips really brings back so many memories to me. I could sit here at this computer and type all day, but I better get some things done. One things for sure, I'll be reminiscing....
Happy Trails....
Necee

nancy s. on 12/31/01 at 19:21 (068285)

hey, necee: we have mexico in common too? thank you for the description of the copper canyon train ride. i am dying to take that train! when we were planning our trip, my husband and i researched copper canyon quite a bit and it sounded wonderful and we almost went . . . but then decided mexico in general is a far enough drive from maine without making it *western* mexico. hope to someday, though.
oh, a confession: i also turned into a big chicken when i read descriptions of the vehicle ride down the canyon to a little village where my husband wanted to stay. it sounded like a worse road than the one suzanne and i discussed (on the way to the monarch butterflies). this played a teensy part in the decision, too. heh heh. i am a big big chicken!
nancy

Re: To Suzanne Re: Birds

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 13:03 (067993)

Thanks, Necee, for all your tips!! I will remember them, and I do appreciate what you wrote. I know very little about birds, and so I will be learning along with the children which is fun for me, too! I will follow your suggestions for various foods to attract different birds.

We DO have trees around - not too far away - being out in the country. My room has windows which face the back side of our building. We normally have nothing to look at but the dumpsters, trucks coming in and out to the lunchroom, and the music/art trailer, along with some trees behind that.

Yes, I remember well the Beverly Hillbillies and Ellie Mae being so kind to all the 'critters'!

I enjoyed the 'rambling' although I wouldn't call it that! Thanks again, and I am sure I will be asking your advice again in the future about this project!

Necee on 12/28/01 at 15:34 (068008)

Oh Suzanne I just wanted to mention.....
The Canadian Geese, and Wild Ducks are now migrating and we have watched them fly over our farm for many winters now. They are such beautiful birds. The Canadian Snow Geese, winter all around us, hundreds of them and when they are feeding in the fields it looks like snow! If I can't have real snow then I guess thats the next best thing. Thats one of my favorite things about winter, being able to observe them.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:24 (068029)

That must be an awesome sight! The only thing I have ever seen that would come close to the sight you described was something I was privileged to see last March with my daughter. She and I traveled to Mexico for a week during spring break to visit a longtime college friend who went there as a missionary right after college. I have never been able to visit many places, and so the whole trip was amazing to me! And then, as a highlight, we were able to see the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary at the very time they were all stirring and beginning to make their trip back north. Thousands and thousands of butterflies hanging on tree limbs as thick as leaves and thousands more swirling through the air. You can imagine how many times I have been grateful that my PF did not appear until about 8 weeks after that trip! We had to climb a mountain to get to where the butterflies were...

Well, this is off the subject of the birds, but it came to my mind as I read your message! :-)

Take care! I enjoy reading your posts!

nancy s. on 12/29/01 at 07:48 (068057)

hi suzanne, it's wonderful that you got to see the monarch butterflies in mexico. your post certainly caught my eye, because a year ago my husband and i drove from maine to mexico (i don't fly). seeing the monarchs was one of the main things we wanted to do.

while looking for angangueo (the town at the bottom of the mountain) we actually ended up, in the van, at the base of the climb to see the monarchs. i don't know if you remember that road, but it was quite an adventure to say the least -- i thought the van was going to fall apart. i still had pf and tendonitis, and realized there that i was not going to be able to make it up that mountain. so we drove back down and finally found angangueo, where we stayed the night. the next morning my husband rode with a bunch of people in a truck-for-hire up to the hiking point, and then walked with the others up to see the monarchs. he said it was an exhilarating, spiritual experience. he took some pictures, so i was able to see them that way. there's really no way to describe how incredibly many there are and how thickly they rest, is there? i'm so glad you hadn't gotten pf yet and were able to see them in person.

it was my first trip to mexico, and i loved it and want to go back. where did you stay? we stayed mostly in san miguel de allende and in patzcuaro.

nancy

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 12:18 (068077)

Oh, Nancy, I wrote a LONG (probably TOO much so!) post in answer to this, and then the computer acted up and I LOST it! Now I must go to town, but I will try again later!

I'm so glad your husband got to see the butterflies and take pictures and so sorry you didn't get to hike up to see them. But I know I couldn't now, either. Hearing his account was the next best thing.

I'll write again later!

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 14:21 (068087)

I'll try again here and hope this computer cooperates!

You would have to know me to know what an adventure the whole Mexico trip really was! I have never been many places at all, and previously had only flown to Orlando. My daughter and I flew from Louisville, KY to Mexico City by way of Houston, TX. That in itself was an adventure! I was so nervous about customs, etc. and all the prescription medicine which my daughter has to take for asthma, allergies, migraines, etc. I kept trying to talk to the flight attendant about what to declare on the form (since it mentioned prescription medicine)we had to fill out on the flight to Mexico City. She advised me to talk to the gate agent when we got there since we had more than 3 or 4 medicines. The only people we saw at midnight when we arrived spoke Spanish. After trying to talk to two or three, my daughter grabbed my arm and said, 'Mama - come on and walk like you know what you're doing! If you keep acting so worried and nervous, we're going to end up in jail!' I followed her then, and it all worked out. Finally someone spoke English and he said, 'Oh, PERSONAL!' in regard to the medicine, and it was no big deal.

My daughter had wanted to go on a missions trip, and I had suggested she contact my friend there. They were happy to have her and then invited me to come along! She did hours of volunteer church work in Toluca (40 miles west of Mexico City), and I helped by administering achievement tests to my friend's high school children and 2 other missionary children, all who were home-schooled. The tests had to be given by a certified teacher, so I helped them that way. The rest of the time we enjoyed some sight-seeing, with the butterflies being the highlight of that part!

I well remember the road to the hiking point! I kept hoping my friend's car would make it, but we did! On the way back, a little boy no more than 8 years old (unknown I think to the driver) hitched a ride on the back of a paneled truck in front of us. He was literally hanging on for dear life the whole way down, and my heart was in my throat as we watched! He made it, and was covered with thick dust and mud when he hopped off!

It was an incredible sight, as I am sure your husband would agree. I am so glad he could tell you about the butterflies first hand. Our guide was kind, speaking only Spanish, but my friend translated. Of course he needed no English to see that I was the slowest hiker and handed me his walking stick! I managed to say 'Gracias' and appreciated the help! (And this was BEFORE PF!) :-)

Well, I could go on and on - and I already have! - but I will stop for now. It was nice to share this with someone who has been there!

nancy s. on 12/30/01 at 10:10 (068127)

nice to hear your story, suzanne. i can just imagine the 'adventure' of flying into mexico city. i was afraid to go there by car, too, and so didn't! i haven't been many places outside the u.s. either, so i'm with you on how adventurous it is to go anywhere new.
i will never forget THAT road! (and a few others we hit along the way too.)
nancy

Necee on 12/31/01 at 10:57 (068212)

Enjoyed reading all the post about Mexico adventures.
I have traveled there many times by car. We have driven over the Sierra Madres Mountains to the ocean, wow that was trip! And rode the train going through the mountains (Copper Canyon) to the ocean. This canyon is awesome. Its bigger than our Grand Canyon in Arizona and the only way to get there is by train. This was several years ago and I remember departing Los Moches by train early one morning the views were fantastic, there were tunnels going through the mountains and around every bend were waterfalls. Going through the small mountain villages brought all the children to the side of the tracks, that was an image I'll always remember. Little children dirty, and barefooted begging for anything we could throw them.
Another trip to Mexico several years back took us to Horsetail Falls, I think it was near Monterrey. To get a view of the Falls you had to ride Donkeys, the mountain trail was long and narrow. I can remember my Uncle Bill riding a donkey that was so small his feet we dragging the ground!
Oh just thinking about those trips really brings back so many memories to me. I could sit here at this computer and type all day, but I better get some things done. One things for sure, I'll be reminiscing....
Happy Trails....
Necee

nancy s. on 12/31/01 at 19:21 (068285)

hey, necee: we have mexico in common too? thank you for the description of the copper canyon train ride. i am dying to take that train! when we were planning our trip, my husband and i researched copper canyon quite a bit and it sounded wonderful and we almost went . . . but then decided mexico in general is a far enough drive from maine without making it *western* mexico. hope to someday, though.
oh, a confession: i also turned into a big chicken when i read descriptions of the vehicle ride down the canyon to a little village where my husband wanted to stay. it sounded like a worse road than the one suzanne and i discussed (on the way to the monarch butterflies). this played a teensy part in the decision, too. heh heh. i am a big big chicken!
nancy