Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Need winter boots

Posted by Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 07:57 (067957)

Hello Friends.

Now that I've moved happily to Northern Michigan, and the snow has arrived and is arriving every day, I am in search of appropriate footwear once again.

I have been living in my Boston Birkenstocks, as they seem to be the only thing I can stand for more than 5 minutes. I tried putting my 'custom' orthotics in my old boots, and use those when I have to go out, but really cannot stand them at all. Putting my Birks back on after these is such a relief.

I was looking at the Euro Birk webite: http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , since I saw last year that Birk was starting to come out with boots, and wanted to see what kind of price I could get, since their prices are always lower than US retail. I could not find the boots. Maybe they are only available in Footprints line (arch too low for me).

I have considered getting a Birk footbed to put into a pair of real winter boots, but seriously doubt that it will fit. I have reached a level of improvement where I can walk with only some pain for quite awhile, but only if my feet have proper support. I would love to be able to go sledding or even on short winter walks around the block with my hubby, but really I need boots in case my care goes in the ditch.

I am still in constant pain, but it is just lingers between 2 and 4 on the scale of 1-10. Much better than I was last year, when I once resorted to crawling to the bedroom from the couch. I need fresh air... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks... Val.

Re: Help! Need winter boots

wendyn on 12/28/01 at 10:24 (067979)

Val - can you wear sneakers with orthotics or a birk foot bed in them? I manage between those and my Birks - and have done so for the last 3 winters. It's not perfect - but it works.

True - it's not that warm, but I just don't go for long walks in the snow. Actually - I don't really go for long walks anywhere so it doesn't really matter.

You could always keep the boots in the car in case your car broke down and you really did have to go for a long walk in the snow. I don't know what Michigan winters are like - but I have to think they can't be worse than ours...so this may work for you too.

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 10:48 (067983)

Hi Wendy.

Thanks for your ideas. We get lots of Lake Effect snow here, and the plows don't seem so diligent as they did in the big city. It's so pretty, I'm inspired to be outside, even if only for 1/2 hour or so, and I am hoping to find a way to do it without having my shoes fill with snow... hee hee.

I would love to be able to go out and make a snowman; I haven't done that in years!

Val.

Re: Sorrells

BrianG on 12/28/01 at 12:24 (067990)

Hi Val,

In a former life, I used to spend a lot of time outside in the winter. My all time favorite winter boots are called Sorrells. They have many styles, for both men and women. The pair I'm now using is about 15 years old. If I could get outside more, I'd buy a new pair. Mine have rubber bottoms, with leather uppers. They also have felt, removable inserts for insulation.

They are a pretty wide, boxy type of boot. I would bet you could find a pair that you could fit your Birks into. Almost all sporting / outdoor type stores sell them. You'll fit right in with the locals :*)

Good luck
BCG

PS Your husband will need a pair too!

Valerie S on 12/30/01 at 12:37 (068135)

Thanks Brian!
I will check them out as soon as I decide to brave the snowy trip to the big city. I have heard of these boots before... Great idea!

Val.

wendyn on 12/28/01 at 10:24 (067979)

Val - can you wear sneakers with orthotics or a birk foot bed in them? I manage between those and my Birks - and have done so for the last 3 winters. It's not perfect - but it works.

True - it's not that warm, but I just don't go for long walks in the snow. Actually - I don't really go for long walks anywhere so it doesn't really matter.

You could always keep the boots in the car in case your car broke down and you really did have to go for a long walk in the snow. I don't know what Michigan winters are like - but I have to think they can't be worse than ours...so this may work for you too.

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 10:48 (067983)

Hi Wendy.

Thanks for your ideas. We get lots of Lake Effect snow here, and the plows don't seem so diligent as they did in the big city. It's so pretty, I'm inspired to be outside, even if only for 1/2 hour or so, and I am hoping to find a way to do it without having my shoes fill with snow... hee hee.

I would love to be able to go out and make a snowman; I haven't done that in years!

Val.

BrianG on 12/28/01 at 12:24 (067990)

Hi Val,

In a former life, I used to spend a lot of time outside in the winter. My all time favorite winter boots are called Sorrells. They have many styles, for both men and women. The pair I'm now using is about 15 years old. If I could get outside more, I'd buy a new pair. Mine have rubber bottoms, with leather uppers. They also have felt, removable inserts for insulation.

They are a pretty wide, boxy type of boot. I would bet you could find a pair that you could fit your Birks into. Almost all sporting / outdoor type stores sell them. You'll fit right in with the locals :*)

Good luck
BCG

PS Your husband will need a pair too!

Valerie S on 12/30/01 at 12:37 (068135)

Thanks Brian!
I will check them out as soon as I decide to brave the snowy trip to the big city. I have heard of these boots before... Great idea!

Val.