Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another question: Anyone tried Birko Orthopadie?

Posted by Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 08:06 (067958)

Hi Again.

While surfing at http://www.birkenstock-cn.com , I noticed that they have another line of shoes listed as Birko Orthopadie. They say they have a higher arch than the classic footbed. I wonder if anyone has tried these?

I wear the Bostons now, but can still feel my arch collapse a little bit while walking. Any reviews on these? It looks like they have some in the discount bin that are colors other than white, and for under $50, I am tempted to try them...

Just wondering...

Val.

Re: I've been wondering about them, too...

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:32 (068031)

Valerie, I also have seen these on the website and have wondered about them. I wear Arizonas and Bostons, and even though they are both the classic footbed, somehow the Arizonas seem to give me more support. I don't know; maybe that is my imagination! But they do feel better. Then I have one other pair I can wear: a pair of the Annapolis (Mary Janes), but they are not as supportive, and I only wear them when I have to be a little more dressed up. They have the Footprints footbed. But the footbed comes out, and I have wondered if a classic or even Tatami footbed could be put in the shoe instead.

I would be very interested in hearing if anyone has tried the Orthopadie. I have high arches, too.

Re: I know you can get custom footbeds made, but...

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 09:48 (068063)

it's so expensive, and after the experiences that I have had so far with custom orthotics, the last thing I want to do is spend the money for someone across the ocean to make me some more!

Somehow, I am thinking that this orthopadie variety might be just what I need. I have not been able to fit my foot into a Tatami style shoe... the arches are high, but there's not a lot of room in the shoebox itself.

As far as I've been able to tell, the classic footbed is always glued to the sole and is not made in the removable variety.

Are your Arizonas newer than your Bostons? I had a pair of Londons that broke down (and I am convinced that this helped me get PF in the first place) before I realized it. Or could it be because the uppers of the Bostons are more supple and allow your foot to move around more? In theory, they should have the same footbed.

I think I will look for a store that carries these orthopadie shoes so I can try them on.

Good luck and thank you... Val.

Re: I've been wondering about them, too...

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:32 (068031)

Valerie, I also have seen these on the website and have wondered about them. I wear Arizonas and Bostons, and even though they are both the classic footbed, somehow the Arizonas seem to give me more support. I don't know; maybe that is my imagination! But they do feel better. Then I have one other pair I can wear: a pair of the Annapolis (Mary Janes), but they are not as supportive, and I only wear them when I have to be a little more dressed up. They have the Footprints footbed. But the footbed comes out, and I have wondered if a classic or even Tatami footbed could be put in the shoe instead.

I would be very interested in hearing if anyone has tried the Orthopadie. I have high arches, too.

Re: I know you can get custom footbeds made, but...

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 09:48 (068063)

it's so expensive, and after the experiences that I have had so far with custom orthotics, the last thing I want to do is spend the money for someone across the ocean to make me some more!

Somehow, I am thinking that this orthopadie variety might be just what I need. I have not been able to fit my foot into a Tatami style shoe... the arches are high, but there's not a lot of room in the shoebox itself.

As far as I've been able to tell, the classic footbed is always glued to the sole and is not made in the removable variety.

Are your Arizonas newer than your Bostons? I had a pair of Londons that broke down (and I am convinced that this helped me get PF in the first place) before I realized it. Or could it be because the uppers of the Bostons are more supple and allow your foot to move around more? In theory, they should have the same footbed.

I think I will look for a store that carries these orthopadie shoes so I can try them on.

Good luck and thank you... Val.