Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Starting Over, New City, New Insurance...

Posted by Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:19 (067963)

Hi.

I have been battling PF for 15 months now, started seeing previous pod a year ago. I went through injections, NSAIDS, oral steroids, rx orthotics, physical therapy, and have had slow improvement. I stopped working at my retail job in March and used my disability insurance. My insurance coverage through my work ended in June, and I haven't been to see a doctor since then. Have been using the night splint (some) and stretching and massaging and resting as needed, but have been able to increase my standing time quite a bit.

Although still in constant pain, it is now under control, riding between level 2 and 4.

We moved, and my husband has me now on his health insurance, (went from Aetna PPO to Blue Cross PPO), and I wonder what will happen if I go to a new doc here. Will the PF be disqualified under pre-existing or anything like that? Can I get another pair of orthotics (make an informed decision this time... the other ones are junk)?

I am debating whether to bother at all... I don't really know what a doctor can do for me now... the only real relief I got was from physical therapy. Time has been the biggest healer for me, besides the Birks and the night splint and the Jade Balm.

Should I go back for yet another opinion?
Do you know if I will be disqualified because I tried and failed before?
Will the fact that my health insurance lapsed affect whether I can get treatment covered or not?

Just wondering what kind of insurance insight you can offer. I realize you are not insurance reps. Thanks for any input you might have.

Val.

Re: Starting Over, New City, New Insurance...

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 09:24 (067964)

Valerie,
Go ahead and call BC/BS and find out if they cover foot orthotics. See if you have to meet a deductible first and if so, how much. Ask the dollar difference between out of network providers -vs- in network providers.
Also find out who the providers are in the area.

Where did you guys move to? Maybe I can find out all that stuff for you.
Richard

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:35 (067966)

Hi Richard.

Thanks for your speedy reply! Gee!

We moved to Frankfort, Michigan. It's in northern Michigan, between Traverse City and Manistee, right on Lake Michigan... so beautiful and peaceful, but am wondering how far I will have to drive to find good orthotics.

My Boston Birks are treating me well around the house... on the orthotics board I posted a message about the new 'deep footbed' line called Birko Orthotpadie...

Val.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:45 (067970)

Val, could you wear large man's rubber boots - we call them 'Wellingtons' here. over your Boston Birks?

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:46 (067972)

Sorry, wrong thread - should have been under your other one.

But good luck with the insurance investigation!

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:48 (067973)

Great Idea, Julie...

I have looked for rubber galoshes that will fit over Birks in the past, but haven't found any... they all have pointy toes to fit over men's dress shoes... Now that I live up north though, maybe I can find a better selection of outer-footwear. Good idea. I will look next time I go to the big city...

I hate shoe shopping! hee hee.

Thanks, Val.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:52 (067974)

Try a shop that sells clothing and footgear for hunting? Hiking? There must be plenty of that sort of thing in Northern Michigan - and it wouldn't be like shoe shopping.

Too bad you don't live in England. Even big cities like London are full of shops that sell big rubber boots!

Do American men's dress shoes now have pointy toes?

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:57 (067975)

Compared to Birkenstocks, I consider most shoes to have pointy toes. hee hee. The Birks are square, and so are my feet. hee hee.

Seriously, I have really looked for boot rubbers. People here wear boots or shoes... you don't see a lot of overboots or galoshes, except for men's dress shoes, and those sometimes only cover the bottom part of the shoe to protect from salt and slush. I used to fix shoes, and spent those 3 years looking for a way to protect my Birks without having to spend a lot of time after each trip outside cleaning them off.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 11:01 (067984)

It is kinda slow around here today, so I have been just lurking around heelspurs.com mostly. I don't see anyone on messinger, so I am kinda lonely. Good thing I have my daughter today to keep me company!! :-)

I know some good C.Peds in Michigan. I will try to find out where the are in relation to you.
Good luck!!
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 11:13 (067985)

Since I am here, I will go ahead and add to this subject as well. Since we are a snow ski shop, I recently found this company that makes an overshoe. It is an awesome product. The name slips my mind, so I will try to find the information and let you know.
Richard

RACHAEL T. on 12/28/01 at 22:21 (068040)

Birk Company has catalog w/ boots & hiking shoes & more offered for sale....for wet & cold weather, these may be just want you want.....I am considering them myself since I have found comfort in my now month old Boston Suede Birks.

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 09:34 (068058)

Thanks Rachael...

Be careful if you buy the boots from Birkenstock. I think these are all from the 'footprints' line, which is flatter than the 'classic' footbed which includes the Boston. If you can find a store that has them, try them on. I bought a pair of footprint shoes last year because the footbed was removable for my orthotics. Long story short, they really aren't what I need. All Birkenstocks are NOT created equally... if you buy a new pair, make sure you still just wear them around the house before you take them outside. There is nothing like a pair of Boston Suede Birks...

Good luck to you.

Val.

RACHAEL T. on 12/30/01 at 15:10 (068137)

I appreciate your help & advice .... I was unaware that the boots didn't have the same footbed - & thus - 'would feel' differently.
I love my Bostons & long for a boot & shoe of the same comfort......any advisement?

Valerie S on 12/30/01 at 15:15 (068138)

Rachael... been looking myself... hee hee.

I got a couple of ideas from people on the other board, orthotics/shoes... my post called 'Help! I need winter boots!'

Good luck to us both.

What I have been doing in the meantime is putting my orthotics into the boots I have, and I am getting used to it, although not nearly what the Bostons are... the saving grace is being able to take them off and put on my Birks again! You know what I mean.

Val.

Urs C on 1/05/02 at 18:45 (068865)

Hi Valerie,
I feel a great empathy towards you, it must be tough to live with chronic pain such as you are experiencing.
I have suffered heel pain (on the back of both heels) for about a year now and decided enough is enough. I started surfing the web for answers and came up with some very interesting results. Going by my information, you might be barking up the wrong tree!!!!!!!
When confronted with a problem (symptom), people's reaction normally is, they try to find a way to treat the symtom insted of trying to find a cure for the cause which produces the symptom.
If you have an old car which uses a lot of oil, you can either treat the symptom, which is a low oil level by pouring more oil into your engine but this will not fix the problem. The cause is most likely worn piston rings, so to get rid of the symptom you would have to fit new piston rings to your engine and as a consequence of that, your engine would no longer use excessive amounts of oil.
Now back to the feet, the symptom is pain which is caused by a bone spur, comfortable shoes may ease the pain but will not fix the problem. I'm sure you would rather get rid of the bone spur which is the cause of your pain.
Bone spurs can be removed surgically but that is not the right way to go!
Let's first look at what is causing the bone spur to come into existence and attack the problem at that level, click the following link to find the answer to your/our problem, it is painless and it is the only solution which offers a permanent fix and a painfree life, I'm going to give it a go! http://www.bonespur.com/
I hope I was able to ease your pain, please let me know what you think, it certainly makes good sense to me, since I'm a mechanical fitter, I believe in doing some serious trouble shooting before I tackle any problem and when I'm convinced that I have the come up with the best solution, then I act!

Good luck and best regards, Urs
(email removed)

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 09:24 (067964)

Valerie,
Go ahead and call BC/BS and find out if they cover foot orthotics. See if you have to meet a deductible first and if so, how much. Ask the dollar difference between out of network providers -vs- in network providers.
Also find out who the providers are in the area.

Where did you guys move to? Maybe I can find out all that stuff for you.
Richard

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:35 (067966)

Hi Richard.

Thanks for your speedy reply! Gee!

We moved to Frankfort, Michigan. It's in northern Michigan, between Traverse City and Manistee, right on Lake Michigan... so beautiful and peaceful, but am wondering how far I will have to drive to find good orthotics.

My Boston Birks are treating me well around the house... on the orthotics board I posted a message about the new 'deep footbed' line called Birko Orthotpadie...

Val.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:45 (067970)

Val, could you wear large man's rubber boots - we call them 'Wellingtons' here. over your Boston Birks?

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:46 (067972)

Sorry, wrong thread - should have been under your other one.

But good luck with the insurance investigation!

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:48 (067973)

Great Idea, Julie...

I have looked for rubber galoshes that will fit over Birks in the past, but haven't found any... they all have pointy toes to fit over men's dress shoes... Now that I live up north though, maybe I can find a better selection of outer-footwear. Good idea. I will look next time I go to the big city...

I hate shoe shopping! hee hee.

Thanks, Val.

Julie on 12/28/01 at 09:52 (067974)

Try a shop that sells clothing and footgear for hunting? Hiking? There must be plenty of that sort of thing in Northern Michigan - and it wouldn't be like shoe shopping.

Too bad you don't live in England. Even big cities like London are full of shops that sell big rubber boots!

Do American men's dress shoes now have pointy toes?

Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 09:57 (067975)

Compared to Birkenstocks, I consider most shoes to have pointy toes. hee hee. The Birks are square, and so are my feet. hee hee.

Seriously, I have really looked for boot rubbers. People here wear boots or shoes... you don't see a lot of overboots or galoshes, except for men's dress shoes, and those sometimes only cover the bottom part of the shoe to protect from salt and slush. I used to fix shoes, and spent those 3 years looking for a way to protect my Birks without having to spend a lot of time after each trip outside cleaning them off.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 11:01 (067984)

It is kinda slow around here today, so I have been just lurking around heelspurs.com mostly. I don't see anyone on messinger, so I am kinda lonely. Good thing I have my daughter today to keep me company!! :-)

I know some good C.Peds in Michigan. I will try to find out where the are in relation to you.
Good luck!!
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 12/28/01 at 11:13 (067985)

Since I am here, I will go ahead and add to this subject as well. Since we are a snow ski shop, I recently found this company that makes an overshoe. It is an awesome product. The name slips my mind, so I will try to find the information and let you know.
Richard

RACHAEL T. on 12/28/01 at 22:21 (068040)

Birk Company has catalog w/ boots & hiking shoes & more offered for sale....for wet & cold weather, these may be just want you want.....I am considering them myself since I have found comfort in my now month old Boston Suede Birks.

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 09:34 (068058)

Thanks Rachael...

Be careful if you buy the boots from Birkenstock. I think these are all from the 'footprints' line, which is flatter than the 'classic' footbed which includes the Boston. If you can find a store that has them, try them on. I bought a pair of footprint shoes last year because the footbed was removable for my orthotics. Long story short, they really aren't what I need. All Birkenstocks are NOT created equally... if you buy a new pair, make sure you still just wear them around the house before you take them outside. There is nothing like a pair of Boston Suede Birks...

Good luck to you.

Val.

RACHAEL T. on 12/30/01 at 15:10 (068137)

I appreciate your help & advice .... I was unaware that the boots didn't have the same footbed - & thus - 'would feel' differently.
I love my Bostons & long for a boot & shoe of the same comfort......any advisement?

Valerie S on 12/30/01 at 15:15 (068138)

Rachael... been looking myself... hee hee.

I got a couple of ideas from people on the other board, orthotics/shoes... my post called 'Help! I need winter boots!'

Good luck to us both.

What I have been doing in the meantime is putting my orthotics into the boots I have, and I am getting used to it, although not nearly what the Bostons are... the saving grace is being able to take them off and put on my Birks again! You know what I mean.

Val.

Urs C on 1/05/02 at 18:45 (068865)

Hi Valerie,
I feel a great empathy towards you, it must be tough to live with chronic pain such as you are experiencing.
I have suffered heel pain (on the back of both heels) for about a year now and decided enough is enough. I started surfing the web for answers and came up with some very interesting results. Going by my information, you might be barking up the wrong tree!!!!!!!
When confronted with a problem (symptom), people's reaction normally is, they try to find a way to treat the symtom insted of trying to find a cure for the cause which produces the symptom.
If you have an old car which uses a lot of oil, you can either treat the symptom, which is a low oil level by pouring more oil into your engine but this will not fix the problem. The cause is most likely worn piston rings, so to get rid of the symptom you would have to fit new piston rings to your engine and as a consequence of that, your engine would no longer use excessive amounts of oil.
Now back to the feet, the symptom is pain which is caused by a bone spur, comfortable shoes may ease the pain but will not fix the problem. I'm sure you would rather get rid of the bone spur which is the cause of your pain.
Bone spurs can be removed surgically but that is not the right way to go!
Let's first look at what is causing the bone spur to come into existence and attack the problem at that level, click the following link to find the answer to your/our problem, it is painless and it is the only solution which offers a permanent fix and a painfree life, I'm going to give it a go! http://www.bonespur.com/
I hope I was able to ease your pain, please let me know what you think, it certainly makes good sense to me, since I'm a mechanical fitter, I believe in doing some serious trouble shooting before I tackle any problem and when I'm convinced that I have the come up with the best solution, then I act!

Good luck and best regards, Urs
(email removed)