Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Physical therapy always follow surgery?????????

Posted by Linda C. on 12/28/01 at 10:29 (067982)

I had surgery december 14th. I had my fascia released,a heel spur removed, and numerous nerve damage fixed. My doctor told me i will be off crutches in 2 more weeks,and can resume my workouts at the gym in 6 weeks. One of my friends had a heel spur removed,and she did 6 weeks of physical therapy. Does every doctor recommend physical therapy after this surgery?????? My doctor told me I am progressing very well,and will probably not have to have physical therapy. Has anyone ever heard of this?
thanks,
Linda

Re: Does Physical therapy always follow surgery?????????

Carmen H on 12/31/01 at 09:35 (068200)

Not every doc recommends PT but most people here would recommend some type of rehab or stretching program. ASK him why he doesn't recommend it for you?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/02 at 21:54 (068609)

Not everyone needs physical therapy but the vast majority do. Just curious--are you in an HMO?
Ed

Linda C on 1/04/02 at 05:49 (068649)

No, i'm not in an hmo. Our insurance company is called healthcare value management. They made me do 10 weeks of physical therapy before they would approve my surgery. They also made me get a second opinion,which I know is usually what they all do. When I had a mammogram, they told me they wouldn't pay for it because they consider it not medically necessary.
I am going to ask my doctor this friday about physical therapy. I am in worse pain now than before my surgery. I have been walking on my toes very lightly, but now my toes kill. My heel feels so tight and it is constantly throbbing. When i put my total foot on the ground, i get tingling from my heel up to my toes. It felt so good the first couple of weeks, but now I am wondering if this surgery was worth it.

Carmen H on 12/31/01 at 09:35 (068200)

Not every doc recommends PT but most people here would recommend some type of rehab or stretching program. ASK him why he doesn't recommend it for you?

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/03/02 at 21:54 (068609)

Not everyone needs physical therapy but the vast majority do. Just curious--are you in an HMO?
Ed

Linda C on 1/04/02 at 05:49 (068649)

No, i'm not in an hmo. Our insurance company is called healthcare value management. They made me do 10 weeks of physical therapy before they would approve my surgery. They also made me get a second opinion,which I know is usually what they all do. When I had a mammogram, they told me they wouldn't pay for it because they consider it not medically necessary.
I am going to ask my doctor this friday about physical therapy. I am in worse pain now than before my surgery. I have been walking on my toes very lightly, but now my toes kill. My heel feels so tight and it is constantly throbbing. When i put my total foot on the ground, i get tingling from my heel up to my toes. It felt so good the first couple of weeks, but now I am wondering if this surgery was worth it.