Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OK, I admit it, my feet hurt

Posted by Valerie S on 12/28/01 at 12:20 (067989)

Hello friends...

I'm sorry for being such a schmuck and not being around to help and care like all of you have for me all these times. For the last month, I have been knitting like a fool to get ready for Christmas.

Now that it's over, and the family has gone home, I have yet to clean the house... I have not wanted to admit that my feet were still hurting me, and then the other night I couldn't fall asleep because of the pain and throbbing, and now the stabbing knives are back when I sit after being up doing housework for awhile. I hate this!

I have so much to be thankful for: I love our new home, I am looking forward to hibernating with my hubby this winter, without having to deal with the big city unless we decide to drive there. My pain level is hovering between a level 2-4, which is SOOO much better than I was a year ago!... My only hope is that it will go away totally someday! Aaargh!

I don't mean to complain; I just don't want to admit that I still SUFFER from PF. I can walk longer periods now, although through constant (mild!) pain. I am seeking winter footwear that will allow me to go out and make a snowman without taking me out of commission for the rest of the day... guess it might have to wait until next winter, the way things are starting to look. As long as I have my Birks, I can survive.

Now that I have health insurance again, I am considering going back to get new orthotics and maybe a new pod. I don't know quite what the next step is... progress has stopped, and now I have to re-evaluate my activity level. I think I may be spending a lot more time on my feet than I realize.

Take care, everyone... Have a safe and happy holiday season. Happy New Year!

Maybe 2002 will be a lucky year for us all... it is the same frontwards and backwards! (last time: 1991, next time: 2112)...

Good luck to everyone in continued recovery... thanks for being such great friends to me when I was down. Even when I don't check in, it helps me to know that there are people here the know what I am going through. My family is so sick of hearing about my poor feet, and frankly so am I!!! hee hee...

Your friend, Val.

Re: OK, I admit it, my feet hurt

D.Thomas on 12/28/01 at 13:37 (067996)

Valarie,

I can relate. I was also doing better about a month ago, but the last month I feel like I am back to square one. It is amazing how many times I have been excited that maybe I am getting better, just to find out that they start hurting again later down the road.

Sometimes I have no idea what caused them to hurt again. And then I know it takes about two weeks for the constant throbbing or burning to go away and I have to start all over again.

God, the worst part is that you don't know if it will ever stop completely. I keep teliing people that I could take the pain for two years if I knew it would be over in two years. It's the not knowing when or if ever it will get better. One day you feel better the next you don't. What gets worse is when you start to say 'last month I was better, but this month sucks.' When the measure goes from days to months, that is when you realize this really sucks.

Laurie R on 12/28/01 at 14:21 (067998)

Dearest Val , Frist off , I think you know us well enough now to know we are all here when ever you need us .. I am happy to hear that you are better then you were .. I have done just what you have before . I would trick myself into feeling better and do more. I thought if I did this I would get better. I have heard over and over that if all I do is focus on the pain then I will always feel the pain . I can say now for sure the pain I am in IS NOT JUST IN MY HEAD.... I do what ever it takes to lower my terrible pain now . I don't just lay around . I do biofeedback which I will say helps so much . I still go to PT .

Now with also having RSD the pain can get really out of control. Pain is real .

What I am trying to say Val , I understand where you are coming from . I wish you only the best . Remember we are here for you ... I have missed you and your posts ..

Take care .... Your friend always , Laurie R

Necee on 12/28/01 at 15:15 (068004)

Hi Valerie,
It's so good to hear from you. I'm sorry that your feet are still hurting, we do have a tendency to want to do more, therefore trying to forget about the pain force ourselves and trudge on, which is only doing more harm than good.
I have found that if I stay off my feet, I don't hurt near as bad but on the other hand, I'm the type of person that wants to be active, I'm always up and going, but this foot thing has really forced me to look at my daily activities differently.
I do hope that the New Year brings you much peace and relief from your pain. Please keep in touch with us here, as long as we all stay connected to this message board we can support eachother.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Julie on 12/28/01 at 15:57 (068012)

Val, it's always good to acknowledge reality. If your feet hurt, they hurt, and there's no point in pretending otherwise. Facing up to it also makes it less likely that you'll push them, more likely that you'll give them the rest they need.

'Feeling better' can be a trap, in that the moment we feel better we start doing more, and that's when we get a setback. You've obviously been doing more over Christmas than you usually do, and if you've been reading the boards this week, you'll know you're not the only one whose feet hurt!

The fact is, you ARE better. 2-4 level pain is a whole lot better than pain that has you crawling, as you were last year. This is not the end of the story. This time next year you'll probably be a whole lot better still. Look forward to that - and to next year's snowman! (Just don't do too much over Christmas.)

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:11 (068026)

Valerie, I am so sorry that you are suffering now. I can relate to what you said about improving and then feeling as if you are at a standstill...It does seem that whenever we feel better, we start doing more, and then we 'slide back' again.

I hope that now that the holidays are almost past, you will be able to rest more and the pain will subside. And I can relate to the feeling that if you have your Birks, you can survive, as you said.

You have a new home? That sounds nice. I hope you enjoy it this winter! :-)

Re: Thanks everybody!

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 10:02 (068065)

Hi.

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement... this time of year is a great time to count your blessings, and I have had many this year and throughout my life.

I hope we can all experience joy and relief into the new year and beyond. Things could be a heck of a lot worse...

Thanks and good luck to all... Val.

Tammie on 12/29/01 at 21:09 (068105)

Amen to that ! Val you are great gee I missed u! I do hope you are enjoying your new home. Looking foward to the new year ahead and to seeing many good posts about everyone healing or at least lots of continued friendships.Take care

john h on 1/02/02 at 09:39 (068431)

D. Thomas I like the way you put this on again off again disease. The light at the end of the tunnel often turns into a train headed your way.

D.Thomas on 12/28/01 at 13:37 (067996)

Valarie,

I can relate. I was also doing better about a month ago, but the last month I feel like I am back to square one. It is amazing how many times I have been excited that maybe I am getting better, just to find out that they start hurting again later down the road.

Sometimes I have no idea what caused them to hurt again. And then I know it takes about two weeks for the constant throbbing or burning to go away and I have to start all over again.

God, the worst part is that you don't know if it will ever stop completely. I keep teliing people that I could take the pain for two years if I knew it would be over in two years. It's the not knowing when or if ever it will get better. One day you feel better the next you don't. What gets worse is when you start to say 'last month I was better, but this month sucks.' When the measure goes from days to months, that is when you realize this really sucks.

Laurie R on 12/28/01 at 14:21 (067998)

Dearest Val , Frist off , I think you know us well enough now to know we are all here when ever you need us .. I am happy to hear that you are better then you were .. I have done just what you have before . I would trick myself into feeling better and do more. I thought if I did this I would get better. I have heard over and over that if all I do is focus on the pain then I will always feel the pain . I can say now for sure the pain I am in IS NOT JUST IN MY HEAD.... I do what ever it takes to lower my terrible pain now . I don't just lay around . I do biofeedback which I will say helps so much . I still go to PT .

Now with also having RSD the pain can get really out of control. Pain is real .

What I am trying to say Val , I understand where you are coming from . I wish you only the best . Remember we are here for you ... I have missed you and your posts ..

Take care .... Your friend always , Laurie R

Necee on 12/28/01 at 15:15 (068004)

Hi Valerie,
It's so good to hear from you. I'm sorry that your feet are still hurting, we do have a tendency to want to do more, therefore trying to forget about the pain force ourselves and trudge on, which is only doing more harm than good.
I have found that if I stay off my feet, I don't hurt near as bad but on the other hand, I'm the type of person that wants to be active, I'm always up and going, but this foot thing has really forced me to look at my daily activities differently.
I do hope that the New Year brings you much peace and relief from your pain. Please keep in touch with us here, as long as we all stay connected to this message board we can support eachother.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Julie on 12/28/01 at 15:57 (068012)

Val, it's always good to acknowledge reality. If your feet hurt, they hurt, and there's no point in pretending otherwise. Facing up to it also makes it less likely that you'll push them, more likely that you'll give them the rest they need.

'Feeling better' can be a trap, in that the moment we feel better we start doing more, and that's when we get a setback. You've obviously been doing more over Christmas than you usually do, and if you've been reading the boards this week, you'll know you're not the only one whose feet hurt!

The fact is, you ARE better. 2-4 level pain is a whole lot better than pain that has you crawling, as you were last year. This is not the end of the story. This time next year you'll probably be a whole lot better still. Look forward to that - and to next year's snowman! (Just don't do too much over Christmas.)

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:11 (068026)

Valerie, I am so sorry that you are suffering now. I can relate to what you said about improving and then feeling as if you are at a standstill...It does seem that whenever we feel better, we start doing more, and then we 'slide back' again.

I hope that now that the holidays are almost past, you will be able to rest more and the pain will subside. And I can relate to the feeling that if you have your Birks, you can survive, as you said.

You have a new home? That sounds nice. I hope you enjoy it this winter! :-)

Valerie S on 12/29/01 at 10:02 (068065)

Hi.

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement... this time of year is a great time to count your blessings, and I have had many this year and throughout my life.

I hope we can all experience joy and relief into the new year and beyond. Things could be a heck of a lot worse...

Thanks and good luck to all... Val.

Tammie on 12/29/01 at 21:09 (068105)

Amen to that ! Val you are great gee I missed u! I do hope you are enjoying your new home. Looking foward to the new year ahead and to seeing many good posts about everyone healing or at least lots of continued friendships.Take care

john h on 1/02/02 at 09:39 (068431)

D. Thomas I like the way you put this on again off again disease. The light at the end of the tunnel often turns into a train headed your way.