Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tammie where are you?

Posted by Necee on 12/28/01 at 15:38 (068009)

Tammie,
I haven't seen any of your heartfelt posts lately. And I miss reading them.
I do hope and pray that you are doing well and taking this holiday time to spend it with your family.
Please email me when time allows, your such a dear friend and I miss you!
Love and prayers,
Necee

Re: Tammie where are you?

Tammie on 12/28/01 at 21:22 (068033)

Necee, I am sorry I am here, lurking lol! Just have not had much to post, alot on my mind! I do like some of the ideas about christmas and gift giving. I would like to add that any gift that is given should always be given from the heart never because u have to . To me that is not a gift at all if u have to buy it or get it .

This year I was feeling a bit low as I could not shop like normal it really depressed me as I LOVE shopping and buying gifts. So to make me feel as tho I did something from my heart and for the good It started with just me adopting the nursing home I work at. I started buying things as i would be out and I realized I could not possibly get for all so I asked my sister if she would like to help. so between her and her 3 boys they made 48 cards and pins as a craft and she bought some gifts , they were all small, powders, scents, lotions perfumes, footie socks , knee highs and such and we made bags for all the residents. It was fun when I went to work christmas day to pass out bags while they were at breakfast . They really loved it. It gave me the biggest joy, and my nephews had a blast and I am so proud of them for the work into the cards they put. Maybe you could think of a craft to do and as a family do something like this , it could be on a smaller scale, as a whole nursing home is allot of work lol! I just couldnt only do for a few tho as I love them all hehehe!It sure reminded me of how just little things can mean so very much to those with little.

By the way I did email you yesterday! Take care and hugs to u always!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 01:06 (068050)

Tammie, you're wonderful. I can just imagine the pleasure of the people at your nursing home at getting your offerings! Such a thoughtful, loving, thing to do. Right from the heart.

I saw your post to poor Tracey on the TTS board and thought that was wonderful too.

Don't stay away: you're needed here.

Re: tammie --- iknew that you had a BIG heart

linda A on 12/29/01 at 15:55 (068092)

i just did not know how big it really was . when you help me w/ my little project . i am also so proud of your little nephews for helping out w/ the gift bags . what a wonderful idea ! every year in dec one of our o.r. nurse's puts on a bake sale where the whole o.r.staff helps out bringing in items to sale and to be raffled away to help out needy families . this year we raised $ 500 . i am so proud each year that we do this project and for this nurse , dot o'niel for commiting long hours out of her daily life to do this . it is very up lifting for me knowing that i helped out just a little . way to go tammie ! linda

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 16:12 (068093)

That was a wonderful gift for the nursing home residents, Tammie! To be remembered is wonderful in the first place, but then for you to take your time and energy, along with your sister and nephews, that was even more special! I am sure you put many smiles on lonely faces with your act of kindness...:-)

I hope the new year brings much healing to your feet and happiness to your heart! You are always bringing sunshine to others!

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 16:15 (068094)

That was a wonderful thing for you all to do, Linda! I am sure that each of you is very busy, but to take the time to bake things to help out needy families - I am impressed!

I hope you have a Happy New Year, Linda!

Re: No thanks needed,please I am embarresed

Tammie on 12/29/01 at 20:54 (068101)

When I told you about this I was not looking for aplause,heheh I just was trying to show that the gift of giving is indeed from the heart. In many ways,for each it has to be found in your own unique way. It Kinda helps that over comercial type christmas,take a bit of the back seat and let the true fun and enjoyment of gift giving. I love to do anything I can to help , I have been given many generous gifts in my life and some include the most simple of things and some are the easiest gift to give anyone. Those are the gift of words or the shoulder and just the being there for a bounce back.I kinda feel that if I can do one good thing maybe in turn someone else will try it and then we have a chain effect and look soon everyone is doing something good or nice for someone . I am not the one who does something so that I get a pat or a how wonderful I dont like that in fact I feel very uncomfortable hearing you telling me this as I did it cause I really care and intended it to be a secret santa, and well things did not work that way, but the means was the same.

Just a kind thought to so many kind people who have helped make my life a little bit richer in love and happiness. I have heard so many wonderful stories, about war times and depression and 'good ole days ' as they like to share. A wonderful expierance .I felt very sad to read that some actually feel like it is not fun to gift give and that is why I wrote about this. As it is never the price of a gift or lets say it shouldnt be, it is the loving and careful thought as to how to get a smile or make someone feel truly special.

I thought maybe this might show that doing something with a family can be alot of fun and have many lessons to share, by the way I forgot to say my daughter helped also ,it started off her being angry with me for doing something so stupid(as she thought it was),But soon into it she was very much caught up in it and is already talking next year how to do it nicer. I think she learned it is fun to make someone else happy, and how very little it took to do this. We ended up having a great learning expierance and some good laughter and yes some fun! She is 13 and well kinda in that all about me stage so this was very good for her!I hope it gave her some insight to the real meanings of giving .

You know some here can do the same , there are many ways , gifts to the animal shelters , the childrens homes, I mean really there are so many different areas and it could be so unique,I am already picking things up on sale for my secret santa box hehehe. I also liked the auction it sounded interesting sort of a white elephant sale I bet that could be used at any time of year I have heard that some do that at family reunions to help defray the meat costs. Great ideas here!

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 21:31 (068107)

Hi, Tammie! Didn't mean to embarass you; just proud of you and wanting to let you know! :-) I, too, like giving to others, and like many here don't enjoy the 'I'll get you a $10 gift, you get me one,' but the real giving that comes from the heart and does not expect anything in return. That, to me, is true giving - no matter how it is expressed! And, yes, that kind of giving makes for wonderful chains of hope and encouragement!

Re: i am glad that you shared your story w/ us .

linda A on 12/30/01 at 08:49 (068119)

when people share their stories it get others ,like me thinking how i can help . this is the second time i read something about the 'white elephant sale ' , can someone please explain this idea to me ? i would be very grateful to understand new concepts . suzanne and john------ as you may know i was mighty happy over the win ( kentucky wildcats over louisville cardinals ) . i do still like rick pitino . linda ( lou.,ky)

John h on 12/30/01 at 10:24 (068129)

Linda: Rick was your hero for many years. How quick we forget. I watched some of the game until it got out of reach for the Cardinals and then swiched to something else. You got our old Arkasas coach for a while if you have not forgotten Eddie Sutton. We are of course mad at Eddie as you are at Rick.

Re: To Linda Re: White Elephant

Necee on 12/31/01 at 00:32 (068180)

The concept of the White Elephant gift exchange goes like this:
Everyone is asked to bring a simple wrapped gift, it can be something that you have around the house that you no longer want or it can be something that you purchased, the gifts are put into a pile. Numbers are written on pieces of paper for the number of people participating. Each person draws a number, the person with the number 1 gets to pick any gift from the pile, they unwrap the gift, then the person with the number 2 can either pick from the pile or if they wish they can take the gift away from number 1 if they want it. If number 1 got their gift taken away then they go back to the pile and pick again. It goes on like this until everyone has chosen a gift, then at the end of the game the person who had the number 1 gets the last choice on the gifts. It can make for a very interesting exchange of presents!
I hope this hasn't confused you.....any questions?
Happy Trails,
Necee

Re: necee----thank you explaining it to me ! sounds fun

linda A on 12/31/01 at 18:23 (068274)

thank you for explaining the white elephant to me . i had ask my nurse friends at work , but no one seemed to know what i was talking about . they thought i had hit the bottle again ( ky moonshine ). ha ha ha !!! the game sounds fun . linda (ky)

Re: oh john---- please do not bring up eddie name

linda A on 12/31/01 at 18:30 (068276)

there was some crooked dealins going on when old eddie was around . u of k got into big time trouble with him . that is when rick pulled us out of his mess . you can keep old eddie down SOUTH for all we care . do you not remember the big probation period that we had to endure because of him and his son . linda

Necee on 12/31/01 at 23:43 (068301)

It is a lot of fun! Hope you try it next Christmas. We always have lots of laughs when we exchange gifts the White Elephant way, now if I could just figure out why they call it white elephant!
Happy New Year to you
Necee

Tammie on 12/28/01 at 21:22 (068033)

Necee, I am sorry I am here, lurking lol! Just have not had much to post, alot on my mind! I do like some of the ideas about christmas and gift giving. I would like to add that any gift that is given should always be given from the heart never because u have to . To me that is not a gift at all if u have to buy it or get it .

This year I was feeling a bit low as I could not shop like normal it really depressed me as I LOVE shopping and buying gifts. So to make me feel as tho I did something from my heart and for the good It started with just me adopting the nursing home I work at. I started buying things as i would be out and I realized I could not possibly get for all so I asked my sister if she would like to help. so between her and her 3 boys they made 48 cards and pins as a craft and she bought some gifts , they were all small, powders, scents, lotions perfumes, footie socks , knee highs and such and we made bags for all the residents. It was fun when I went to work christmas day to pass out bags while they were at breakfast . They really loved it. It gave me the biggest joy, and my nephews had a blast and I am so proud of them for the work into the cards they put. Maybe you could think of a craft to do and as a family do something like this , it could be on a smaller scale, as a whole nursing home is allot of work lol! I just couldnt only do for a few tho as I love them all hehehe!It sure reminded me of how just little things can mean so very much to those with little.

By the way I did email you yesterday! Take care and hugs to u always!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 01:06 (068050)

Tammie, you're wonderful. I can just imagine the pleasure of the people at your nursing home at getting your offerings! Such a thoughtful, loving, thing to do. Right from the heart.

I saw your post to poor Tracey on the TTS board and thought that was wonderful too.

Don't stay away: you're needed here.

linda A on 12/29/01 at 15:55 (068092)

i just did not know how big it really was . when you help me w/ my little project . i am also so proud of your little nephews for helping out w/ the gift bags . what a wonderful idea ! every year in dec one of our o.r. nurse's puts on a bake sale where the whole o.r.staff helps out bringing in items to sale and to be raffled away to help out needy families . this year we raised $ 500 . i am so proud each year that we do this project and for this nurse , dot o'niel for commiting long hours out of her daily life to do this . it is very up lifting for me knowing that i helped out just a little . way to go tammie ! linda

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 16:12 (068093)

That was a wonderful gift for the nursing home residents, Tammie! To be remembered is wonderful in the first place, but then for you to take your time and energy, along with your sister and nephews, that was even more special! I am sure you put many smiles on lonely faces with your act of kindness...:-)

I hope the new year brings much healing to your feet and happiness to your heart! You are always bringing sunshine to others!

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 16:15 (068094)

That was a wonderful thing for you all to do, Linda! I am sure that each of you is very busy, but to take the time to bake things to help out needy families - I am impressed!

I hope you have a Happy New Year, Linda!

Tammie on 12/29/01 at 20:54 (068101)

When I told you about this I was not looking for aplause,heheh I just was trying to show that the gift of giving is indeed from the heart. In many ways,for each it has to be found in your own unique way. It Kinda helps that over comercial type christmas,take a bit of the back seat and let the true fun and enjoyment of gift giving. I love to do anything I can to help , I have been given many generous gifts in my life and some include the most simple of things and some are the easiest gift to give anyone. Those are the gift of words or the shoulder and just the being there for a bounce back.I kinda feel that if I can do one good thing maybe in turn someone else will try it and then we have a chain effect and look soon everyone is doing something good or nice for someone . I am not the one who does something so that I get a pat or a how wonderful I dont like that in fact I feel very uncomfortable hearing you telling me this as I did it cause I really care and intended it to be a secret santa, and well things did not work that way, but the means was the same.

Just a kind thought to so many kind people who have helped make my life a little bit richer in love and happiness. I have heard so many wonderful stories, about war times and depression and 'good ole days ' as they like to share. A wonderful expierance .I felt very sad to read that some actually feel like it is not fun to gift give and that is why I wrote about this. As it is never the price of a gift or lets say it shouldnt be, it is the loving and careful thought as to how to get a smile or make someone feel truly special.

I thought maybe this might show that doing something with a family can be alot of fun and have many lessons to share, by the way I forgot to say my daughter helped also ,it started off her being angry with me for doing something so stupid(as she thought it was),But soon into it she was very much caught up in it and is already talking next year how to do it nicer. I think she learned it is fun to make someone else happy, and how very little it took to do this. We ended up having a great learning expierance and some good laughter and yes some fun! She is 13 and well kinda in that all about me stage so this was very good for her!I hope it gave her some insight to the real meanings of giving .

You know some here can do the same , there are many ways , gifts to the animal shelters , the childrens homes, I mean really there are so many different areas and it could be so unique,I am already picking things up on sale for my secret santa box hehehe. I also liked the auction it sounded interesting sort of a white elephant sale I bet that could be used at any time of year I have heard that some do that at family reunions to help defray the meat costs. Great ideas here!

Suzanne D on 12/29/01 at 21:31 (068107)

Hi, Tammie! Didn't mean to embarass you; just proud of you and wanting to let you know! :-) I, too, like giving to others, and like many here don't enjoy the 'I'll get you a $10 gift, you get me one,' but the real giving that comes from the heart and does not expect anything in return. That, to me, is true giving - no matter how it is expressed! And, yes, that kind of giving makes for wonderful chains of hope and encouragement!

linda A on 12/30/01 at 08:49 (068119)

when people share their stories it get others ,like me thinking how i can help . this is the second time i read something about the 'white elephant sale ' , can someone please explain this idea to me ? i would be very grateful to understand new concepts . suzanne and john------ as you may know i was mighty happy over the win ( kentucky wildcats over louisville cardinals ) . i do still like rick pitino . linda ( lou.,ky)

John h on 12/30/01 at 10:24 (068129)

Linda: Rick was your hero for many years. How quick we forget. I watched some of the game until it got out of reach for the Cardinals and then swiched to something else. You got our old Arkasas coach for a while if you have not forgotten Eddie Sutton. We are of course mad at Eddie as you are at Rick.

Re: To Linda Re: White Elephant

Necee on 12/31/01 at 00:32 (068180)

The concept of the White Elephant gift exchange goes like this:
Everyone is asked to bring a simple wrapped gift, it can be something that you have around the house that you no longer want or it can be something that you purchased, the gifts are put into a pile. Numbers are written on pieces of paper for the number of people participating. Each person draws a number, the person with the number 1 gets to pick any gift from the pile, they unwrap the gift, then the person with the number 2 can either pick from the pile or if they wish they can take the gift away from number 1 if they want it. If number 1 got their gift taken away then they go back to the pile and pick again. It goes on like this until everyone has chosen a gift, then at the end of the game the person who had the number 1 gets the last choice on the gifts. It can make for a very interesting exchange of presents!
I hope this hasn't confused you.....any questions?
Happy Trails,
Necee

linda A on 12/31/01 at 18:23 (068274)

thank you for explaining the white elephant to me . i had ask my nurse friends at work , but no one seemed to know what i was talking about . they thought i had hit the bottle again ( ky moonshine ). ha ha ha !!! the game sounds fun . linda (ky)

Re: oh john---- please do not bring up eddie name

linda A on 12/31/01 at 18:30 (068276)

there was some crooked dealins going on when old eddie was around . u of k got into big time trouble with him . that is when rick pulled us out of his mess . you can keep old eddie down SOUTH for all we care . do you not remember the big probation period that we had to endure because of him and his son . linda

Necee on 12/31/01 at 23:43 (068301)

It is a lot of fun! Hope you try it next Christmas. We always have lots of laughs when we exchange gifts the White Elephant way, now if I could just figure out why they call it white elephant!
Happy New Year to you
Necee