Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle & hip popping

Posted by Karen R. on 12/28/01 at 18:53 (068021)

I have an app't with a podiatrist next week but was wondering in the meantime if anyone else has a problem with their hips or ankles popping? I know the way I walk is having this effect on me. It isn't painful but I can really feel it, especially the ankle. The Celebrex I have doesn't really seem to help much and I am afraid to use the Aleve or Advil too much.

Re: ankle & hip popping

Julie on 12/29/01 at 00:40 (068045)

Karen, it's not clear from your post if the pain in your hips and ankles is the primary reason for your seeing a podiatrist, or if it's secondary to heel pain or other foot pain. But I'll take a chance on the latter. When your feet hurt, you change the way you walk to compensate for the pain, and when you change the way you walk all your other joints are affected. So it's not surprising that your ankles and hips hurt (what about your knees?) and the best thing is to do as little as possible to stress them further. In other words, walk as little as possible.

When you see the podiatrist he will hopefully examine you fully, identify the cause of your foot pain and suggest a comprehensive treatment plan to address it.

Carole C on 12/29/01 at 12:37 (068083)

My joints have always popped a little, but I haven't noticed them doing this lately (probably because I have been resting my feet so much).

By the way, I'd like to mention that there are good reasons to be careful of what you take with Celebrex. I don't think Aleve and Advil are allowed while Celebrex is still in your body, due to their interactions with Celebrex, though I could be wrong. Anyway, there are pain medications that must not be combined with it, and it might be smart to check the warnings or ask your doctor before switching to something else.

Carole C

Re: heel spurs

kim m on 2/06/02 at 19:09 (072850)

i have severe heel pain why? can a doctor tell that you have heel pain even when they are not hurting?

Julie on 12/29/01 at 00:40 (068045)

Karen, it's not clear from your post if the pain in your hips and ankles is the primary reason for your seeing a podiatrist, or if it's secondary to heel pain or other foot pain. But I'll take a chance on the latter. When your feet hurt, you change the way you walk to compensate for the pain, and when you change the way you walk all your other joints are affected. So it's not surprising that your ankles and hips hurt (what about your knees?) and the best thing is to do as little as possible to stress them further. In other words, walk as little as possible.

When you see the podiatrist he will hopefully examine you fully, identify the cause of your foot pain and suggest a comprehensive treatment plan to address it.

Carole C on 12/29/01 at 12:37 (068083)

My joints have always popped a little, but I haven't noticed them doing this lately (probably because I have been resting my feet so much).

By the way, I'd like to mention that there are good reasons to be careful of what you take with Celebrex. I don't think Aleve and Advil are allowed while Celebrex is still in your body, due to their interactions with Celebrex, though I could be wrong. Anyway, there are pain medications that must not be combined with it, and it might be smart to check the warnings or ask your doctor before switching to something else.

Carole C

Re: heel spurs

kim m on 2/06/02 at 19:09 (072850)

i have severe heel pain why? can a doctor tell that you have heel pain even when they are not hurting?