Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new diagnosis

Posted by rebecca h on 12/28/01 at 19:10 (068024)

Hi everyone!
Well....
after my appointment with Dr. Kosova yesterday I've learned that there was more to my foot pain than Plantar Fasciitis. My forefoot pain was from sesamoiditis (the little bones just under your big toe joint) and I also have posterior tibial tendonitis. It really hurt when he pushed on this tendon which runs around the inside of the ankle. I knew it had to be more than just plantar fasciitis. NOT that THAT isn't enough!! I got an MRI too which showed nothing remarkable. It's good to know I don't have any fractures or anything serious. I am now totally off my feet (well, except for maybe 5 minutes per day.)and icing for twenty minutes every two hours with soft fabric covered gel pacs. I now finally feel like there is light at the end of this foot pain tunnel. Even though it was an hour and a half from my house it was worth the trip . I would encourage you all to keep hunting till you find a doctor you feel good about. Hope you are all getting better.

rebecca

Re: new diagnosis

Laurie R on 12/28/01 at 19:15 (068027)

Hi Rebecca , I am so glad you took the trip to see Dr Kosova ... I always knew he was a great doctor . His wife is so wonderful also . They both have answered my many questions in the passed . I think if I am right Dr Kosova even read my MRI report , I think I faxed it to him as well as Dr Z. We are so lucky to have these wonderful doctors on the board that help us ......

My very best to you .. I hope you recover fast from this .....Laurie R

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:16 (068028)

Rebecca, I am sorry that you have other foot problems besides PF, but I am glad that you have had a thorough diagnosis and hope that you are on the road to recovery now!!! How long must you be totally off your feet?

I want you to know that now whenever I play the piano at church, I think of you and remember your first post (or at least the first one I saw) in which you remarked that you were staying home and would be missing playing at your church service. I say a prayer for you at those times.

Take care, and I hope all your family is recovered from the other illnesses you have expereinced!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 00:54 (068047)

Rebecca, I'm glad you made the journey and that you now have a doctor who can really help you. Has he proposed any treatment besides rest and icing, or will he wait to see what effect that has first? Are you going to go on seeing him?

It must be a relief finally to know what is really going on with your feet. It was obvious that there was more than PF involved, and frustrating not to have that acknowledged by your previous pod. I hope you'll tell him what the situation really is! And maybe get your money back for those orthotics. (What did Dr Kosova think of them, by the way?)

clara on 12/29/01 at 05:32 (068054)

Hi there Julie! I thought you was on a vacation? Are you back, or what? Nice to 'hear your voice'!

And Rebecca, I hope you will get better. It may help to get the diagnosis, because then you´ll get help, I´m totally sure! Never EVER give up!

//Clara

Julie on 12/29/01 at 06:41 (068055)

Hi/Hej Clara! No, I'm still home, but leaving tomorrow afternoon. I'm so glad you are better!

Re: What a relief! And a BIG step towards your recovery

Carole C on 12/29/01 at 09:57 (068064)

Rebecca, I'm so glad that he was able to determine the source of your pain. As hideously painful as PF is, I just knew from your posts that the foot problems you are experiencing had to go beyond PF! I'm just glad it wasn't cancer, broken bones, or worse.

A diagnosis is the first step in your recovery. Now that your doctor knows what is wrong, he knows how to treat it. Making you stay off your feet is a great first step, and should help in your PF as well.

Best of luck to you, and as quick a recovery as possible!

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/29/01 at 22:44 (068112)

He gave me a shot in one foot to relieve the forefoot pain and its already making a difference. Remember that night time throbbing burning aching pain I was having in my forefeet? Well, now its only in the foot that didn't get the shot. He would have given me another shot but I wimped out. OH, I just remembered this may be an American expression that is not used in England. It basically means I was a coward. Now I wish I had gotten that other shot too. I would now be getting a full night's rest!!!!!

Also I have on a soft cast on for the posterior tibial tendon to heal. It keeps my foot from bending to much at the ankle but I do have some movement. And about the orthotics, I think he said they were too rigid, that the arch wasn't flexible enough. I don't remember his exact words.
Anyway, now I am off my feet 23 hours and 55 minutes per day. It is really hard: the last 48 hours have seemed like a month-but I know it will be worth it to let these poor feet heal.

rebecca h

Julie on 12/30/01 at 02:16 (068116)

Rebecca, it sounds as though you're on the right track now, and I wish you every success. It must be very hard to be off your feet ALL the time (not counting those precious five minutes) but it's right, andit will help. Please keep posting on your progress.

About the orthotics - if they are too rigid, they would certainly have worsened your forefoot pain. It was very remiss of your first pod not to take that pain seriously. Surely you have a very good case for a refund, and I hope you'll get it.

Re: Suzanne

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:02 (068120)

Thank you Suzanne. Today is another Sunday I'm missing. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Re: Laurie

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:06 (068121)

Yes! I am so glad to have found him. I never knew good podiatrists were so hard to find. But I guess the medical profession is like other professions. There are different levels of knowledge, experience and compassion. I have hope now that my feet will get better. Maybe even in a few weeks-dare I hope???

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:07 (068122)

Thanks Carole,

And how about you? ARe you continuing to get better? I hope so!

Carole C on 12/30/01 at 09:45 (068126)

Hi Rebecca! I am still holding my own, about the same I guess. I would be feeling lots better if I had continued resting as much as I was, but I haven't.

Here's an example. Friday night an old flame, Frank, took me out to dinner. I don't know if I posted about that here or not; he lives in Connecticut now, but he is in town for the holidays. Anyway, he took me out to eat at Copelands which was marvelous, and then afterwards he drove around and gave me a wonderful personalized tour of New Orleans until 2 AM. He grew up here, so he knows the history of every building and so on and I heard a million fascinating stories about this city. I really enjoyed myself, so much!

But back to my feet. Even though the evening was almost all sitting or in a car, he couldn't find a parking spot very close to the restaurant so I had to walk half a block from his car to the restaurant and back. That was enough that my feet didn't really improve from the evenings otherwise light activities. When he brought me back to my gated apartment complex, I realized that I had forgotten my gate card. He gallantly walked the half mile into the complex and back to retrieve it from my car for me. But that made me feel a little like an invalid and 'poor me' because I couldn't offer to do it myself. He wouldn't have let me do it, but I could have at least offered. Still, I have to accept that I have limitations right now.

I could go to the grocery store today, but if I do I won't get any better today. Difficult decision! LOL For me, rest is vitally important, and so are my orthotics and never going barefoot. Sometimes I forget my stretches and then wonder why I feel worse (so then I remember to do them the next day!).

I think that for me it is so important to realize that I should do LESS than I feel like I can do, not the same amount that I feel like I can do. When I follow that rule, I improve. When I don't, I tread water and that is what I've been doing lately.

Meanwhile, friends that don't know about PF are saying, 'well how long did the doctor say it would take for your feet to heal? It's been a long time now!', and 'why don't you just have surgery, and get it over with?' (sigh)

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though. I feel pretty sure that I will get better if/when I rest more. I am already starting to think about getting some Tatamis for the summer, and maybe putting my orthotics in another slightly more attractive pair of black tie-up shoes eventually. But, that is further down the road. Right now I'm just glad that I can at least wear my Birkenstocks and socks when I go on a date, rather than my black clunkies with orthotics.

Beverly on 12/30/01 at 10:31 (068130)

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad you got a diagnosis... even if it was frustrating to learn about more conditions.

I too have PTT along with PF. I developed the PTT several months after the PF. My first orthopedic surgeon did not push me towards a brace... said I'd hate it. I didn't want to give up my Birks to wear an athletic shoe with orthodics and brace; so I didn't encourage him to put me in a brace either. I wish I'd worn one in the beginning. I could have saved myself much misery.

But about a year into this, I moved to another city and got a new doctor.
I was still suffering... foot and ankle. This new orthopedic surgeon put me in a brace (the kind that you wear with an athletic shoe). That along with a successful pair of orthodics helped my PTT tremendously. It was a pain in the butt to wear, but I'm glad I did.

I had many months of almost complete recovery of the PTT. (The PF never went away but did get somewhat better. I also have Achilles Tendonitis that flares up and calms down off and on... )

Well, about a month ago, I had a near fall and reinjured the PTT. I had acute pain at the arch and up the inner ankle. I was put back in a brace.
I told him the last one was not that comfortable, and he found me something that was more agreeable for my body. (I've found that orthopedic doctors usually have several different ways to immobilize you. ) But I would never pick out something without his approval.

I find that the brace helps a great deal. When I don't wear it, I really feel the difference. Like you, I'm on 'house arrest' although not quite as extreme as yours. I have to tip my hat to you if you are able to stay off your feet that much. I don't have to wear it when I am off my feet. So, I am constantly relacing the thing, but it is worth it.

So, I am hoping that in a couple of months, I'll at least be back to my 'previous level of dysfunction.'

Best wishes. Keep us posted on your recovery.
Beverly

Re: Re:Rebecca

Laurie R on 12/30/01 at 11:23 (068132)

YES , YES , YES Rebecca always have hope , don't ever give up hope ... That is all we have sometimes.. Hope and dreams is something no one can take from us . I do feel for you having and being in so much pain . But it does sound like you have a very good plan . I wish you only the best ... I hope you continue to feel better... Laurie R

Laurie R on 12/28/01 at 19:15 (068027)

Hi Rebecca , I am so glad you took the trip to see Dr Kosova ... I always knew he was a great doctor . His wife is so wonderful also . They both have answered my many questions in the passed . I think if I am right Dr Kosova even read my MRI report , I think I faxed it to him as well as Dr Z. We are so lucky to have these wonderful doctors on the board that help us ......

My very best to you .. I hope you recover fast from this .....Laurie R

Suzanne D on 12/28/01 at 19:16 (068028)

Rebecca, I am sorry that you have other foot problems besides PF, but I am glad that you have had a thorough diagnosis and hope that you are on the road to recovery now!!! How long must you be totally off your feet?

I want you to know that now whenever I play the piano at church, I think of you and remember your first post (or at least the first one I saw) in which you remarked that you were staying home and would be missing playing at your church service. I say a prayer for you at those times.

Take care, and I hope all your family is recovered from the other illnesses you have expereinced!

Julie on 12/29/01 at 00:54 (068047)

Rebecca, I'm glad you made the journey and that you now have a doctor who can really help you. Has he proposed any treatment besides rest and icing, or will he wait to see what effect that has first? Are you going to go on seeing him?

It must be a relief finally to know what is really going on with your feet. It was obvious that there was more than PF involved, and frustrating not to have that acknowledged by your previous pod. I hope you'll tell him what the situation really is! And maybe get your money back for those orthotics. (What did Dr Kosova think of them, by the way?)

clara on 12/29/01 at 05:32 (068054)

Hi there Julie! I thought you was on a vacation? Are you back, or what? Nice to 'hear your voice'!

And Rebecca, I hope you will get better. It may help to get the diagnosis, because then you´ll get help, I´m totally sure! Never EVER give up!

//Clara

Julie on 12/29/01 at 06:41 (068055)

Hi/Hej Clara! No, I'm still home, but leaving tomorrow afternoon. I'm so glad you are better!

Carole C on 12/29/01 at 09:57 (068064)

Rebecca, I'm so glad that he was able to determine the source of your pain. As hideously painful as PF is, I just knew from your posts that the foot problems you are experiencing had to go beyond PF! I'm just glad it wasn't cancer, broken bones, or worse.

A diagnosis is the first step in your recovery. Now that your doctor knows what is wrong, he knows how to treat it. Making you stay off your feet is a great first step, and should help in your PF as well.

Best of luck to you, and as quick a recovery as possible!

Carole C

rebecca h on 12/29/01 at 22:44 (068112)

He gave me a shot in one foot to relieve the forefoot pain and its already making a difference. Remember that night time throbbing burning aching pain I was having in my forefeet? Well, now its only in the foot that didn't get the shot. He would have given me another shot but I wimped out. OH, I just remembered this may be an American expression that is not used in England. It basically means I was a coward. Now I wish I had gotten that other shot too. I would now be getting a full night's rest!!!!!

Also I have on a soft cast on for the posterior tibial tendon to heal. It keeps my foot from bending to much at the ankle but I do have some movement. And about the orthotics, I think he said they were too rigid, that the arch wasn't flexible enough. I don't remember his exact words.
Anyway, now I am off my feet 23 hours and 55 minutes per day. It is really hard: the last 48 hours have seemed like a month-but I know it will be worth it to let these poor feet heal.

rebecca h

Julie on 12/30/01 at 02:16 (068116)

Rebecca, it sounds as though you're on the right track now, and I wish you every success. It must be very hard to be off your feet ALL the time (not counting those precious five minutes) but it's right, andit will help. Please keep posting on your progress.

About the orthotics - if they are too rigid, they would certainly have worsened your forefoot pain. It was very remiss of your first pod not to take that pain seriously. Surely you have a very good case for a refund, and I hope you'll get it.

Re: Suzanne

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:02 (068120)

Thank you Suzanne. Today is another Sunday I'm missing. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Re: Laurie

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:06 (068121)

Yes! I am so glad to have found him. I never knew good podiatrists were so hard to find. But I guess the medical profession is like other professions. There are different levels of knowledge, experience and compassion. I have hope now that my feet will get better. Maybe even in a few weeks-dare I hope???

rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:07 (068122)

Thanks Carole,

And how about you? ARe you continuing to get better? I hope so!

Carole C on 12/30/01 at 09:45 (068126)

Hi Rebecca! I am still holding my own, about the same I guess. I would be feeling lots better if I had continued resting as much as I was, but I haven't.

Here's an example. Friday night an old flame, Frank, took me out to dinner. I don't know if I posted about that here or not; he lives in Connecticut now, but he is in town for the holidays. Anyway, he took me out to eat at Copelands which was marvelous, and then afterwards he drove around and gave me a wonderful personalized tour of New Orleans until 2 AM. He grew up here, so he knows the history of every building and so on and I heard a million fascinating stories about this city. I really enjoyed myself, so much!

But back to my feet. Even though the evening was almost all sitting or in a car, he couldn't find a parking spot very close to the restaurant so I had to walk half a block from his car to the restaurant and back. That was enough that my feet didn't really improve from the evenings otherwise light activities. When he brought me back to my gated apartment complex, I realized that I had forgotten my gate card. He gallantly walked the half mile into the complex and back to retrieve it from my car for me. But that made me feel a little like an invalid and 'poor me' because I couldn't offer to do it myself. He wouldn't have let me do it, but I could have at least offered. Still, I have to accept that I have limitations right now.

I could go to the grocery store today, but if I do I won't get any better today. Difficult decision! LOL For me, rest is vitally important, and so are my orthotics and never going barefoot. Sometimes I forget my stretches and then wonder why I feel worse (so then I remember to do them the next day!).

I think that for me it is so important to realize that I should do LESS than I feel like I can do, not the same amount that I feel like I can do. When I follow that rule, I improve. When I don't, I tread water and that is what I've been doing lately.

Meanwhile, friends that don't know about PF are saying, 'well how long did the doctor say it would take for your feet to heal? It's been a long time now!', and 'why don't you just have surgery, and get it over with?' (sigh)

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though. I feel pretty sure that I will get better if/when I rest more. I am already starting to think about getting some Tatamis for the summer, and maybe putting my orthotics in another slightly more attractive pair of black tie-up shoes eventually. But, that is further down the road. Right now I'm just glad that I can at least wear my Birkenstocks and socks when I go on a date, rather than my black clunkies with orthotics.

Beverly on 12/30/01 at 10:31 (068130)

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad you got a diagnosis... even if it was frustrating to learn about more conditions.

I too have PTT along with PF. I developed the PTT several months after the PF. My first orthopedic surgeon did not push me towards a brace... said I'd hate it. I didn't want to give up my Birks to wear an athletic shoe with orthodics and brace; so I didn't encourage him to put me in a brace either. I wish I'd worn one in the beginning. I could have saved myself much misery.

But about a year into this, I moved to another city and got a new doctor.
I was still suffering... foot and ankle. This new orthopedic surgeon put me in a brace (the kind that you wear with an athletic shoe). That along with a successful pair of orthodics helped my PTT tremendously. It was a pain in the butt to wear, but I'm glad I did.

I had many months of almost complete recovery of the PTT. (The PF never went away but did get somewhat better. I also have Achilles Tendonitis that flares up and calms down off and on... )

Well, about a month ago, I had a near fall and reinjured the PTT. I had acute pain at the arch and up the inner ankle. I was put back in a brace.
I told him the last one was not that comfortable, and he found me something that was more agreeable for my body. (I've found that orthopedic doctors usually have several different ways to immobilize you. ) But I would never pick out something without his approval.

I find that the brace helps a great deal. When I don't wear it, I really feel the difference. Like you, I'm on 'house arrest' although not quite as extreme as yours. I have to tip my hat to you if you are able to stay off your feet that much. I don't have to wear it when I am off my feet. So, I am constantly relacing the thing, but it is worth it.

So, I am hoping that in a couple of months, I'll at least be back to my 'previous level of dysfunction.'

Best wishes. Keep us posted on your recovery.
Beverly

Re: Re:Rebecca

Laurie R on 12/30/01 at 11:23 (068132)

YES , YES , YES Rebecca always have hope , don't ever give up hope ... That is all we have sometimes.. Hope and dreams is something no one can take from us . I do feel for you having and being in so much pain . But it does sound like you have a very good plan . I wish you only the best ... I hope you continue to feel better... Laurie R