Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casting not working

Posted by Pam B on 12/29/01 at 11:48 (068073)

I posted a few weeks ago about having leg put in cast as a last resort and it has now been on almost a month with some relief but not pain free by far. Was back to the doc yesterday and he gave me another shot of cortisone (#4) only this time in the other foot. He said the xray taken weeks ago showed a huge spur on the left foot and because of the way I am hobbling around it has fired up again. The right foot is still in the cast and I go back on Thursday to the doc. He says I am also showing symptoms of tarsal tunnel syndrome in addition to the plantar fascia in my right foot. He stated that this is the most painful case he has seen in his seventeen years practicing and the most stubborn. He says that he is not optimistic that the pain is going stop and if it does he believes it will return quickly. We have now tried everything we can and this cast is a last resort. I have discussed my options with him regarding surgery and after reading many personal accounts on the web, I am opting for the open procedure as I told the doc I only want to do this one time and I dont want him to miss anything considering this TTS he is talking about. He says that the scope is a good way to go but that he also feels the success rate is higher with the open procedure. I know it will be longer healing but I dont want to do this twice because they missed something they did not see the first time from limited visability either. I will keep you posted as to where I go from here. I am so glad I found these boards, it is nice to know there are others out there that are hurting like I am. This sucks and I for one am ready to move on after trying all the conservative methods with no success and now an ailing left foot too. I know it is a risk,and I am a little scared, but I dont see any relief with all the other stuff and this has been going on now since June. I honestly just cant take this pain anymore so I am ready to try the surgery. Hope you all are having a great holiday season. Take care

Re: Casting not working RE Pam

Laurie R on 12/29/01 at 20:15 (068100)

Hi Pam , I remember your post a few weeks ago about the cast... I have had PF since June of 99, so I understand what you are going through . Also I had about 6 to 7 hard fiber glass casts with crutches and aobut 4 walking casts and one air cast ... Out of them all the hard cast would take the most pain away . But as soon as the cast's would come off the pain would come right back . I also have tenosynivitis in my tendons. That is why the casts worked so well , I was not using my tendons ..

I will be having surgery hopefully in Jan sometime . I also have a fibroma on my fascia wrapped around my tendon , very painful .. My Pod is also going to do a open procedure , I will be cut in two different places . One on the bottom of my foot where the fibroma is and the other across my inner ankle in the tarsel tunnel area ..

I like you can not take the pain anymore , it has been 2 and half years since this all started . I started with one thing which was PF and it has gone into 5 different things... I also have RSD in my foot . All these things are in my right foot. My left is now giving me some problems ..

Please keep us posted ..

My very best to you Pam ..Laurie R

Re: Casting not working RE Pam

Laurie R on 12/29/01 at 20:15 (068100)

Hi Pam , I remember your post a few weeks ago about the cast... I have had PF since June of 99, so I understand what you are going through . Also I had about 6 to 7 hard fiber glass casts with crutches and aobut 4 walking casts and one air cast ... Out of them all the hard cast would take the most pain away . But as soon as the cast's would come off the pain would come right back . I also have tenosynivitis in my tendons. That is why the casts worked so well , I was not using my tendons ..

I will be having surgery hopefully in Jan sometime . I also have a fibroma on my fascia wrapped around my tendon , very painful .. My Pod is also going to do a open procedure , I will be cut in two different places . One on the bottom of my foot where the fibroma is and the other across my inner ankle in the tarsel tunnel area ..

I like you can not take the pain anymore , it has been 2 and half years since this all started . I started with one thing which was PF and it has gone into 5 different things... I also have RSD in my foot . All these things are in my right foot. My left is now giving me some problems ..

Please keep us posted ..

My very best to you Pam ..Laurie R