Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

posterior tibial tendonitis shoes? sesamoiditis too...

Posted by rebecca h on 12/30/01 at 09:18 (068123)

Is there such a thing as a shoe out there that helps both these problems?
I have tried so many different shoes... including New Balance and Arizonas.

right now I'm totally off my feet to help them heal. But after that, is there any hope that I will ever find the right shoe?

Re: what exactly are your symptoms? (nm)

elliott on 12/31/01 at 22:34 (068290)

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 15:35 (068364)

inner forefoot pain, inner arch pain, pain in heel or just in inner front of heel. was diagnosed by first two docs with PF. Third doctor says Post Tibial Tendonitis and sesamoiditis as well. Got cortizone shot in worst forefoot. Got soft cast on worst foot. Icing 20 minutes every 2 hours.
By the way, welcome back

Re: a little more

elliott on 1/01/02 at 17:01 (068373)

When does it hurt? At rest? Before/during/after walking? Up/down phase of gait? Did you try orthotics? Are you very overweight? Etc. Thanks.

Re: and more

elliott on 1/01/02 at 17:56 (068379)

high or low arch? regular/wide/narrow forefoot/heel?

As if all this will get you the perfect shoe. :-) But it might just.

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 19:24 (068388)

When it hurts: When standing or walking. Also at night the pain in forefeet wakes me up with throbbing. (Icing gets me back to sleep) Forefeet hurt most on Up Phase of walking. Standing on tip toes is really painful. Doctor said my feet won't heal unless I stay off of them. So I'm doing the wheelchair 23 hours and 55 min per day. Birkenstocks helped the arch pain but seemed to make my forfeet worse. custom orthotics made heel pain decrease but increased inner ankle pain and didn't help forefeet. Oh, we're talking about different doctors, by the way. The first two diagnosed PF. The third, and best, diagnosed Posterior Tibial and Sesamoiditis, which makes more sense to me. The second doc was the one who got me the dissapointing custom orthotics. I believe I am in better hands now, with the new diagnosis. Also he is the firtst doctor to tell me I really need to get off my feet to heal, which makes all kinds of since to me. And he told me I should ice 20 minutes every 2 hours which I am doing. Sorry this got so long and meandering. : )

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 19:26 (068389)

average arch
average heel
wide forefoot
And about 25 pounds overweight (WOW you sure are nosy! Haha)

Re: OK, here's the shoe (drumroll, please)

elliott on 1/01/02 at 22:36 (068402)

The Brooks Addiction Walker. Trust me. If you do mail order and try them indoors first, all you're risking is the postage). To see them, go to

http://www.roadrunnersports.com

and at left, click on women's store, shoes, walking, Brooks. The code is BRK-109 for the white version, BRK-383 for the black, and you also can access these shoes by typing these codes directly in the search box at upper right. Click again on shoe for more info and sizes. Note: if you get them, follow the advice to size up 1/2 size over regular sizing.

I have some similarities to your case. MRI picked up posterior tibial problem in right foot (in addition to TTS); surgery gave me new problems. Similar pain locations as you; I probably have a bone problem to boot. Amazingly, exact same reaction to orthotics as you. I have a wider forefoot, and am a bit overweight now that I can't run. (I asked the weight since for a very heavy person, an even more massive and heavier shoe might be warranted).

Dr. Ed has repeatedly recommended these shoes. They are very supportive around the ankle, stable, and comfortable with solid cushioning, and prolonged wear seems to allow one to walk while healing. I've owned my Brooks shoes for quite a while, but couldn't wear them for a long time (a year or so) due to TTS irritation in my left foot, but this has now settled down somewhat. I was nearly crippled in that right foot, but just a month after wearing them, I see remarkable improvement. You may too, especially since your posterior tib thing--or whatever it is--probably isn't too far gone, since I think I recall you saying the MRI didn't pick up anything obvious. Not sure how it will work with the sesamoid thing; you might need a pad. Give em a try!

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 08:54 (068427)

That's not very overweight! I'll bet that's below the average amount of overweight in the US.

I hope to be in your shoes (no.. wait.. AGH! i like my own orthotics, thanks! let's say, in your POSITION) in a year or two. (grin)

I'm 94 pounds overweight as of today and thrilled to death that I've got less than 100 pounds to lose now. I've lost almost that much on WW during the past year and a half or so, slowly but surely.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 09:01 (068428)

Wow, I can't believe the first two doctors didn't tell you to get off your feet to heal!!! That could be pretty crucial for some of us. Maybe they felt like it would be impossible or nearly so for a mother of four. I would imagine it hasn't been easy for you to do it.

Can you tell yet if staying off your feet has helped you? It has been the biggest factor for me, along with my custom orthotics and stretching.

Carole C

Re: I have PTT/PF too... Have tried lots of shoes

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:17 (068459)

Rebecca,

I don't know what sesmatois is. That is a new one for me.

I have PF, PTT, and AT. I wore Birks for the first year. They helped the PF considerably, but did nothing for the PTT. And I still think the negative heel cup on the Birk contributed to my AT, but I may be dead wrong. There are plenty of people here who love Birks and do well with them.

The PTT is in a bad spell now, because I reinjured it after a near fall. But I had many months of it doing much, much better. I think what helped me was getting the right orthodics and the right shoes. It took both. It was frustrating and expensive. I tried several pairs of orthodics, all made by different people before finding a helpful one. I personally like the orthodics made by orthodists over pods, but I'm sure there are pods who make good orthodics. The guy who made my good set, makes all his in house. They don't go out to a lab. Nor does he have kids with pimples making them.
I like knowing that the person who cast me is the same person who directed their creation. He has also been very patient with adjustments, and initially spent about 2 hours with me, trying to understand my various foot/ankle maladies. He took time, listened, didn't hurry...

For me, I need a shoe with good arch support. I wear Aasics, but that is an individual thing. I also like Ambulators, Drew, and Dr. Zen.

I'm currently wearing an ankle brace. It is my second time with a brace. I think that helps too.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: What's PTT?

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 16:56 (068463)

Is PTT Posterior Tibial Tendonitis? I couldn't find it in the Heel Pain Book. I don't know where those tendons are, even if that is what it means. Thanks.

What are the symptoms of PTT? I am interested because it sounds like we have many similar problems (including PF, AT, and high arches) and your recommendation of Asics and various shoes. I am thinking I should check them out once I am more recovered because I hate the looks of my SAS shoes (even though they are good for my feet). But I don't know if I have PTT or not, so maybe your feet have other needs from mine.

I was diagnosed as having PF, heelspurs, and bursitis, and 'a whole lot more such as tendon inflammation' but at the time I didn't ask exactly what else.

I have self-diagnosed that I must at least have AT, because the slight heel lifts in my shoes and orthotics helped so much, and because I had pain and tightness and inflammation in all the tendons and muscles in the back and sides of my leg below the knee and my achilles tendon feels very tight even when I'm sitting. Most of the tendon pain and inflammation is just about all gone now and I attribute that to my orthotics as well as rest and stretching.

Carole C

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:03 (068467)

Carole-

PTT is posterior tibial tendonitis. The Posterior Tendon swings around the inside of the ankle down to the bottom of the foot. There are some good pictures at Foot.com.

Hope you keep improving!
rebecca

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:15 (068469)

Elliot-

Thanks for the info. The shoes look and sound good. I didn't see any indication of what widths they come in. I think I would need at least a D or even a EE.

I just tried some Easy Spirit Mesas (my husband picked them up for me since I'm under house arrest!) that sounded really good but even though they were WIDE, still felt like there was a hard lump on the outsides of my feet between the heel and the forefoot.

I used to love Reebok Princess and wore them for years even though the lather would always bulge and rip in the forefoot area. I've tried to find out if they come in EE but can't find the info on that. The last year or so I wore Nikes but now I'm wondering if they were bad for my feet or is it the aging process. (I'm 40)

Maybe the store that had the Easy Spirits will also have the Brooks Addiction and I can just exchange one for the other.

here's hopin'

rebecca

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:19 (068470)

oops, I meant leather.

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 21:22 (068482)

Thanks, Rebecca!

RACHAEL T. on 1/02/02 at 21:49 (068484)

Congratulations! You are to be commended! WOW! Way to go!

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 22:32 (068490)

Thanks... working on it! :)

Carole C

Re: be careful on fit

elliott on 1/02/02 at 23:26 (068499)

You said you have a medium heel and arch, but just a wide forefoot. If you go up to EE, you may find the fit loose at the heel/arch area, defeating the whole purpose. You need it tight and supportive there. A better try might be to keep it D but size up another 1/2 size.

Don't hesitate to do mail order if you can't find such shoes elsewhere. Your case sounds rather serious to dawdle around. The shoes may turn out to be so important, and all you risk is the postage if you need to return them.

Easy Spirits and the like aren't in the same league as the Brooks. They're comfortable but not doing what you need. Shoes such as the Brooks have denser medial midsoles, stiff heel counters, etc. If the Brooks aren't for you, there are others. You can consider motion control running shoes from the various running shoe companies. Saucony in particular is known for wider toeboxes, but there are others, and it varies from shoe to shoe. If you can, go to a professional running shoe store (not the Athlete Foot type stores in the malls) and try on the shoes in the motion control category. (There's a Brooks Addiction running shoe too.) Many come in a lot of widths. There's always mail order too. I can offer you more possibilities on this if you need them. Good luck.

pam s on 1/03/02 at 20:55 (068597)

Where is the guy who made your orthodics? Is he in NJ? If so, please share the name and phone number.
Pam

Re: Asics MC PLUS wide in toe box...

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 18:06 (068744)

I like Asics MC Plus because I have a wide toe spread but my heel is fairly narrow. Of all the running shoes I've tried, the MC Plus has the widest toe box and yet the heel at least on me is fairly snug and it has more arch support than other running shoes I've tried. I wear the men's version.

My orthodist lined my Ambulator sandals with a cushiony material
at the inside of the heel where it was too loose. (I had tried store bought kind of heel snugger and hadn't been satisfied.)

Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: Re:Asics MC PLUS wide in toe box

pam s on 1/06/02 at 10:12 (068933)

Did your orthodist recommend these or leave it up to you to figure this out?
Pam

Beverly on 1/07/02 at 14:24 (069081)

I had to find this particular shoe style myself. My orthodist gave me a list of brands that he considered well made shoes for foot problems. Asics was one of them. I think that is about all the orthodist can usually do. They can tell us which brands are good and even steer us towards particular styles within a brand and away from particular styles within a brand. But at the end of the day, no one know what feels good on my feet but me. I still like to get his seal of approval when I find a new pair of shoes... let him see how I walk in them, ect...
Beverly

pam s on 1/07/02 at 20:26 (069123)

maybe I missed this part of the discussion, but did you get orthodics and did they help?
Pam S.

rebecca h on 1/07/02 at 21:44 (069137)

Yes. They helped the heel pain but the forefoot pain got worse.

elliott on 12/31/01 at 22:34 (068290)

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 15:35 (068364)

inner forefoot pain, inner arch pain, pain in heel or just in inner front of heel. was diagnosed by first two docs with PF. Third doctor says Post Tibial Tendonitis and sesamoiditis as well. Got cortizone shot in worst forefoot. Got soft cast on worst foot. Icing 20 minutes every 2 hours.
By the way, welcome back

elliott on 1/01/02 at 17:01 (068373)

When does it hurt? At rest? Before/during/after walking? Up/down phase of gait? Did you try orthotics? Are you very overweight? Etc. Thanks.

elliott on 1/01/02 at 17:56 (068379)

high or low arch? regular/wide/narrow forefoot/heel?

As if all this will get you the perfect shoe. :-) But it might just.

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 19:24 (068388)

When it hurts: When standing or walking. Also at night the pain in forefeet wakes me up with throbbing. (Icing gets me back to sleep) Forefeet hurt most on Up Phase of walking. Standing on tip toes is really painful. Doctor said my feet won't heal unless I stay off of them. So I'm doing the wheelchair 23 hours and 55 min per day. Birkenstocks helped the arch pain but seemed to make my forfeet worse. custom orthotics made heel pain decrease but increased inner ankle pain and didn't help forefeet. Oh, we're talking about different doctors, by the way. The first two diagnosed PF. The third, and best, diagnosed Posterior Tibial and Sesamoiditis, which makes more sense to me. The second doc was the one who got me the dissapointing custom orthotics. I believe I am in better hands now, with the new diagnosis. Also he is the firtst doctor to tell me I really need to get off my feet to heal, which makes all kinds of since to me. And he told me I should ice 20 minutes every 2 hours which I am doing. Sorry this got so long and meandering. : )

rebecca h on 1/01/02 at 19:26 (068389)

average arch
average heel
wide forefoot
And about 25 pounds overweight (WOW you sure are nosy! Haha)

elliott on 1/01/02 at 22:36 (068402)

The Brooks Addiction Walker. Trust me. If you do mail order and try them indoors first, all you're risking is the postage). To see them, go to

http://www.roadrunnersports.com

and at left, click on women's store, shoes, walking, Brooks. The code is BRK-109 for the white version, BRK-383 for the black, and you also can access these shoes by typing these codes directly in the search box at upper right. Click again on shoe for more info and sizes. Note: if you get them, follow the advice to size up 1/2 size over regular sizing.

I have some similarities to your case. MRI picked up posterior tibial problem in right foot (in addition to TTS); surgery gave me new problems. Similar pain locations as you; I probably have a bone problem to boot. Amazingly, exact same reaction to orthotics as you. I have a wider forefoot, and am a bit overweight now that I can't run. (I asked the weight since for a very heavy person, an even more massive and heavier shoe might be warranted).

Dr. Ed has repeatedly recommended these shoes. They are very supportive around the ankle, stable, and comfortable with solid cushioning, and prolonged wear seems to allow one to walk while healing. I've owned my Brooks shoes for quite a while, but couldn't wear them for a long time (a year or so) due to TTS irritation in my left foot, but this has now settled down somewhat. I was nearly crippled in that right foot, but just a month after wearing them, I see remarkable improvement. You may too, especially since your posterior tib thing--or whatever it is--probably isn't too far gone, since I think I recall you saying the MRI didn't pick up anything obvious. Not sure how it will work with the sesamoid thing; you might need a pad. Give em a try!

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 08:54 (068427)

That's not very overweight! I'll bet that's below the average amount of overweight in the US.

I hope to be in your shoes (no.. wait.. AGH! i like my own orthotics, thanks! let's say, in your POSITION) in a year or two. (grin)

I'm 94 pounds overweight as of today and thrilled to death that I've got less than 100 pounds to lose now. I've lost almost that much on WW during the past year and a half or so, slowly but surely.

Carole C

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 09:01 (068428)

Wow, I can't believe the first two doctors didn't tell you to get off your feet to heal!!! That could be pretty crucial for some of us. Maybe they felt like it would be impossible or nearly so for a mother of four. I would imagine it hasn't been easy for you to do it.

Can you tell yet if staying off your feet has helped you? It has been the biggest factor for me, along with my custom orthotics and stretching.

Carole C

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:17 (068459)

Rebecca,

I don't know what sesmatois is. That is a new one for me.

I have PF, PTT, and AT. I wore Birks for the first year. They helped the PF considerably, but did nothing for the PTT. And I still think the negative heel cup on the Birk contributed to my AT, but I may be dead wrong. There are plenty of people here who love Birks and do well with them.

The PTT is in a bad spell now, because I reinjured it after a near fall. But I had many months of it doing much, much better. I think what helped me was getting the right orthodics and the right shoes. It took both. It was frustrating and expensive. I tried several pairs of orthodics, all made by different people before finding a helpful one. I personally like the orthodics made by orthodists over pods, but I'm sure there are pods who make good orthodics. The guy who made my good set, makes all his in house. They don't go out to a lab. Nor does he have kids with pimples making them.
I like knowing that the person who cast me is the same person who directed their creation. He has also been very patient with adjustments, and initially spent about 2 hours with me, trying to understand my various foot/ankle maladies. He took time, listened, didn't hurry...

For me, I need a shoe with good arch support. I wear Aasics, but that is an individual thing. I also like Ambulators, Drew, and Dr. Zen.

I'm currently wearing an ankle brace. It is my second time with a brace. I think that helps too.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 16:56 (068463)

Is PTT Posterior Tibial Tendonitis? I couldn't find it in the Heel Pain Book. I don't know where those tendons are, even if that is what it means. Thanks.

What are the symptoms of PTT? I am interested because it sounds like we have many similar problems (including PF, AT, and high arches) and your recommendation of Asics and various shoes. I am thinking I should check them out once I am more recovered because I hate the looks of my SAS shoes (even though they are good for my feet). But I don't know if I have PTT or not, so maybe your feet have other needs from mine.

I was diagnosed as having PF, heelspurs, and bursitis, and 'a whole lot more such as tendon inflammation' but at the time I didn't ask exactly what else.

I have self-diagnosed that I must at least have AT, because the slight heel lifts in my shoes and orthotics helped so much, and because I had pain and tightness and inflammation in all the tendons and muscles in the back and sides of my leg below the knee and my achilles tendon feels very tight even when I'm sitting. Most of the tendon pain and inflammation is just about all gone now and I attribute that to my orthotics as well as rest and stretching.

Carole C

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:03 (068467)

Carole-

PTT is posterior tibial tendonitis. The Posterior Tendon swings around the inside of the ankle down to the bottom of the foot. There are some good pictures at Foot.com.

Hope you keep improving!
rebecca

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:15 (068469)

Elliot-

Thanks for the info. The shoes look and sound good. I didn't see any indication of what widths they come in. I think I would need at least a D or even a EE.

I just tried some Easy Spirit Mesas (my husband picked them up for me since I'm under house arrest!) that sounded really good but even though they were WIDE, still felt like there was a hard lump on the outsides of my feet between the heel and the forefoot.

I used to love Reebok Princess and wore them for years even though the lather would always bulge and rip in the forefoot area. I've tried to find out if they come in EE but can't find the info on that. The last year or so I wore Nikes but now I'm wondering if they were bad for my feet or is it the aging process. (I'm 40)

Maybe the store that had the Easy Spirits will also have the Brooks Addiction and I can just exchange one for the other.

here's hopin'

rebecca

rebecca on 1/02/02 at 18:19 (068470)

oops, I meant leather.

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 21:22 (068482)

Thanks, Rebecca!

RACHAEL T. on 1/02/02 at 21:49 (068484)

Congratulations! You are to be commended! WOW! Way to go!

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 22:32 (068490)

Thanks... working on it! :)

Carole C

Re: be careful on fit

elliott on 1/02/02 at 23:26 (068499)

You said you have a medium heel and arch, but just a wide forefoot. If you go up to EE, you may find the fit loose at the heel/arch area, defeating the whole purpose. You need it tight and supportive there. A better try might be to keep it D but size up another 1/2 size.

Don't hesitate to do mail order if you can't find such shoes elsewhere. Your case sounds rather serious to dawdle around. The shoes may turn out to be so important, and all you risk is the postage if you need to return them.

Easy Spirits and the like aren't in the same league as the Brooks. They're comfortable but not doing what you need. Shoes such as the Brooks have denser medial midsoles, stiff heel counters, etc. If the Brooks aren't for you, there are others. You can consider motion control running shoes from the various running shoe companies. Saucony in particular is known for wider toeboxes, but there are others, and it varies from shoe to shoe. If you can, go to a professional running shoe store (not the Athlete Foot type stores in the malls) and try on the shoes in the motion control category. (There's a Brooks Addiction running shoe too.) Many come in a lot of widths. There's always mail order too. I can offer you more possibilities on this if you need them. Good luck.

pam s on 1/03/02 at 20:55 (068597)

Where is the guy who made your orthodics? Is he in NJ? If so, please share the name and phone number.
Pam

Beverly on 1/04/02 at 18:06 (068744)

I like Asics MC Plus because I have a wide toe spread but my heel is fairly narrow. Of all the running shoes I've tried, the MC Plus has the widest toe box and yet the heel at least on me is fairly snug and it has more arch support than other running shoes I've tried. I wear the men's version.

My orthodist lined my Ambulator sandals with a cushiony material
at the inside of the heel where it was too loose. (I had tried store bought kind of heel snugger and hadn't been satisfied.)

Best wishes,
Beverly

Re: Re:Asics MC PLUS wide in toe box

pam s on 1/06/02 at 10:12 (068933)

Did your orthodist recommend these or leave it up to you to figure this out?
Pam

Beverly on 1/07/02 at 14:24 (069081)

I had to find this particular shoe style myself. My orthodist gave me a list of brands that he considered well made shoes for foot problems. Asics was one of them. I think that is about all the orthodist can usually do. They can tell us which brands are good and even steer us towards particular styles within a brand and away from particular styles within a brand. But at the end of the day, no one know what feels good on my feet but me. I still like to get his seal of approval when I find a new pair of shoes... let him see how I walk in them, ect...
Beverly

pam s on 1/07/02 at 20:26 (069123)

maybe I missed this part of the discussion, but did you get orthodics and did they help?
Pam S.

rebecca h on 1/07/02 at 21:44 (069137)

Yes. They helped the heel pain but the forefoot pain got worse.