Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

houston, we may have breakthru

Posted by michael b on 12/31/01 at 10:56 (068211)

merry christmas and happy new year!! checking in to report some progress. being one of the more athletic posters on this site, i had outlined a fitness program that i thought might help the pf and keep me active. a part of that routine was to swim for my cardiovascular training. let me tell you, my feet have made SIGNIFICANT STRIDES in the last 1 1/2 weeks. what i do is swim 500 yds in a lap pool, then go soak in a whirlpool for about 7- 10 minutes. i also have knocked off cycling, and weight lifting w/ my legs as well, but i'm of the opinion that there is something therapeutic about exercising in that pool. there is NO PAIN whatsoever when you're in there, and no pain in the whirlpool either. i feel strongly that the removal of the cycling and weights is significant, but i know that many on this site knocked those off a long time ago ---- i just hadn't read much about anybody else getting in a swimming pool to try and get some positive activity. if anybody has comments or questions, i'm happy to respond. michael b

Re: houston, we may have breakthru

Carmen H on 12/31/01 at 12:23 (068224)

AWESOME to hear!!! Good for you Michael! Keep me posted... those girls of yours are beautiful!!!
Thanks for the card....very very nice!

Carole C on 12/31/01 at 13:14 (068233)

Michael, that is wonderful!!!!!

Do you have any special tips for us about getting to the pool, and getting out of the pool in ways that are best for your feet?

I'm so glad to hear of your rapid improvement. :)

Carole C

Necee on 12/31/01 at 13:42 (068237)

Congratulations Michael!!
We always enjoy hearing of breakthroughs from foot pain.
Keep us in your thoughts as you continue to improve and let us know how your doing.
Happy Trails...
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 00:30 (068305)

I'm glad to hear of your progress, Michael! That is wonderful. My daughter had foot surgery 13 months ago (broken bone at the base of her big toe which had healed itself and was jagged, pressing on a nerve which was greatly inflamed). Anyway, her dr. advised her to 'run' through the swimming pool for exercise last summer. Luckily she had a job at a camp, and when she had a break, she could use the pool. It really did seem to help her heal and have much less pain!

michael b on 1/03/02 at 08:58 (068523)

i definately think there is something therapeutic about doing stuff in the pool . . . . for more on what exactly i'm doing, see my response to carole c ----- happy new year, it's 1/3 -- my first day back at work (but candidly, i'm not mentally or emotionally here yet --- i'll tell you that, not my clients)

michael b on 1/03/02 at 17:17 (068573)

i don't think there's anything magical about getting in the pool. . . i use the steps and ease in --- the key is that when you swim it's weightless, and i think the water massages your feet somewhat when you're in there. if you're not a good swimmer, it's easy to get one of those kickboards and you can kick for a few laps as you lay on the board -- either flutter kick or a frog kick gets it done. after the swim i then go to the whirlpool (which is hot) and soak for 5 -10 minutes. that water swirls around too, so there may be some therapeutic value in that as well. the bottom line is, i don't think there is any harm done to the feet by swimming, and it may even be beneficial and productive. you don't have to be athletic to do this, just be willing to get in and give it a try

Carmen H on 12/31/01 at 12:23 (068224)

AWESOME to hear!!! Good for you Michael! Keep me posted... those girls of yours are beautiful!!!
Thanks for the card....very very nice!

Carole C on 12/31/01 at 13:14 (068233)

Michael, that is wonderful!!!!!

Do you have any special tips for us about getting to the pool, and getting out of the pool in ways that are best for your feet?

I'm so glad to hear of your rapid improvement. :)

Carole C

Necee on 12/31/01 at 13:42 (068237)

Congratulations Michael!!
We always enjoy hearing of breakthroughs from foot pain.
Keep us in your thoughts as you continue to improve and let us know how your doing.
Happy Trails...
Necee

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 00:30 (068305)

I'm glad to hear of your progress, Michael! That is wonderful. My daughter had foot surgery 13 months ago (broken bone at the base of her big toe which had healed itself and was jagged, pressing on a nerve which was greatly inflamed). Anyway, her dr. advised her to 'run' through the swimming pool for exercise last summer. Luckily she had a job at a camp, and when she had a break, she could use the pool. It really did seem to help her heal and have much less pain!

michael b on 1/03/02 at 08:58 (068523)

i definately think there is something therapeutic about doing stuff in the pool . . . . for more on what exactly i'm doing, see my response to carole c ----- happy new year, it's 1/3 -- my first day back at work (but candidly, i'm not mentally or emotionally here yet --- i'll tell you that, not my clients)

michael b on 1/03/02 at 17:17 (068573)

i don't think there's anything magical about getting in the pool. . . i use the steps and ease in --- the key is that when you swim it's weightless, and i think the water massages your feet somewhat when you're in there. if you're not a good swimmer, it's easy to get one of those kickboards and you can kick for a few laps as you lay on the board -- either flutter kick or a frog kick gets it done. after the swim i then go to the whirlpool (which is hot) and soak for 5 -10 minutes. that water swirls around too, so there may be some therapeutic value in that as well. the bottom line is, i don't think there is any harm done to the feet by swimming, and it may even be beneficial and productive. you don't have to be athletic to do this, just be willing to get in and give it a try