Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Clicking tendons?

Posted by Brenda G. on 1/01/02 at 07:44 (068313)

Hi, I was wondering anyone else has had this problem or heard of it? When I developed PF in fall of 2000, I noticed that the tendon in my right ankle clicked loudly when I flexed my foot from right to left. I showed it to the first orthopedic I saw and he said the tendon had migrated? over the ankle bone and was snapping over it. He didn't mention it was related to the PF. Now, I'm having a similiar problem in my hip on that side. When I first get up in the morning, my hip clicks, in different places, sometimes on the side, sometimes behind and sometimes lower, closer to the knee. There is no pain involved in any of this clicking. I do not believe it is 'crepitus', bone hitting bone as in arthritis. I may add that a couple of years prior to PF, I would snap my ileotibial band (I hope that is the correct spelling) on occasion when I walked, I USED to walk 5-6 miles on my off days. My family doctor said this was what was happening, the pain was excrutiating when it happened. Does anyone have any ideas on all of this? I feel like maybe all the tendons or ligaments are shortening in my body, is it due to the PF or the cause? Thanks for any info. I greatly respect and appreciate all posts on this board. Thanks for being here! Brenda G. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Re: Clicking tendons?

Carmen H on 1/02/02 at 07:07 (068419)

Hi Brenda~

First I might ask if you have had any tests done? I am not sure about ligaments shortening...certainly don't think it could be due to PF....but don't take my word as I don't know your history.
My hips click and so do my ankles....a LOT but I have never worried about it and it has never caused problems.
Have you seen any other docs for this?

Brenda G on 1/03/02 at 22:59 (068630)

Hi, Carmen. Thanks for answering. I haven't had an MRI, just regular x-ray on the PF. I also have not experienced any discomfort due to this clicking, I was just wondering if it at all was related. I think back about the changes I was seeing in my feet and legs the year previous to developing PF, for example, I had tremendous cramps in my calves a few months before the PF, now I wonder if I had started stretching then perhaps all this destruction could have been avoided. So I was just wondering if others had a similiar thing. Thanks again. Brenda

Re: tendons and ligaments feeling shorter, and PF

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:53 (068661)

Brenda, you said 'I feel like maybe all the tendons or ligaments are shortening in my body, is it due to the PF or the cause?'

Strangely, I have felt the same way, that they are shortening and becoming less elastic. I had attributed to my age (53) and impending hormonal changes possibly. But, I have found that as my PF improves, this feeling of tightness has also improved in other areas of my body, somewhat. I have no explanation and do not know if the tightness is the cause or effect of PF, or neither, but I am happy that this is happening.

As far as clicking goes, I have always had lots of clicking joints, particularly my ankles but also my knees, hips, etc, ever since I was a little girl. I have never been able to sneak up on anybody! But it hasn't caused me any problems that I know of. So maybe that is a different kind of clicking.

Carole C

Carmen H on 1/04/02 at 14:11 (068697)

You can definitely develop cramps from mucles tightening from not being stretched and used. this can cause your PF toget worse for sure. I have had that exact experience......also been told by a few of my many doctors that my theory is correct about all of that.
So it makes sense to feel the 'tightness' but the clicking...I don't know.

Carmen H on 1/02/02 at 07:07 (068419)

Hi Brenda~

First I might ask if you have had any tests done? I am not sure about ligaments shortening...certainly don't think it could be due to PF....but don't take my word as I don't know your history.
My hips click and so do my ankles....a LOT but I have never worried about it and it has never caused problems.
Have you seen any other docs for this?

Brenda G on 1/03/02 at 22:59 (068630)

Hi, Carmen. Thanks for answering. I haven't had an MRI, just regular x-ray on the PF. I also have not experienced any discomfort due to this clicking, I was just wondering if it at all was related. I think back about the changes I was seeing in my feet and legs the year previous to developing PF, for example, I had tremendous cramps in my calves a few months before the PF, now I wonder if I had started stretching then perhaps all this destruction could have been avoided. So I was just wondering if others had a similiar thing. Thanks again. Brenda

Re: tendons and ligaments feeling shorter, and PF

Carole C on 1/04/02 at 08:53 (068661)

Brenda, you said 'I feel like maybe all the tendons or ligaments are shortening in my body, is it due to the PF or the cause?'

Strangely, I have felt the same way, that they are shortening and becoming less elastic. I had attributed to my age (53) and impending hormonal changes possibly. But, I have found that as my PF improves, this feeling of tightness has also improved in other areas of my body, somewhat. I have no explanation and do not know if the tightness is the cause or effect of PF, or neither, but I am happy that this is happening.

As far as clicking goes, I have always had lots of clicking joints, particularly my ankles but also my knees, hips, etc, ever since I was a little girl. I have never been able to sneak up on anybody! But it hasn't caused me any problems that I know of. So maybe that is a different kind of clicking.

Carole C

Carmen H on 1/04/02 at 14:11 (068697)

You can definitely develop cramps from mucles tightening from not being stretched and used. this can cause your PF toget worse for sure. I have had that exact experience......also been told by a few of my many doctors that my theory is correct about all of that.
So it makes sense to feel the 'tightness' but the clicking...I don't know.