Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Killer Migraine sends me to ER.

Posted by Beverly on 1/01/02 at 09:01 (068315)

Yesterday, I discovered that there are things more frightening than foot or ankle pain.

I woke up with a killer headache. I'm used to headaches, but this one was a doosey. I sat up in bed and saw spots... lots of spots... could hardly see for all the spots... then waves of nausea with the spots and headache... and dripping sweat from my forehead all the way down to my chest... all happening at the same time. I couldn't think straight. I went into the kitchen to get water, and somehow I ended up sitting on the floor. I'm not sure if I sat on the floor and blacked out for a moment. But I couldn't remember how I ended up on the floor. Thank God, I didn't hurt my feet or ankles in the process. I think I crumpled down like a wet dish rag.

Needless to say, this scared me to death. When it had passed enough to get to the phone, I called 911 for an ambulence to ER. (This was a first for me.) I didn't think I should drive there. And I had no idea what was happening, because I've had very few migraines and nothing that dramatic.

The ambulence came but couldn't find my apartment. Good thing I wasn't dying, because I had to walk out on the porch and wave them down. (The buildings are all marked by the way.)

The ambulence driver did an EKG and put in an IV.

At the hospital, they ran bloodwork, and did a CT... both normal. My EKG was a little off, but nothing alarming. (I have a benign arthymia I've had for years, and as scarey as this was, I'm not surprised it was a little off.)

With me protesting that I didn't want to be so goofy because of my ankle, I was given Phengren into my IV line. No wonder people get infections in hospitals. The tech actually bit the plastic seal off with her teeth. I tried to stop her, but I wasn't in any shape to put up much of a fight, and she said the plastic seal/cap didn't come in contact with the needle.

The ER doctor concluded that I had a migraine and sent me home with meds for it. I have not filled it since it's a holiday today, and yesterday I was way too out of it.

The whole thing scared the poo out of me. But even totally knocked out, I knew to protect my feet and ankles, and took a wheelchair to the bathroom with a nurse helping me sit on the toilet. And I kept my shoes on for the entire ordeal.

I feel better today.
Beverly

Re: Oh my gosh!

Carmen H on 1/01/02 at 09:26 (068318)

Beverly! What a scary thing to go through! I am sorry for your experiece. That is terrible. I am glad you are better today....wow. i bet that DID scare the POO out of you!!
I will be thinking of you today....try to relax and take time off from anything.

Re: Killer Migraine sends me to ER.

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 09:32 (068323)

Dear Beverly,
I am so sorry about your migraine! I have frequent migraines and can truly sympathize with you! However, it sounds as if you had one worse than any I have experienced. With my worst ones, I do see spots and get sick at my stomach.
What medicine did the dr. describe? I take Midrin (has a much longer scientific name) as soon as I feel the headache begin - two pills at the onset, then 1 an hour later, another an hour later if needed. Although it doesn't say so on the bottle, I have found that I need to eat a bite of something with the medicine or it gives me heartburn.
I DO hope that you don't continue having the headaches, but if you do, make sure you take the medicine. If it does not work, let your dr. know and have him prescribe something else. When you have one, you just have to have something to 'knock it'!
I'm glad you didn't hurt your feet or ankles in the process!

Best wishes!
Suzanne

Laurie R on 1/01/02 at 10:59 (068334)

Dear Beverly , When I got up this am ans saw your post , my heart went right out to you .. How terrible you had to go through this on top of all your foot pain .. You did the right thing about calling 911. Thank goodness you did and went to the hospital ... I hope today is better for you and your head feels better... My very best to you .... Laurie R

Valerie S on 1/01/02 at 11:29 (068339)

Beverly,

I'm sorry you had to go through that... Thank God you had the coherency to call the ambulance (and to take care of your feet through all that ... amazing how that's all second nature now, huh?)

My husband gets terrible migraines like yours sometimes, and I can really feel for you.. He actually has an injection that he stabs into his chest and then he has to stay in a dark room for a whole day; sometimes vomitting and diarrhea. Thank God again that this doesn't happen to him more than a couple times a year where they get that bad.

I hope you never have to go through that again, and that your medication helps. Make sure you go and get it filled as soon as you can. If you know any of your neighbors, maybe you can clue them in about this. They may be able to help you in case of an emergency...

I hope the new year brings you peace and wellness, that this was a once in a lifetime experience for you. You have helped me so much with your encouragement and advice... you deserve only the best. Hey! maybe we could send over one of those really buff guys to fluff your pillows and massage your feet with scented oils while you relax on a bed of rose petals...

Your friend, Val.

Tammie on 1/01/02 at 13:56 (068351)

I am really sorry for you that must have been extreamly scary! I do hope that all is well and that you feel better soon. ER can be very frightening not to mention the ambulance. I do hope that someone could be there with you! Have a Happy New Year

Beverly on 1/01/02 at 14:21 (068356)

Thanks for all the kind words. My head feels fine today. The ER doctor gave me Fioricet and Rompazone. Since all the drugstores are closed today, I have yet to try them, but I'll have them around if I get another migraine. I certainly hope not!

The whole time it was happening, I was as concerned for my feet and ankles as I was for my head. I had the presence of mind to put my braces on before I left in the ambulence. And I'm glad I took a change of clothes. I was in my nightgown when the ambulence came. It would have been very embarrassing, not to mention cold to go home in a taxi in a night gown!

My Dad lives out in the country and I didn't want to worry him. My brother is not helpful in emergences, and the handful of friends I've kept up with since I've been on house arrest, I figured they were getting ready for New Year's Eve parties. My apartment was only a $5.00 taxi ride away. So, that's how I got home. I called Dad after I got home and knew I was ok.

I do truely feel for anyone who suffers from migraines. I'm glad I don't get them often. I think this was my 3rd or 4th in my life and none of the others compared to this one.

Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 1/01/02 at 14:24 (068358)

Beverly - sorry about your awful experience!

I had a migraine like that a few years ago, but it wasn't accompanied with a lot of pain. More the spots. It was really frightening because it was like there were big holes in my vision. Thankfully, it went a away, and so did the migraines. I now get about one every few years (mine seem to be hormone related and since I stopped the Pill I don't get them).

Is there anything that triggered yours?

linda A on 1/01/02 at 16:11 (068366)

hello beverly ! i truly feel for you and anyone else who has been thru this . the last time i experience this was in oct of this year . i was in the mental hosp for my bi-polar disease . the hosp personnel did not know what i was experiencing , so i went several days being treated w/ extra strength tylenol . all i knew my eyes could not take any light and i hated sound , the spots and being sick to my stomach did not come until the third day . finally the doctor told me i was having a migraine and order midrin . i was saved w/ that drug and being in a dark room . it was the fact of having no caffeine in my system that caused the migraine . you see in a mental hospital they take that priviledge away from you . i don't drink coffee , but i do drink a hot cup of tea and diet big red . i had migraines before , but they were so much different than this one . you see i have a big problem w/ lights . i wear a tinted shade of lens on my glasses . working in the surgery dept causes a big problem for me ,especially if i happen to come in contact w/ the big spotlights . immediately after the case i ask for the lights to be shutoff , so i can to do my work . anyway beverly it is good thing you went to the e.r because there are several diseases related to headache : brain tumors, cerebrospinal fluid in the brain , low blood sugar , nerve pain , pressure on carotid artery , and stroke , this is just to name a few of them . i looked at my diet tring to eliminate some of the tyramines foods( chocolate,aged cheese,soy sauce,yogurt,etc) , nitrites ( bologna , pepperoni, bacon, corned beef , etc ) , monosodium glutamate ( chinese foods , soups , dry roasted nuts , diet foods etc. ). i hope this helps you . your friend linda a ( lou., KY )

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 16:30 (068369)

Dear Linda,

I'm sorry to hear that you, too, have migraines. I totally understand what you are saying about how LIGHTS affect you! I couldn't tell you how many meetings I have attended where there are flourescent lights, and I end up with a migraine. Once I got one from sitting too near a Christmas tree with the running lights! Also, I cannot use an overhead projector at school because I can't stand to be right there over the light.

I'm glad Midrin helps you, too. And, yes, caffeine helps me when I am beginning to get a headache. I will try to go get a soft drink or eat a little piece of chocolate at the time if I can. I know that might not be nutritional, but at the time, getting rid of the PAIN is uppermost(especially when I have a roomful of little children needing me)!

I hope it is a LONG time before you have another migraine, Linda!

:-) Suzanne

Necee on 1/01/02 at 17:33 (068376)

Beverly,
My goodness! What an ordeal, I'm glad that your tests revealed nothing abnormal and that you are home and feeling much better.
I know ER's are a very uncomfortable place to be. I spent 9 hrs there back in Oct myself.
I do hope that you didn't have to go through that ordeal alone. Thank goodness my husband was with me, and also my dear cousin (we are more like sisters) came when she heard I was there.
Take care Beverly and I hope your New Year is filled with peace.
Happy Trails....
Necee

JudyS on 1/02/02 at 14:00 (068447)

Beverly - what an ordeal for you! How are you today? Do you have any idea what brought the migraine on? I've not had one, but a couple of friends of mine have and they literally can't move with them. Hope you're able to relax today.

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:01 (068456)

Thanks for asking, Judy. I feel better. Still a bit of a headache, but nothing like before. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with my internist. There are so many headache meds out there, I want to take something that is right for my system. Plus, I'd like to have my doctor follow up on this anyway.

I'm not sure what provoked it. Two possibilities. I'm going through stress with Dad as he puts together papers for if he becomes incapactitated... not left on life support, ect. He's 79, and it is smart to be thinking about these things. Talking about a parent's potential last wishes... funeral plans, is stressful anyway you look at it. He's teaching me where he keeps all his personal records, ect. My family tends to live to 100 and loose the mind way before the body.

The only other thought I had was that I bought an electric blanket last week. The day before the migraine, I woke up in the middle of the night too hot and with a headache. But the morning of the migraine I woke up with my electric blanket turned down on low. So, it may have nothing to do with it.

I'm very prone to allergy headaches. I've always reacted to bad smells, mold, and bright light has always bothered me.

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 16:16 (068458)

Beverly, I'm sorry to hear that your Dad thinks it's time to do this, but you are right, it's probably about time. My Mom filled out a 'Living Will' (one of those papers for if she gets incapacitated, to not remain on life support forever) the week before Christmas. She is 92 and was in the hospital then and her doctor had her do it. It made me feel so sad. She is out of the hospital now but I probably have the same feelings as you at least a little bit.

I know nothing about migraines but do you think that the electric blanket has something in it that you are reacting to? It probably feels great in this weather. I had a friend in college with migraines that would knock him to the floor like that, so I know it's possible for migraines to be that bad. I'm glad you are seeing your internest! He will be able to answer your questions, and a suggestion would be that you might want to make a list of them to take with you.

Glad you are feeling better!

Carole C

Carol C on 1/05/02 at 14:52 (068830)

Beverly...a few things to consider. I have had headaches for a number of years----I did not realize they were migraines, but considered them to be
more of a troublesome, dull, achey headache that I got several days a week with an increase in pain usually the week before my period each month.
I mentioned this to my GYN Doctor and he helped somewhat...there is a
Birth Control pill called MIRCETTE that is used to help with Hormone related headaches. He put me on those and it did seem to help.
Also, when I saw a Neurologist for evaluation for Tarsal Tunnel syndrome,
in his general neurological evlauation, he ask me about headaches and when
I told him about these headaches, he said that they are migraines.
He said that a headache does not always have to be the severe
and debilitating type to be classified as migraine and to justify treatment
as such. The neurologist started me on a preventive medication called
TOPAMAX for the headaches. I take the medication twice a day and have been most pleased with the results. I have gone from headaches averaging
four days a week to maybe four headaches in the past SIX MONTHS.
If you continue to have problems---you may want to ask your doctor about
TOPAMAX as an option. The medication is expensive....over $250.00 for a
single months dosages---but my insurance covers it and all I have to pay
is my $20 co-pay. The reduction in headaches has been well worth it to me
to take the medicine on a daily basis.
Best wishes to you.

Carmen H on 1/01/02 at 09:26 (068318)

Beverly! What a scary thing to go through! I am sorry for your experiece. That is terrible. I am glad you are better today....wow. i bet that DID scare the POO out of you!!
I will be thinking of you today....try to relax and take time off from anything.

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 09:32 (068323)

Dear Beverly,
I am so sorry about your migraine! I have frequent migraines and can truly sympathize with you! However, it sounds as if you had one worse than any I have experienced. With my worst ones, I do see spots and get sick at my stomach.
What medicine did the dr. describe? I take Midrin (has a much longer scientific name) as soon as I feel the headache begin - two pills at the onset, then 1 an hour later, another an hour later if needed. Although it doesn't say so on the bottle, I have found that I need to eat a bite of something with the medicine or it gives me heartburn.
I DO hope that you don't continue having the headaches, but if you do, make sure you take the medicine. If it does not work, let your dr. know and have him prescribe something else. When you have one, you just have to have something to 'knock it'!
I'm glad you didn't hurt your feet or ankles in the process!

Best wishes!
Suzanne

Laurie R on 1/01/02 at 10:59 (068334)

Dear Beverly , When I got up this am ans saw your post , my heart went right out to you .. How terrible you had to go through this on top of all your foot pain .. You did the right thing about calling 911. Thank goodness you did and went to the hospital ... I hope today is better for you and your head feels better... My very best to you .... Laurie R

Valerie S on 1/01/02 at 11:29 (068339)

Beverly,

I'm sorry you had to go through that... Thank God you had the coherency to call the ambulance (and to take care of your feet through all that ... amazing how that's all second nature now, huh?)

My husband gets terrible migraines like yours sometimes, and I can really feel for you.. He actually has an injection that he stabs into his chest and then he has to stay in a dark room for a whole day; sometimes vomitting and diarrhea. Thank God again that this doesn't happen to him more than a couple times a year where they get that bad.

I hope you never have to go through that again, and that your medication helps. Make sure you go and get it filled as soon as you can. If you know any of your neighbors, maybe you can clue them in about this. They may be able to help you in case of an emergency...

I hope the new year brings you peace and wellness, that this was a once in a lifetime experience for you. You have helped me so much with your encouragement and advice... you deserve only the best. Hey! maybe we could send over one of those really buff guys to fluff your pillows and massage your feet with scented oils while you relax on a bed of rose petals...

Your friend, Val.

Tammie on 1/01/02 at 13:56 (068351)

I am really sorry for you that must have been extreamly scary! I do hope that all is well and that you feel better soon. ER can be very frightening not to mention the ambulance. I do hope that someone could be there with you! Have a Happy New Year

Beverly on 1/01/02 at 14:21 (068356)

Thanks for all the kind words. My head feels fine today. The ER doctor gave me Fioricet and Rompazone. Since all the drugstores are closed today, I have yet to try them, but I'll have them around if I get another migraine. I certainly hope not!

The whole time it was happening, I was as concerned for my feet and ankles as I was for my head. I had the presence of mind to put my braces on before I left in the ambulence. And I'm glad I took a change of clothes. I was in my nightgown when the ambulence came. It would have been very embarrassing, not to mention cold to go home in a taxi in a night gown!

My Dad lives out in the country and I didn't want to worry him. My brother is not helpful in emergences, and the handful of friends I've kept up with since I've been on house arrest, I figured they were getting ready for New Year's Eve parties. My apartment was only a $5.00 taxi ride away. So, that's how I got home. I called Dad after I got home and knew I was ok.

I do truely feel for anyone who suffers from migraines. I'm glad I don't get them often. I think this was my 3rd or 4th in my life and none of the others compared to this one.

Thanks,
Beverly

wendyn on 1/01/02 at 14:24 (068358)

Beverly - sorry about your awful experience!

I had a migraine like that a few years ago, but it wasn't accompanied with a lot of pain. More the spots. It was really frightening because it was like there were big holes in my vision. Thankfully, it went a away, and so did the migraines. I now get about one every few years (mine seem to be hormone related and since I stopped the Pill I don't get them).

Is there anything that triggered yours?

linda A on 1/01/02 at 16:11 (068366)

hello beverly ! i truly feel for you and anyone else who has been thru this . the last time i experience this was in oct of this year . i was in the mental hosp for my bi-polar disease . the hosp personnel did not know what i was experiencing , so i went several days being treated w/ extra strength tylenol . all i knew my eyes could not take any light and i hated sound , the spots and being sick to my stomach did not come until the third day . finally the doctor told me i was having a migraine and order midrin . i was saved w/ that drug and being in a dark room . it was the fact of having no caffeine in my system that caused the migraine . you see in a mental hospital they take that priviledge away from you . i don't drink coffee , but i do drink a hot cup of tea and diet big red . i had migraines before , but they were so much different than this one . you see i have a big problem w/ lights . i wear a tinted shade of lens on my glasses . working in the surgery dept causes a big problem for me ,especially if i happen to come in contact w/ the big spotlights . immediately after the case i ask for the lights to be shutoff , so i can to do my work . anyway beverly it is good thing you went to the e.r because there are several diseases related to headache : brain tumors, cerebrospinal fluid in the brain , low blood sugar , nerve pain , pressure on carotid artery , and stroke , this is just to name a few of them . i looked at my diet tring to eliminate some of the tyramines foods( chocolate,aged cheese,soy sauce,yogurt,etc) , nitrites ( bologna , pepperoni, bacon, corned beef , etc ) , monosodium glutamate ( chinese foods , soups , dry roasted nuts , diet foods etc. ). i hope this helps you . your friend linda a ( lou., KY )

Suzanne D on 1/01/02 at 16:30 (068369)

Dear Linda,

I'm sorry to hear that you, too, have migraines. I totally understand what you are saying about how LIGHTS affect you! I couldn't tell you how many meetings I have attended where there are flourescent lights, and I end up with a migraine. Once I got one from sitting too near a Christmas tree with the running lights! Also, I cannot use an overhead projector at school because I can't stand to be right there over the light.

I'm glad Midrin helps you, too. And, yes, caffeine helps me when I am beginning to get a headache. I will try to go get a soft drink or eat a little piece of chocolate at the time if I can. I know that might not be nutritional, but at the time, getting rid of the PAIN is uppermost(especially when I have a roomful of little children needing me)!

I hope it is a LONG time before you have another migraine, Linda!

:-) Suzanne

Necee on 1/01/02 at 17:33 (068376)

Beverly,
My goodness! What an ordeal, I'm glad that your tests revealed nothing abnormal and that you are home and feeling much better.
I know ER's are a very uncomfortable place to be. I spent 9 hrs there back in Oct myself.
I do hope that you didn't have to go through that ordeal alone. Thank goodness my husband was with me, and also my dear cousin (we are more like sisters) came when she heard I was there.
Take care Beverly and I hope your New Year is filled with peace.
Happy Trails....
Necee

JudyS on 1/02/02 at 14:00 (068447)

Beverly - what an ordeal for you! How are you today? Do you have any idea what brought the migraine on? I've not had one, but a couple of friends of mine have and they literally can't move with them. Hope you're able to relax today.

Beverly on 1/02/02 at 16:01 (068456)

Thanks for asking, Judy. I feel better. Still a bit of a headache, but nothing like before. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with my internist. There are so many headache meds out there, I want to take something that is right for my system. Plus, I'd like to have my doctor follow up on this anyway.

I'm not sure what provoked it. Two possibilities. I'm going through stress with Dad as he puts together papers for if he becomes incapactitated... not left on life support, ect. He's 79, and it is smart to be thinking about these things. Talking about a parent's potential last wishes... funeral plans, is stressful anyway you look at it. He's teaching me where he keeps all his personal records, ect. My family tends to live to 100 and loose the mind way before the body.

The only other thought I had was that I bought an electric blanket last week. The day before the migraine, I woke up in the middle of the night too hot and with a headache. But the morning of the migraine I woke up with my electric blanket turned down on low. So, it may have nothing to do with it.

I'm very prone to allergy headaches. I've always reacted to bad smells, mold, and bright light has always bothered me.

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Carole C on 1/02/02 at 16:16 (068458)

Beverly, I'm sorry to hear that your Dad thinks it's time to do this, but you are right, it's probably about time. My Mom filled out a 'Living Will' (one of those papers for if she gets incapacitated, to not remain on life support forever) the week before Christmas. She is 92 and was in the hospital then and her doctor had her do it. It made me feel so sad. She is out of the hospital now but I probably have the same feelings as you at least a little bit.

I know nothing about migraines but do you think that the electric blanket has something in it that you are reacting to? It probably feels great in this weather. I had a friend in college with migraines that would knock him to the floor like that, so I know it's possible for migraines to be that bad. I'm glad you are seeing your internest! He will be able to answer your questions, and a suggestion would be that you might want to make a list of them to take with you.

Glad you are feeling better!

Carole C

Carol C on 1/05/02 at 14:52 (068830)

Beverly...a few things to consider. I have had headaches for a number of years----I did not realize they were migraines, but considered them to be
more of a troublesome, dull, achey headache that I got several days a week with an increase in pain usually the week before my period each month.
I mentioned this to my GYN Doctor and he helped somewhat...there is a
Birth Control pill called MIRCETTE that is used to help with Hormone related headaches. He put me on those and it did seem to help.
Also, when I saw a Neurologist for evaluation for Tarsal Tunnel syndrome,
in his general neurological evlauation, he ask me about headaches and when
I told him about these headaches, he said that they are migraines.
He said that a headache does not always have to be the severe
and debilitating type to be classified as migraine and to justify treatment
as such. The neurologist started me on a preventive medication called
TOPAMAX for the headaches. I take the medication twice a day and have been most pleased with the results. I have gone from headaches averaging
four days a week to maybe four headaches in the past SIX MONTHS.
If you continue to have problems---you may want to ask your doctor about
TOPAMAX as an option. The medication is expensive....over $250.00 for a
single months dosages---but my insurance covers it and all I have to pay
is my $20 co-pay. The reduction in headaches has been well worth it to me
to take the medicine on a daily basis.
Best wishes to you.