Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sedation and Ossotron - Dr Reid

Posted by John B on 1/01/02 at 09:04 (068316)

Thank you for responding to my last query.

Are there any contraindications or side effects of a local anaesthetic for example injecting lignocaine prior to ossatron treatment. What are the chances of an adverse reaction? What is the medical response to such an event?

Thanks
john B

Re: Sedation and Ossotron - Dr Reid

DR Zuckerman on 1/01/02 at 16:14 (068367)

Here are some of the side effects with local anesthesia

1. Allergic reaction very rare
2. fear of needles . fainting
3. Pain from the injection
4 incomplete nerve block thus pain during the procedure

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:24 (068488)

The Ossatron is a high power machine and thus requires some form of anesthesia. Intravenous sedation is used in my area instead of local blocks.

The low energy units such as Sieman's Sonocur require no anesthesia. I believe the Orba-sone used by Dr. Z falls in that category----check with him to be sure.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:28 (068489)

PS Sorry about the intentional mis-spelling of Dr. Z's unit----I had to do it because the correct spelling is blocked from this site.

With all due respect to the FDA, Scott, lets not restrict free speech. I can understand their concerns with respect to the approval process but that should not prevent a free, open and honest discussion of such matters.
Ed

Dr. Reid on 1/03/02 at 18:11 (068582)

There can be side effects of locals, but people who have a problem with then would already know it, ie an allergic response, vascular response. As long as the proper amounts are given, you do not need to worry. There is a the possibility that the fluid in the area of shockwave could change the physics of the treatment.

DR Zuckerman on 1/01/02 at 16:14 (068367)

Here are some of the side effects with local anesthesia

1. Allergic reaction very rare
2. fear of needles . fainting
3. Pain from the injection
4 incomplete nerve block thus pain during the procedure

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:24 (068488)

The Ossatron is a high power machine and thus requires some form of anesthesia. Intravenous sedation is used in my area instead of local blocks.

The low energy units such as Sieman's Sonocur require no anesthesia. I believe the Orba-sone used by Dr. Z falls in that category----check with him to be sure.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/02/02 at 22:28 (068489)

PS Sorry about the intentional mis-spelling of Dr. Z's unit----I had to do it because the correct spelling is blocked from this site.

With all due respect to the FDA, Scott, lets not restrict free speech. I can understand their concerns with respect to the approval process but that should not prevent a free, open and honest discussion of such matters.
Ed

Dr. Reid on 1/03/02 at 18:11 (068582)

There can be side effects of locals, but people who have a problem with then would already know it, ie an allergic response, vascular response. As long as the proper amounts are given, you do not need to worry. There is a the possibility that the fluid in the area of shockwave could change the physics of the treatment.